HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Team Building Exercise on Steroids: Habs lose 8-6 in the craziest game of the year.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-10-2011, 01:53 PM
  #876
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savynquick View Post
Guys can I ask an honest simple, non-trolling question?

If the rolls had been reversed, and you had the bigger/tougher team, and those fights had resulted in a lot of beat-up Bruins, would you be outraged today? Or would you simply say "good riddance?"

I'm just wondering if it's a genuine real issue worth discussing, or if it's just sort of being on the wrong side of that battle. And fwiw, I thought it was an awesome game, and could make for an awesome playoff series.
I hated Begin like the dirty punk he is for what he did to Savard. I hate every single dirty ******* of this league, even if they wear the Habs shirt.

Lapierre himself wasn't as bad, he pulled a few stupid stunts, but he wasn't actively looking to injure players the way Begin/Ruutu/Cooke do. Just to troll, sometimes too enthusiastly.

PricePkPatch is online now  
Old
02-10-2011, 01:54 PM
  #877
DumFries
Registered User
 
DumFries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Shawinigan
Country: Canada
Posts: 483
vCash: 500
Although, I saw highlights of the wildest game thus far this season, I realized many things, Americans chanting the American anthem or USA when Chara hit Pacces was lame. It goes to show you that how unaware some Americans are about hockey in general. Hello, Boston? Pacces is American!!

Also, in the States, it seems teams rely on playing this type of game to sell tickets which is really sad.

The Habs could of easily destroyed a few of these Bruins players starting by Price who could of easily given a good beaten to Tim Thomas and even Pouliot was nice to Krejci.

Also, the Habs defense is getting lousy. Gauthier needs to address that. Also, bringing in a few tough guys who can play hockey and score will help this team defend itself against teams like the Bruins and Flyers.

I hope the Habs bounce back from this, stronger than before. For the next meeting, I don't think Montreal will be that nice. I hope we don't see another type of Komisarek situation and I also think that "monkey" Lucic will probably get what's coming to him this time.

All in all, both clubs have a long rivalry which was extinguished slightly only to resurface for some time again this past decade. However, the rivalry hit another level last night, the former Habs in Boston have managed to recreate the rivalry of the past.

DumFries is offline  
Old
02-10-2011, 01:54 PM
  #878
LyleOdelein
Registered User
 
LyleOdelein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Renfrew
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savynquick View Post
Guys can I ask an honest simple, non-trolling question?

If the rolls had been reversed, and you had the bigger/tougher team, and those fights had resulted in a lot of beat-up Bruins, would you be outraged today? Or would you simply say "good riddance?"

I'm just wondering if it's a genuine real issue worth discussing, or if it's just sort of being on the wrong side of that battle. And fwiw, I thought it was an awesome game, and could make for an awesome playoff series.
Great question.

I have no problem with the Bruins doing what they did. They had a tougher team and exploited a chance to use it. Nothing wrong with that.

If the roles were reversed, I'd definitely enjoy it. I don't hold anything against you guys for being excited about the stuff that went down. My main contention is that there might be a little too much being read into it.

LyleOdelein is offline  
Old
02-10-2011, 01:56 PM
  #879
Number8
Registered User
 
Number8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
The Bruins have done this to the Habs several times in the last few years. This is just the first time it's happened since Savard got injured, so now people are deciding to read more context into it.

I've heard similar things after Lucic "got" Komisarek back in a fight, or when Lucic and Chara went after Komisarek and when Thomas went after Kostitsyn and when Mark Stuart beat up Kostitsyn and when Chara went after Latendresse, and when and when Jeremy Reich (I think) tuned up Steve Begin as late revenge for injuring Savard.

This is more or less the same Bruins team that had a big dust-up with the Stars last year (in which Ference gave Avery the what-for), then collapsed against the Flyers. This is the same Lucic that "made a stand" against Komisarek, then did nothing after his team's best centre was destroyed by a dirtbag piece of garbage. It's the same captain that has kept Habs agitators in line for years.

This is the same team that has had 3 real chances to get at Cooke (including a 3 goal win like last night's game), but hasn't done so. I'll believe they're a different team when I see them go through Engelland, Godard, Asham, Adams and Rupp to get at Cooke. I'd love to see it happen, but I don't think it will.
I generally agree. Didn't mean to make it too big a deal - only to say that the Bruins have been (rightly) accused of not having enough heart or engaging enough over recent years. I do think that the justified criticism over their inaction in defending Savard and Bergeron (against Pitts and Philly, both of which are fairly well stocked with bruisers) has resonated with the players and will result in them at times playing with much more aggression than in the past. If they keep it in control, I believe that will help them in the playoffs.

Like you I would truly love to see them go through the Engellands (who crushed Savard again this season), Godards, etc.. to get at Cooke and square the books -- at least somewhat.

That said, I'd gladly see anyone do that -- and will instantly be a major fan of the day for that team, whoever they are. Even Montreal! Hell, I'd even become a Pittsburgh fan if someone would take him out in practice one day.

We can legitimately argue whether some of the scraps last night went over the line. However, I think most wouldn't argue with the point that Matt Cooke is a player who cares little for whether he seriously hurts other players or not.

Number8 is offline  
Old
02-10-2011, 02:00 PM
  #880
CuteHockeyBunny
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Yugoslavia
Posts: 1,113
vCash: 500
Bruins beat an old man and an unwilling youth, everyone panics and tries to remedy the situation.
Habs knock out an aggressor and deliver a proper beatdown on a separate occasion? What? When did this happen?

Let's face it, the Bruins toughs are anything but. They'll be forever a joke for ignoring Cooke on his cheapshot and his little scrap with Thornton. Fighting Spacek was the saddest thing, not for us, but for them. It felt like a little boy wanted to be like the grown ups so he picked up on the one that he knows can't defend himself. 0 respect earned for Boychuck. What little was had, was lost. Yea, Spacek and Pyatt took a beating. At least they took em like men and not like a Krejci.

We have a good team that stood up to them. Yea, Subban didn't want to fight Lucic. So what? The Hunchback of Beantown didn't want to fight Moen so it evens out.

We're missing one big forward and this was known at the start of the season. This doesn't change anything now.

Upon watching the video, Spacek was grabbing Boychuck's back with his gloves on while Boychuck was already throwing fists. What the hell? This is THE pussiest move a "fighter" can do. Wow. Hahahah "tough" Bruins indeed.


Last edited by overlords: 02-10-2011 at 02:21 PM.
CuteHockeyBunny is offline  
Old
02-10-2011, 02:03 PM
  #881
Number8
Registered User
 
Number8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
That's the thing, only team in the league that Pacioretty gets under the skin of is the Bruins so it's obviously it leads back to the little shove. It'd love for him to piss off other opponents and get them to take dumb penalties too but he doesn't have that effect with other teams. I seriously doubt Gionta would hold a grudge and go after him the next game multiple times and expect Seguin to fight for some reason. He'd probably push Seguin, or the more likely suspect Marchand, back after the shove at the time though.

What kinda surprises me is how much the Bruins players bad mouth the Habs to the media after games. Is this common when they face other teams too? Even with all the Habs media we never hear the Habs players say anything close to what the Bruins players (Marchand last night and Krejci in the game before for example) get quoted for.
Interesting. I confess, I see very few Canadien's games outside of match-ups against Boston. I naturally assumed Pacioretty gets under skin of other teams as well because I certainly think he does with Boston -- probably because he scores too many damn goals against us!

As far as bad-mouthing other teams, I'd have to say the answer is no. Think it all comes down to the BOS/MTL rivalry thing, and the fact that for the last 10 games or so, Montreal has owned us. Marchand is a yapper and an agitator (the good kind, in my opinion) so I'd not put too much stock in what he might say. David Krejci on the other hand is about as mild mannered as they get -- really be hard pressed to get him to say something unkind -- which leads me to believe there really is something "special" about the BOS/MTL clashes -- at least from the Boston side.

Number8 is offline  
Old
02-10-2011, 02:07 PM
  #882
Redux91
I do Three bullets.
 
Redux91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montreal West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,386
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
Great question.

I have no problem with the Bruins doing what they did. They had a tougher team and exploited a chance to use it. Nothing wrong with that.

If the roles were reversed, I'd definitely enjoy it. I don't hold anything against you guys for being excited about the stuff that went down. My main contention is that there might be a little too much being read into it.
agreed, if you got the muscle, use it

its always been "the habs have the speed to outrun the hulking bruins" ,...uhh..bruins have alot of speed too now, it completely offsets us and thats what we saw, and THEN we got pummeled, if they have the personel, and they are apart of our division and are sick of us beating them, then yes, they will use what they got to hurt us, and they did

what should WE do? not sign 3 straight up fighters, but we absolutely have to get bigger somehow, its ridiculous, right now were looking small up front AND in the back end, its unreal

Redux91 is offline  
Old
02-10-2011, 02:08 PM
  #883
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,403
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DumFries View Post
Although, I saw highlights of the wildest game thus far this season, I realized many things, Americans chanting the American anthem or USA when Chara hit Pacces was lame. It goes to show you that how unaware some Americans are about hockey in general. Hello, Boston? Pacces is American!!

Also, in the States, it seems teams rely on playing this type of game to sell tickets which is really sad.

The Habs could of easily destroyed a few of these Bruins players starting by Price who could of easily given a good beaten to Tim Thomas and even Pouliot was nice to Krejci.

Also, the Habs defense is getting lousy. Gauthier needs to address that. Also, bringing in a few tough guys who can play hockey and score will help this team defend itself against teams like the Bruins and Flyers.

I hope the Habs bounce back from this, stronger than before. For the next meeting, I don't think Montreal will be that nice. I hope we don't see another type of Komisarek situation and I also think that "monkey" Lucic will probably get what's coming to him this time.

All in all, both clubs have a long rivalry which was extinguished slightly only to resurface for some time again this past decade. However, the rivalry hit another level last night, the former Habs in Boston have managed to recreate the rivalry of the past.
I think since the Wisniewski addition the defense has been much improved, Weber is playing very well the last 3-4 weeks, Subban has calmed down, Hamrlik has been solid. Let's not get too carried away over a game where both teams looked awful without the puck, including Price and Thomas.

I'd like to add a strong stay at home guy, but not at any price.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
02-10-2011, 02:13 PM
  #884
Number8
Registered User
 
Number8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
I wonder if pacioretty and marchand are buddies tho?

i remember recognizing marchand in that box jump video as the guy holding the box for max



i dont know what relevance this has to anything but i just remember recognizing him a while back, and i wonder if they hate each other now or something with the whole habs vs bruins, i just find it interresting is all, maybe max can tell marchand to cool it a little jesus
Just did that in my living room.

5.7"....... Yes!

Seriously, that's almost inhuman.

Number8 is offline  
Old
02-10-2011, 02:15 PM
  #885
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,641
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Just so everyone knows the kind of ******* Marchand is. If you look at his QMJHL history, you will see he was scratched in the play-offs for the Mooseheads when they were trying to make a push for winning the Q. (team had Voracek this year..)

The reason he was scratched? When the team went down 2 games in the play-offs, they were looking to him in the room to step up and he basically said.. "This isn't my team, I don't care, I won my two gold medals."

WeThreeKings is online now  
Old
02-10-2011, 02:18 PM
  #886
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
Interesting. I confess, I see very few Canadien's games outside of match-ups against Boston. I naturally assumed Pacioretty gets under skin of other teams as well because I certainly think he does with Boston -- probably because he scores too many damn goals against us!

As far as bad-mouthing other teams, I'd have to say the answer is no. Think it all comes down to the BOS/MTL rivalry thing, and the fact that for the last 10 games or so, Montreal has owned us. Marchand is a yapper and an agitator (the good kind, in my opinion) so I'd not put too much stock in what he might say. David Krejci on the other hand is about as mild mannered as they get -- really be hard pressed to get him to say something unkind -- which leads me to believe there really is something "special" about the BOS/MTL clashes -- at least from the Boston side.
And yet I bet you think Subban isn't the good kind right?

sheed36 is offline  
Old
02-10-2011, 02:18 PM
  #887
Redux91
I do Three bullets.
 
Redux91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montreal West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,386
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
lil update after last nights debacle

Price's Save percentage went from .923 to .918

and Thomas' went from .945 to .942

bah! no moral victory there!

Redux91 is offline  
Old
02-10-2011, 02:20 PM
  #888
BoyntBergie
Registered User
 
BoyntBergie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
Great question.

I have no problem with the Bruins doing what they did. They had a tougher team and exploited a chance to use it. Nothing wrong with that.

If the roles were reversed, I'd definitely enjoy it. I don't hold anything against you guys for being excited about the stuff that went down. My main contention is that there might be a little too much being read into it.
Good stuff Cornelius.

I agreed with your posts in the Fights forum too.

BoyntBergie is offline  
Old
02-10-2011, 02:20 PM
  #889
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
And yet I bet you think Subban isn't the good kind right?
Yhea. Because the good kind talks about it in the media, the bad kind keeps it on the ice.

PricePkPatch is online now  
Old
02-10-2011, 02:21 PM
  #890
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
lil update after last nights debacle

Price's Save percentage went from .923 to .918

and Thomas' went from .945 to .942

bah! no moral victory there!
I don't really mind. Will mean slightly lower numbers when we give him his big contract next year

overlords is offline  
Old
02-10-2011, 02:24 PM
  #891
Redux91
I do Three bullets.
 
Redux91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Montreal West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,386
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I don't really mind. Will mean slightly lower numbers when we give him his big contract next year
i dread the day, when we'll have to pay out for carey..

i mean i love him, but hes gonna be expensive...

i posted 2 years ago that we should give him a 10 year deal but noooooo

Redux91 is offline  
Old
02-10-2011, 02:30 PM
  #892
HH
GO HABS GO!
 
HH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,265
vCash: 500
Pacioretty now has 16pts in 25 games!

HH is offline  
Old
02-10-2011, 02:34 PM
  #893
Number8
Registered User
 
Number8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
And yet I bet you think Subban isn't the good kind right?
I do (meaning I think he's a good agitator -- you'd have to be crazy to not want him on your team). I've said on this board before that I would love him in Boston.

Unfortunately I have to dislike him as he's currently on the Habs, it's just the way of the world ..... but that can change!

Number8 is offline  
Old
02-10-2011, 02:35 PM
  #894
Gros Bonhomme
Benoit Brunet #1 Fan
 
Gros Bonhomme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 312
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Gros Bonhomme
Hopefully an event like last night will serve as a wake up call for this team. Reminds me of that infamous games the Red Wings had against Colorado back in the 90's. They never were the same team again after. I love my Habs and I can't stand seeing them being pushed around like that .

Gros Bonhomme is offline  
Old
02-10-2011, 02:45 PM
  #895
LyleOdelein
Registered User
 
LyleOdelein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Renfrew
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
I generally agree. Didn't mean to make it too big a deal - only to say that the Bruins have been (rightly) accused of not having enough heart or engaging enough over recent years. I do think that the justified criticism over their inaction in defending Savard and Bergeron (against Pitts and Philly, both of which are fairly well stocked with bruisers) has resonated with the players and will result in them at times playing with much more aggression than in the past. If they keep it in control, I believe that will help them in the playoffs.
Don't worry about "making a big deal" of things. You certainly didn't. I just have an inability to keep my posts short, so try not to read too much into that.

The funny thing is I think that most people are overlooking the major difference that I have noticed about the Bruins this season, their skill up front. I just don't have it in me to expand on this point right now (I don't have the nerve to type out the praise required), but my main contention would be that their depth has vastly improved (even without Savard) due to a couple nice pick-ups, players developing and guys returning to form.

Lets just say that this Bruins team is more most dangerous than its earlier versions in my opinion.

LyleOdelein is offline  
Old
02-10-2011, 02:45 PM
  #896
icerocket
Registered User
 
icerocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Atlantis
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Pacioretty now has 16pts in 25 games!
That is good.

icerocket is offline  
Old
02-10-2011, 02:49 PM
  #897
Number8
Registered User
 
Number8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
Lets just say that this Bruins team is more most dangerous than its earlier versions in my opinion.
We're hoping Brian Burke can help us continue to grow!

We need to though. The Philly collapse last year was crushing. Maybe in long-run it will pay dividends, but in the meantime.....ugh

Number8 is offline  
Old
02-10-2011, 03:04 PM
  #898
llamateizer
Registered User
 
llamateizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Country:
Posts: 5,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savynquick View Post
Guys can I ask an honest simple, non-trolling question?

If the rolls had been reversed, and you had the bigger/tougher team, and those fights had resulted in a lot of beat-up Bruins, would you be outraged today? Or would you simply say "good riddance?"

I'm just wondering if it's a genuine real issue worth discussing, or if it's just sort of being on the wrong side of that battle. And fwiw, I thought it was an awesome game, and could make for an awesome playoff series.
it was an awesome game and everything

the only problem i have is the fights in the last minute.
players kept hitting after the player was on the ground
Ference sent 4 hits when Moen was down
Boychuk sent 6 shots before Spacek let down both gloves.
Pyatt's fight was ok against Campbell
Pouliot vs krejci was also ok. it was a "1 shot kill"
Thornton vs Hamrlik is a joke. he wanted to kill him litteraly if the refs would've not done anything

your team was winning the game and still wanted to fight. I dont understood this
normally its the losing team who is frustrated.

I liked the game in general (dont want this too often in the season (once per 5years))
last minute was a real shame. sending goons in the last min made me losing respect for Claude Julien.

If this is the result of many years beatup by the habs. its a real shame
we lose badly against the flyers. id never want to see a game like yesterday with free violence .

llamateizer is offline  
Old
02-10-2011, 03:18 PM
  #899
sheed36
Registered User
 
sheed36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post
it was an awesome game and everything

the only problem i have is the fights in the last minute.
players kept hitting after the player was on the ground
Ference sent 4 hits when Moen was down
Boychuk sent 6 shots before Spacek let down both gloves.
Pyatt's fight was ok against Campbell
Pouliot vs krejci was also ok. it was a "1 shot kill"
Thornton vs Hamrlik is a joke. he wanted to kill him litteraly if the refs would've not done anything

your team was winning the game and still wanted to fight. I dont understood this
normally its the losing team who is frustrated.


I liked the game in general (dont want this too often in the season (once per 5years))
last minute was a real shame. sending goons in the last min made me losing respect for Claude Julien.

If this is the result of many years beatup by the habs. its a real shame
we lose badly against the flyers. id never want to see a game like yesterday with free violence .

It wouldn't surprise me if Julien got fined for sending out the goon squad in a game that was practically over..

Pierre Mcguire said during the game that the Bruins should expect a call from the NHL for their antics at the end last night.. So any word on if they did?

sheed36 is offline  
Old
02-10-2011, 03:20 PM
  #900
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if Julien got fined for sending out the goon squad in a game that was practically over..

Pierre Mcguire said during the game that the Bruins should expect a call from the NHL for their antics at the end last night.. So any word on if they did?
To his defense, he doesn't have many options that wouldn't be considered the 'goon squad'.

overlords is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.