HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Team Building Exercise on Steroids: Habs lose 8-6 in the craziest game of the year.

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2011, 09:41 AM
Gary320

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
It's the Clive Warren incident all over again...

Karl Pilkington reference
Yeah.. I won't lie. I had to google what you meant. I LOLed.

Old
02-10-2011, 09:43 AM
KirkMuller93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
OK, Habs need more Hall of famers like Larry Robinson?? WOW BRILLIANT. I wish I would've thought of that.

Lucic is one of the best middleweight fighters in the league and is on pace for like 35 goals... you think these kind of players grow on trees??? Wah wah wah PG go get guys like Lucic, Cory Perry & Chris Pronger!!!! Easier said than done Mr. EA sports GM.

You think this forum would've accepted keeping O'Byrne over Weber? Schultz and Bournival?? OH YEAH teams like Toronto are doing so well with "tough" AHLers.

Pyatt can be replaced with a tough guy since he is basically useless but asides from that, it is easier said than done to find top 9/D6 talent at a good price that can fight and play hockey well.
Dude are you Ok???

Old
02-10-2011, 09:48 AM
KirkMuller93

Quote:
OK, Habs need more Hall of famers like Larry Robinson?? WOW BRILLIANT. I wish I would've thought of that.

Lucic is one of the best middleweight fighters in the league and is on pace for like 35 goals... you think these kind of players grow on trees??? Wah wah wah PG go get guys like Lucic, Cory Perry & Chris Pronger!!!! Easier said than done Mr. EA sports GM.

You think this forum would've accepted keeping O'Byrne over Weber? Schultz and Bournival?? OH YEAH teams like Toronto are doing so well with "tough" AHLers.

Pyatt can be replaced with a tough guy since he is basically useless but asides from that, it is easier said than done to find top 9/D6 talent at a good price that can fight and play hockey well.
Out of all those players I mentioned Mcphee, Skrudland, Corson, Ludwig, Green only Robinson was the hall of famer, yet you quote my post implies that we need hall of famers?? Do you have a difficult time reading?

Old
02-10-2011, 09:48 AM
googlymoogly

I have to say I did lose respect for guys like Cambell(punching with an elbow pad) Thornton and Boychuk for hitting players that were down or given up. They don't deserve any code from anyone in the league. I suspect some other players around the league might of seen a guy like Thornton attacking a non fighter and you can bet he's going to get his some day and hopefully the other enforcer keeps pounding on him he crossed the line last night.

Old
02-10-2011, 09:51 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
I'm not sure if it's that the Bruins have necessarily "built" a team for escalation, as much as it is a collective reaction to what the team has experienced over the past couple of years.

I say this because the Bruins got called out for not responding to Matt Cooke's hit on Savard a year ago, and Bergeron's hit by Randy Jones the year before that. In the Savard case they were called out by Neely, by Chiarelli, by the press as a whole, etc... Everyone around the league questioned their willingness to stand up for one another. Add to that the collapse against Philly in the playoffs and you have a recipe for a team that feels like it has "something to prove" - and needs to answer the bell each and every time in terms of physical and mental toughness.

Tough price to pay to get there, but in the long-term I'm glad the Bruins demonstrate that edge to their game as a result.

I can understand Habs fans feeling some was over the line... I can also understand the Bruins thinking that in the past they've perhaps been to much of the "nice guys" and as a result they've received participation pins instead of trophies.
My exact thoughts. The stars were alligned last night for this to happen. If I'd be a Bruins fan I would have wanted my team to come out like that and have that killer instinct. Bruins just lost Savard, game at the Boston garden and vs the Habs. Theres no point for the Habs to match player to player the Lucic, Thornton and Chara. Bruins are not the Habs and Habs are not the Bruins. That said, next game between the 2 teams end result is gonna be a coin toss.

Old
02-10-2011, 09:52 AM
Maverik

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkMuller93 View Post
Out of all those players I mentioned Mcphee, Skrudland, Corson, Ludwig, Green only Robinson was the hall of famer, yet you quote my post implies that we need hall of famers?? Do you have a difficult time reading?
He's HFboards readin, you will get used to it

Old
02-10-2011, 09:58 AM
BBrowser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balcony Rat View Post
I come in peace.

The "USA!" chants (which I do not join in) has a little to do with the booing of the American Anthem.. it has even more to do with Bruins fans watching Habs fans waving Iraq flags at the arena and this story from years ago of American pee wee hockey players from Massachusetts being booed and harassed for being American.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/882915/posts

I still hear people yelling anti-American remarks to me in Montreal all the time. As I type this I look at the Canadian and Quebec flags that hang on my wall. Honestly as much as I love both places, they probably need to drop the anthems before games because we don't need the political war between the fan bases.. we all hate each other enough!

By the way, most of us up in the last row chant "Go Back to Fenway!" at the clowns starting "USA!" Chants
In 2003 the whole WORLD hated USA. The country went from having everyone's outspoken sympathy after 9 11, to invading Iraq without anyone's support except Great Britain and a hanfull of countries. The american hatred of France for example was pathetic. I've never been prouder to be Canadian than when we stood up and said NO we're not going to Iraq. As sad as it is, these kids had to leave their country to realize USA does not own liberty or freedom of speech... There were literally millions of protesters in the streets against that war. This all goes to show jus how brain dead our own media makes us. I include most canadian media too

Old
02-10-2011, 10:04 AM
Fenian24

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie
In case anyone was wondering, no follow up or supplementary discipline coming out of last night's BOS-MTL 1970s flashback.

Here's a word of advice to Hab's fans, get rid of some of your European soccer players, man up and play hockey. When you had guys like John Fergusin, Chris Nilan and John Kordic stuff like last night didn't happen.

Old
02-10-2011, 10:07 AM
KirkMuller93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenian24 View Post
In case anyone was wondering, no follow up or supplementary discipline coming out of last night's BOS-MTL 1970s flashback.

Here's a word of advice to Hab's fans, get rid of some of your European soccer players, man up and play hockey. When you had guys like John Fergusin, Chris Nilan and John Kordic stuff like last night didn't happen.
Sad but true unfortunately.

Old
02-10-2011, 10:08 AM
JayBee*

Quote:

I grew up watching hockey in the 80's. Gooning happened, but the Habs never got taken to the shed like last night. They stuck up for their players as well. We've been soft for over a decade now.

Old
02-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:

Love how the Bruins win one game and suddenly their fans are giving Habs fans advice.

Old
02-10-2011, 10:15 AM
hickles46

Quote:

I'd rather be 3-1 up in the season series than goon up....

Old
02-10-2011, 10:15 AM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
Love how the Bruins win one game and suddenly their fans are giving Habs fans advice.
He's right though. There's a reason why we've been arguing about toughness for some time now. It's a need. You won't see it in every game, but you will see it often...and in games like this it's more evident. The Devils outmuscled the Habs too.

Old
02-10-2011, 10:18 AM
Perrah

Quote:

If different players were on the ice other than hamr spacek or pyatt the beating wouldnt have been nearly as bad. Good spot picking though.

Considering how up in arms most bruins fans are of the krejci beatdown and he willingly engaged(also I dont recall any outrage when he fought a much smaller cammalleri but thats ok because it didnt go against the bruins), they sure do love the mugging of hamr by the tough guy and Boychuk jumping spacek.
I dont care about the game at all, I am sure boston will try the same "strategy" next game and get sent steadily to the box but the hypocrites coming from the boston boards are hilarious.

Old
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
If some of you calmed down after last night...read this, it should get your blood boiling again.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/h...ave_no_escape/

Marchand is such a little ugly puke. He's calling us divers?! Have you seen your ****ing team? Ugh.
You read an article like this and it's pretty clear that in Boston, where hockey is the #4 sport, the marketing is aimed at a Neanderthal fanbase who revel in the bloodlust. NASCAR fans who crave a crash, that's the parallel.

Bruins players play to that, ergo not enough to be tough they must be both big and dirty. Don't get me wrong, got to fight fire with fire so as long as the "USA!" teams play to the violence culture the Habs probably do well to add a coupla mean SOBs to their roster. Here I was looking for hockey.

Old
7th Player

Quote:

The only thing that might have been suspendable was the fact that Gregory Campbell used his elbow guard to rip open Pyatt. Souray got suspended for using his wrist protector once before. EDIT: he only got a match penalty which Campbell did not get. But, I guess that being Colin Campbell's son has its advantages...

Old
02-10-2011, 10:36 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
I'm not sure if it's that the Bruins have necessarily "built" a team for escalation, as much as it is a collective reaction to what the team has experienced over the past couple of years.

I say this because the Bruins got called out for not responding to Matt Cooke's hit on Savard a year ago, and Bergeron's hit by Randy Jones the year before that. In the Savard case they were called out by Neely, by Chiarelli, by the press as a whole, etc... Everyone around the league questioned their willingness to stand up for one another. Add to that the collapse against Philly in the playoffs and you have a recipe for a team that feels like it has "something to prove" - and needs to answer the bell each and every time in terms of physical and mental toughness.

Tough price to pay to get there, but in the long-term I'm glad the Bruins demonstrate that edge to their game as a result.
Shawn Thornton beating up Hamrlik with a minute left in a 3 goal game says absolutely nothing about that team's willingness to stand up for each other. It's just a guy who's paid to fight getting a little carried away in an emotional game. Same for Campbell on Pyatt. There was no real message to be sent from that, other than that those guys are opportunistic and relentless when it comes to taking advantage of fighting non-fighters.

The Bruins "made their stand" against an easy target which sends a pretty hollow message to the league. It was what it was. A tougher team deciding to take liberties against another team they dislike late in the game. There's nothing really wrong with it, but trying to lionize their cause or the event is pointless.

It might have some significance if they ever do it against a team that fits into the context of your narrative. Such as, the team that shattered their hopes and confidence last year. Or the team who has a clown that destroyed the career of one of their best players. They've had the opportunity to send the relevant messages you speak about before, but they haven't (and I highly doubt they will in the future).

Old
02-10-2011, 10:38 AM
ScottFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf54 View Post
Just to clarify from a Bruins Fans percpective-

I'm not around here to troll, or to say anything about the game last night as far as playing goes.

Take it for what its worth, I am but one person, but I too think the "USA" chant is a downright embarassment to everyone that actually knows the sport.

WE have FOUR U.S. born players. Four. You have six if I'm not mistaken.

We have 15 Canadian born players on our roster.

Its so embarassing. The people that start those chants and carry the american flags and such through the concourse are the people that couldn't name anybody on the team except Lucic and Chara and know nothing about the actual sport or what it takes to play it.

Perhaps they don't realize that Canada has a way bigger role in the history of the sport they "love" than U.S.A ever will.

I know most of you seem to say it doesn't "offend" you as much as it "annoys" you, or you think its comedy that bruins fans actually think it would bother you even though it makes fools out of Americans, but I apologize on behalf of the people that think they are funny. It ignorant and classless. We aren't all like that.
Here's to good match ups for the rest of the season. It will be interesting to see if the teams can play a game based on skill rather than wrecklessness.

Cheers to you all.
Galad to hear your opinion on this, I find it disgusting when they chant USA at the games. Montreal to a lot of heat when they apperently booed the us anthem and that was very weak of our fanbase burt I've been to many games at the bell center and have never seen it happen on the other hand I've been to the Gardens a few times and it almost always happen, once 3 like 8 year old kids followed us around the building chanting USA till we got to our seats just because I had a Habs jersey on and there Parents were right behind them doing it also : I've gotten elbowsa and pushed and even thrown out because I stood up for a teenage habs fan getting picked on by a bunch of bruins its disgusting really.

Old
02-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

My take is that the D and Price were really off last night.

The Habs still scored 6 goals and didn't back off at all.

Repeatedly hitting players when they are down (like certain Bruin players) is pretty lame though.

Old
02-10-2011, 10:42 AM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
Shawn Thornton beating up Hamrlik with a minute left in a 3 goal game says absolutely nothing about that team's willingness to stand up for each other. It's just a guy who's paid to fight getting a little carried away in an emotional game. Same for Campbell on Pyatt. There was no real message to be sent from that, other than that those guys are opportunistic and relentless when it comes to taking advantage of fighting non-fighters.

The Bruins "made their stand" against an easy target which sends a pretty hollow message to the league. It was what it was. A tougher team deciding to take liberties against another team they dislike late in the game. There's nothing really wrong with it, but trying to lionize their cause or the event is pointless.

It might have some significance if they ever do it against a team that fits into the context of your narrative. Such as, the team that shattered their hopes and confidence last year. Or the team who has a clown that destroyed the career of one of their best players. They've had the opportunity to send the relevant messages you speak about before, but they haven't (and I highly doubt they will in the future).
Agreed , cant go doing that those teams match up physically with them. Much like how Lucic hasnt really gone after Komisarek since he has played with toronto. I noticed he started to hit him some the last time they played. The leafs may not be the decent but they can handle themselves physically. Beating up dallas and the habs will sure show philly and the pens.

Old
02-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Turboflex*

Anyone else think the refs did an awful job and let the whole thing get completely out of control? After the first line brawl the only fighting major was to Price & Thomas who probably had the most tame fight of all. They shoulda been handing our majors & misconducts then, and warning the benches...

Old
02-10-2011, 10:46 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABSolutelyDbest View Post
Galad to hear your opinion on this, I find it disgusting when they chant USA at the games. Montreal to a lot of heat when they apperently booed the us anthem and that was very weak of our fanbase burt I've been to many games at the bell center and have never seen it happen on the other hand I've been to the Gardens a few times and it almost always happen, once 3 like 8 year old kids followed us around the building chanting USA till we got to our seats just because I had a Habs jersey on and there Parents were right behind them doing it also : I've gotten elbowsa and pushed and even thrown out because I stood up for a teenage habs fan getting picked on by a bunch of bruins its disgusting really.
This is why I don't want to go to the Garden alone..

People! I need a team of Heroes to come with me facing the evil Bruins Fanbase at the Garden! Who's with me?!

Err... Anybody ELSE?

Old
02-10-2011, 10:48 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

Proud of the boys last night, they were never intimidated and if not for some shoddy defence and a couple of bad bounces would have won that game. All those crying out saying it was embarrassing for the Habs, please.. Thorton, Campbell, and Hunwick should be embarrassed for excessively beating non-fighters, when our players showed some class and didn't do the same i.e Pouliot and Price.

There is only 1 team that gives Montreal fits because of toughness and that is the Flyers, and that has more to do with their skill level than toughness. The Bruins aren't as talented as the Flyers and that is why we usually have no trouble beating them. Montreal doesn't need any goons, just a few more tougher players that can skate and fight.

And the USA chants are typical of a 4th rate hockey town, I bet Orr and Cherry loved to hear that eh?

Old
02-10-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Anyone else think the refs did an awful job and let the whole thing get completely out of control? After the first line brawl the only fighting major was to Price & Thomas who probably had the most tame fight of all. They shoulda been handing our majors & misconducts then, and warning the benches...
Absolutely...refs let things get out of hand I thought. But whatever, it is what it is...Bruins had retribution on their minds and because of the nature of the game, were able to get some.

Old
02-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
I hope nobody forget the Habs have a game tonight and fortunately, that game should be a decent one.

Closed Thread