HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Team Building Exercise on Steroids: Habs lose 8-6 in the craziest game of the year.

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy munson View Post
Those two bolded words shouldn't be in the same sentence. And if it's based solely on that 'herculean' push he gave Chara at the end of that other game, that's ridiculous.
I kinda wish it was true though. Would be pretty fun to have 2 agitators that can piss off opponent's team/fans and score. Subban is probably the only guy we have left who falls under 'agitator'. Maybe Gomez and Wizniewski too but they don't have the same effect. Pacioretty is fairly tame in the after whistle stuff which makes it more funny how Chara wants to go after him so badly. He gave him a pretty sneaky slash to the back of the leg before the 2nd.

Old
02-10-2011, 12:45 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

vCash: 500
Guys I think one huge thing has been overlooked in last night's game. Darwin's theory has been proven wrong, Homo Neanderthals are among Homo Sapiens.

Old
02-10-2011, 12:52 PM
roy munson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I kinda wish it was true though. Would be pretty fun to have 2 agitators that can piss off opponent's team/fans and score. Subban is probably the only guy we have left who falls under 'agitator'. Maybe Gomez and Wizniewski too but they don't have the same effect. Pacioretty is fairly tame in the after whistle stuff which makes it more funny how Chara wants to go after him so badly. He gave him a pretty sneaky slash to the back of the leg before the 2nd.
Is there such a thing as a "half-agitator"? Because I wouldn't place PK in the same category as Avery, Cooke, etc. He's inbetween. He gets under the opponents skin but isn't a cheapshot artist.

Old
02-10-2011, 12:52 PM
hockeyfanvan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classified View Post
Best game for me to miss while studying in the library? Yup...
I had to leave for work after the first...so mad I missed the "fun" stuff!

Old
02-10-2011, 12:55 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
Last night was a bit of an aberration, however. Most about the rivalry and the tightness in standing, but a lot attributed to the agitators (Marchand, Pacioretty, Subban). Tempers got heated and the Bruins had more firepower in that category.

Much of the tenor coming into the game stemmed from Pacioretty giving Chara the "get out of here, punk" shove after he scored the OT winner. A rookie agitator shoving a guy like Chara --- did he really expect that would serve as a lightning rod down the line?
Let's get one thing straight, first and foremost; Pacioretty is not agitator.

If a guy like Chara is carrying over a little shove from the last time the two teams played, then the slash he gave Pacioretty during the game should be seen as intent to injure under premeditated conditions, no? Let's just ignore that. How about after the scrum which started with Marchand elbowing Wiz after an icing call, Chara jumped Pacioretty immediately, before Max had even done anything.

If a little shove like the one Patches gave to Chara served as a lightning rod of hate, then imagine what will happen the next time these two meet. Wiz will fully remember what Marchand did, Moen will have it in the back of his mind what happened to Pyatt, Spacek and Hamrlik, and hopefully along with White, the Habs will have added a few more big bodies that can dish some fists.

Not saying I hope they go out and injure the Bruins. Just to even out the playing field a little bit.

Old
02-10-2011, 12:58 PM
habtastic

funny thing is, PK isn't even an agitator. He RECEIVES the brunt of the oppositions' wrath every night and just defends himself, rather well I might add. He's the talented guy with the target. He layed out marchand hard 2 games ago on a clean hit and the bruins just can't take that to their ego. Clean hits - fine. I don't think the word goon can be used enough to describe last night. If you read the boston herald article and the quotes in them, it's clear that they were deliberately trying to get the bitter taste of being our *****es our of their mouths by blatantly flaunting the rules. Pathetic and very bruin-like. And yeah, horton, why don't you fight PK you sad POS. Did you guys see the smile he had just before he hit Subban from behind. Evil. And PK backed down? When? I must have missed it. The inferiority complex is acting up big time. They will milk this for all it's worth to them. I don't remember too many open ice hits BTW. Just fights. They're not more physical than us. They are just better at fighting. Not the same thing. They also let their little guys sit this one out.
Anyway, I think the message of the next game against them will simply be - shootout the lights, and shut the door. That will hurt more. And then they'll want to fight more from the constant abuse. That being said, let's get this team firing on all cyclinders down the stretch.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/h...ave_no_escape/

Old
02-10-2011, 01:02 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Something should be done about Campbell and him punching with his elbow pad. He clearly had the upper hand and could have stopped for a second to shake it off and go back to what he was doing.

Old
02-10-2011, 01:02 PM
Mattyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
If some of you calmed down after last night...read this, it should get your blood boiling again.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/h...ave_no_escape/

Marchand is such a little ugly puke. He's calling us divers?! Have you seen your ****ing team? Ugh.
Next time I see marchard I am going to call him a ***** and see what he has to say without the hunch back and thorton around. Lol

Old
02-10-2011, 01:14 PM
Patrice Brisebois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Something should be done about Campbell and him punching with his elbow pad. He clearly had the upper hand and could have stopped for a second to shake it off and go back to what he was doing.
That's what pissed me off the most about that entire game. Campbell is a *******, just like his ******* father who doesn't know how to do his ****ing job. Colin Campbell had a ref fired for giving his son a penalty. There's no way he gives his kid a suspension. I bet Colin was watching the fight and jumping up and down with joy while swinging his fists in the air.

Old
02-10-2011, 01:14 PM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Let's get one thing straight, first and foremost; Pacioretty is not agitator.

If a guy like Chara is carrying over a little shove from the last time the two teams played, then the slash he gave Pacioretty during the game should be seen as intent to injure under premeditated conditions, no? Let's just ignore that. How about after the scrum which started with Marchand elbowing Wiz after an icing call, Chara jumped Pacioretty immediately, before Max had even done anything.

If a little shove like the one Patches gave to Chara served as a lightning rod of hate, then imagine what will happen the next time these two meet. Wiz will fully remember what Marchand did, Moen will have it in the back of his mind what happened to Pyatt, Spacek and Hamrlik, and hopefully along with White, the Habs will have added a few more big bodies that can dish some fists.

Not saying I hope they go out and injure the Bruins. Just to even out the playing field a little bit.
By the way, I don't think the term "agitator" is bad at all. I've already said on your Board in the past that I would love PK Subban on the Bruins. Wouldn't be upset about Pacioretty either.
I'm really amazed that you don't view them both as agitators though -- something I equate to a player who is tenacious, aggressive, "pest-like", gets under opponents skin, and produces (most irritating of all) etc..

I do not consider Avery and Cooke as agitators -- they are both dirty cheap shot artists, nothing more nothing less.

Anyway, that little shove (and it was just a little shove) after scoring the OT winner to a guy like Chara is indeed going to linger. Why do you think Chara was basically mugging his own teammate (Kampfer) to get at Pacioretty during one of the big melees? It's because a cocky young rookie (not saying it's bad -- but please don't tell me Pacioretty's not cocky) shoved the captain of the opposing team AFTER having just scored the OT winner.

What would Brian Gionta do if the tables were turned and Tyler Seguin gave him a little "get out of my way" shove after having just scored the OT winner? He'd have exactly the same response and you know it.

Old
02-10-2011, 01:21 PM
chuckdobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolkaTruesilver View Post
And yet, I believe we are the most common matchup in history of the NHL.

Wouldn't it be funny if, by the end, it's all end up with determining who's leader of the division, while the other one will automatically end up 6th place?
That sounds about right too. See, I'm only the ripe young age of 26, but I'm no fool. I've seen enough heartache at the hands of Montreal to know better than to wish for a playoff meeting Although I must say, if it could somehow be in a later round, say the conference final...who can argue with that?!

Old
02-10-2011, 01:21 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy munson View Post
Is there such a thing as a "half-agitator"? Because I wouldn't place PK in the same category as Avery, Cooke, etc. He's inbetween. He gets under the opponents skin but isn't a cheapshot artist.
I don't think cheap shot artist and agitator necessarily go together. Some are one, some are the other, some are both.

Old
02-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Savynquick*

Guys can I ask an honest simple, non-trolling question?

If the rolls had been reversed, and you had the bigger/tougher team, and those fights had resulted in a lot of beat-up Bruins, would you be outraged today? Or would you simply say "good riddance?"

I'm just wondering if it's a genuine real issue worth discussing, or if it's just sort of being on the wrong side of that battle. And fwiw, I thought it was an awesome game, and could make for an awesome playoff series.

Old
02-10-2011, 01:23 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Ladies and Gents!

Please welcome, your Boston Bruins!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neanderthal

Old
02-10-2011, 01:25 PM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

my take on krejci is he bit off more than he could chew (with an emphasis on his agency in 'biting') and he got rocked for it. if he misses a few games, that's great for us because i want the bruins to lose so that the habs can catch them in the standings. it's as simple as that and has nothing to do with him personally (although his fight starting is kind of moronic).

i don't remember bruins fans whining when lucic knocked komi out for weeks. i don't see any condemnation of chara's clear intent to injure on pacioretty (who has done very little to warrant anything like that). if b's fans want to look for some sort of moral high ground to preach from about their thuggishness, they should've beaten up on matt cooke. instead all i see is whining to the media about chippy/annoying/whatever you want to call it kind of plays that haven't resulted in many (if any) missed games for bruins players. subban throws a clean hit on marchand and your whole franchise gets all pissed and jack edwards brings up subban of all people when mcquaid fights a few nights later.

in the meantime, we don't really knock anyone out for games. we don't throw many dirty hits (compared to the league average) and i'd say we're probably among the teams who cause the least injuries for other teams. so i look at it realistically. i want boston to lose and with savard out it's good for krejci to miss some games because of his own stupidity. i didn't see much consideration from campbell for pyatt (and we're all sure that little greg will get a scolding from papa right?) and i don't think it's that fair of you to ask us to not be happy that pacioretty put krejci in his place in a fight that he started.

Old
02-10-2011, 01:27 PM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

That is pure idiocy on the trade Lucic nonsense. If you don't see Plekanec's value as being at least 2X that of Lucic, then you don't know how to watch hockey. Maybe you should start watching more boxing/MMA?

Old
02-10-2011, 01:31 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
That sounds about right too. See, I'm only the ripe young age of 26, but I'm no fool. I've seen enough heartache at the hands of Montreal to know better than to wish for a playoff meeting Although I must say, if it could somehow be in a later round, say the conference final...who can argue with that?!
Just don't choke against the Flyers next time!

Old
02-10-2011, 01:31 PM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

and to answer your question if we're disregarding what the team actually needs, I wouldn't trade the 3 you named nor eller, pacioretty, pouliot, gionta, gill, or markov.

anyone else i would consider based on cap hit/age issues.

Old
02-10-2011, 01:34 PM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
I'm not sure i necessarily disagree except to your point about making a stand against and "easy target". Boston did the exact same thing the other night against Dallas. Dallas started with a tough guy line-up and it didn't work out very well for them - both in terms of the fights or the result. In another recent game Ference jumped a guy that went low on Lucic (not that Lucic needed the protection), McQuaid took on a guy who ran Marchand, etc.. That all stems from the "non response" in the Savard and Bergeron situations and is a carry over. It's been happening all season. They've gone from being passive to aggressive. End of story.

Last night was a bit of an aberration, however. Most about the rivalry and the tightness in standing, but a lot attributed to the agitators (Marchand, Pacioretty, Subban). Tempers got heated and the Bruins had more firepower in that category.

Much of the tenor coming into the game stemmed from Pacioretty giving Chara the "get out of here, punk" shove after he scored the OT winner. A rookie agitator shoving a guy like Chara --- did he really expect that would serve as a lightning rod down the line?
The Bruins have done this to the Habs several times in the last few years. This is just the first time it's happened since Savard got injured, so now people are deciding to read more context into it.

I've heard similar things after Lucic "got" Komisarek back in a fight, or when Lucic and Chara went after Komisarek and when Thomas went after Kostitsyn and when Mark Stuart beat up Kostitsyn and when Chara went after Latendresse, and when and when Jeremy Reich (I think) tuned up Steve Begin as late revenge for injuring Savard.

This is more or less the same Bruins team that had a big dust-up with the Stars last year (in which Ference gave Avery the what-for), then collapsed against the Flyers. This is the same Lucic that "made a stand" against Komisarek, then did nothing after his team's best centre was destroyed by a dirtbag piece of garbage. It's the same captain that has kept Habs agitators in line for years.

This is the same team that has had 3 real chances to get at Cooke (including a 3 goal win like last night's game), but hasn't done so. I'll believe they're a different team when I see them go through Engelland, Godard, Asham, Adams and Rupp to get at Cooke. I'd love to see it happen, but I don't think it will.

Old
02-10-2011, 01:40 PM
Phousse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savynquick View Post

If the rolls had been reversed, and you had the bigger/tougher team, and those fights had resulted in a lot of beat-up Bruins, would you be outraged today? Or would you simply say "good riddance?"

I'm just wondering if it's a genuine real issue worth discussing, or if it's just sort of being on the wrong side of that battle. And fwiw, I thought it was an awesome game, and could make for an awesome playoff series.
If the Habs players fought like that, no I would not be too impressed. Whenever Lapierre or Begin did something stupid and/or dirty I was completely against it.

Outraged? No, and I'm not even as is.

How would you feel if the roles were reversed?

Last edited by Phousse: 02-10-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old
02-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
By the way, I don't think the term "agitator" is bad at all. I've already said on your Board in the past that I would love PK Subban on the Bruins. Wouldn't be upset about Pacioretty either.
I'm really amazed that you don't view them both as agitators though -- something I equate to a player who is tenacious, aggressive, "pest-like", gets under opponents skin, and produces (most irritating of all) etc..

I do not consider Avery and Cooke as agitators -- they are both dirty cheap shot artists, nothing more nothing less.

Anyway, that little shove (and it was just a little shove) after scoring the OT winner to a guy like Chara is indeed going to linger. Why do you think Chara was basically mugging his own teammate (Kampfer) to get at Pacioretty during one of the big melees? It's because a cocky young rookie (not saying it's bad -- but please don't tell me Pacioretty's not cocky) shoved the captain of the opposing team AFTER having just scored the OT winner.

What would Brian Gionta do if the tables were turned and Tyler Seguin gave him a little "get out of my way" shove after having just scored the OT winner? He'd have exactly the same response and you know it.
That's the thing, only team in the league that Pacioretty gets under the skin of is the Bruins so it's obviously it leads back to the little shove. It'd love for him to piss off other opponents and get them to take dumb penalties too but he doesn't have that effect with other teams. I seriously doubt Gionta would hold a grudge and go after him the next game multiple times and expect Seguin to fight for some reason. He'd probably push Seguin, or the more likely suspect Marchand, back after the shove at the time though.

What kinda surprises me is how much the Bruins players bad mouth the Habs to the media after games. Is this common when they face other teams too? Even with all the Habs media we never hear the Habs players say anything close to what the Bruins players (Marchand last night and Krejci in the game before for example) get quoted for.

Old
02-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:

I wouldn't be outraged, just like I'm not outraged today about the fights. I'm outraged that my team lost against a bitter rival, but that's what rivalries are all about.

Fact is, I'm more outraged at a lot of our own fanbase for buying into the crap that's being spewed by the media than I am about anything that happened on the ice last night.

I don't watch hockey for the fights, so yesterday was just a sideshow for me. Somewhat entertaining? I suppose. Would have been far more entertaining had either team decided to play defense and we had a nice 4-3 or 5-4 final. 8-6? That's just two teams that decided not to play hockey.

Storyline-wise, yes, it makes the feud more entertaining. But from a hockey standpoint? Yesterday's game was a joke.

Old
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:

I wouldn't like a Habs player with fighting experience hitting another player's face with no fighting experience in the face with his elbow pad to the point he has multiple cuts on his face. I mean I know for sure I wouldn't be proud if we still had Laraque and he beat the crap out of Seidenberg in a scrum. Maybe it's just me. I'm not really happy Moen fought Ference either. I rather he had taken Campbell. Could have prevented a lot of the aftermath.

Last edited by Watsatheo: 02-10-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old
Ayatollah Chowmeini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
What kinda surprises me is how much the Bruins players bad mouth the Habs to the media after games. Is this common when they face other teams too? Even with all the Habs media we never hear the Habs players say anything close to what the Bruins players (Marchand last night and Krejci in the game before for example) get quoted for.
it's a boston thing of playing the victim. look at how whiney the red sox and their fans were about being "underdogs" all those years when they had the second highest salary roll in baseball after the yankees.

Old
02-10-2011, 01:51 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
I wonder if pacioretty and marchand are buddies tho?

i remember recognizing marchand in that box jump video as the guy holding the box for max

i dont know what relevance this has to anything but i just remember recognizing him a while back, and i wonder if they hate each other now or something with the whole habs vs bruins, i just find it interresting is all, maybe max can tell marchand to cool it a little jesus

Closed Thread