HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Ideal flex?

Old
02-10-2011, 11:14 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Yeah there should be. Especially if you have to cut them down. Typically for me, a 65 intermediate flexes nicely, a 75 senior flexes just a bit, and 85 senior doesn't flex at all, and a 100 flex feels like a steel pipe.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Dinoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
Interesting. I went to the hockey shop yesterday to get a helmet with a cage and a neckguard, and I was flexing out some of the 75 - 77 flex adult sticks. They don't feel much different from my 85 flexer when just flexing them out on the floor. Shouldn't there be a noticeable difference?
There should be.

When im flexing my Easton 80 flex and flexing my CCM 75 flex i can feel the difference.

Dinoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 12:57 PM
ponder

Quote:
Interesting. I went to the hockey shop yesterday to get a helmet with a cage and a neckguard, and I was flexing out some of the 75 - 77 flex adult sticks. They don't feel much different from my 85 flexer when just flexing them out on the floor. Shouldn't there be a noticeable difference?
I can feel a large difference, especially when shooting, between a 75/77 and an 85/87 (especially if we're talking about the same model of stick cut down the same amount).

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 09:11 PM
hattrick3518

vCash: 1100
I'm a bigger guy, but I still prefer ~85 flex. I've got a couple 75, and some 100, 110, and 120 sticks, but I still feel best and most confident with the 85 flex. My snapshots are what seem to improve the most at the 85, the release is quicker for me, and my slap shot doesn't deteriorate a noticeable amount. I'm sure we can throw out recommendations for you, but when it comes down to it I attribute it to personal preference. If it feels to stiff, try something softer in flex (and vice versa).

Best of luck

Quote:
You should most definitely feel a difference, I can notice a difference between my 85 flex easton and my 75 flex tps, its pretty night and day. In a hockey shop it might not be as noticeable as when your on the ice, but when it comes to shooting, its really easy to feel which is the softer flex, the 75 almost 'lags.'

hattrick3518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 11:58 PM
HF007
In Roy we Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Yeah there should be. Especially if you have to cut them down. Typically for me, a 65 intermediate flexes nicely, a 75 senior flexes just a bit, and 85 senior doesn't flex at all, and a 100 flex feels like a steel pipe.

this is a steel pipe lol i used too use one of these in peewee

HF007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Back in the day my uncle played varsity HS and was a hell of a player, used Easton aluminum shafts because of Gretzky. He was strong as hell, pro body builder, etc. I had a couple of his cut down sticks I used as a kid. I'm fairly certain I wasn't flexing those at all

He actually stopped by my place one day and flexed one of my sticks (65 intermediate) and started laughing. Guy uses a 9950 Sherwood, tried a composite and said the 110 flex was too soft for him and felt like it was going to break. Yikes.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote