HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trades

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2005, 10:18 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recidivist
You added an assumption (Adam Foote wants to come here and we can sign him) that of course changes conclusions. Would I rather have O'Neill and Foote than O'Neill and McCabe? Sure. First, sign Foote then see if we have some way to keep McCabe and trade someone of lesser usefulness to Carolina for O'Neill.

But trade McCabe for O'Neill even up? Nah.
Your suggestion is possible .. If Carolina has interest in McCabe lets say .. Then the GM's have a deal in principle O'Neill for McCabe .. subject to Leafs finding a replacement to Bryan once the UFA begins in August ... Who knows the possibilities this UFA may bring ..

What if McCabe $$$ & cap space room could be used towards Niedermayer, Pronger, Blake, Hatcher, Foote etc ??

You have to think with a year in lockout and GM's itching to get going .. Lots of GM's have spent the year talking among themselves so a good GM should have been proactive during the break to know exactly all interest from other teams for its players. perhaps deals are already made and just need to be announced once they CBA is ratified ..

Old
07-15-2005, 10:27 AM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
What if McCabe $$$ & cap space room could be used towards Niedermayer, Pronger, Blake, Hatcher, Foote etc ??

I can drive a Hummer through your "could be used" conditional question. Of course if cutting McCabe loose permits us to sign a number one defenseman I would do so. I would also do this if we could sign a Thornton or a Richards or a Lecavalier or any number of first-line forwards. I would also trade clod Belak for Kovalchuk if I could.

Obviously any move affects any further moves. In the absence of a definite signing of another number one defenseman I would prefer not to trade our current number one defenseman for any forward less than a first team all-star.

Old
07-15-2005, 10:44 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recidivist
I can drive a Hummer through your "could be used" conditional question. Of course if cutting McCabe loose permits us to sign a number one defenseman I would do so. I would also do this if we could sign a Thornton or a Richards or a Lecavalier or any number of first-line forwards. I would also trade clod Belak for Kovalchuk if I could.

Obviously any move affects any further moves. In the absence of a definite signing of another number one defenseman I would prefer not to trade our current number one defenseman for any forward less than a first team all-star.
Fair enough ..

Not sure I follow the drive a Hummer through though point ..

Isn't this about timing really? .. McCabe is under contract .. So Leafs could and would go into UFA season and see what happens .. They could sign a TOP UFA player still be below the Cap and then in turn decide to trade any player including McCabe to free up cap space for another player ??

You seem to make it seem that my hypothetical "What If" example is so far fetched or obvious if you prefer, in that if you can find a better player you let a less one go .. However I see it as the "What If " becomes fact rather then fiction and occurs by a UFA signing .. If you don't find an upgrade you keep McCabe ..

But really isn't what you are saying the goal of GM in fact to improve his team at all times and if you can upgrade at a position you should always do it, now the extra twist from before the new NHL requires your to perhaps subtract as well as add to make things fit ..

You could take your example to the extreme .. If Joe Thornton was available now at 26 you may consider buying out Mats even in fact and start from new ..

Personally with all the comments McCabe made during the lockout, perhaps a fresh start in a none Hockey hotbed may be good for him in fact ..

Closed Thread