HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trotz calls out a few players after today's practice

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-09-2011, 09:15 AM
  #26
Legionnaire11
Registered User
 
Legionnaire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hendersonville
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
so we got a group of guys bellyaching bout Leggy and Marty, then Trotz gets on them and it's "ho, hum, nothing here".... Guess he could bench them and play Belak and Mueller. Good grief.....
Are you saying that this actually IS some kind of news? That we haven't seen this before?

Trotz knows what he's doing, he knows who can take the public criticism and be the example for the team, and he knows who needs to be pumped up a bit at times. This really is the same kind of news that comes out every year after a stinker like that.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 09:31 AM
  #27
token grinder
Registered User
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 4,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
He should have thrown some sticks on the ice when that third goals was allowed. Then he would have been thrown out and maybe that would have lit a fire under a team that played badly they would have been shocked that Trotz went off and tow the line then.
yes. Thats what i want. A team with a clown for a coach. This isn't the damn movies. It is professional sports, and a certain level of professionalism and decorum is expected.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 09:59 AM
  #28
Preds Partisan
Nothing
 
Preds Partisan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
I do find it interesting after reading 33's Blog this morning that he is now skating with 29 and 25?
Trotz calls out a few guys, and Wilson gets moved. With Sullivan back, someone had to be moved, and it seems like 33 is getting shuffled again.
I was with Trotz until I read that too. Wilson has more upside than any player on the roster, yet he's demoted to a checking line. Looks like Trotz is speaking out of both sides of his mouth---again. Apparently this was nothing more than the same ol' Trotz criticizing vets, but not really doing anything about it, then actually making an example out of a younger player in Wilson. (Wilson got a little time with Ward/Smithson the other night by the way.)

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 10:17 AM
  #29
Fortheloveofthegame
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 1,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
I was with Trotz until I read that too. Wilson has more upside than any player on the roster, yet he's demoted to a checking line. Looks like Trotz is speaking out of both sides of his mouth---again. Apparently this was nothing more than the same ol' Trotz criticizing vets, but not really doing anything about it, then actually making an example out of a younger player in Wilson. (Wilson got a little time with Ward/Smithson the other night by the way.)

Ya, I watched your game and saw that Trotz moved Sullivan into Wilsons spot with 11 and 27. Just trying to figure out why Wilson keeps being the scapegoat? Until 2 games ago he was tied in scoring with Kostytsin and Hornqvist and was +11. Doing all this with linemates constantly changing and position changing as well as not being put out with EN, as 74 has points from. Is this another "
It is not only 33. I think even though Dumont has been very "streaky" he could be used in more of a role on this team as well.
Your lines change (other than 10, 74, and 9), as often as some people change underwear, so it could all be different by tonight!

Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:20 AM
  #30
deanwormer
Registered User
 
deanwormer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteandblue View Post
[/B]
Ya, I watched your game and saw that Trotz moved Sullivan into Wilsons spot with 11 and 27. Just trying to figure out why Wilson keeps being the scapegoat?
Cause, like it or not, Wilson can't play center in the Preds system. So - you wanna' move Sully up, what do you do? SK and Horny? - they stay, leaves Wilson and Erat. Personally, I'd move Erat to the line with JP and leave Wilson where he is.

deanwormer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 01:07 PM
  #31
token grinder
Registered User
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 4,128
vCash: 500
maybe it is beacuse he needs t spend a little time with two defensively responsible forwards so he can attempt to stickhandle around 3 people 3-4 tumes a game and turn the puck over without fear of an odd-man rush.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 01:29 PM
  #32
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
maybe it is beacuse he needs t spend a little time with two defensively responsible forwards so he can attempt to stickhandle around 3 people 3-4 tumes a game and turn the puck over without fear of an odd-man rush.
Can't tell if you are talking about Erat or Dumont here.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 01:46 PM
  #33
roseyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
yes. Thats what i want. A team with a clown for a coach. This isn't the damn movies. It is professional sports, and a certain level of professionalism and decorum is expected.
Sometimes a coach has to come out of character instead of being a lovable loser. Do you want to win or just look good losing

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 02:27 PM
  #34
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19
 
gopreds19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeyh View Post
so Trotz calls out two highest paid guys, that both have NTCs, and are in the midpoint of their contract.

Their response? K, whatever coach.

Trotz did the same thing last year with calling them out... *yawn*
Poile got taken to the cleaners by Erat, Legwand, and Dumont's agents. Poile over-payed and locked them in forever here. You'd think that Poile would say, "hay we're paying you over market value, we're not going to sweeten it with a NTC." Now they're paid, they're financially secure for years to come, and they don't have a lot of incentive to bust their *****.

Poile also should have done more due diligence to protect the team in case Lombardi's melon went mushy again. No wonder he was still around a couple of days into FA. Other GMs probably read the small print with respect to insurance and said, "no thanks."

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 02:50 PM
  #35
token grinder
Registered User
 
token grinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 4,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
Sometimes a coach has to come out of character instead of being a lovable loser. Do you want to win or just look good losing
I would rather him take defeat and ****** callas against him like a man, like a professional, rather than look like an clown and an idiot. I like the teams I root for to be somewhat good role models. Factor in that my 3 year knows who he is and knows he coaches the predators and pretends to coach his baby sister in my kitchen eating a lineup card (old ticket stubs), I'd say I want him to remain a good professional

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 02:59 PM
  #36
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,839
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I would rather him take defeat and ****** callas against him like a man, like a professional, rather than look like an clown and an idiot. I like the teams I root for to be somewhat good role models. Factor in that my 3 year knows who he is and knows he coaches the predators and pretends to coach his baby sister in my kitchen eating a lineup card (old ticket stubs), I'd say I want him to remain a good professional
I will say that when you have someone who is known for being "professional" like Trotz is and almost always has been, when he does blow a gasket, it is usually quite effective mainly because its so out of character.

Makes you wonder if maybe when bettman read trotz's quote about the officiating he didnt immediately think how much he was going to fine him, he probably thought "wow, it must have been bad for trotz to complain to the press" and maybe he ordered the game tape to review...

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 03:44 PM
  #37
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,960
vCash: 500
Throwing sticks on the ice is way too dramatic. Trotz can make comments about officials to the media, he can call his own players out, and he can shout at the top of his lungs from the bench when a play or call is obviously ********. We don't need a Ron Wilson-type whiner, and I have a feeling that Trotz throwing sticks on the ice to display his anger would create that image.

Volde, however, makes a good point that an extreme action might raise eyebrows because it would be out of character. I just don't think it needs to be something THAT out of character. I'd rather him get into a heated argument with an official and be ejected without anyone really knowing what he said than such a visual display of poor sportsmanship.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 04:56 PM
  #38
roseyc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,065
vCash: 500
The late coach Pat Burns was known for his tantrums and one of most sucessful coaches in nhl history. He did as some say blow his stack but he got the most out of his teams that he coached. The point of Trotz is the calls from the Philly game and even in the Detroit game and the Edmonton game. We aren't getting a fair shake in the calls by any means. That Philly game was patethic. To say that we lost because of the disallowed goal is hard to tell but then we would have the lead for the first time in an extremely tight game. There were numerous non calls that went Philly's way and Detroit get calls in our building. I didn't see the Oiler game but from the accounts of the game that 3rd goal shouldn't have been allowed. In all fairness a 2 goal lead is not insurmountable as much as a 3 goal lead. If you can't get calls in your own barn then something is wrong. I know that we aren't the darlings of the nhl but fair is fair and if the rules aren't fair then you can't play gentlemently in an unfair settings

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 06:24 PM
  #39
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,960
vCash: 500
I'm not sure I'd consider Pat Burns to be one of the most successful coaches in NHL history. He won a cup, but only one (though I'm pretty sure he coached another team to the finals one other time and lost). Still, he coached in markets like Montreal, Toronto, and New Jersey which are all unarguably entirely different from Nashville . Do you honestly think Trotz is going to wake up anyone in the NHL to the problems with officiating that have been perpetually getting worse since the lock out by throwing tantrums? I don't see the city responding well either. Even to me it would come across as immature and overly dramatic, and not only do I respect Trotz immensely but I am well aware of the problems with bad officiating. I'm with token on this one

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 07:05 PM
  #40
Dodgie
Registered User
 
Dodgie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 172
vCash: 500
From today's pre-game show:

Callahan asks Ryan Suter about Trotz calling out players by name in the paper.

Ryan Suter: "Most of us don't read the papers."

Anyway, Trotz must know what he's doing.

Goal #1: Martin Erat
Goal #2: David Legwand

Alright Hornqvist, you're NEXT!

Dodgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 08:31 PM
  #41
OpenWheel
Registered User
 
OpenWheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Keweenaw Peninsula
Country: United States
Posts: 1,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgie View Post
Anyway, Trotz must know what he's doing.

Goal #1: Martin Erat
Goal #2: David Legwand
So, if we assume Trotz will at most do this about every dozen games, we can peg Erat and Leggy for 3 maybe 4 more goals the rest of the way?

I don't want Trotz throwing sticks but we do get jonesed on the calls too often. I think he should make a public comment about it regularly for awhile. Just a few times, not enough that the players buy into it so much they blame the officials for losses.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 09:24 PM
  #42
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,960
vCash: 500
I didn't see a replay of the Edmonton goal everyone was talking about until they showed their replays of disallowed goals (ours in Philly and the BJs' against Detroit). That is definitely complete crap.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 09:39 PM
  #43
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,959
vCash: 500
I don't understand how Sully is able to come back and take Wilson's spot. Sully still isn't 100%. Wilson with Hornqvist and Legwand have put up very good overall numbers. But hey, let's break them up. That makes sense. It's the case of not wanting to upset the vets on the team, although Dumont doesn't fall into that category anymore. It's as if Dumont is a beaten down spouse and just takes what the other spouse gives out. Sully on the other hand was like, hey, I'm not a 4th line player, you better put me where I belong. Unfortunately, he looks like he's having problems skating and it's only a matter of time before he breaks down again. I would've left Wilson where he was and let him make some mistakes here and there because the good he was doing outweighed any of the bad things he was doing, IMO. Yet again, Trotz trying to break the young kids of any offensive creativity.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 09:48 PM
  #44
kivaerijo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: EastNashville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,372
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
maybe it is beacuse he needs t spend a little time with two defensively responsible forwards so he can attempt to stickhandle around 3 people 3-4 tumes a game and turn the puck over without fear of an odd-man rush.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Can't tell if you are talking about Erat or Dumont here.
and i thought it was sully..what does that say?

and glen..i agree. sully should be the one on a lower line. he is only getting minimal minutes anyway at the moment and seems lost imo.

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 09:50 PM
  #45
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,839
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I don't understand how Sully is able to come back and take Wilson's spot. Sully still isn't 100%. Wilson with Hornqvist and Legwand have put up very good overall numbers. But hey, let's break them up. That makes sense. It's the case of not wanting to upset the vets on the team, although Dumont doesn't fall into that category anymore. It's as if Dumont is a beaten down spouse and just takes what the other spouse gives out. Sully on the other hand was like, hey, I'm not a 4th line player, you better put me where I belong. Unfortunately, he looks like he's having problems skating and it's only a matter of time before he breaks down again. I would've left Wilson where he was and let him make some mistakes here and there because the good he was doing outweighed any of the bad things he was doing, IMO. Yet again, Trotz trying to break the young kids of any offensive creativity.
I think Trotz made it clear he wasnt pleased with Legwand or Hornqvist.

did it occur to you that maybe he made the move to try to get them going, not necessarily to demote Wilson?

plus Wilson had clearly had some defensive lapses lately, and what better line to put him on where someone can cover him if he does it again?

and anyway, it seemed to work out well for all parties tonight, didnt it?

lets see how long Wilson stays on this line before you declare it part of trotz's nefarious plot to thwart Wilsons offensive development

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 09:58 PM
  #46
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I think Trotz made it clear he wasnt pleased with Legwand or Hornqvist.

did it occur to you that maybe he made the move to try to get them going, not necessarily to demote Wilson?

plus Wilson had clearly had some defensive lapses lately, and what better line to put him on where someone can cover him if he does it again?

and anyway, it seemed to work out well for all parties tonight, didnt it?

lets see how long Wilson stays on this line before you declare it part of trotz's nefarious plot to thwart Wilsons offensive development
He was already bumped to the lower line against Edmonton. This started before the comments.

And yes it did work out just fine tonight but that line has not been an issue. They haven't been getting the puck to the back of the net as much as we and Trotz would like but they've been generating chances every game.

And come on, you've watched this team long enough to know anytime anything goes wrong that younger guys are gonna get demoted. Playing with Smithson and Ward can't be fun...lol.

The other thing is, even if Wilson is turning the puck over, he's got Legwand out there to help cover. If Sully turns the puck over, which he does equally as much, what's the difference there? There is none. I could breathe on Sully right now and he'd turn the puck over. You have to throw a body on Wilson to get the puck off his stick unless he makes a poor pass. Wilson is the future. Sully is the past. The sooner Trotz realizes this, the sooner this team will grow.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 09:59 PM
  #47
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,959
vCash: 500
And seriously, what's the Jeckyl and Hyde routine lately. Consistency in your team Barry, consistency, that's all I ask.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 10:02 PM
  #48
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,839
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
And seriously, what's the Jeckyl and Hyde routine lately. Consistency in your team Barry, consistency, that's all I ask.
meh...I'll take winning two out of every three all year long, even if they are crazy bipolar mood swings like these three..

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 10:05 PM
  #49
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
meh...I'll take winning two out of every three all year long, even if they are crazy bipolar mood swings like these three..
2 out of 3 is great but when the 4 before was 0-3-1 and then there was the 5-0 stretch behind that, it's a big much of a rollercoaster. Either suck or be good. Please. Hope you're doing well.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 07:35 AM
  #50
OpenWheel
Registered User
 
OpenWheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Keweenaw Peninsula
Country: United States
Posts: 1,967
vCash: 500
Well, nobody told me this or I would have predicted a win. It wasn't just that Trotz called them out Tuesday, he taught them how to shoot!

Trotz Drills Team on Shooting Puck - Tennessean

Quote:
The theme of the Predators' practice on Tuesday was simple.

"We were talking about bearing down," Coach Barry Trotz said. "Some guys go through practice and throw muffins at the net. Anybody can stop those."

"We did a couple of drills where I asked the guys, 'Just bear down. Anytime you get the puck, get it to the net, get it there quickly, get it there with purpose,' " Trotz said.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.