HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Blocked Shot - Hit Testicle

Old
02-11-2011, 04:06 AM
Parrish

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Parrish
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
I block shots all the time (no sliding pad stacks though) and it hurts sometimes but it's fun. It's a mild rush to step in front of a guy winding up and if you succeed it feels good. Now, blocking shots without a cup isn't the greatest idea but with a cup on there's no reason you shouldn't if you don't mind a stinger now and again.

Well I was talking about the original poster. He said he did not use a cup. If you have full equipment it is ok. I block shots sometimes, but there are also shots I am not getting in front of. There are a few players I wont get in front of. If I got payed or was in a junior league it would be different.

Reasons you shouldn't block shots without the proper equipment:

1. Can cause injury leading to expensive rehab.

2. Any injury is likely going to set yourself back both physically and financially.

3. Depending on your field of work you could miss time.

4. Your gf/wife is going to be pissed or you will hear about it in the future as a reason you should not play, or at very least that your dumbass should always wear protection.

5. If you do get hurt, (say you break a finger) it is going to suck. Imagine no video games. Even if you don't like games I am sure the injury will hamper you some how.

6. Chances are you have already been hurt playing before or will get hurt in the future. Why expand that chance by wearing your gear?

7. Full gear is still cheaper then doctor bills.

8. Spending money at the Peranis hockey world is much more fun then paying a doctor bill.

9. Your going to look like a complete fool when you get hit and go down so fast. What looked like a shot you would normally shake off hurt badly because you were to ignorant to wear protection.

10. The protective gear on the market today is great. There is really no reason not to wear it. It's light, durable, flexible, good at staying dry, comfortable, and cheap. If you can afford ice time you can afford good gear.

Last edited by Parrish: 02-11-2011 at 04:11 AM.
Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 04:09 AM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrish View Post
Reasons you shouldn't block shots without the proper equipment:
-snip-
Woosh. I implied if you HAVE full gear (including a cup) there's no reason to be afraid of blocking shots if you're up for it. You even quoted the one part that says this, haha.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 04:29 AM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Well, the verdict is in.. I got jerked around all day, and literally none of the visits were even necessary.. Though I did want an ultrasound for peace of mind that I did not rupture it..

I got my first ultrasound and at first they said that I should be fine and it was just a severe contusion.. Then I got home and got a call from the doctor saying "wait.. It IS a "fractured testicle" which means it is ruptured and if you want to keep your left testicle you need to go to ER IMMEDIATELY.."

Then, I get to the ER.. And they wanted to do their OWN ultrasound.. They did it, and found that it was indeed just a severe contusion.

My left nut is EXTREMELY swollen and it still hurts like hell.. But at least I didn't need surgery. I AM, out for six weeks and have to miss the remainder of my beer league playoffs.. : (

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 05:56 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
It's about intensity, it takes balls (no pun intended) to block shots, especially without a cup. It may not be the smartest thing to do, but it takes a lot of courage and he demonstrated that he is a team player with spirit, beer league or no.
It's not intensity, it's stupidity. Anyone that plays without a cup and still goes out and pulls a stunt like that gets no sympathy from me, and no admiration either. Just plain stupid.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 05:59 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
Well, the verdict is in.. I got jerked around all day, and literally none of the visits were even necessary.. Though I did want an ultrasound for peace of mind that I did not rupture it..

I got my first ultrasound and at first they said that I should be fine and it was just a severe contusion.. Then I got home and got a call from the doctor saying "wait.. It IS a "fractured testicle" which means it is ruptured and if you want to keep your left testicle you need to go to ER IMMEDIATELY.."

Then, I get to the ER.. And they wanted to do their OWN ultrasound.. They did it, and found that it was indeed just a severe contusion.

My left nut is EXTREMELY swollen and it still hurts like hell.. But at least I didn't need surgery. I AM, out for six weeks and have to miss the remainder of my beer league playoffs.. : (
So, did you learn anything from this?

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 07:32 AM
Torquenstein

Next time at least take the good old flip-flop...

Torquenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 07:49 AM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
It's not intensity, it's stupidity. Anyone that plays without a cup and still goes out and pulls a stunt like that gets no sympathy from me, and no admiration either. Just plain stupid.
It is stupidity. Nobody will deny that. I will never play without a cup ever again. Especially when I was pretty damn close to becoming Hockeys Lance Armstrong..

However, being 21 and aged out of Juniors, beer league is the only real hockey I have left, and I've come to be pretty close with the guys on my team.. We've been a team together for a long time now.. And its the playoffs and we all want to win..

Would I slide to block that shot if I could go back? Absolutely not. BUT it was a huge block shot that probably prevented a goal and I love the game and love to win so at the very least I can take that as a positive.

Old
02-11-2011, 08:15 AM
WickedWrister

Hey there, this is Doctor Jones. I'm gonna need some pictures of the problem area so I can fully diagnose what were dealing with.

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 08:16 AM
Cams

I would never play without a cup, ever, I don't care if I paid big bucks for a tournament or what. Block a shot in a beer league game - I probably would if the game was on the line, but I have been hit enough in the foot, hand, back of leg doing that whether intentionally or not.

I am not getting paid to play, and as someone else mentioned, the 14 or 15 other guys on my team who might care, it's not worth it to have to take time of work, go to the hospital, etc. Plus, I bet every guy on my team would say the same thing - it's not worth it, we all have jobs to go the next morning, some with wives and kids to go home to.

Cams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 08:55 AM
Torquenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWrister View Post

Hey there, this is Doctor Jones. I'm gonna need some pictures of the problem area so I can fully diagnose what were dealing with.
I wonder why this one took so long...

Torquenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 09:21 AM
shoeshine boy

Quote:

be sure to send the bill for the ER visit to the doctor who said that you needed to go "immediately".

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 09:33 AM
BPR*

How did you get out of bed?

BPR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:34 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
Tough break. Bet you won't forget your cup ever again.

As for the question: ask a doctor, not a forum.
Best advice and it's 3 posts in. If it's in pain, go to the doctor, especially that.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:56 AM
OkimLom

Battling in front of the net in a matter of 30 seconds: Scrum in front: Hit in groin with blade of stick, then hit in groin with puck(With cup on), then a slap shot that deflected off a stick and fractured my cheekbone...Lets just say I was wishing to be hit in the groin again. Also never knew you can lose so much blood. Best scar ever.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 11:46 AM
190Octane

I have a dumb assed friend who in roller only wears skates, gloves, shin guards, a helmet (no cage or visor) and occasionally elbow pads. For ice he'll put on pants and a cup.. makes no sense to me at all. Even though a roller puck is lighter, getting hit in the stones with it will still do major damage.

Ever since my first year of playing hockey and getting hit right below the nuts and getting a huge nasty multi-colored bruise on both legs on a day I forgot my cup, I've worn one ever since. I did forget it once or twice but I made sure my hand was on my balls half the game.

190Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 11:56 AM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

I've never worn a cup for soccer or football and never needed it, but you won't ever get me into a ring or onto the ice without one.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The one time I forgot my cup was a friendly skate and luckily a guy had an extra. One other time I forgot my jock so I taped the cup to my boxers Pretty sure any time someone wound up I'd get the hell out of the way and put a glove over the boys too.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 01:12 PM
Trojan35

This thread screams Darwin.

Trojan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 01:56 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
It is stupidity. Nobody will deny that. I will never play without a cup ever again. Especially when I was pretty damn close to becoming Hockeys Lance Armstrong..

However, being 21 and aged out of Juniors, beer league is the only real hockey I have left, and I've come to be pretty close with the guys on my team.. We've been a team together for a long time now.. And its the playoffs and we all want to win..

Would I slide to block that shot if I could go back? Absolutely not. BUT it was a huge block shot that probably prevented a goal and I love the game and love to win so at the very least I can take that as a positive.
Did you asky anybody on your team if they had an extra cup? Is there a hockey store where you play that was open but you just refused to buy a cup?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 02:47 PM
two out of three*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Did you asky anybody on your team if they had an extra cup? Is there a hockey store where you play that was open but you just refused to buy a cup?
One of my teammates gave me an extra cup they had.... After the game.

Old
02-11-2011, 02:52 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Blocking shots is about intensity, what he did was stupidity, that was my point.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 02:56 PM
MoxieBear*

Pics or it didn't happen

Please no pics, I'm only kidding!

MoxieBear* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 04:59 PM
coooldude

I was a goalie as a kid. One day at summer camp, I forgot my cup (still don't know how). 11 years old. Figured I never get hit there, not likely to happen today.

First 10 minutes, guy with the hardest shot wrists one right in my junk. I dropped down and was down for 10 minutes.

I immediately went and bought a cup. Needless to say I never forgot a cup again and I'll never step on the ice without one now. I made a stupid kid call and I learned my lesson.

coooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 05:48 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan35 View Post
This thread screams Darwin.
LMAO! killed me

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 10:50 PM
Pedagogue

O.K. you must love hockey so much that you would jump on the ice without a jock! Are you ****ing nuts -- no pun intended

Pedagogue is offline   Reply With Quote