HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Matt Carle to Donate 10K to CHOP for 10K Twitter followers

Old
02-10-2011, 01:11 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Matt Carle to Donate 10K to CHOP for 10K Twitter followers

http://www.gcobb.com/2011/02/07/matt...ter-followers/

Quote:
Flyers defenseman Matt Carle has recently joined twitter and has publicly stated that he will donate $10,000 to the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) if he can get 10,000 followers on twitter.
I'm not much of a tweeter, or whatever the lingo is, but for those of you who are, follow the man! I think he only needs 1,300 or so more followers to hit 10k.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 01:24 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Someone was actually pretty mad at him for doing this, they thought it was a gimmick.

Pretty ridiculous.

Article on broad street hockey somewhere.

OriginJM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 01:27 AM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Say what you will about his play, but dude wants to do something positive and it takes 2 seconds to help him out. Then again why he would bother trying to get 10k followers to donate $10k to the Childrens Hospital is beyond me as he could just donate it without the stipulation. Of course I guess it also helps to get the word out on twitter.

Phileeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 02:08 AM
Mr Oysterhead

I don't have a twitter account or I'd follow him. I like Carle and his teammates really seem to appreciate what he brings to the table. Possibly forever lumped into the hate pit of this site's (often undeserved) scapegoats, but I hope he sticks around for a while.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 06:32 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I posted something along those lines in the Misc. thread when he was at about 5000. He's at 8809 now. I'd follow him if I had twitter.

I'm all for donations to charity, so good stuff.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 06:43 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
Then again why he would bother trying to get 10k followers to donate $10k to the Childrens Hospital is beyond me as he could just donate it without the stipulation.
Are you donating 10K to a hospital. The guy can do what he wants IMO. If he wants followers, he is willing to help out a local charity.

Good on him

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Are you donating 10K to a hospital. The guy can do what he wants IMO. If he wants followers, he is willing to help out a local charity.

Good on him
Yeah, the way I see it is that this gets the word out on CHOP and could also spark copycats... he could just donate, certainly, but it would then jsut be that and nothing more... this way maybe Carle or Flyers fans also donate.

And it should be remembered that he gets nothing for hits on Twitter... no ads and no money. I doubt he is looking for fame from having a Twitter account out there either... take it for what it is, IMO.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Black Ice

I started following him a few days ago. He isn't as boring on Twitter as he was doing the blog last season and it's for a great cause.

Black Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:27 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
It's a good way to mobilize fans to be aware of charity work.

Good on him. If I had twitter I would follow him

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:33 AM
Mgkibbles

I'll donate the $13 dollars in my wallet to my bank account if I get 13 friend requests on Facebook!!!

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
I posted something along those lines in the Misc. thread when he was at about 5000. He's at 8809 now. I'd follow him if I had twitter.

I'm all for donations to charity, so good stuff.
I missed it. If I knew it was already out there I wouldn't have made a new thread.

I don't really get the people who are like "He could just donate it whenever, the twitter followers thing is stupid". He could also not donate it ever.

Old
02-10-2011, 12:02 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I missed it. If I knew it was already out there I wouldn't have made a new thread.

I don't really get the people who are like "He could just donate it whenever, the twitter followers thing is stupid". He could also not donate it ever.
Not a problem, I posted it in there because I wasn't sure if it was deserving or not.

And yeah I agree with the points that him doing this also gets the word out for CHOP. He could donate $10K on his own, obviously, but word about CHOP wouldn't get out there are much.

Old
02-10-2011, 12:14 PM
FlyerGuy18

I don't why people are attacking him for this.

David Perron & Erik Johnson did the same thing over the summer & it was "A tremendous example of how hockey players connect with their fans" Puck Daddy quote not mine

FlyerGuy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 12:19 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerGuy18 View Post

David Perron & Erik Johnson did the same thing over the summer & it was "A tremendous example of how hockey players connect with their fans" Puck Daddy quote not mine
Some people are just gonna hate.

Last night, Bruins fans from Canada, in the midst of what I said was the best period of hockey all season (second period), were *****ing that the Boston crowd did a "USA!" chant with about 2 minutes left. Really?

Old
02-10-2011, 12:22 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:

Last night, Bruins fans from Canada, in the midst of what I said was the best period of hockey all season (second period), were *****ing that the Boston crowd did a "USA!" chant with about 2 minutes left. Really?
because it's stupid considering like 80% of Bruins players are Canadian

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 12:25 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
because it's stupid considering like 80% of Bruins players are Canadian
My point exactly.

American soil, and American fans, who were doing the chanting, not the players. So you're suggesting that the Boston Garden should start chanting "Go Canada Go!"???

Old
02-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerGuy18 View Post

And that brings up a great point... Carle mentioned that it was done by a buddy of his -- a player -- and he thought it was cool so he did it... he started using his Twitter account, BTW, which is nice for Flyers fans who would like to hear from their players... So by seeing another player contribute in this manner Matt reached into his bank account and donated to a cause he felt was a worthy one... now some other players may see this and also think it is cool and do a similar thing... and Flyers fans may drop a check to CHOP... or another player may say, 'hey, I have a charity worthy of my supporting, I'm going to do what Matty did'... SOOOO; CHOP gets $10K and if any of the above happens, others will benefit also.

What the frick's the problem with that?

Old
02-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Quote:
My point exactly.

American soil, and American fans, who were doing the chanting, not the players. So you're suggesting that the Boston Garden should start chanting "Go Canada Go!"???
Not at all, merely that they should be chanting something more appropriate than "Go USA!"....nationalist chants are kind of stupid in that context.

Old
02-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
All the more reason to follow him and help cost him money!

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 01:29 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Not at all, merely that they should be chanting something more appropriate than "Go USA!"....nationalist chants are kind of stupid in that context.
As is a soccer chant at a hockey game, but that doesn't stop Habs fans.

Old
02-10-2011, 01:46 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
One of the unique thing about the NHL a opposed to other American major leagues is that it has a relatively heavy split between The USA and Canada... one of the natural offshoots from such a makeup is a national rivalry amongst the fans... not really much different than other regional rivalries or even divisional rivalries... even though the individual teams are comprised by 'carpetbaggers' from various countries of the World -- not merely Canada, BTW -- to me it is the country and city that they represent once they sign with the team, or are obtained by the team... And they must play for the fans of that team, city and country, no matter their own roots.

I am dead set against booing or being disrespectful in any way to other National Anthems... and I believe they should be respected and cheered just short of your own. That said, once the anthems are over, most rules are off and friendly national razzing is perfectly fine... USA-USA-USA is 100% fine, IMO... and players of American based teams with roots other than from the USA are USA players at that moment in time for all intents and purposes.

Once the game is over the razzing can continue with respect as you leave the venue... and then it ends... until the next time.

During Lauren Hart's singing the last game I observed non-American players being respectful and Kimmo's eyes looking at the flag -- many American fans were not doing so... me included as I watched Timonen watch the Stars and Strips -- and I thought that that was great... Hockey in many ways unites rather than divides, even when USA is chanted... I often visit Canada and love the country and know much about it, and really it's almost all because of hockey.

Just my take... FWIW.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 02-10-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old
02-10-2011, 02:02 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

I've actually noticed a LOT of fans - Flyer fans - singing along with the Canadian anthem when we play one of their teams lately.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 02:03 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Sawdalite, couldn't have said it better myself. I'm not a fan of the national anthem disrespect either.

Old
02-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Just an FYI to all those who would like to join in but don't have twitter for various reasons.

You don't have to worry about things like your plans text message rates, cell phone issues, etc. as twitter is completely web based and getting tweets to your phone is completely optional and can be turned on/off on a case-by-case basis.

So check it out. Feel free to just create a temporary account and just follow Matt for this occasion and delete it after it's over if you'd like.

Phileeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 02:09 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
It's more about the Bruins fans getting into the face of the Habs fans. If their sporting bloo, blank, and rooj in their gahden, anything goes.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote