HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Ian Laperriere (Feb. 10 update: still having problems with indoor lighting)

Old
02-10-2011, 09:37 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
What is the likelihood of him returning to the line up? The more and more I see this stuff, the lesser I believe it comes.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 09:43 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
What is the likelihood of him returning to the line up? The more and more I see this stuff, the lesser I believe it comes.
> 1%

I mean who knows? He might BS that he isn't having any problems as the playoffs near, just so he can give the team an option, but I doubt it.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:55 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

I'm no doctor, nor am I an expert... but it seems to me that it is more far reaching than just having vision problems with indoor lighting... Even if they came up with a special visor that corrected that problem enough for him to see 20/20, the problem really lies in the fact that he still has a system of PCS... If he still has a symptom I would fear that he still has the effects and playing with that could compound the effects with another hit.

Primeau at times still has symptoms... still feels certain effects... Maybe he will have to live with them for his life, or maybe even worse as it may effect him in more ways down the line -- just guessing here -- Lappy IMO should not chance taking away his chance for a normal life if there is any chance another hit will effect him going forward.

Lappy cannot play any way but all out... that is his game... that is his heart... I hope he doesn't do anything foolish, no matter how that would help the team. He's had a great career and he is loved by just about 100% of the fans of every team he has laced them up for... That is the greatest award a player can ask for, and one not many achieve.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 12:32 AM
phlocky

I've had 2 serious concussions and a number of lesser ones in my lifetime. The last major one I had it took me more than 3 years to get back to being "mostly" normal. For the last 20+ years I still get dizzy spells, some are slight, others I have to sit down because the room won't stop spinning for 30 seconds or more.

Nobody knows just how bad he is and honestly, HE probably doesn't even know. I know that when I was going through it I knew for certain when I WASN'T doing well but there was a lot of time where I THOUGHT I was ok but it wasn't until many years later when I really WAS symptom free that I realized just how bad it was. I guess the best way to put it is that feeling that way sort of becomes the norm from your perspective. I'd LOVE to have him come back even if it was just for one game in the SCF but for his sake, I hope he doesn't, it really isn't worth it. I just want him to get better, anything else would just be icing on the cake for him.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 01:24 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
> 1%

I mean who knows? He might BS that he isn't having any problems as the playoffs near, just so he can give the team an option, but I doubt it.
I could see him try for next year, but I doubt the Flyers would go anywhere near trying to bring him back this year.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 06:13 AM
Mosetter27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
This makes me sad. Very hypothetically, say **** gets real in the playoffs, we're in a certain something game that would get us a certain something. With the cap not being in effect is there anyway to dress Lappy, put him on the ice for five seconds, and maybe get his name on a certain something?

Edit: I know this would essentially put us down a man all game. I'm just curious.
he's on the team roster if they flyers win the cup his name goes on it..

Mosetter27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 07:42 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjd624 View Post
he's on the team roster if they flyers win the cup his name goes on it..
My understanding is that you need to either play a certain number of regular season games to qualify (if you are injured for the entirety of the playoffs) or dress for at least one game in the playoffs.

I don't think just being on the Roster counts towards getting your name engraved.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 07:53 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
My understanding is that you need to either play a certain number of regular season games to qualify (if you are injured for the entirety of the playoffs) or dress for at least one game in the playoffs.

I don't think just being on the Roster counts towards getting your name engraved.
Quote:
To have one's name engraved on the Stanley Cup certain requirements must be met. A player must have at least 41 games played with the club or one game played in the Stanley Cup Finals. However, in 1994 a stipulation was added to allow a team to petition the Commissioner for permission to have players' names put on the Cup if extenuating circumstances prevented them from being available to play.
I think that could apply.

Also, stop jinxing us.

Please, stay off the ice Lappy. As much as I love watching you, your long-term health is much more important than a game.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 07:54 AM
CptCannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post

Wasn't it dress for at least one game in the SCFs?

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 11:41 AM
FlyerGuy18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post
Wasn't it dress for at least one game in the SCFs?
The Cup winning team could petition the league to have names that don't meet the requirements engraved on.

FlyerGuy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 12:33 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I could see him try for next year, but I doubt the Flyers would go anywhere near trying to bring him back this year.
Yea, I was mostly referring to his chance of returning this year.

I really hope Lappy makes a comeback next year. Replacing Shelly with Lappy is such a huge gain it is unbelievable.

I mean who knows though. He sound like he feels perfectly fine,
with just the side effects of bright lights disorienting him.

Quote:
Ironically, if the Flyer played outdoors hed have no issues
There are two scenarios;
1- That damage may be because of how close the puck hit too his eye, and can be independent of any PCS.
2- This is still a lingering effect of PCS.

He and the doctors obviously know best, but it seems obvious that he can train hard, thus strenuous effort doesn't irritate his condition.

Quote:
Ian Laperriere, looking buff, says the only post-concussion symptom he continues to have is problems with indoor lighting

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 12:46 PM
jb**

If he comes back he will end up hanging out with Al Toon regularly.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 02:30 PM
i am dave

He has unfortunately played his last game of hockey, in all likelihood. Situations like these are why I feel the 35+ rule needs to be tweaked. Lappy didn't sign with the Flyers having had a history of taking a puck to the face.

I've said before, this isn't like Team X signing 35+ year old Player Y, who has a long history of knee problems only to have Player Y go down with a knee injury. There's no way this injury could have been foreseen, and there's no way the on-going symptoms are as a result of his age. An 18 year old is just as likely to have PCS from taking a puck to the eye than a 36 year old.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 03:01 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
He has unfortunately played his last game of hockey, in all likelihood. Situations like these are why I feel the 35+ rule needs to be tweaked. Lappy didn't sign with the Flyers having had a history of taking a puck to the face.

I've said before, this isn't like Team X signing 35+ year old Player Y, who has a long history of knee problems only to have Player Y go down with a knee injury. There's no way this injury could have been foreseen, and there's no way the on-going symptoms are as a result of his age. An 18 year old is just as likely to have PCS from taking a puck to the eye than a 36 year old.
Everyone knows that 60% of the time, players aged 35 and up are 200% more likely to take pucks to the face.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 09:11 PM
rban*

I've only had a very mild concussion once in my life. Know what was freaky?

Sleepy, tired ALL THE TIME !! Wake up in am, have breakfast ..shower.. stay awake 2 hours... then exhausted again !! Another 4 hours of sleep .... then walk to bank 2 blocks, and in another 2-4 hours .. SLEEPY and EXHAUSTED AGAIN .. more sleep!

Really frightened me, thought something was seriously wrong.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 06:23 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Everyone knows that 60% of the time, players aged 35 and up are 200% more likely to take pucks to the face.
Anyone can make up statistics. 62% of all people know that!

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 07:29 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

I know I had one for sure. I was kicked in the head in a fight and it was two weeks before I saw my family doctor. I had constant headaches and was fatigued. I truly believe that Lappy has played his last game as a pro. He has way to much at stake to lose should he attempt to come back. He has a beautiful family and he has security. But with his competitive nature he still may try to come back. Good Luck Lappy!

Hockeypete49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post

Well, you have LTIR to cover events like this. The 35+ rule is simply to protect against retirement deals (which obviously has been a problem even then). As far as PCS -- which is voodoo science to a certain extent -- age does matter as far as the cumulative effect of head trauma over years. So while an 18 y/o can get a bad concussion, we tend to see degrading recovery times as players get older and suffer further trauma.

I suspect Lappy is done, but wouldn't be shocked to see him try for it next year. Throughout this entire process it has sounded like he was thinking about doing that... and the reality is that he can mitigate the potential risk by not fighting. You aren't going to be able to completely cut out blows to the head, but he also doesn't carry the puck as much and/or cut through the middle, so it's a bit less of an issue than with a skill player.

Oh, and try to avoid taking one off the face obviously.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote