HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Comments Wanted on P-D Coach Q Article

Closed Thread

Old
10-10-2003, 04:30 AM
TimothyR

vCash: 500
Comments Wanted on P-D Coach Q Article

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...ange+his+style

Wow. Few articles cause me to post, but this one did. I would like your opinions on it.

IMHO, this article was long overdue. I think that it is both right on and some SERIOUS BS at the same time (I know that most articles are that way, but this one seems so far off).

Here are two of my thoughts:

"Players and former players swear by him." - I guess not enought of them because this team has been plagued by lackadaisical and inconsistent efforts.

"Quenneville has dissected on first sight what some coaches need tape to pick apart. That allows him to make instant corrections." - WHAT??? Isn't one of the biggest knocks against him is that he can't adjust to changes in the game??

Also, Derrick failed to mention his, (I will give Q credit for this one in that it was up to last year), fetish with washed up defencemen and his unwillingness to play rookies.

Old
10-10-2003, 04:49 AM
Irish Blues

To a large part Q has to deal with the players Pleau gets, but on the other hand Pleau won't get a guy Q doesn't want....so getting washed up defensemen is on both of them. I will agree on the in-game adjustments comment - I think we've all been critical of Q's inability to get the feel of a game to make adjustments at times, much like LaRussa's seeming inability to manage with a feel for the game at times (but IMO LaRussa does a much worse job of this....but that's for another thread on another forum).

The inconsistency is a 2-way thing as well, if Q's not on the whip this team seems to think their talent level will get them through most games and then they wind up struggling vs. the Florida's, Carolina's and other weak teams. (Or, they get rolled 8-3 by Atlanta.)

But, I think both Q and the players realize this year is it - if they don't get the job done (or at least die trying to get there), it's all over for a bunch of people with the Blues. There won't be excuses from fans (they didn't want to hear them after losing the series to Vancouver), there won't be "they did a good job trying" comments - it'll either be the Cup or some guys in the locker room will be shown the back door of the arena and told not to come back.

10-10-2003, 06:10 AM
execwrite

I was interested in the discussion about Quennville saying he has to change and become more involved with the players. Hard to switch your methods after seven years, but I'll guess we'll see if he can do it.

To me the key factor is that he has one more year left on his contract. If he didn't I think the Blues would have let him go after last season's playoff collapse. He is a good coach and someone else probably would have hired him, but at some point the Blues have to get to a Stanley Cup final with this talent level.

HOWEVER - the crutch of not having top-level goaltending is always there and it's a valid point. Quennville hasn't had great goaltending and it's tough to win without that. That's Pleau's responsibilty, not the coaching staff.

Old
10-10-2003, 06:26 AM
Frenzy1

He has also had injuries to deal w/, especially to key players. The Blues, with all the injuries (not even talking about pronger here) could have folded the same way LA Kings did.

Having said that, I think Q does need to crack the whip. I understand that he lets the players regulate themselves, but every now and then the coach needs to bust heads just to make a point.

I am glad that Pleau went to 4 players and essentially called them out. I think the team is on a mission by the way the org. has addressed the media and the way the players seem to have focus. The team knows what they have to do and now have to get it done.

Keep in mind that at this point, Q is coaching for a contract. If the team falls flat, sure, he might get another job, but the $$ will be a lot lower then it would if they make some serious noise.

Old
10-10-2003, 08:58 AM
execwrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1

Keep in mind that at this point, Q is coaching for a contract. If the team falls flat, sure, he might get another job, but the $$ will be a lot lower then it would if they make some serious noise.
That's a very good point. He might get another job at an average salary if he leaves, but if Quennville wins and stays here he should get security and big bucks.

Old
10-10-2003, 10:12 AM
Nick Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyR
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...ange+his+style

Wow. Few articles cause me to post, but this one did. I would like your opinions on it.

IMHO, this article was long overdue. I think that it is both right on and some SERIOUS BS at the same time (I know that most articles are that way, but this one seems so far off).

Here are two of my thoughts:

"Players and former players swear by him." - I guess not enought of them because this team has been plagued by lackadaisical and inconsistent efforts.

"Quenneville has dissected on first sight what some coaches need tape to pick apart. That allows him to make instant corrections." - WHAT??? Isn't one of the biggest knocks against him is that he can't adjust to changes in the game??

Also, Derrick failed to mention his, (I will give Q credit for this one in that it was up to last year), fetish with washed up defencemen and his unwillingness to play rookies.

I agree with the previous posters in that no coach could do anything with the injuries that the Blues have had to key players. Also, Coach Q will definitely play newcomers- if they work hard. He's had no problem in the past playing guys like Handzus, Hecht, Salvador, Jackman, Bogie, Cajenek (although he is older). At any rate, you will get your wish this season (especially tongiht) when Rycroft, Nicklaus, Sejna, and Hereema will all be playing.

Closed Thread