HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Deadline

Old
02-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
Preds just made another trade. Hardly a blockbuster though. Some prospect from the Pens named Pierro-Zabotel for two of our guys who I have never heard of named Minella and D'Agostina. Pierro-Zabotel was immedietly assigned to Cincy, so clearly the offensive help we've been waiting for

EDIT- did some research on CPZ. He lit the world on fire in the WHL, drafted in the 3rd round, has been mediocre at the ECHL level and done nothing at the AHL level.

Last edited by Top 6 Spaling: 02-10-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 02:42 PM
predfan24

I think we are done in terms of forwards. If Boullion is out long term I can see us add a defensive D-man. The Preds certainly won't be adding anymore forwards with contracts that are 4+ million and have years left after this year ( Like Hemsky and Penner) I can't think of any rental wings right now who would be upgrades for us. Ignila would have been interesting but obviously Calgary is in the thick of things now.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 03:44 PM
tserberis*

If you think we lose Goc to FA, let get Hemsy or Penner for him and D prospect????

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 03:48 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserberis View Post
If you think we lose Goc to FA, let get Hemsy for him and D prospect????
If we were to do that we need to move a player with a bit of salary as well.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 04:10 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
If you think we lose Goc to FA, let get Hemsy or Penner for him and D prospect????
you dont seem to understand what edmonton would want coming back. They wouldnt want a player who will be a UFA this summer. they would want picks and prospects. they are building for the future

Goc is going to be ours for the rest of this season. hes is worth more to this team than we could get in return even if we lose him for nothing this summer

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 08:30 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
I think we are done in terms of forwards. If Boullion is out long term I can see us add a defensive D-man.
I really hope that isn't the case.

I put together a turnover percentage statistic that, like the one in basketball, estimates the number of times per 100 possessions a player commits a turnover. Klein checked in at an absurdly high .265. Only O'Brien (.382) was higher among every day players, and none of our other defensemen were even close to that number.

That statistic reaffirms what I've seen: that Klein is unreliable with the puck in his own zone. We need someone with him that can start the rush without giving the puck away as often. There B is R a Y very A suitable N veteran M solution C to C this A issue B on E the blue line that should be available for a reasonable cost.

Sulzer might not be bad at it, given time, but if we're trying to be a competitive team, we don't have time to wait on an expiring contract. Either get him locked down and play him or get someone else in here to play with Klein at even strength. Another defender with limited or no puck skills is the last thing we need.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 08:36 PM
tserberis*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
you dont seem to understand what edmonton would want coming back. They wouldnt want a player who will be a UFA this summer. they would want picks and prospects. they are building for the future

Goc is going to be ours for the rest of this season. hes is worth more to this team than we could get in return even if we lose him for nothing this summer
Looks like they set with first pick this year again, and they are loaded up front with what they have, and what coming from minors, but they weak on D... And they can try and sign Goc during the rest of the season. He would fit perfect in they young team.

Old
02-10-2011, 08:47 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post

I put together a turnover percentage statistic that, like the one in basketball, estimates the number of times per 100 possessions a player commits a turnover. Klein checked in at an absurdly high .265. Only O'Brien (.382) was higher among every day players, and none of our other defensemen were even close to that number.

That statistic reaffirms what I've seen: that Klein is unreliable with the puck in his own zone. We need someone with him that can start the rush without giving the puck away as often. There B is R a Y very A suitable N veteran M solution C to C this A issue B on E the blue line that should be available for a reasonable cost.

Sulzer might not be bad at it, given time, but if we're trying to be a competitive team, we don't have time to wait on an expiring contract. Either get him locked down and play him or get someone else in here to play with Klein at even strength. Another defender with limited or no puck skills is the last thing we need.
This is exactly the defenseman that stood out to me when I was scrolling through potential rentals from teams that are or might be sellers. Get it done Poile

Forwards looked more complicated. I didn't really see a goal scorer who plays for a seller AND is a UFA at the end of the season. We're going to have to move some salary somewhere if we are going to upgrade our offense.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

So what salary is going out the door to make room for McCabe?

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 09:18 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

If we were to acquire McCabe at the deadline we would only be on the hook for $1.26mil, and he would be a pure rental as he is a UFA on July 1st. I guess it just depends on how confident ownership is in the surging attendance continuing, and if they feel that full rev sharing isn't necessary. Otherwise I'm not really sure where the money comes from because it would definitely put us over the mid-point.

Of course this is all irrelevant is McCabe doesn't want to wave his NMC to come to Nashville.

Last edited by TMI: 02-10-2011 at 09:19 PM. Reason: adding
TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 09:25 PM
tserberis*

You all talk about money limit.

But does anybody know what is the limit?

And how that limit depends on playoff clinch?

And how that limit will depend on second round of PO???

Old
02-10-2011, 09:54 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
You all talk about money limit.

But does anybody know what is the limit?

And how that limit depends on playoff clinch?

And how that limit will depend on second round of PO???
the presumed money limit is the "cap midpoint" which is the most we can spend and still get full revenue sharing money

going deep into the playoffs obviously results in more money coming in but it would be a gamble to spend over the cap midpoint because if we didnt advance in the playoffs then we would not only not get the revenue from the playoffs but we would get several million less in revenue sharing this summer plus we'd owe the extra money we paid over the cap midpoint

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:17 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post

And I'll give you another stat. PK that is top 5 in the league. Klein leads the team in SH TOI at 3:16 which is a minute more per game than Weber and 1:05 more than Suter. I get that Klein makes some bone head plays with the puck but people miss the bigger picture with him. He is one of the reasons our PK is as good as it is. He and O'Brien, teamed with Spaling and Smithson have become a very solid unit for us. Remember everyone moaning we lost Zanon, Nichol, Fiddler and Hamhuis? I wouldn't want those 4 back in place of the 4 we've got out there now. Klein is tough as nails. O'Brien keeps the front of the net clear. Spaling is a beast on the PK. And as much as I hate to admit this, Smithson's faceoff value and play on the PK is invaluable.

Bash Klein all you want but remember this, he's been our third best defenseman this year by far and he's one of the reasons this team is as good defensively as it is.

Let me ask you this, did you take that turnover percentage any further than you did? Did you take it to how many goals his turnovers led to? I'd be interested to see that percentage because if he's turning the puck over and the puck isn't going in the net, is that percentage accurate of his play?

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:42 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Klein is doing good this year especially on the PK. I have to admit he is one of our better dman when it comes to carrying the puck in the O zone. But his passing isnt very consistent tho....

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 01:23 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Bash Klein all you want but remember this, he's been our third best defenseman this year by far and he's one of the reasons this team is as good defensively as it is.
I wasn't trying to suggest that he was useless at all, simply that he has a weakness that could come back to bite us in the playoffs. Adding a guy like McCabe (or another player that actually has business playing on a second defense pairing) mitigates that weakness.

Quote:
Let me ask you this, did you take that turnover percentage any further than you did? Did you take it to how many goals his turnovers led to? I'd be interested to see that percentage because if he's turning the puck over and the puck isn't going in the net, is that percentage accurate of his play?
I didn't; the NHL doesn't track goals generated off giveaways (for several reasons, one being the ambiguity of possession), and it's not really practical for me to go back and track them. However, it's not unreasonable to suggest that if a player turns the puck over every fourth possession, he his creating at least a few goals for the opposition.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 01:33 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Lets say Poile doesnt make another move for a "Game Changer". Who thinks we will have one at the start of next season?

Old
02-11-2011, 04:48 AM
OpenWheel

We have game changers. Rinne is a game changer. Weber is a game changer.

I think it depends on how we do. Polie may make changes if we make the playoff but lose in round one. If it turns out the reason we lost is scoring. But no, I expect pretty much the same team minus some of the lower line guys we don't want to give raises to. I really like adding Fisher though. Not a game changer but next year we can have some scoring ability on three mobile and aggressive lines, especially if Lombardi can play. A guy like Wilson will be even better.

So to sum up, if we lose in round one, they may see what they can do to change the philosophy.

But I prefer to imagine... What if it works this year?

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 06:23 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Gotta figure this means no Goc next year. Which was probably going to be true regardles since he seems to be playing himself into a nice salary bump
Why does everyone seem to think Goc may move on? There's no guarantee O'Reilly returns 100%, and even if he does he still had things left to prove, in my opinion. Lombardi could be knocked out for good with one hit even if he does return. So Poile is likely to want to have enough centers especially a guy like Goc who has played well..

Certainly some moves will need to be made, for money reasons... Maybe it will be Goc. But that depends on how much he is offered. Preds may be able to give him enough of a raise that he stays.

Old
02-11-2011, 06:29 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goc Ya View Post
Klein is doing good this year especially on the PK. I have to admit he is one of our better dman when it comes to carrying the puck in the O zone. But his passing isnt very consistent tho....
I agree with the post/article at OnThe Forecheck that says the Preds should leave Sulzer to partner with Klein even when Bouillon is available. He had some interesting stats showing Sulzer could handle it better, and help clear the zone better than Bouillon. Sort of bagged on Bouillon... But I actually agree, I like Sulzer, and think Bouillon plays a pairing too high yet O'Brien/Franson are the right fit for what they are used for.

Of course Trotz lives and dies by his grinding veterans and Bouillon has played decently since he arrived, so I doubt Sulzer stays with Klein. But I think he should. I really like Klein, not as high on Bouillon.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 02-11-2011 at 06:34 AM.
Old
02-11-2011, 09:54 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Next years roster is pretty much set too:

Erat Lombardi Kostitsyn
Wilson Fisher Hornqvist
Dumont O'Reilly Legwand
Spaling Smithson Halischuk
Tootoo

Weber-Suter
Bouillion-Klein
-Franson

Rinne
Lindback

You can adjust the lines anyway you want and cry about Goc but Nashville upgraded Goc to Fisher next year. Ward and Sully were gone to pay for SK and Weber anyway.

What becomes interesting is will Blum FINALLY get to play in the NHL to replace O'Brien?

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:13 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post

Erat Lombardi Kostitsyn
Wilson Fisher Hornqvist
Dumont O'Reilly Legwand
Spaling Smithson Halischuk
Tootoo

Weber-Suter
Bouillion-Klein
-Franson

Rinne
Lindback

You can adjust the lines anyway you want and cry about Goc but Nashville upgraded Goc to Fisher next year. Ward and Sully were gone to pay for SK and Weber anyway.

What becomes interesting is will Blum FINALLY get to play in the NHL to replace O'Brien?
if he isn't dealt, I think so. Well, I say that, but I know how much Trotz loves Ellis too. Problem is, Weber, Franson, Klein, Ellis, and Blum all play RD. I also think we move dumont or erat this summer. don't know to who, don't know for what, but if we were desperate enough, we could take a 7th round pick for either. O'Reilly at this point is a spare part. I see him gone too. Our centers next year, if healthy are Lombardi, Legwand, Fisher and Spaling/Smithson. No Goc, no O'Reilly. I do think Halischuck proved he can hang on a checking line, and will more than likely be there next year after finishing this year in Milwaukee. I also think we see geoffrion up here next year. I don't think it is any lock SK is back to be honest. and we also have no idea what the IIHF and nhl are gonna rule on Radulov.

Point being..our roster is not set, or probably close to being set.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:17 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post

Weber-Suter
Bouillion-Klein
-Franson

I hope it's:

Weber-Suter
Franson-Klein
Blum-Bouillion

I know that Franson and Klein both play Right D, but I think if they are given a full off-season to switch, they could make it work. With these D pairings, we have 2 two-way defenseman on the first pairing, and 1 OFD and 1 DFD on the second and third. That looks solid to me.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 01:17 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

I dont think our roster is set, we simply have to many NHL players under contract for next year if were healthy. Ellis will be in MIL, Blum and Josi will be fighting for a roster spot. Dumont is also going to be a waste of a roster spot and cap hit like he pretty much is this year. I think Poile is going to have to make moves.
I see us losing... O'reilly, Ward, Sully, Tootoo, Goc, Sulzer, hopefully Dumont, and who knows whats going to happen with Weber. If were not going to be able to sign him, Poile needs to make a blockbuster.

Old
02-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
We have all those D prospects and all these roster players. We have to make a move. I dont think Poile is done at all. He wanted to help the team now, not wait till deadline day. I expect another move for a winger and maybe a solid 3rd pairing d man.
How about something centered around
Blake Wheeler+Mark Stuart
for
one of your good offensive D prospects+Belak

Fire Julien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 02:46 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Seguin View Post
How about something centered around
Blake Wheeler+Mark Stuart
for
one of your good offensive D prospects+Belak
Be honest... How high do you think Wheelers ceiling his?