HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

NBC-VS. likely to keep NHL

Old
02-09-2011, 06:19 AM
phantomphan

vCash: 500
NBC-VS. likely to keep NHL

One of the more interesting parts of the article is
Quote:
In addition, the source said, Flyers owner Ed Snider “won’t let the NHL leave” Versus and NBC. “And I’d be very surprised if he would devalue the brand by letting ESPN have even a secondary national cable package.” In addition to his position as a powerful NHL team owner and member of the league’s Board of Governors Executive Committee, Snider is American Chairman of Comcast Spectacor.
http://nhl-red-light.si.com/2011/02/...u-s-tv-rights/

phantomphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 06:34 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomphan View Post
One of the more interesting parts of the article is

http://nhl-red-light.si.com/2011/02/...u-s-tv-rights/
Good.

ESPN bailed on the NHL in their time of need. Let VS and NBC continue to get the ratings. VS is just about everywhere now and I like NBC's coverage.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 07:48 AM
Bort Sampson

At first I wanted the NHL to go back to ESPN for the sheer idea of increased coverage for the NHL. At this point, though, I'd rather that not happen. The increased coverage for the NHL would only come as a result of labor disputes in both the NBA and NFL. Those won't last forever. When the labor disputes end, and both the NBA and NFL return to ESPN(in the form of live games and pre/post-game coverage), the NHL will become marginalized again.

I'd rather the NHL just improve the VS coverage of live games. Better announcers, more shows relating to hockey on the channel itself, and more double-headers throughout the season.

This is just from the point of view and interest of the fan, not a business person.

On a side note, does anyone know why the American NHL Network cut down HNIC to only the first game? I think I came across the information somewhere but can't remember.

Bort Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 08:22 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I'm fine with this if they get a nightly highlight/news show. Not Hockey Central that is on only when games are on. I'm talking something like NHL 2 Night from back in the day. That would be great.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 08:37 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

DFF that won't happen. NHL Network covers that now, which wasn't really around back when ESPN had the NHL.

Old
02-09-2011, 08:57 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort Sampson View Post
On a side note, does anyone know why the American NHL Network cut down HNIC to only the first game? I think I came across the information somewhere but can't remember.
Oh, that stinks. Did you guys get After Hours after the late game as well? I really enjoy watching that if I'm at home and/or awake.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 09:08 AM
Unstable

Mmmm...all power to 1701 JFK!

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 09:22 AM
MCAKES

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'm fine with this if they get a nightly highlight/news show. Not Hockey Central that is on only when games are on. I'm talking something like NHL 2 Night from back in the day. That would be great.
bro nhl overtime is dope

MCAKES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 09:27 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
If the NHL is really bigger than the NBA like they believe, then they'll take the money and have a split cable TV deal with them. VS can have all the rating they want from the NHL fact of the matter is it still doesn't make a dent in ESPN. Now, the NBC brand might change some things because VS let the NHL down by not being able to land another major sport.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Mgkibbles

Of course Ed Snider won't let it leave. He has interests in both VS and NBC. It'd be bad business for him not to put up a fight.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 10:21 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAKES View Post
bro nhl overtime is dope
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
DFF that won't happen. NHL Network covers that now, which wasn't really around back when ESPN had the NHL.
I'm not a huge of NHL Overtime or NHL on the Fly.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Flyersfan139

I like NHL on the fly while the games are on cause they just show highlights and give you live looks into games.

Flyersfan139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
If the NHL is really bigger than the NBA like they believe, then they'll take the money and have a split cable TV deal with them. VS can have all the rating they want from the NHL fact of the matter is it still doesn't make a dent in ESPN. Now, the NBC brand might change some things because VS let the NHL down by not being able to land another major sport.
You fundamentally don't understand what is going on. Comcast is in a blood feud with ESPN, they are not going to cut a deal with them. The entire idea of VS from the Comcast viewpoint was to compete with ESPN and cut into their viewers. That's why they bid on the NFL and all that jazz.

Comcast as a corporate entity doesn't care whether the NHL would be better off having a dual cable package, they're in it for themselves. And you can be damned sure they're salivating at the thought of the NBA and NFL going into prolonged labor disagreements next fall leaving them with the only live sporting events once baseball is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'm not a huge of NHL Overtime or NHL on the Fly.
Well, those programs are essentially exactly what you just asked for... so don't know what to say.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 10:55 AM
i am dave

While I love Ed Snider, and feel that a strong Comcast = a strong Flyers, I can't see how adding ESPN as a secondary network would devalue the NHL brand.

The NHL has the opportunity to dictate terms here, and it's a no-lose situation. They can have their cake and eat it too. Take Vs/NBC as your marquee network, guaranteeing them exclusive national broadcast rights on certain nights, and then have ESPN fill in with regional coverage on other nights. If ESPN refuses taking the backseat role, the NHL simply walks away.

Let's face it, more networks means more playoff coverage. Don't we all miss seeing 4 playoff games a night in the opening round?

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 10:58 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
And you can be damned sure they're salivating at the thought of the NBA and NFL going into prolonged labor disagreements next fall leaving them with the only live sporting events once baseball is done.
Not too get too OT, but how likely is it that the NBA or NFL is going to have a lockout (hope both happen)? Is one more likely than the other?

The NFL one just seems like it's gonna come down to the wire and then boom, everything's gonna be alright.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:02 AM
Spav1789

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Good.

ESPN bailed on the NHL in their time of need. Let VS and NBC continue to get the ratings. VS is just about everywhere now and I like NBC's coverage.
Really? Because I think both VS. and NBC announcers are a bunch of bumbling, Crosby/Ovechkin dick sucking, *** guzzling ******s (minus Jonesy of course). But hey...that's just me.

Spav1789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:03 AM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
The NFL one just seems like it's gonna come down to the wire and then boom, everything's gonna be alright.
I agree with this. There's far, far too much money at stake for them to miss a season, or even a portion of a season. The regular season won't be affected at all.

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:06 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spav1789 View Post
Really? Because I think both VS. and NBC announcers are a bunch of bumbling, Crosby/Ovechkin dick sucking, *** guzzling ******s (minus Jonesy of course). But hey...that's just me.
Well, the NHL wants those players hyped. I'd expect ESPN to do the same exact thing.

Old
02-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

A three-net TV deal won't devalue it. The NBA is making more money than ever off of TV because of it (The NFL has been multi-net for 40 years, so not a real comparison). The NBA even forces cross-promotion.
Always a shot the CBS cables (TNT, TBS, etc.) could want in for a package of games.
I'm just glad we aren't hearing things like this:

Quote:
The NBA has said it expects a loss of about $350 million this season, and Commissioner David Stern said in October that owners want to reduce player salary costs by about $750 to $800 million annually. James is one of the league's highest-paid players, signing a deal with Miami last summer worth roughly $110 million over six years.
That's for the person who wondered if the NBA will lock out. That's from an AP story that moved last night. I coulddn't find it on Yahoo to link to it, but will work to find a public link if necessary.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:10 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
At first I liked the idea of hockey back on ESPN, but I've thought about it and I'm fine with Vs still carrying it. NBC I thought could still have it, for it sounds like the NHL pretty much bosses NBC around.

How the hell is the NBA still in business? I guess that "super team" didn't work out to their best advantage.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:11 AM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-train View Post
I agree with this. There's far, far too much money at stake for them to miss a season, or even a portion of a season. The regular season won't be affected at all.
Agreed. There's a reason the NFL is the strongest league of all the major sports. They're not stupid. They don't have the risk of losing fans the way the NHL did (and to a lesser extent, MLB), but there's way too much money on the table to cancel a season.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:11 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Not too get too OT, but how likely is it that the NBA or NFL is going to have a lockout (hope both happen)? Is one more likely than the other?

The NBA is way more likely to miss time. Something like half their teams are losing massive amounts of money and their salary structure is beyond ridiculous.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 01:25 PM
SgtJoseph

I am happy if the NHL stays the heck away from ESPN and that bunch of sophmoric fratboy fools. No network has done more to cheapen sports than ESPN.I wish a new sports network would rise up that don't mock or turn sports into their own little comedy show full of old tired worn out phrases like Chris Berman and Stewart Scott have used to nauseum.I think the Versus channel is making good progress, and it shows that they are happy about having the NHL on their channel.I get to see a lot of games down here in Florida because of Versus/NBC ETC...

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 01:32 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Horrible news.

Even though ESPN bailed on hockey, they still had better coverage than those numbnuts who are there now at VS and NBC.

Id rather it be back on ESPN and NBC, so I can hear the ESPN theme song for Hockey Night.

Oh yea, and I miss the **** out of Gary Thorne and Steve Levy calling games.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 01:38 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
I'm not sure how much hockey ESPN could cover. If I recall correctly when they did have it, they didn't pay much attention to it. I think Verses covers more hockey than ESPN could. Due to the fact, hockey is Verses main sport.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote