HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Get used To It Anaheim

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2003, 11:24 AM
Frenzy1

vCash: 500
Goalies were trying to get any advantage they could. (Which is why Gigi and other used a flip pad to cover the 5 hole). It is competition and EVERYONE is looking for advantages.

Does anyone know how much the speed of shots has increased (just kind of wondering)?

Also, everyone makes a big deal about height of the leg pads, when it is the width that counts. Good to see some kind of enforcement going on this year, but I believe at least one goalie, maybe two will be caught w/ illegal pads this season..

Old
10-09-2003, 11:28 AM
JDB3939

Send a message via AIM to JDB3939
Giguere starts out slow every year. 3 years in a row I have drafted him for Fantasy hockey, the last 2 years I got sick and tired of him by November and dropped him and then he heats up and starts playing out of this world. It's just the way he is. His season starts flat and gets better.

Old
10-09-2003, 11:37 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD
Check Out Fedorov's Bio on the Ducks Site

http://mightyducks.com/team/players_desc.asp?id=144

....lists playing with the Russian Five (Fedorov, Igor Larionov, Pavel Datsyuk, Maxim Kuznetsov, Dmitri Bykov) with the Detroit Red Wings as his greatest hockey memory.

some idiot heard this line, looked at the roster last year, and assumed thats what he ment.
thats priceless........

Old
10-09-2003, 11:39 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heater15
You clowns never read all the way through do you? I knew some brain damaged bozo's would reply with crap like "Barnes is on pace for 162 goals".

THAT'S WHY I PUT "Sure it's 1 game but I love it already"

I can't stress enough the above comment, SURE IT"S 1 GAME!!!!!!!!!!

You still haven't explained the appearance by Havlat in this magical pre season game "schooling Hasek". I think, perhaps, you meant Hossa, but it doesn't matter as the flame loses its gusto when you make a mistake like that.

Old
10-09-2003, 11:41 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur
Companies are trying to do just that, but try to take a 90 mph slap shot to chest sometime, or off the shoulder.....then you can understand it from a goalie's standpoint.

two things.......

your beer league have players shooting 90 mph?

You think the NHL didnt have players ripping 90 mph shots in the 70's and beyond?......when goalie equipment wasnt as tech (or big)

Old
10-09-2003, 11:54 AM
mmbt
Cheeky Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra
two things.......

You'd be surprised how many retired pros or Div I hockey players are playing in beer leagues, at least the more advanced leagues.

Quote:
You think the NHL didnt have players ripping 90 mph shots in the 70's and beyond?......when goalie equipment wasnt as tech (or big)
There was that shot last night by Modano that hit Giguere in the upper body that had him down for a few seconds. It obviously got to him, even with his pads.

Just curious, what % of people who think goalie pads should be minimal are folks who have actually faced powerful shooters?

Old
10-09-2003, 12:38 PM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Quote:

....lists playing with the Russian Five (Fedorov, Igor Larionov, Pavel Datsyuk, Maxim Kuznetsov, Dmitri Bykov) with the Detroit Red Wings as his greatest hockey memory.

some idiot heard this line, looked at the roster last year, and assumed thats what he ment.
Wow, that's bad.

Old
10-09-2003, 01:24 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbt
You'd be surprised how many retired pros or Div I hockey players are playing in beer leagues, at least the more advanced leagues.

There was that shot last night by Modano that hit Giguere in the upper body that had him down for a few seconds. It obviously got to him, even with his pads.

Just curious, what % of people who think goalie pads should be minimal are folks who have actually faced powerful shooters?
Wasn't that Guerin? Anyways, it appeared to hit him on the very edge of his padding, up by his neck.

Old
10-09-2003, 01:29 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Quote:
You clowns never read all the way through do you? I knew some brain damaged bozo's would reply with crap like "Barnes is on pace for 162 goals".

THAT'S WHY I PUT "Sure it's 1 game but I love it already"

I can't stress enough the above comment, SURE IT"S 1 GAME!!!!!!!!!!
Then why bother to make a post with conclusions that are totally irrelevant? You are the one getting carried away here, not everyone else.

Old
10-09-2003, 01:42 PM
S.S. Giggy
RIP 1974-2011

Quote:
Sergei Fedorov: -3 +/- rating --> solid defensive play on the Zubov goal
Vaclav Prospal: 1 SOG --> so nice to see him and Fedorov "EASILY" replacing Kariya and Oates
Rob Niedermayer: 1 goal, -3 +/- rating
JS Giguere: GAA 4.00, .818 Save % --> equipment restrictions come into effect and all of a sudden Giguere looks like a backup

My brother is a die-hard Habs fan and he himself said he never would have thought Theodore would have such a brutal season after a Hart and Vezina season. Giggy came off of an oversized equipment wearing Conn Smythe winning season - if you want a prediction for Giggy, refer to how Theodore played last season.

Him and Fedorov will try to hard and it wont work, there seasons will be mediocre at best. Prospal will have the last laugh - let's look at Alexander Daigle on this one - 1 good season he gets the money then he goes back to stinking out the joint until his next UFA season comes up.

Sure it's 1 game but I love it already. Hopefully the same will hapen to Detroit with Hasek and hammerhead Hatcher. I still wanna go back to the pre-season game this year against Ottawa where Hasek got schooled and Hatcher was watching Havlat in front of the net - the idiot didnt have a clue what was going on and it costed them a goal...which turned into a loss
Giguere did not change his pads, they were LEGAL.

Old
10-09-2003, 06:33 PM
The Frugal Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Giggy
Giguere did not change his pads, they were LEGAL.
According to the ESPN announcers last night, you are not technically correct. Giguere was forced to remove some kind of flap that protects the 5-hole, according to them.

Old
10-09-2003, 06:50 PM
Coffey77

Giguere's goalie pads don't look that big. It's the chest and shoulder protection that is too excessive IMO, anyway. I don't know if making the nets bigger is a good idea but goalies couldn't use the safety argument like they can with size restrictions.

But hey, I've never had guys shoot at 95 MPH on me so I don't if all that equipment is too much or not. Makes me really feel sorry for goalies in the old days with no masks. Especially when they had to play against Bobby Hull.

As for beer leagues, Joe Kocur during the first part of the 1996-97 season was in one of those leagues. I think Stephane Richer was in a beer league too, so I'd imagine there might be other former pros playing too.

Old
10-09-2003, 09:31 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
Well if we are going to be judging by one game, Stu Barnes, Jeff Jillson, and Scott Niedermayer are all going to have 164 goals and the Devils and Bruins will set an NHL record with 82 ties.
Chistov can beat that. Last year, he was on his way to a 328 points season after having played only one NHL game. Ever :p

Regarding Giggy and this thread. He is a much better goalie than Theodore, so I don't see him having too many problems this year, certainly not at a scale similar to Theo.

However, Prospal is indeed a waste of cash and I was expecting Fedorov to sruggle a bit at first. He won't have as good a season as last year but Sergei IS a world class talent. I think he will find a way to get going. Same with the Ducks as a team.

Old
10-09-2003, 09:55 PM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugal Gourmet
According to the ESPN announcers last night, you are not technically correct. Giguere was forced to remove some kind of flap that protects the 5-hole, according to them.
And all four goals came up top, so I don't think that was the difference.

Nice to see the Ducks *loved* by fans everywhere! Two games and it's Schadenreude... last year, SOUR GRAPES!

Old
10-09-2003, 09:57 PM
duckjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra
two things.......

Obviously there were players in the the 70's that could shoot like that. However with the super light composite sticks, there are A LOT more players that are capable of shooting at that speed. And anyone that could before can shoot that much faster.

Old
10-09-2003, 10:04 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyp
And all four goals came up top, so I don't think that was the difference.
It probably wasn't but I would say it could be. Any area that needs more attention (now that the flaps are gone there's one) can potentially put a goalie off his game overall.

Not saying it was the case, though.

Old
10-09-2003, 10:04 PM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
It probably wasn't but I would say it could be. Any area that needs more attention (now that the flaps are gone there's one) can potentially put a goalie off his game overall.

Not saying it was the case, though.
Ask Lalime if it pulled him off his. He had to get rid of the flap, too. A lot of goalies did.

Old
10-09-2003, 11:08 PM
_Del_

vCash: 50
Quote:

LOL...

Old
10-09-2003, 11:14 PM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingboy2999
Wow, that's bad.
You know, if they had hired one of US we wouldn't have made that mistake.

I guess it was a coincidence that there were five Russians on the Red Wings last year...

Old
10-10-2003, 12:36 AM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyp
Ask Lalime if it pulled him off his. He had to get rid of the flap, too. A lot of goalies did.
Indeed. I believe Luongo was also affected by the rule and statistically, it seems he was fine tonight.

I believe the new rule will affect certain goalies for sure but who and how? Time will tell.

Old
10-10-2003, 05:05 AM
Frenzy1

One comment on the Pads.

Most people associate size of pads w/ protection. I don't, and heres why:

Making pads wider and taller do not add more protection, because you are not adding to the thickness of the padding. Making the pads wider and taller do not add any extra vital coverage (other then maybe knee and lower thigh - which are already covered anyways). You leg is only so wide and so tall, increasing the size (when it is already covered does nothing to add to protection).

Now if a gaolie wants to place pads out on the chest (making them thicker) he would gain no advantage (unless he is sideways to the coming shot) but would receive better protection.

Look at Snow and his shoulder pads, makes him look like he has not neck. Noone can tell me that those "pads" protect his collar bone, unless he is lying face flat on the ice and is taking shots.

Old
10-10-2003, 05:29 AM
Looger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesey
now THAT would be a record...
like the unholy goalie from wayne and schuster, quite possibly the only funny skit they ever had...

Old
10-10-2003, 10:27 AM
kingbrath

vCash: 984
well you guys definatley showed Heater his place hahaha
nicely done I hate when ppl make quick judgement about things they can't possibly know about yet!

Closed Thread