HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

ECHL Divisions: 2011-12 (and some Wheeling discussion)

Old
12-30-2010, 04:04 PM
Professor Pickles

vCash: 500
ECHL Divisions: 2011-12 (and some Wheeling discussion)

So with the news of Chicago joining, has there been any releases about division realignment? Surely they will not be playing in the West, so it makes geographic sense to put them w/ Kalamazoo, Toledo, and Cincinnati.

The only problem is that now Wheeling goes to the division w/ Elmira, Trenton, and Reading. Here's the distances.

Wheeling to Elimira: 6.5 hrs
Reading: 5.5 hrs
Trenton: 6.5 hrs

As opposed to...

Toledo: 4 hrs 15 mins
Kalamazoo: 6 hrs 45 mins
Cincinnati: 3 hrs 45 mins

Not a HUGE difference, but certainly a difference.

Wheeling seems like they are in a pretty good position, franchise wise. They have 2 NHL affiliations, are affiliated w/ a stable AHL club, and they just signed an affiliation w/ the New York Aviators. I'm no expert on the Nailers organization, but the consensus seems to be that they are on good footing w/ the Penguins organization.

They also played 10 home games this year in Johnstown to, to incredibly dismal attendance in the worst arena I have ever been in. The War Memorial certainly has history, but they also have an arena committe/owner who is beyond clueless.

Is Wheeling expected to move? I know there were rumors that they were considering the move to Johnstown to be a full-time deal. I guess my question is, could they move to Johnstown despite horrific attendance and a horrific venue and still exist as a profitable business b/c of the Pens affiliation?

Professor Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 07:48 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

There may be discussions and even (unofficial) agreement.

Will be discussed @ BOG meetings at ASG later in January.

I'd expect announcement on the day of the game.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2010, 09:04 PM
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
I would like to Keep Wheeling around but it seems like so much talk about them moving.

Johnny8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2011, 02:49 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Pickles View Post
So with the news of Chicago joining, has there been any releases about division realignment? Surely they will not be playing in the West, so it makes geographic sense to put them w/ Kalamazoo, Toledo, and Cincinnati.

The only problem is that now Wheeling goes to the division w/ Elmira, Trenton, and Reading. Here's the distances.

Wheeling to Elimira: 6.5 hrs
Reading: 5.5 hrs
Trenton: 6.5 hrs

As opposed to...

Toledo: 4 hrs 15 mins
Kalamazoo: 6 hrs 45 mins
Cincinnati: 3 hrs 45 mins

Not a HUGE difference, but certainly a difference.

Wheeling seems like they are in a pretty good position, franchise wise. They have 2 NHL affiliations, are affiliated w/ a stable AHL club, and they just signed an affiliation w/ the New York Aviators. I'm no expert on the Nailers organization, but the consensus seems to be that they are on good footing w/ the Penguins organization.

They also played 10 home games this year in Johnstown to, to incredibly dismal attendance in the worst arena I have ever been in. The War Memorial certainly has history, but they also have an arena committe/owner who is beyond clueless.

Is Wheeling expected to move? I know there were rumors that they were considering the move to Johnstown to be a full-time deal. I guess my question is, could they move to Johnstown despite horrific attendance and a horrific venue and still exist as a profitable business b/c of the Pens affiliation?
I haven't heard anything about a potential fulltime move to Johnstown. I think that would be very questionable at best to do. The experiment of 10 games in JTown really hasn't drawn much interest.

Wheeling has been rumored to move quite often, it's just now attendance is finally at an all time low point. I wouldn't be shocked if they folded or relocated at seasons end, in some circles they aren't expected back. To some it's a shock. They ran an article at last seasons end where the owner claimed if they didn't do the JTow expwriment the Nailers would be dead now. Some Nailers fans want you to think it's charity for the JTown fans, I just don't see it.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2011, 06:52 PM
royals119

If they stay in Wheeling I'd expect the Nailers would move to the Atlantic division, but play a very unbalanced schedule, where they face Toledo and Cincy as often, or more often, than Reading, Elmira and Trenton. It has happened several times before in the ECHL, even in Wheeling.

royals119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 01:40 PM
lewytown

how about a move to Lewiston Maine? We have a QMJHL team here now, but they may be moving...would make a nice ECHL rink

lewytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 02:59 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewytown View Post
how about a move to Lewiston Maine? We have a QMJHL team here now, but they may be moving...would make a nice ECHL rink
That would be rough on travel since the closest rivals would be in Trenton, Reading and Elmira.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2011, 06:22 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewytown View Post
NOT LIKELY, and it doesn't appear that they're leaving for another league like the E TO COME IN, THE SAME FACTORS that caused the MAINEiacs to struggle are affecting all leagues.......

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2011, 09:18 AM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalsfan1 View Post
I haven't heard anything about a potential fulltime move to Johnstown. I think that would be very questionable at best to do. The experiment of 10 games in JTown really hasn't drawn much interest.

Wheeling has been rumored to move quite often, it's just now attendance is finally at an all time low point. I wouldn't be shocked if they folded or relocated at seasons end, in some circles they aren't expected back. To some it's a shock. They ran an article at last seasons end where the owner claimed if they didn't do the JTow expwriment the Nailers would be dead now. Some Nailers fans want you to think it's charity for the JTown fans, I just don't see it.
In defense of us Wheeling Nailers of Johnstown fans, there is very minimal advertising here for the team. No billboards, hardly any mention on the news as far as recaps go, etc. I'd be willing to bet that most of the people in this town don't know there's an ECHL team here part of the season.

Of those who do, I think a lot of people here still have the mentality of either "ewww, it's Wheeling, that's still a rival team" (despite no longer having a team that is...err, was Wheeling's rival), while others have the opinion of "this is not our team". Would it change if there was a permanent team here? Honestly I think crowds of 2600-3000 would be the norm if the prices were lowered to what is being charged in Wheeling. If I remember correctly, Johnstown was charging $14-16 while Wheeling was charging $11-16 with bigger discounts being given to students and veterans. Even with 3000 in the War Memorial, is that going to be enough to support a team in today's ECHL?

Last edited by iamjs: 02-14-2011 at 07:30 AM.
iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 08:37 AM
Professor Pickles

War Memorial needs some serious, serious renovation, first and foremost.

There's no one in J-town who has the money and inititive to build a competitive team. The team that called themselves the Chiefs last season was unquestionably the worst ECHL team I have personally ever seen.

Professor Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote