HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Molsons give McGill 1 million dollars for the hockey program

Old
01-25-2011, 06:25 PM
Dutch

vCash: 500
Molsons give McGill 1 million dollars for the hockey program

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...825/story.html

Well... McGill now has more money than the whole league together.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...825/story.html

Well... McGill now has more money than the whole league together.
That is great news.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2011, 08:24 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Doesn't the OUA have a restriction of $3,500 per player in scholarships? If so, that's 286 scholarships. Although, maybe they'll spend it on travel. Or, better yet, to get Concordia and UQTR to join them in a move to the AUS!

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 12:40 AM
Dutch

Well I think the donation is going to the Men and women teams, so that splits things up.

And I don't want to see UQTR moving to the AUS... I really don't want to travel that far when going with the team !

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 02:55 PM
FreddtFoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Well I think the donation is going to the Men and women teams, so that splits things up.

And I don't want to see UQTR moving to the AUS... I really don't want to travel that far when going with the team !
As I understand it the money is all for the men's program. The women got a lot of money (a million bucks?) from someone else a few years ago. It is not like they can spend it all at once. Since the details say they are funding a "chair", usually the way those work at universities for research chairs is so much money for salary and expenses is allocated over a given time, say $100,000 per year for ten years.

I've just read the release. Turns out the "chair" is to create/ pay for a full-time assistant coach position. Welcome to the big leagues! Off the top of my head UNB and StFX already have full-time assistants, and maybe SMU? Not sure.

Last edited by FreddtFoyle: 01-26-2011 at 04:57 PM. Reason: assistant coach part
FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 06:48 PM
gleanerguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
As I understand it the money is all for the men's program. The women got a lot of money (a million bucks?) from someone else a few years ago. It is not like they can spend it all at once. Since the details say they are funding a "chair", usually the way those work at universities for research chairs is so much money for salary and expenses is allocated over a given time, say $100,000 per year for ten years.

I've just read the release. Turns out the "chair" is to create/ pay for a full-time assistant coach position. Welcome to the big leagues! Off the top of my head UNB and StFX already have full-time assistants, and maybe SMU? Not sure.
Spoke to Earl Zukerman, the McGill SID today. It's an endowment -- meaning the million is the seed money to fund a scholarship, the hockey program benefits from the interest off the base, I believe. It will pay the salary of assistant coach Daniel Jacobs, who played at McGill for five years as a player -- as a former teammate of Lucas Madill, who was a student/assistant at UNB for a couple of years.
It will also pay for a scholarship or two I understand.
He's not sure how quickly they'll have access to the money, perhaps at the start of the next fiscal year, perhaps now with the idea that the money would be replaced when the endowment kicks in.
Zukerman was of the opinion that Alberta has a full time assistant...there's no indication of it on the Alberta site.

gleanerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

I think it's great too. Any further support for college hockey (US or Canada or anywhere else for that matter!) is a good thing.

FYI, back in my junior and senior years in HS when I was considering which college to attend, I actually had McGill on my list. No kidding! I wrote to them and they send me a nice little care package about the school, entrance requirements, etc. I didn't go to McGill, but it was very attractive (academically-speaking) what they had to offer.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Island Husky

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post

SMU does yes, termed the Director of Hockey Operations. They were one of, if not the first to do it. Ironically, it was SMU receiving a windfall ten years ago, of several million bequeathed after the death of an alumnus. Some details are not so secretive, it was Bob Dauphinee, strongly rumoured to have stipulated build yourselves a new arena, and thus the arena is to be named after him. But how much and for what other purposes definitely is extremely secretive, as are the plans for the new arena. How quickly it vanishes when football cries. Whatever Saint Mary's does well, in the face of their mens and womens hockey team successes, it is not in recognizing those facts. I see these new arenas going up,.... not just universities, municipalities, that are smaller in population than Saint Mary's is as a university. Once before they stood still while everybody grew ( in the 80's) it nearly cost them the men's program altogether. What is it they say about history? those who do not remember it, are condemned to repeat it?
Good for McGill, annually number one in the McLean's rankings aren't they? outstanding academic standards, and we know that can be a challenge to running a hockey program, it is a challenge to do both that well, but they carry it out flawlessely. (Save for losing out at the nationals, ...one of these times fellas, at least they get there consistently)

Last edited by Island Husky: 01-27-2011 at 04:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Island Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 08:40 AM
Moscowitz

It would be wise for Canadian college teams to become part of the NCAA.

Moscowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 11:01 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

Why??

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote