HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preds acquire Fisher

Old
02-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
I would have traded Legwand rather than a 1st.
Legwand has a no trade clause.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 09:15 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
That works when you have a team like Philadelphia last year, where everyone shows up on a regular basis. Our problem is that the guys we depend on to make that system work (guys like Legwand, Erat, even Goc and Hornqvist to an extent) disappear for 6-7-8 games at a time and the whole thing falls apart.

For this sort of team structure to work, our forwards need to be more consistent, and asking guys like Erat and Legwand to be consistent is about as likely as getting blood from a rock or finding a wealthy Caribbean island. We NEED those game-breaking forwards that every other successful team has if we want to make noise in the playoffs, and we should be focusing our efforts on those guys instead of more complimentary players (unless it's a puck-moving defense partner for Klein, which I'm all for). Even if it's just someone like Hemsky, at least it would show that we're trying to get significantly better up front.
San Jose says hello I think this team can win atleast one series, you gotta admit were a tough team and have looked solid this season. If we add a winger I bet its something similar to the Jan Hlavac trade, maybe Jussi Jokinen, someone like that.

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 09:24 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Yikes. I didn't think we'd go after him. Legwand and Lombardi are the exact same type of player.

But I welcome him. He'll fit right in and he's an upgrade over both of the aforementioned. I imagine the reason he costs a 1st rounder was because it's more than a deadline deal. He'll be here for 2 more seasons. He would have cost less if it was just a rental.

Really curious to see what the conditional is. Hopefully no more than a 3rd.
Is he ever going to play again?

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 09:31 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Man, just realizing work SUCKS for breaking news, but I'll definitely enjoy the paychecks when it comes time to pay for playoff hockey through late June!!!

Never expected Fisher to be acquired due to the contract, but LOVE IT!!! Fisher gives us Legwand v2.0, but they are different enough to compliment each other rather than simply be redundant. Fisher is a prototypical Nashville Predator and will become a fan favorite as has been said due to both his work on the ice and his work in the community.

As for those wondering about our offense...we are back to the strength of our Opening Night roster of centers. This team is built on depth and built to be strong up the middle. In the 2 games that the Preds had their full roster of Opening Night centers we averaged 3.5 goals per game. With Lombardi out, they averaged 3.1 GPG till the Goc and then Legwand, and then O'Reilly injuries occurred. The acquistion of Fisher will help the offense and as has been said will make playing against us quite the chore throughout the playoffs.

I do not think Poile is done and have ZERO issue with the price he paid. This move says we are serious and that only helps re-sign Weber and Suter in the future. Ownership is committed. They have the $ budgeted for our cornerstones and that is not going to disappear due to this or any other move this season.

Honestly, I do not believe Poile is done. Blum is a major trade piece to dangle along with our 2nd and or a roster player (Sulzer, Ward) to acquire another piece or two. I definitely think we have a defenseman coming and I also wouldn't doubt that we are in the bidding for an offensive threat as well.

This is simply another GREAT day to be a Nashville Predators fan!!!
Blum might be the next Bobby Orr. Are you sure that you want to trade him?

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 09:32 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
in yesterday's tennessean blog post ... it sounds like Trotz has written Lombardi off, that's why the trade was made

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 09:34 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goc Ya View Post
San Jose says hello
You mean the same San Jose team that has been out of the first round four times since the lockout, and went through us twice to do it?

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 09:34 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Yes...

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 09:43 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Good trade, can't wait to see him play in our jersey.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 09:44 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
You mean the same San Jose team that has been out of the first round four times since the lockout, and went through us twice to do it?
Yea with all that talent look what they've accomplished.....no cup

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 09:50 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goc Ya View Post
Yea with all that talent look what they've accomplished.....no cup
So if they can't win a Cup with all the talent they have, what chance have we got at one?

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 09:53 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
So if they can't win a Cup with all the talent they have, what chance have we got at one?
Our talent is on defense, it's easier to be consistantly good on defense.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:04 PM
MugenSilverSiR

It's great to see that there is alot of knowledgable hockey fans down here in Nashville. For those who doubt Fisher...you guys will be in for a surprise. As a Leafs fan playing against him was a nightmare. He comes out to play and play hard. I am just glad to see him out of our division but sad to see a good Canadian boy traded down south.

Good luck down there Fish! Take good care of him Carrie.

MugenSilverSiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:04 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Seth, while I agree with your assessment of the trade itself, I disagree that Poile's not done. He sounded pretty adamant on 104.5 that this was it, aside from a depth move or two if the opportunity presented itself. He made it pretty clear that he likes our roster now, and I don't think we could afford to take on anymore money without somehow unloading Dumont.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:11 PM
topshelf15

Congrats on getting fisher .he is a selke finalist center in 2006, can play on the wing,among the league leaders in blocked shots by a forward ,gets a ton of hits on the forecheck,he is an underrated scraper .scores 20 to 25 and plays big in the playoffs

You got yourself one hell of a player for a few picks best of luck preds,burn down the west

topshelf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:18 PM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

So I hear you guys got Fisher. You think the Preds are a contender this season now with this addition? In my unbiased opinion, I think this is a really underrated team that could make bigtime noise in the playoffs.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:22 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
That would only weaken us down the middle. I doubt Ottawa would want to take Legwand anyway. They are in rebuilding mode. A 1st is more appealing than an over 30 center with a $4.5mil cap hit. I don't think your trade would've gotten off the ground even without the NTC

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:24 PM
topshelf15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
So I hear you guys got Fisher. You think the Preds are a contender this season now with this addition? In my unbiased opinion, I think this is a really underrated team that could make bigtime noise in the playoffs.
They are a huge dark horse ,the team is stacked with playoff type two way forwards,great mobile defense core and good goaltending.The preds wont be an easy out for anyone

Old
02-10-2011, 10:28 PM
SilasAdams

Quote:
Legwand > 1st

people really dont realize how important he is to the preds.

SilasAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:30 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf15 View Post
They are a huge dark horse ,the team is stacked with playoff type two way forwards,great mobile defense core and good goaltending.The preds wont be an easy out for anyone
We aren't usually. It's odd how the two times we've been the least difficult to play against we were actually considered contenders. Back in the Kariya days. We've given Detroit and Chicago fits in the post season

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:39 PM
topshelf15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
We aren't usually. It's odd how the two times we've been the least difficult to play against we were actually considered contenders. Back in the Kariya days. We've given Detroit and Chicago fits in the post season
I wouldnt surprise me in the least if you guys did make a run to the cup,your team is just that a team .That my friend can topple giants.Most playoff games are low and scoring tight checking ,this style suits the preds to a tee .

Call me crazy but i can see this team breaking a few hearts this year

Old
02-10-2011, 10:45 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Blum might be the next Bobby Orr. Are you sure that you want to trade him?
wow.

I mean...

um...

yeah.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:47 PM
SilasAdams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
last 2 playoff series we lost to the eventual cup winners.

SilasAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:52 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Here is my problem with this trade:

Fisher is inconsistent scoring wise and has only eclipsed 50 points once in his career. We've committed $4.2 million in salary to another of the same type of player, a hard working two-way player. We still lack that dynamic offensive threat, a guy who can take pressure off your defense and get a goal against the run of play.

I believe our team's biggest weakness right now is the ability to consistently score goals/ the PP. While I think this trade does make our team better, I don't think it addresses what I consider to be the biggest weakness and what is holding us back from making it to that next level. If we were adding Fisher and didn't have trouble scoring goals, I'd be all over this.
does your opinion change at all if he's a 3.5M center (which is what he is to nashville, ottawa paid the frontloaded years and signing bonuses).

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:54 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Seth, while I agree with your assessment of the trade itself, I disagree that Poile's not done. He sounded pretty adamant on 104.5 that this was it, aside from a depth move or two if the opportunity presented itself. He made it pretty clear that he likes our roster now, and I don't think we could afford to take on anymore money without somehow unloading Dumont.
Video is up on the Preds website with Tom Callahan interviewing Poile. On this subject he said now the roster is at where he envisioned it at the beginning of the season(With Fisher in Lombardi's place) and he is happy with where we are at. However he did say there is 6 or 7 games before the deadline and anything is possible. Personally I can only see us adding a D-man if anything assuming Boullion's concussion is worse than we think.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 11:02 PM
glenngineer

I think something that has been mentioned in a roundabout way but not really tied in yet is that Fisher is a heart and soul guy. He brings it every night. One thing the Preds lack is that sort of consistency on a nightly basis. Bringing in another solid team guy that plays hard can only help with the consistency issues this team faces on a weekly basis. I'm looking forward to seeing what Fisher can bring to our team.

SLake, I knew what you were going to post before I even read it. I knew you'd bring up the point about our scoring with certain guys in and out of our lineup. Thanks for not letting me down.

Whether or not we add anything else, I'm pretty happy with the balance we now currently have. Regardless if Bouillon comes back or not, Sulzer has done fine replacing him. O'Brien and Klein work well on the PK and obviously Suter and Weber do too. The only reason we add another defenseman is if Bouillon is out for the playoffs and then we need a veteran permascratch in case of injury.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote