HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I might feal sorry for leaf fans

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2005, 10:40 AM
cjbhab*
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
Aaaahhh !!! Good times, good times. Hockey is back in the air, and the children come out to play.

Kind of returns a sense of normality to the boards.

As recent years history would dictate:

Prior to October - "The Leafs suck, their goalie is old and fragile, our team is much better," and now we get the delightful addition of "lol, you got no cap room, you're screwed."

Usually a mini slump at the begining of the season brings out the best of "Your laffs aren't even gonna make the playoffs", "Serves you right for trying to buy your way in by signing all those guys", "have fun watching our team in the playoffs" and now "so you managed to get everyone in under the cap, but look where it got you"

When things get rolling it becomes: "They can't do this forever", "Your guys look like their slowing down", "they'll have nothing in the tank for playoffs" and now "at the trade deadline, our team will get better than yours, you have no cap room to add players, lol"

Trade deadline:
"You guys soooo overpaid for him", "He's washed up, that's why he was traded", and now "You guys are screwed, he's going to take up a ton of cap room for your offseason".

And when all is said and done, and we've been entertained for the most part by our team we get "LOL, no way you guys repeat next year", "We're set with prospects, you have none, your future is screwed" and now "Bet you regret trading for him now, how are you going to fill in your roster, see, Leafs sux, lol".

Rinse and repeat.

Yes indeed, hockey is back.

yep, its good to see hockey back.

Btw, I apologize if I offended anyone in here, sorry for "making trolling remarks like 1967"

Old
07-14-2005, 10:42 AM
Tuggy

Oh but Dar *this* year will be different....because it's all coming true this time.

Old
07-14-2005, 10:46 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboner
No he won't... these are RFA's. Sens are fine.
Sens will be fine, they have a couple mistakes to buy-out, de Vries and and Smoke. Did they trade for Bondra?

Hossa will have to settle for something, who knows what the rules are going to be going forward, but the Sens will fit in nicely under the cap. Won't make them any better but they'll get under the cap.

Hasek might turn the clock back a couple years, and might stay healthy, but Eddie's been an ironman in comparison.

But does that really matter?

This is the NNHL, and it is all about money, that is the scorecard that counts, the bottom line.

Pro-owners won, so disregard what is on the ice, and focus on the money.

Bottom line rules, 70% of those polled agree.

Old
07-14-2005, 10:49 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbhab
yep, its good to see hockey back.

Btw, I apologize if I offended anyone in here, sorry for "making trolling remarks like 1967"
Accepted.

Now we're gonna trounce those Habbies, regardless of the line up.

Leafs over the years could have a horrendous team, and yet against the Habs, they'd play their best.

Some of us more mature and I use that term loosely, fans remember watching the powerhouse Habs (in the old days) and the Leafs would still give'm a battle.

Old
07-14-2005, 11:06 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Some of us more mature and I use that term loosely, fans remember watching the powerhouse Habs (in the old days) and the Leafs would still give'm a battle.
which is why I think of the Habs as our greatest rival; despite the events of recent.

Old
07-14-2005, 02:40 PM
Rusty Shackleford
Leafs Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67
which is why I think of the Habs as our greatest rival; despite the events of recent.
I can see us being big rivals with Montreal again ecspecially with the talent in their farm system, and our money to be able to sign UFA's it'll be interesting to see Toronto and Montreal both competitive for the same time that hasn't happend in a while.

Old
07-14-2005, 02:44 PM
Rusty Shackleford
Leafs Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
I'm still surprised no one in Quebec has any faith in the Habs.

I honestly feel sorry for Hab fans, they had to go begging to an American to keep the team in business. It will be sad to see him move it like they did the Expos.

How the once proud franchise has fallen into such a state is truly amazing.
I don't know about that cause Montreal will ice a solid team this year not as good as the Leafs but still 3rd place solid.

Old
07-14-2005, 07:53 PM
MacDaddy TLC*

The Official game of the Leafs Board

Old
07-14-2005, 09:34 PM
JimmyPage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
When things get rolling it becomes: "They can't do this forever", "Your guys look like their slowing down", "they'll have nothing in the tank for playoffs" and now "at the trade deadline, our team will get better than yours, you have no cap room to add players, lol"

Trade deadline:
"You guys soooo overpaid for him", "He's washed up, that's why he was traded", and now "You guys are screwed, he's going to take up a ton of cap room for your offseason".

And when all is said and done, and we've been entertained for the most part by our team we get "LOL, no way you guys repeat next year", "We're set with prospects, you have none, your future is screwed" and now "Bet you regret trading for him now, how are you going to fill in your roster, see, Leafs sux, lol".

Rinse and repeat.
I like the end of this. Granted the Leafs have been competitive of late. But you forgot the objective which is the Stanley Cup. Oh well, I guess the consolation prize is that you were entertained for 37 years. Rinse and Repeat.

Old
07-14-2005, 09:43 PM
MacDaddy TLC*

It's like whack a troll. We get rid of one and two more pop up.

Old
07-14-2005, 10:46 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
wow .. the 1st flame war of the year ..
Leafs are fine..
but I don't expect them to have a better roster than last year IMO !
habs are still far away to contend for the cup ..
end of the discussion !
thank you, good bye!

Old
07-14-2005, 10:59 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
This message is hidden because cjbhab is on your ignore list.

Old
07-14-2005, 11:07 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTOM
This message is hidden because cjbhab is on your ignore list.
Hey SSJ

They need a global troll ignore button here at HF...

So instead of just ignoring a single poster you can type in a team name "HABS" or "SENS" and then all posts on your home board by those trolls is ignored ..

Old
07-14-2005, 11:13 PM
NewGuy

I think all of this talk about the Leafs' cap problems is overblown. They may have been in trouble if buyouts were not allowed, but since they are (and they have the financial resources to buy players out) they should have no problems.

Mats Sundin $6.84 million
Owen Nolan $5,627,047
Ed Belfour $4.56 million
Bryan McCabe $3.458 million
Tomas Kaberle $2.28 million
Ken Klee $1.9 million
Darcy Tucker $1.596 million
Matt Stajan $805,600

Total $27,066,647

Owen Nolan will be bought out (no doubt in my mind), that's a lot of cash for someone who may not give you a full season. So
$27,066,647 - $5,627,047 = $21,439,600 for 7 players.

Assuming a full roster needs 21-23 players then the leafs have ($39,000,000 - $21,439,600=) $17,560,400 to sign 14-16 players.

Restricted Free Agents:
Nik Antropov, Wade Belak, Alexei Ponikarovsky, Aki Berg, Chad Kilger, Karel Pilar, Nathan Perrott.

I doubt any of these guys even sniff $1,000,000/year except possibly Antropov. The Leafs can probably add this group (or equivalent players) for $4,500,000.

Now they're looking at 7 to 9 players with $13,060,400 to spend.
If they try to bring in some younger players (i.e.: Wellwood, Steen, Colaiacovo, Tellqvist) and sign a few fourth line / AHL type guys (i.e.: Wilm, Ling, Aubin), then they can probably have 8 to 9 million to spend on 2 to 4 guys. (i.e. Roberts, Nieuwendyk, Lindros?, Allison?).

Will the Leafs be able to load up at the trade deadline anymore? Probably not, but this could be a good thing because they've never found the guy that could put them over the top.

Will the team be as good? Who knows??? It's impossible to say without getting an idea of which free agents are signing where. (Although from what i've read Niedermayer, Aucoin, Foote and others may just end up playing for 5 or 10 teams each. I guess that's their way around the cap ).

Old
07-15-2005, 05:45 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 237
I know that from what i have seen on line

it looks like Nolan and Belfour are the two contracts that some would like to shed

what is the fealing from TOML fans

Old
07-15-2005, 06:23 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
I would like to say that all leaf fans woudl love to keep everyone

belfour and nolan are great players and if they go they will be very misssed

Old
07-15-2005, 01:23 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor of MacAppolis
It's like whack a troll. We get rid of one and two more pop up.
I would not call myself a troll

cause I have been here before

I just wanted to get the leafs perspective on how they were viewing the current roster vs the cap that comes in next week

it will not just be about money any more--it will be trying to get a bunch of players--where some will have to do what Paul K did in col last season to come to play.

Some reports had Paul K taken a 5mill hit on a offer from detroit to play for the aves--

Closed Thread