HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

My Leafs- Post CBA

Closed Thread

Old
07-14-2005, 04:02 PM
Leaf Army

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap
Seems reasonable, but I echo the point others have made that we are unlikely to get Foote for so little. Could be wrong, but i think it unlikely.
What do people think of De Vries? I think there's a decent chance he could be bought out by Ottawa. The Leafs were in the running for him last season before the Rangers offered him that huge contract.

If he does get bought out, I think he'd be a good pickup if guys like Foote or Rathje prove to be unrealistic.

Old
07-14-2005, 04:16 PM
trentmccleary

With names like Rathje and Foote being thrown around, I'm not sure that DeVries is what you're looking for. I think he's worse defensively and better offensively than his reputation would suggest.
But if Toronto wants to save Ottawa the money it would take to buy him out.... I would accept a 10th rounder in 2005 for him.

Old
07-14-2005, 04:23 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary
But if Toronto wants to save Ottawa the money it would take to buy him out.... I would accept a 10th rounder in 2005 for him.
Sure you wouldn't take an 8th. this year? I'll put 5 cents towards his buy-out, wouldn't want the Sens to be over budget already.

Old
07-14-2005, 04:29 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
What do people think of De Vries? I think there's a decent chance he could be bought out by Ottawa. The Leafs were in the running for him last season before the Rangers offered him that huge contract.

If he does get bought out, I think he'd be a good pickup if guys like Foote or Rathje prove to be unrealistic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary
With names like Rathje and Foote being thrown around, I'm not sure that DeVries is what you're looking for. I think he's worse defensively and better offensively than his reputation would suggest.
I would like Devries except that Sens fans seem almost universally to be down on him. Fans are often wrong about defencemen, imo, but still it makes me cautious.

Old
07-14-2005, 04:44 PM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Anyone care to explain why TSN has Nolan's salary listed as $7,404,009 before the roll back and not $6.5 mil? It seems to be an odd number for it to be a typo.

TSN Link

Old
07-14-2005, 04:47 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Anyone know what the Devils are doing for defense this year?

Unrestricted Free Agents: Scott Niedermayer, Brian Rafalski, Scott Stevens

Old
07-14-2005, 06:49 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55
Anyone know what the Devils are doing for defense this year?

Unrestricted Free Agents: Scott Niedermayer, Brian Rafalski, Scott Stevens
Wishing they were going into this new UFA season with McCabe, Kaberle and Klee under contract ..

Old
07-15-2005, 12:12 PM
habfan4

Quote:
As for Foote (or Rathje for that matter) I haven't heard anything to suggest that they are interested in leaving Colorado or San Jose. Only thing is a vague reference that Steve Simmons made last year about Foote wanting to come Toronto as a UFA.

So like I said, I'm not counting on either of them but as UFA's I think attempting to get one of those two should be a priority for the Leafs.

If Foote needs more than $2.5, I've still left about a million in cap room. Plus, guys like Berg and Belak who both make close to a million could be candidates for trade or buyout. Even Klee too if that's what it would take.
Truth be told, I think both players will re-up with their respective clubs.

In terms of Foote's price tag, which will rise given potential multiple bidders, if you have to buy out other players to get him his overall value falls as the costs rise. Could be done but it wouldn't be painless, IMO unlikely.

Quote:
As for Lindros the last rumour I heard (on TSN) was that Lindros could come as cheaply as the league minimum plus bonuses. Don't know exactly how his contract would work.
I saw that as well. The panel even mentioned a one time clause that bonuses for players such as Lindros and Allison may not fully count against the cap for a year or so.

Quote:
Nieuwendyk and Roberts I don't think are too low, but again it's hard to say. Nieuwendyk was a UFA prior to last season and he went almost the whole summer before signing with anyone. I think the Leafs ended up signing him for $2 million or something, so I don't think $1.5 is unreasonable this time around. Roberts should get about the same I think.
In hindgsight, I think you're numbers are closer to correct than I originally thought. At any rate they're not far off, given the age and the reluctance to move yet again for both players.

Quote:
Yes Belak is under contract. I wouldn't be totally upset if one of them wasn't back, but we'll have to see how things shape up. For now it's just as realistic to pencil Belak in there as anyone else.
I thought he was a RFA?? So be it.

Old
07-15-2005, 12:30 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4
I thought he was a RFA?? So be it.
You're right, he's an RFA- my mistake. What I meant though was that I put down roughly the cost to qualify if they want to retain him.

I like Belak, but if they cut him loose (don't qualify him) it certainly wouldn't be the worst thing. Plus like you said, his replacement would likely cost less.

Closed Thread