HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

NBC-VS. likely to keep NHL

Old
02-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
I did not know about the Comcast-ESPN history.

On a semi-related side note, sports radio here recently talked about what it's like to work with or for ESPN...and apparently it's a petty hellhole, with tons of backstabbing and vendettas held for insignificant reasons. Apparently NFL owners also have a habit of cultivating VIPs in ESPN as a method of information control...bad mouth the wrong guy, and you're on the blacklist.

Apparently.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I did not know about the Comcast-ESPN history.

On a semi-related side note, sports radio here recently talked about what it's like to work with or for ESPN...and apparently it's a petty hellhole, with tons of backstabbing and vendettas held for insignificant reasons. Apparently NFL owners also have a habit of cultivating VIPs in ESPN as a method of information control...bad mouth the wrong guy, and you're on the blacklist.

Apparently.
All the cable providers hate ESPN... ESPN charges a metric ton for the cable providers to carry their channels, and then they pull stunts with their new networks like ESPNU. A few years back they were putting big time SEC football games on ESPNU (in local markets) purely to get people to call their cable providers and demand ESPNU.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 10:56 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Sure it's in the NHL's interest to be in the most homes for the most money it can get. Doesn't mean that is in Comcast-NBC's interest. The entire reason VS came into existence was because Comcast has been in a blood feud with ESPN for years. They attempted a hostile takeover of ABC-Disney (or whatever it's called) to get their hands on ESPN. When that failed, they decided their next best plan would involve creating a competitor network that could potentially compete with ESPN... to that end they signed on the NHL and tried to sign on the NFL (a bid that failed).

So, the NHL is in a situation where NBC-Comcast are offering up NBC-VS with the NHL as the centerpiece (right now with exclusive negotiation rights)... a deal which may disappear the moment the NHL starts talking about getting in bed with ESPN. And, frankly, if there is NFL/NBA next year, you're not looking at a lot of great time slots with ESPN necessarily.

I agree, the NHL would be better off with some connection to ESPN; however, I don't see Comcast/NBC signing on for that... they've simply shown way too much antipathy for ESPN for that to happen.
Overall, I'd be interested in seeing how an NBC-branded sports network matches up to ESPN. With more a more credible backer, succeed where VS didn't quite pull their weight.

ESPN has also been trying to get in on NBC's Olympic action. With a higher profile outlet, more exposure would hopefully prompt the Olympics to stay on NBC. A second credible sports network forces ESPN to stop being all TMZ with their reporting.

I wonder how this will affect all the local outlets Comcast has, because that's one thing ESPN doesn't have, and if they would leave all the local FSN's be.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2011, 11:15 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Overall, I'd be interested in seeing how an NBC-branded sports network matches up to ESPN. With more a more credible backer, succeed where VS didn't quite pull their weight.

ESPN has also been trying to get in on NBC's Olympic action. With a higher profile outlet, more exposure would hopefully prompt the Olympics to stay on NBC. A second credible sports network forces ESPN to stop being all TMZ with their reporting.

I wonder how this will affect all the local outlets Comcast has, because that's one thing ESPN doesn't have, and if they would leave all the local FSN's be.
At last check, Comcast is the largest cable provider in the nation and NBC has been a bit of a blundering moron. Not sure they're a more credible backer. Remember, Comcast bought NBC... not the other way around.

Old
02-09-2011, 11:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
ESPN takes hockey seriously. A bunch of their main people are actual hockey fans (not just kinda sorta). Linda Cohn used to play goalie, for example. ESPN, however, has a lot more going for it than VS and they put on the TV what makes them the most money.
Their talking heads take it seriously. The network itself does not. When high school basketball plays are making the Top Ten without a single hockey play making the cut, that strikes me as a huge red flag.

Old
02-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Jester

Quote:
Their talking heads take it seriously. The network itself does not. When high school basketball plays are making the Top Ten without a single hockey play making the cut, that strikes me as a huge red flag.
America likes basketball.

Old
02-09-2011, 11:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
America likes basketball.
Yeah, but high school?

edit: I have seen episodes of sportscenter where they spend all of 2 minutes recapping the previous night's hockey games, and then dedicate at least twice as much to women's basketball. Let's be honest...women's basketball is much less popular than hockey.

Old
02-09-2011, 11:31 PM
Jester

Quote:
Yeah, but high school?

edit: I have seen episodes of sportscenter where they spend all of 2 minutes recapping the previous night's hockey games, and then dedicate at least twice as much to women's basketball. Let's be honest...women's basketball is much less popular than hockey.
It is. The NCAA Women's Tourney is also aired on ESPN... so, pimping women's basketball helps make ESPN money.

It isn't a complicated or nefarious thing that ESPN is doing... they're running a business.

Old
02-09-2011, 11:38 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

I never said it was nefarious. It just bothers me. I am a consumer who isn't getting what I want, and instead, I get fed a bunch of crap I couldn't care less about.

The Lebron James fiasco really killed ESPN for me. They're like that smug know-it-all kid who gets elected class president because nobody else wanted to run, and then he acts like it's a big deal that he pulled out the win...and now everyone has to put up with his crap. I really hope that VS manages to truly compete with ESPN.

edit: argh, hit post too soon. As for hockey, the general apathy the network at large shows towards the sport just gives me bad vibes about how they would handle things if they had coverage. Not that I think they'd purposefully drive it into the ground...that isn't in their interest. Just expect it to be bad.

Old
02-09-2011, 11:48 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
At last check, Comcast is the largest cable provider in the nation and NBC has been a bit of a blundering moron. Not sure they're a more credible backer. Remember, Comcast bought NBC... not the other way around.
Oh I know, I guess what I mean by being "more credible" is that they're a national, basic television network. Although come to think of it, Universal Sports doesn't promote itself as being "NBC." I guess I thought that because Versus as a name isn't associated with Comcast like 'Comcast SportsNet' is. They're supposed to rename Versus, so it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Old
02-10-2011, 12:06 AM
Jester

Quote:
I never said it was nefarious. It just bothers me. I am a consumer who isn't getting what I want, and instead, I get fed a bunch of crap I couldn't care less about.

The Lebron James fiasco really killed ESPN for me. They're like that smug know-it-all kid who gets elected class president because nobody else wanted to run, and then he acts like it's a big deal that he pulled out the win...and now everyone has to put up with his crap. I really hope that VS manages to truly compete with ESPN.

edit: argh, hit post too soon. As for hockey, the general apathy the network at large shows towards the sport just gives me bad vibes about how they would handle things if they had coverage. Not that I think they'd purposefully drive it into the ground...that isn't in their interest. Just expect it to be bad.
When I was in college, ESPN's hockey coverage was *ing fantastic. You had NHL2Night, and during the playoffs they aired 3 games a night. So, I could theoretically watch the Flyers game plus parts of whatever other two games were on ESPN at that moment, plus a Western Conf. game after that.

All this without getting into the fact that I loved Gary Thorne and Clement as a broadcast team.

I think you need to embrace the fact that as a hockey fan, you are a minority of the sports market from a business perspective. A quite loyal and vocal minority, but a minority nevertheless.

Last edited by Jester: 02-10-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old
02-10-2011, 12:07 AM
Jester

[snip]

why can't we delete posts anymore?

Last edited by Jester: 02-10-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old
02-10-2011, 12:21 AM
Villedelphia*

Quote:
When I was in college, ESPN's hockey coverage was *ing fantastic. You had NHL2Night, and during the playoffs they aired 3 games a night. So, I could theoretically watch the Flyers game plus parts of whatever other two games were on ESPN at that moment, plus a Western Conf. game after that.

All this without getting into the fact that I loved Gary Thorne and Clement as a broadcast team.
right on

Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 12:25 AM
Mr Oysterhead

One of my good friends that graduated from ASU has worked for ESPN cutting highlights and doing office work the last two and a half years. Basically echoed what has been expressed in this thread already, that ESPN is lame to work for except for an exclusive group that gets paid an ass ton/garner some celebrity status.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 06:39 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
I like McClain, but Cherry is a moron.

CBCs announcers are solid, but I have to say Doc Emrick is the best in the business. NHL on NBC does have its benefits
I agree to this 100%.

Quote:
Yeah, but high school?

Well, to be honest, 90% of the viewers of ESPN channels are likely mail. Showing stuff like women's basketball is a way to try to draw in the woman viewer.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 06:46 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:

I think you need to embrace the fact that as a hockey fan, you are a minority of the sports market from a business perspective. A quite loyal and vocal minority, but a minority nevertheless.
Which is why I think that VS keeping it is a good move. This sport thrives on loyalty. VS has been loyal since the time they came to the NHL in their time of need, and are working their way up the chain to potentially in 10 years compete with ESPN.

I understand it's business, but I think it'd be pretty ****** of the NHL to use VS as a stepping stone to get back to ESPN after essentially helped them out and, though mutually beneficial, helped get the sport back to a pretty decent status. It's like getting a new girlfriend (rebound) two days after your old girlfriend dumps you in hopes that the old girlfriend gets jealous and wants you back.

Old
02-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Which is why I think that VS keeping it is a good move. This sport thrives on loyalty. VS has been loyal since the time they came to the NHL in their time of need, and are working their way up the chain to potentially in 10 years compete with ESPN.

I understand it's business, but I think it'd be pretty ****** of the NHL to use VS as a stepping stone to get back to ESPN after essentially helped them out and, though mutually beneficial, helped get the sport back to a pretty decent status. It's like getting a new girlfriend (rebound) two days after your old girlfriend dumps you in hopes that the old girlfriend gets jealous and wants you back.
Well, it's a two-way street. Both sides need to pander to their own best interests. If VS had gotten the NFL bid... are we so sure they would have given the NHL the attention they have? The best of all worlds would have the NHL with a presence on both networks (just as the NBA is present on both ESPN and TNT). However, as noted above, that just doesn't seem feasible given how Comcast has operated the past 10 or so years. Given that, then I would tend to agree that it represents a choice between a network that has been rather loyal as opposed to a network that isn't going to necessarily prioritize the NHL the way VS does.

Old
02-10-2011, 09:39 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Well, it's a two-way street. Both sides need to pander to their own best interests. If VS had gotten the NFL bid... are we so sure they would have given the NHL the attention they have? The best of all worlds would have the NHL with a presence on both networks (just as the NBA is present on both ESPN and TNT). However, as noted above, that just doesn't seem feasible given how Comcast has operated the past 10 or so years. Given that, then I would tend to agree that it represents a choice between a network that has been rather loyal as opposed to a network that isn't going to necessarily prioritize the NHL the way VS does.
Good point on the NFL bid. And I do like the NHL getting all the attention on VS. It seems like if you watch any other shows, you can't go 30 minutes on VS without an NHL channel.

Simply put, if you look at it only in terms of price and loyalty, you'd have to say, assuming VS offers less than ESPN, ESPN's offer has to be greater than VS offer + whatever value VS's loyalty is. If ESPN's offer blows VS out of the water, I'd expect them to jump ship.

Old
02-10-2011, 06:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:

I don't remember the ESPN coverage that well. My gripes with ESPN run deeper than hockey, though. I'd like it if they could give more coverage to a variety of sports, instead of spending about 20 out of 24 hours on the NFL and NBA.

Quote:
[snip]

why can't we delete posts anymore?
The forums have been glitchy of late.

Old
02-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Orange Crush 89

I'd give anything to see the Flyers (tv wise) turn into the Braves of the 90s where no matter where you lived in the US you could see every single game. Just to piss everyone off. haha! Pipe dream.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Slowbro

ITT:

hockey fans who are angry that nfl and nba get more air time than their beloved sport.

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crush 89 View Post
I'd give anything to see the Flyers (tv wise) turn into the Braves of the 90s where no matter where you lived in the US you could see every single game. Just to piss everyone off. haha! Pipe dream.
Well, Chicago, SJ, and Washington would all be in there with us.

Old
02-11-2011, 04:51 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:

ESPN had pretty good coverage early on. Then NHL2night got cut to a couple of times a week, then gone entirely, and that was BEFORE they lost the contract.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 06:12 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
ESPN had pretty good coverage early on. Then NHL2night got cut to a couple of times a week, then gone entirely, and that was BEFORE they lost the contract.
In their defense, NBA2Night was cut also.

Old
02-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Orange Crush 89

Quote:
Well, Chicago, SJ, and Washington would all be in there with us.
Mr. Ed would make it happen.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote