HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[OTT/NAS] Mike Fisher for NAS 2011 1st, Conditional 2012 Pick

Old
02-10-2011, 09:56 PM
Caje

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitlick View Post

I don't think you want Murray as your model for the "pro" GM. This move was necessary and got good value, but it doesn't excuse his awful FA signings, poor coach hirings, pretty much everything except for drafting which he is very good at. The Sens spend a lot of money on scouting and they have drafted well the last 3 years (if you include Rundblad as our pick last year), so I have faith they can get at least a 2nd liner from the pick (15-20).
Can you really fault Murray for overpaying on some FAs? It's not as if people are clammering to play in Ottawa. Gonchar's contract was reasonable and a lot of people liked it at the time. Melnyk probably had a lot to do with the Kovalev signing.

Caje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 09:56 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
Others have dealt with Gardiner far better than I could so I leave that to them.

The reason why I like Murray's acquisition is that it allows him to work with his scouting and development people to choose the best player for the team. It's probably going to be a 20th pick or something like that but it's better than sitting around waiting for wherever the Leafs are going to pick in the 2nd round.
Burke drafted Gardiner. With the upcoming departure of Tomas Kaberle he is exactly what we need (offensive PMD).

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 09:57 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Rumor is a trade that is "significant."

Please don't be Fisher, please don't be Fisher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds9 View Post
please don't be fisher. Please Please Please don't be fisher....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goc Ya View Post
Dont want fisher at allllllll
These are great.

Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:20 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Burke drafted Gardiner. With the upcoming departure of Tomas Kaberle he is exactly what we need (offensive PMD).
Pretty Mediocre Defenseman? You want more of those?

In all seriousness, just because Burke's getting the band back together doesn't mean it's going to work this time around.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:20 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
A 2nd/3rd better than Gardiner? I don't think he's an 8.0C but he has 10x the chance of playing in the NHL than a 2nd/3rd round pick would.

He got a great return for Beauchemin.
Gardner has a terrible hockey sense. All skating, no head.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:31 PM
Lehner

So what is the deal?

Sens Site says:
Ottawa Senators general manager Bryan Murray announced today the club has acquired a first-round draft pick in the 2011 entry draft and a third-round draft pick in 2012 from the Nashville Predators in exchange for forward Mike Fisher. The selection in 2012 can move up to a second-round pick.

TSN says:
The Senators will receive Nashville's third rounder if the Preds win one playoff round. That pick would then turn into a second-round pick in 2012 if the team wins two or more rounds.

Which is correct?

Lehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:56 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stump View Post
I can't believe it, I really cant. The City of La Vergne ran out of salt?
For the roads. We don't really keep large quantities of salt for roads around here, especially not in La Vergne. That place is pretty small with only a few major roads

And yes The Tennessean sucks at reporting the news. Hockey reporting is typically even worse if it isn't the typical beat writer. I forgot the new guy's name because I stopped reading that Gannett trash a while ago.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 11:10 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHMan View Post
The only problem with Fisher isn't necessarily the production but rather the way he plays.

He plays a really simple game that's pretty much all about skating and shooting. He doesn't have a whole lot of Offensive Hockey sense, or the ability to make other players around him better. If you want decent production out of him, it generally involves pairing him with someone with a whole lot more creativity and the ability to make plays out of nothing. Otherwise all you get is Mike Fisher busting through the zone and firing a puck into the goalie's chest.

Don't get me wrong, what he does, he does well. At the same time though, he has some holes in his game, and the combination of his role, salary, and what he brings to the team presents a bit of a problem in itself.
Players who simplify their game in the offensive zone tend to do better producing points in our system. I don't see that being a major issue. As for linemates we could put him between SK and Wilson/Hornqvist. When we get Svatos back that will be another option. Sullivan and Dumont can both still set up some decent plays. We have a team full of passers so surely we can find a way to get creativity on his line

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 11:15 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Wow, I'm stupid. I just realized Carrie Underwood is actually Carrie Fisher. Someone photoshop her in a princess Leia outfit!

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 11:17 PM
4thliner*

Fisher can be a great player for a playoff team. His value is a lot higher there. Also he is a shutdown type center and can go up against the Datsyuk's, Toews, Sedins etc. Heart, grit, speed, physicality and 20-25 goals. What is there not to like.

Sens can only hope the player they pick 20th overall can one day be as good as Fisher. He was 2nd ropund pick himself some 12 years ago.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 11:25 PM

It's going to be odd watching Toronto-Ottawa games without Fisher. He was the player on the Sens I respected the most.

080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 03:12 AM
TheNudge

Send a message via MSN to TheNudge
happy for Nashville. I believe they finally have a chance to get pass the 1st round for once. What a great deal for nashville. I still like for ottawa since there rebuilding. I just hope that they trade Philip and Kovalev!!!

TheNudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 03:36 AM
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
People tend to value picks a lot here on HFBoards but it's a late rounder in a weak draft, still good for the Sens and all in all a fair deal considering Fishers contract.

02-11-2011, 04:12 AM
David71

good deal for nashville. ottawa full rebuild mode now. FIRESALE HAS BEGUN in the nation's captial!

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 06:27 AM
Howe Elbows 9

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehner View Post
So what is the deal?

Sens Site says:
Ottawa Senators general manager Bryan Murray announced today the club has acquired a first-round draft pick in the 2011 entry draft and a third-round draft pick in 2012 from the Nashville Predators in exchange for forward Mike Fisher. The selection in 2012 can move up to a second-round pick.

TSN says:
The Senators will receive Nashville's third rounder if the Preds win one playoff round. That pick would then turn into a second-round pick in 2012 if the team wins two or more rounds.

Which is correct?
TSN is correct.

http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=552260

Quote:
Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile announced today that the club has acquired center Mike Fisher from the Ottawa Senators in exchange for Nashville’s first-round pick in the 2011 Entry Draft and a conditional pick in the 2012 Draft. The conditional pick is Nashville’s third-round selection if the Predators win one round in the 2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs, and turns into a second-rounder in 2012 if the team wins two-or-more rounds.

Howe Elbows 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 06:46 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Good trade for both teams.

Nashville gets a good top 6 center that can contribute offensively, can play both the PP and PK, is a good faceoff-man, and is also a character guy, a guy who plays with some grit, a guy that has playoff experience, and a guy who is a leader. Fisher was a fan favorite in Ottawa for many years and did a lot of community service there too. He'll bring a lot to the Predators.

Ottawa starts to rebuild and gets a 1st and a conditional. A step in the right direction for them for sure, even though losing Fisher is hard. Now I really believe it's only a matter of time before Phillips, Kovalev, Ruutu, etc. are traded.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but classy of Murray to make sure Fisher was traded to a place where he'd be comfortable. Nashville is the perfect place for him and Carrie to live together and raise a family seeing as they won't have to travel back and forth between there and Ottawa anymore.

Well, the rebuild is officially underway in Ottawa and now that Fisher is out of our division, I'm a little bit happier. Now I can have respect for him. The Predators just got a great player.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 07:11 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
This is a horrible trade for Nashville.

Fisher's not a good move beyond this season. If he had an expiring contract, I'd be ok with it due to the injury issues.

As it is, two of Matthew Lombardi, Cal O'Reilly and Marcel Goc will not be on the roster next season as Nashville won't have a center position open.

Just a horrible trade.
I'm way late on this deal but I think this is way over the top off the mark.

O'Reilly had a ton to prove yet as an NHL player. And now he's got an exploded leg that needs to heal. Yes, he may be at full strength by next year, but you don't know. He's going to have to earn it. Lombardi unfortunately may have a soft head now after one too many bad concussions, nobody knows for sure. He isn't skating after a hit taken four months and 50 games ago.

So yeah, some guys may not be on the Preds roster, but they may not have been anyway, due to these injuries and for O'Reilly, missing out on development time. If Goc is one that goes, that isn't good, but maybe Poile had decided he may not match what some others may bid. But there's certainly room for Goc without much trouble.

Poile added a guy who will cost 4m, and 3m, the next two years which seems ok. And got something we lacked. None of our other centers bring the physical edge of Fisher. Certainly not now when they aren't even playing. We got some speed back that we lost when Lombardi was hurt. I like our forwards a lot more now than jsut a few days ago. We should have three lines going well again now. I really like the Predators make up. We're a good team and could win in the playoffs. I'm glad the move was made now because they have to make the playoffs first, with the best seed possible.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 07:17 AM
Bullrun

Nashville overpaid here

I don't see how fisher is worth a 1st and possible 2nd/3rd...but if you need a center you have to get creative I guess

Bullrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 07:22 AM
MotorMaster

I don't think Nashville over payed, it's a weak NHL draft this year and Nashville could easily finish 8th+ overall, Especially with Fisher in the line up now. Who does Ottawa expect to get that far up in this years draft?

Last edited by MotorMaster: 02-11-2011 at 07:29 AM.
MotorMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 07:36 AM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorMaster View Post
I don't think Nashville over payed, it's a weak NHL draft this year and Nashville could easily finish 8th+ overall, Especially with Fisher in the line up now. Who does Ottawa expect to get that far up in this years draft?
Where do people get the idea that it's a weak draft? I'm not going to argue one way or another but if people want to come out and say it's weak, at least reference a reason why it would be that way... Just because there is no Crosby or Ovechkin, it doesn't mean it's a weak draft, it could just as easily mean it's a very deep draft with players 5-20 all pretty close to the same level. 2003 is a good example of people saying it's a "weak draft" because there is no clear cut number 1 pick.

Again, I'm not saying it's a weak or a deep draft as I really don't know how these players will pan out (amazing some people do though), but to make a statement like it's a fact is wrong.

PS I respect your avatar.

Billy Madison* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 07:46 AM
yukoner88

vCash: 350
Let the rebuild begin!

yukoner88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 07:56 AM
MotorMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Madison View Post
Where do people get the idea that it's a weak draft? I'm not going to argue one way or another but if people want to come out and say it's weak, at least reference a reason why it would be that way... Just because there is no Crosby or Ovechkin, it doesn't mean it's a weak draft, it could just as easily mean it's a very deep draft with players 5-20 all pretty close to the same level. 2003 is a good example of people saying it's a "weak draft" because there is no clear cut number 1 pick.

Again, I'm not saying it's a weak or a deep draft as I really don't know how these players will pan out (amazing some people do though), but to make a statement like it's a fact is wrong.

PS I respect your avatar.

I guess its a matter of opinion as no one knows how these guys will pan out but to say Nashville overpaid for a late (probably) 1st rounder is a bit of a stretch There is a chance the player Ottawa selects may never play in the NHL, they would be lucky to get another Mike Fisher. Time will tell I guess though.

haha and I respect your Avatar by honoring Prowl's memory.

Last edited by MotorMaster: 02-11-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old
02-11-2011, 08:07 AM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorMaster View Post
I guess its a matter of opinion as no one knows how these guys will pan out but to say Nashville overpaid for a late (probably) 1st rounder is a bit of a stretch, Ottawa would be luck to get another Mike Fisher. Time will tell I guess.

lol I to respect your Avatar by honoring Prowl's memory.
He really got ****ed up on the ship.

Billy Madison* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 08:25 AM
MotorMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Madison View Post
He really got ****ed up on the ship.
Yeah, the movie was awesome.

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Old
02-11-2011, 08:31 AM
wjhl2009fan

Hale The Villain
The leafs got a good return i would not say great the only thing of value they really got was gardner the question even with him is his hockey sense.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote