Old
01-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
What's the deal with Nathan?
I was just talking about that the other day with a co-worker.

Here's a pretty good article from SI.com about him and a few other pitchers coming back.

He says he's in the best shape of his life...

Engebretson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 07:08 PM
State of Hockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
I don't think the current owners qualify as tight. 100+million isn't small ball anymore.
The huge amount of additional revenue last year and beyond likely means that the Twins will have spent, and will further spend, about the same amount of revenue percentage-wise on player salary as before. What it means that it's still a pure business to them, and they will never spend more for a year or two to make a run. Starting last year was the time to do it. What we have now will be it, and that was sparked by the common fan paying more, not the rich Pohlads opening their wallet. Instead we'll probably see our roster slowly get more frugal as Target Field bonuses (and the M&M boys' primes) fades away.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 09:24 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
LaVelleNeal LaVelle E. Neal III
Bert's No. 28 will be officially retired on July 16 before a game against Texas
Sounds about right.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 09:57 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
The huge amount of additional revenue last year and beyond likely means that the Twins will have spent, and will further spend, about the same amount of revenue percentage-wise on player salary as before. What it means that it's still a pure business to them, and they will never spend more for a year or two to make a run. Starting last year was the time to do it. What we have now will be it, and that was sparked by the common fan paying more, not the rich Pohlads opening their wallet. Instead we'll probably see our roster slowly get more frugal as Target Field bonuses (and the M&M boys' primes) fades away.
The Twins were 11th in MLB payroll last season, and will likely be in the top ten this year with Mauer's deal kicking in and going over 100 million. Perhaps you are correct and this will be the high water mark, but compared to Carl, or even moreso, Calvin Griffith, who defined tightwad, I find the current owners quite loose with their pursestrings. Remember, the Twins were the first team ever to draw 3,000,000 fans a season, but did cheapo Carl ever break the top 10 in salary?

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 10:09 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
So apparently the Indians are talking to the Nats about a deal for CF Sizemore. Are we interested? (assuming he's available)

The guy could leadoff, play good defense, and hit for ok-ish power.

Maybe it's me, but having 2 flyball pitchers in your staff(Baker and Slowey) and then having an OF with only one MLB average defensive OF(span) doesn't seem like a good idea.

Cuddy, man I love the guy, but I hate his salary..

Don't even get me started on our starting pitching. It blows. After Liriano we have a bunch of #3-#5 type pitchers. Gibson has potential. Slowey did before his elbow surgery. Baker I was never a fan of. Everyone knows my thoughts on Blackburn. Duensing is meh. #3-4 type pitcher.

We have a real chance to lose our division title to the White Sox.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 10:22 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
So apparently the Indians are talking to the Nats about a deal for CF Sizemore. Are we interested? (assuming he's available)
To me Sizemore is the most overrated player of the last 5 years--without the injuries. Even when healthy he's a strikeout machine that's never put up a .300 batting average. His OPS is good, but not stellar. He's a very good player when feeling well, but he's not a star unlike what the media pumps into you. And his recent, injured-filled, numbers show a steady decline.

So I wouldn't be interested. Too much risk, not enough reward. Our outfield could badly use an upgrade in center and right, but I'd look elsewhere.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 02:52 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Sounds about right.
Well, except the Royals are in town on July 16, not the Rangers.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2011, 11:19 AM
mnwildgophers

I think the Twins will be good this season just as last season was. They can add bullpen pieces during the season if they need, I'm saying between 88-90 wins.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:23 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Trading Liriano will be a fitting end for this cluster bleep of an off-season.

If and when this actually goes down, can someone just fire Bill Smith on the spot?

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post

If and when this actually goes down, can someone just fire Bill Smith on the spot?
I'm sure we will get 3 really promising prospects who will play a grand total of 14 games in the Majors. Prospects = Championships

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:

Why are we trading Liriano?

Fire Billy Smith?

Good god, I'd tar and feather him. Why the hell would you trade Liriano?

Old
02-10-2011, 10:33 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Why are we trading Liriano?

Fire Billy Smith?

Good god, I'd tar and feather him. Why the hell would you trade Liriano?
Lots of rumblings flying around at the moment.

Why would they trade him? Well, simple answer is he doesn't do things "The Twins Way." If he could start going out and pitching to contact, not walk anyone, and possibly head first slide into the mound before the start of each inning he could stay...

this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
Lots of rumblings flying around at the moment.

Why would they trade him? Well, simple answer is he doesn't do things "The Twins Way." If he could start going out and pitching to contact, not walk anyone, and possibly head first slide into the mound before the start of each inning he could stay...
My god.

Like argh!!

This management can go to hell if they trade Liriano. Like seriously.

He's our only #1/#2 type pitcher. And yet they want to trade him?

If this is due to contract status, I may lose it.

Lucky we still have guys like Blackburn to step up and carry some of the weight.

Old
02-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Seeing that this thread was bumped I came into it expecting good news about Joe Nathan's rehab or something about Yoshi.. But I'm reading about the Twins trading Liriano? WTF.. Outta left field. I still haven't gotten over trading Johan. Maybe the reason Minnesota sports teams don't win championships anymore is because all our ****ing teams don't allow players who don't fit into their strict mold to play on them. I swear, if he's traded...

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 01:46 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Assuming the worst, and that is we're shopping Liriano, what do we want for him?

I assume the Yankees will be top bidders.

I ask for:

Banuelos + Montero. Minimum.

Old
02-14-2011, 02:45 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Not the most encouraging news on the Baker front:

Quote:

Rotoworld:
Scott Baker said Monday that he recently dealt with some inflammation in his surgically-repaired right elbow.
"When I started to ramp up the intensity, it was a little more sore than I expected," said Baker, who had chips removed from his right elbow in October. "I talked to the trainers and the doctors and everybody agreed that I should just back off a little bit. Even though it was minor surgery that I had, it was still surgery. So I allowed [the inflammation] to calm down and it feels much better now." Twins pitching coach Anne Sullivan said that the coaching staff will monitor Baker early on in spring training in order to avoid any other setbacks. The 29-year-old right-hander went 12-9 with 4.49 ERA and 148/43 K/BB ratio over 170 1/3 innings last season.

Old
02-14-2011, 03:01 PM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Quote:
Rotoworld:
Scott Baker said Monday that he recently dealt with some inflammation in his surgically-repaired right elbow.
"When I started to ramp up the intensity, it was a little more sore than I expected," said Baker, who had chips removed from his right elbow in October. "I talked to the trainers and the doctors and everybody agreed that I should just back off a little bit. Even though it was minor surgery that I had, it was still surgery. So I allowed [the inflammation] to calm down and it feels much better now." Twins pitching coach Anne Sullivan said that the coaching staff will monitor Baker early on in spring training in order to avoid any other setbacks. The 29-year-old right-hander went 12-9 with 4.49 ERA and 148/43 K/BB ratio over 170 1/3 innings last season.
Ummmm... What happened to Rick Anderson?

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote