HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill X

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2011, 03:48 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShattStar03 View Post
These clowns do sling a lot of poo around (usually never materializes) but I found it interesting. So here it is.

The Fourth Period: Kings GM Dean Lombardi remains on the prowl for a top-line forward and appears itching to make a move to strengthen his team's chances at making the playoffs.
Los Angeles has been very active on the trade front, with reports claiming Lombardi has inquired about New York Rangers right wing Marian Gaborik and Buffalo Sabres sniper Thomas Vanek.

While neither Gaborik nor Vanek appear to be on the market, Lombardi is looking elsewhere and is believed to be dangling the likes of Wayne Simmonds as trade bait.
A number of teams have also approached the Kings about top prospect Brayden Schenn's availability. It was originally thought Schenn was untouchable, but Lombardi has supposedly opened up to the idea of trading away the young center.

The Kings are reportedly interested in Edmonton Oilers right wing Ales Hemsky, Ottawa Senators center Mike Fisher and Toronto Maple Leafs forward Kris Versteeg.
Lombardi can't really trade for Gaborik unless it's an absolute steal. He could have had him for free if he actually outbid somebody! Hemsky and Versteeg won't recquire Schenn. Vanek? Not sure. I think Vanek would flourish here though.

Old
02-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShattStar03 View Post
These clowns do sling a lot of poo around (usually never materializes) but I found it interesting. So here it is.

The Fourth Period: Kings GM Dean Lombardi remains on the prowl for a top-line forward and appears itching to make a move to strengthen his team's chances at making the playoffs.
Los Angeles has been very active on the trade front, with reports claiming Lombardi has inquired about New York Rangers right wing Marian Gaborik and Buffalo Sabres sniper Thomas Vanek.

While neither Gaborik nor Vanek appear to be on the market, Lombardi is looking elsewhere and is believed to be dangling the likes of Wayne Simmonds as trade bait.
A number of teams have also approached the Kings about top prospect Brayden Schenn's availability. It was originally thought Schenn was untouchable, but Lombardi has supposedly opened up to the idea of trading away the young center.

The Kings are reportedly interested in Edmonton Oilers right wing Ales Hemsky, Ottawa Senators center Mike Fisher and Toronto Maple Leafs forward Kris Versteeg.
The Kings interest in Fischer has now been confirmed by Dreger and Strickland, so hopefully the interest in Hemsky and Versteeg is legit as well

Old
02-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
McKenzie, who I think is one of the most respectable hockey journalists there is, thinks the Kings should try to acquire Hejduk.

While it doesn't seem realistic at first, if the Avs keep losing they could quickly become sellers. Colorado needs goaltending and defensive prospects. We make good trading partners.
Hadn't thought about that and he does seem like a good fit, but he has a NMC and has pretty firmly entrenched himself in Colorado.

Old
02-10-2011, 03:51 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
McKenzie, who I think is one of the most respectable hockey journalists there is, thinks the Kings should try to acquire Hejduk.

While it doesn't seem realistic at first, if the Avs keep losing they could quickly become sellers. Colorado needs goaltending and defensive prospects. We make good trading partners.
I disagree. I think with Forsberg coming, they have to be buyers. Who knows if Forsberg will make it through the rest of the season let alone next season. Sure he could still be useful as a mentor, but what's the point unless they are going all out for the playoffs where Forsberg's value is sky high?

Old
02-10-2011, 03:53 PM
DeeMeck

I think Colorado trades for Vokoun to make a run.

Old
02-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Wawota

Exactly Right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I wouldn't give up Forbort either, but I think a 1st round pick has to be in play, especially considering what Fisher was dealt for and he's closer to the talent level of Stoll than Penner.

I wouldn't part with Voynov either and would rather make any one of Martinez, Hickey, Teubert or Muzzin available along with a 1st and a marginal roster player/forward prospect that the organization has no room for.

It is the price to pay to get better and to add a 30-goal, 50-60 point winger. You also don't want to see others within the conference who are tight in a playoff race with your team to improve and add a player with that goal scoring ability. There aren't many of them available.

At this point, names like Penner, Hemsky, Versteeg have to be targeted and pursued. They can't settle for another Anson Carter, Cliff Ronning, Mark Parrish that are only support players. They need a player that can create scoring chances and Penner and the other names mentioned above have that ability.
That last paragraph is precisely the point. From your post to Lombardi's consciousness I pray

Old
02-10-2011, 03:59 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
Find Mark Parrish....lol. I actually have a signed Kings jersey of his. Not too many of those running around I imagine.
Here you go. These quotes are painful to read.
http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=457192
Quote:
"We feel the addition of Mark and Brent will strengthen our team down the stretch as we battle for a playoff spot," said Taylor. "Mark is a proven NHL scorer and will be a boost to our power play and Brent will solidify our defensive corps and has the versatility to play in all situations."
It's rather sad that the Kings' best deadline deals have been when the team has been sellers, like when they dealt Smolinski to Ottawa to acquire Tim Gleason. Or when they acquired Sean Avery, Maxim Kuznetsov, and first-round choice in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft (Jeff Tambellini) and a second-round choice in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft (later transferred to Boston) from Detroit for Mathieu Schneider. The best deadline trade the Kings made was back when they shipped an aging Ed Olczyk to Pittsburgh for Glen Murray.

Old
02-10-2011, 03:59 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I disagree. I think with Forsberg coming, they have to be buyers. Who knows if Forsberg will make it through the rest of the season let alone next season. Sure he could still be useful as a mentor, but what's the point unless they are going all out for the playoffs where Forsberg's value is sky high?
I don't disagree, but I don't think Hejuk is any less realistic than these fantasies about Gaborik/Vanek.

Remember, the deadline is still 18 days away. Plenty of time for Colorado to fall further. Right now, they're 14th in the conference, 7 points out of 8th. With the way they're playing now, they could be 15 points out by the 28th. They won't be buyers then.

Milan's current situation with the Avs reminds me of Smyth's situation with the Oilers when he was moved.

Old
02-10-2011, 04:01 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
I heard somewhere that if Forsberg can finish the season he wants a 2 year deal to end out his career. If Forsberg is healthy and he does have a great stretch run I have to say he will be hitting the free agent market at the exact right time. I don't think he came back to the US to flop out, pun intended.

Old
02-10-2011, 04:02 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:

If Colorado is a trading partner, maybe Mueller could be had. Dean loves injured guys at a bargain price.

Old
02-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

Quote:
The best deadline trade the Kings made was back when they shipped an aging Ed Olczyk to Pittsburgh for Glen Murray.
That was "the disaster's" doing, IIRC

I still can't believe they held on to Ray Ferraro, I thought he would have been gone before Eddie O

Old
DeeMeck

Sopel was aight....One of the picks we got for Sopel was used to pick Simmonds.

Old
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Versteeg is not someone you want on this Kings team, sorry. He is not the same player he was in Chicago, all he has proven this year is that he needs incredibly strong linemates to do something out there.
I haven't seen much of Versteeg and I'm pretty indifferent towards him in general I was just pointing out it made some sense. I think Vanek would be awesome with Kopi, not just this year but for the next few years. Always been a Booth fan too, do it Dean!

Old
02-10-2011, 04:08 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Versteeg is not someone you want on this Kings team, sorry. He is not the same player he was in Chicago, all he has proven this year is that he needs incredibly strong linemates to do something out there.
he's a sniper and needs someone to feed him the puck.

Chicago had those guys, TO doesn't.

Old
02-10-2011, 04:09 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Here you go. These quotes are painful to read.
http://kings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=457192

It's rather sad that the Kings' best deadline deals have been when the team has been sellers, like when they dealt Smolinski to Ottawa to acquire Tim Gleason. Or when they acquired Sean Avery, Maxim Kuznetsov, and first-round choice in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft (Jeff Tambellini) and a second-round choice in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft (later transferred to Boston) from Detroit for Mathieu Schneider. The best deadline trade the Kings made was back when they shipped an aging Ed Olczyk to Pittsburgh for Glen Murray.
Sounds like the makings of a pretty good poll. Who was the best acqusition at the deadline in their history? If you did the worst players the list would be too long. Is it just me or did Dave taylor basically say the same thing about every player?

Old
02-10-2011, 04:12 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
he's a sniper and needs someone to feed him the puck.

Chicago had those guys, TO doesn't.
And he brings speed. As long as nothing major goes the other way I'd take Versteeg. He still has upside, he may get better playing for a team with no media coverage or that has decent weather in the winter. Ron Wilson has been known for playing a system that can kill offensive numbers, playing with the freedom Terry Murray allows may boost his game!

Old
02-10-2011, 04:14 PM
northernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Dreger said the Kings were in on Mike Fisher until the end
IMO LA probably offered an identical package of picks, but OTT probably gave Fisher his choice of city.

Old
02-10-2011, 04:17 PM
nki

Also from Strickland:

His second option was Los Angeles who Iím told actually put a better package on the table. Word is the Kings along with the Carolina Hurricanes had acceptable offers on the table for Fisher.

Ottawa showed a whole lot of class in working out a trade with Nashville knowing thatís where Fisher wanted to go if a trade was made.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Andy-...Fisher/5/33575

Old
02-10-2011, 04:18 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Makes sense, though I am not too keen on hearing that we were that deep in on Fisher.

ďThis is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!Ē - Bob Miller
Old
02-10-2011, 04:23 PM
northernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nki View Post
Also from Strickland:

His second option was Los Angeles who Iím told actually put a better package on the table. Word is the Kings along with the Carolina Hurricanes had acceptable offers on the table for Fisher.

Ottawa showed a whole lot of class in working out a trade with Nashville knowing thatís where Fisher wanted to go if a trade was made.

Don't know whats more crazy. The fact we posted similiar ideas in this thread or the fact our user id's are almost identical!

Old
02-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Makes sense, though I am not too keen on hearing that we were that deep in on Fisher.
My thoughts exactly. We dodged a bullet

Old
02-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

One can make excuses and give reasons 24/7 as to why this player should not be acquired, or isn't the right fit, or costs too much, etc. You can go back and look at every single trade in the past 30 years in NHL history and come up with reasonable arguments that the trade, in foresight, was not in the best interests of the team. But in hockey, like life, you get out what you put in. If you are adverse to risk, every risk other than the highest percentage of calculated risk, you will find yourself often standing still while others pass you by.

Nashville got stronger and better today, just as the Ducks did yesterday - Two teams with whom we are competing for a playoff spot today and this season.

The Kings continue to stand still.

Old
02-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
One can make excuses and give reasons 24/7 as to why this player should not be acquired, or isn't the right fit, or costs too much, etc. You can go back and look at every single trade in the past 30 years in NHL history and come up with reasonable arguments that the trade, in foresight, was not in the best interests of the team. But in hockey, like life, you get out what you put in. If you are adverse to risk, every risk other than the highest percentage of calculated risk, you will find yourself often standing still while others pass you by.

Nashville got stronger and better today, just as the Ducks did yesterday - Two teams with whom we are competing for a playoff spot.

The Kings continue to stand still.
Don't forget Chicago, that was a steal of a deal. Overall I agree, it is time to dump some assets, even more than what we were hoping to dump. We need a big splash, can Dean answer the call? I am sitting here hoping...

Old
02-10-2011, 04:33 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by nki View Post
Also from Strickland:

Not sure I understand Dean's line of thinking on this one if he did indeed have a better offer on the table. NSH paid a high price to get Fisher and we didn't need him as badly as they do.

Old
02-10-2011, 04:34 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Don't forget Chicago, that was a steal of a deal. Overall I agree, it is time to dump some assets, even more than what we were hoping to dump. We need a big splash, can Dean answer the call? I am sitting here hoping...
WHY?

Closed Thread