HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill X

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Not sure I understand Dean's line of thinking on this one if he did indeed have a better offer on the table. NSH paid a high price to get Fisher and we didn't need him as badly as they do.
Probably to replace Handzus in the offseason. I wouldn't have been opposed. He could have played wing if need be until next season.

Old
02-10-2011, 03:44 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
WHY?
Why shouldn't we? Is the goal to make the playoffs or what?

Old
02-10-2011, 03:45 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
Why shouldn't we? Is the goal to make the playoffs or what?
The goal is to win the Stanley Cup some day. Did you watch the video?

Old
02-10-2011, 03:46 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Not sure I understand Dean's line of thinking on this one if he did indeed have a better offer on the table. NSH paid a high price to get Fisher and we didn't need him as badly as they do.
I understand his thinking, clearly. However, Fisher is not the right Centre to pick up from Ottawa. Spezza would have been a better choice.

Old
02-10-2011, 03:47 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
I understand his thinking, clearly. However, Fisher is not the right Centre to pick up from Ottawa. Spezza would have been a better choice.
Well then you don't understand why he would be willing to pay that kind of price for Fisher then either it seems, if you say he should be going after Spezza.

Old
02-10-2011, 03:50 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Someday...yeah some fans have been hearing THAT for 40 plus years. By the way, they took down that video, judging from the comments on that video...it sucked. So there's that...

Also, I don't know if you know, but in order to win the Cup, you need to make the playoffs.

Old
02-10-2011, 03:52 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Just making the playoffs does not lead to winning a cup.

Keep your best assets for when the team is in a position to actually make a splash that matters to attaining that goal. To hell with just making the playoffs. These kids need to learn how to do that on their own. They are capable.

Old
02-10-2011, 03:53 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Well then you don't understand why he would be willing to pay that kind of price for Fisher then either it seems, if you say he should be going after Spezza.
Well it is Fisher, and frankly I am glad the Kings passed on that deal. We got enough 3rd line centers/ role players on this team. I understand the need to upgrade the Centre position, since we lack any good faceoff centres outside of Stoll.

As I, Hollywood and others have been harping for a quality Centre on this forum for some time now.

Old
02-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I agree thaty the young players need to get to the playoffs on their own but Mike Fisher would have secured the center position for the Kings next year. Given the comments on the draft, wasting a first rounder probably wouldn't be a big deal. It isn't like he would be the difference between making the playoffs or not but he would give the Kings somebody to replace handzus this summer.

Old
02-10-2011, 04:11 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Well it is Fisher, and frankly I am glad the Kings passed on that deal. We got enough 3rd line centers/ role players on this team. I understand the need to upgrade the Centre position, since we lack any good faceoff centres outside of Stoll.

As I, Hollywood and others have been harping for a quality Centre on this forum for some time now.
I agree, as I have said many times, I having been pining for Jordan Staal for many years and believe he would be an outstanding fit as our #2 center. Unfortunately, the Penguins seem to be willing to go without much talent at all on the wings in order to keep the three centers they have.

I have also advocated going after Richards hard this summer if he is available.

Spezza is down further on my list, but I would bet he is on Dean's radar. Not sure Ottawa is going to move him though.

Old
02-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
Looking at this video, Booth seems to be a perfect fit along side Kopitar. I honestly havnt seem him play much, but it looks like he has a damn good shot, and has solid hands on him too. His cap hit is decent(4.25M with 4 years remaining after this season), and he's only 26. We'd be set everywhere on the roster for years...

Booth-Kopitar-Brown
Smyth-Stoll-Williams
Poni/Sturm-Handzus-Simmonds
Clifford-Lewis-Richardson/Parse

Old
02-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Shellz

Hfboards likes to crash.

Old
02-10-2011, 05:00 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
One can make excuses and give reasons 24/7 as to why this player should not be acquired, or isn't the right fit, or costs too much, etc. You can go back and look at every single trade in the past 30 years in NHL history and come up with reasonable arguments that the trade, in foresight, was not in the best interests of the team. But in hockey, like life, you get out what you put in. If you are adverse to risk, every risk other than the highest percentage of calculated risk, you will find yourself often standing still while others pass you by.

Nashville got stronger and better today, just as the Ducks did yesterday - Two teams with whom we are competing for a playoff spot today and this season.

The Kings continue to stand still.
Doing nothing in fear of doing something wrong is not the starting place I want to begin from.

Quote:
Quote:

Keep your best assets for when the team is in a position to actually make a splash that matters to attaining that goal. To hell with just making the playoffs. These kids need to learn how to do that on their own. They are capable.
OK, I get it, you are patient. But where (in how many years) does your patience end. Assets are great, as is capspace, but neither get you anything if they remain unused.

Old
02-10-2011, 06:11 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Doing nothing in fear of doing something wrong is not the starting place I want to begin from.

OK, I get it, you are patient. But where (in how many years) does your patience end. Assets are great, as is capspace, but neither get you anything if they remain unused.
I agree. You think Doughty, Johnson, Kopitar, Bernier/Quick, etc. are one splashy trade deadline deal away from a cup? You and I both know the answer to that one.

Let's see what Dean does at the deadline. If he makes a major acquisition I suspect it will be for something that fits the core age group. I don't think that is Gaborik and I don't think Vanek's contract is cap friendly enough to suit Dean. He may have explored those options, but if those rumors are already out there, chances are those discussions are already over without anything happening.

Old
02-10-2011, 06:24 PM
Johnny Utah

I would rather the Kings do nothing that throw around the names like Simmonds and Schenn trade speculation. I don't want either of those guys moving.

Old
02-10-2011, 07:22 PM
KingLB

I'm so confused by ppl bashing DL here for "doing his diligence" then not getting a player.....so DL should not ask around unless he is willing to do everything to get the player? Or every player he asks about he should trade for? So the Kings have 45 players on the active roster.....

Old
02-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:

Making the playoffs is the first step, and the Kings may not make it this year.

Secondly, while I do agree that you retain your best assets until the opportunity strikes to make a trade that improves your club, the Kings' inability to acquire talent via trade or free agency has put them in a position where there are hardly any options left.

The Kings may have to wait until the summer of 2012 or 2013 to find that player, and that is if those players are not re-signed or dealt elsewhere. Missing out on adding pieces has lead to the current situation where there is hardly any player that is available that could help this team.

Old
02-10-2011, 07:57 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Making the playoffs is the first step, and the Kings may not make it this year.

Secondly, while I do agree that you retain your best assets until the opportunity strikes to make a trade that improves your club, the Kings' inability to acquire talent via trade or free agency has put them in a position where there are hardly any options left.

The Kings may have to wait until the summer of 2012 or 2013 to find that player, and that is if those players are not re-signed or dealt elsewhere. Missing out on adding pieces has lead to the current situation where there is hardly any player that is available that could help this team.
And Lombardi will be outbid in 2012 and 2013.

Old
02-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
And Lombardi will be outbid in 2012 and 2013.
It's ok, he'll be able to sell off the idea of the Kings having a lot of cap space when he meets with suckers, I mean season ticket holders.

Old
02-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
With Lombardi's and Murray's offensive philosophy, it doesn't matter who Lombardi gets to play the top line LW. They would still have to play the boring dump and chase offense. There is still zero drive through the middle with the Kings. Until that changes, I don't want the Kings to lose any of their top prospects.

Old
02-10-2011, 08:58 PM
Youngblood93

Spezza was mentioned in Ek's blog today.

This is who I want but is possible to get him without giving up Schenn?

If the Kings were able to get Spezza with out giving up Schenn, I'd kick Kopitar the LW.

Old
02-10-2011, 09:06 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngblood93 View Post

If the Kings were able to get Spezza with out giving up Schenn, I'd kick Kopitar the LW.
IF Spezza is acquired I would imagine Stoll or Handzus would be going the other way.

Old
02-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngblood93 View Post

I can't see how Ottawa would trade Spezza without getting a return centered around Schenn. They just dealt their #2 center, if they trade their top center, they sure as hell are going to expect Schenn in return.

Same goes for any other top flight forward like Vanek. There is just no way the Kings will be able to make a deal for an elite forward without giving up an elite prospect. So they either aim low and try to get a less talented player for a lower valued package, or they sit on their hands and hope that they can develop these types of players.

We've been waiting for Kopitar and Brown to take their game to the next level for the past couple of seasons... and that appears to be the one thing we Kings fans do best, wait, and wait, and wait...

Old
02-10-2011, 09:07 PM
Orenji

If Dean was gonna make a trade before the deadline, tomorrow would probably be the best time as we're heading into the toughest back-to-back of the season on the road against two explosive offensive teams.

Old
02-10-2011, 09:25 PM
lafan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
If Dean was gonna make a trade before the deadline, tomorrow would probably be the best time as we're heading into the toughest back-to-back of the season on the road against two explosive offensive teams.
I wouldnt do anything till the team was back at home... a trade like that b4 a back to back, would prolly not be a healthy move if it involved current roster players.

Closed Thread