HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Preds acquire Fisher

Old
02-10-2011, 10:07 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I think something that has been mentioned in a roundabout way but not really tied in yet is that Fisher is a heart and soul guy. He brings it every night. One thing the Preds lack is that sort of consistency on a nightly basis. Bringing in another solid team guy that plays hard can only help with the consistency issues this team faces on a weekly basis. I'm looking forward to seeing what Fisher can bring to our team.

SLake, I knew what you were going to post before I even read it. I knew you'd bring up the point about our scoring with certain guys in and out of our lineup. Thanks for not letting me down.

Whether or not we add anything else, I'm pretty happy with the balance we now currently have. Regardless if Bouillon comes back or not, Sulzer has done fine replacing him. O'Brien and Klein work well on the PK and obviously Suter and Weber do too. The only reason we add another defenseman is if Bouillon is out for the playoffs and then we need a veteran permascratch in case of injury.
you really can never have too much D. we really dont want to be in a situation where if one guy goes down we will be calling up Blum to play in the playoffs. It would be different if we still had a guy like Henry in milwaukee but since we dont I suspect we trade for a third pair kinda guy a la Hnidy/Bombradir.

and Im doing great, hope you all is well with you too

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:07 PM
roseyc

vCash: 500
I like this trade a lot. Not only does it say that we are trying to win but it says that the budget is bigger than everyone thinks it is. We are still wise. Everyone is worried about next year ....don't! Let next year take care of itself. Weber and Suter are going to Predators for a long time. Fisher is playoff tested. He will bring that part to a mostly inexperienced team. I think we will add another defenseman like Vandermeer and possibly a another winger. Ward won't be traded and Spaling won't be sent down. Dumont is not going anywhere and neither is Legwand because of their contracts. Too much worry about the budget around here. We are passed that. We aren't stupid by no means. I sure Poile will find a way to get that 1st round pick back like he always does. Lombardi is not going to play this year and I don't expect much from O'Reilly either. So this is our chance with Sk having a breakout season and Erat finally getting healthy I think this team is going to break through this year and when they do I can see this team going to play in the conference finals. Whether we win I won't go there just yet but I like this team and their chances and with Fisher it's a whole lot better. Stats doesn't show everything

Last edited by roseyc: 02-10-2011 at 10:10 PM. Reason: missing words
roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 10:17 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
So if they can't win a Cup with all the talent they have, what chance have we got at one?
Notice how talented teams are hardly scoring on us let alone the league. We are a solid complete team IMO from goalie all the way to our forwards. Hence we could use a offensive winger, we may or may not pick one up. Also Im not saying this is our cup year or anything but Id say this year we make a splash in the playoffs. So i think we could steal a couple series. Do you think we are a better team this year or last?

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 11:21 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
does your opinion change at all if he's a 3.5M center (which is what he is to nashville, ottawa paid the frontloaded years and signing bonuses).
I was looking at cap hit.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 11:34 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Seth, while I agree with your assessment of the trade itself, I disagree that Poile's not done. He sounded pretty adamant on 104.5 that this was it, aside from a depth move or two if the opportunity presented itself. He made it pretty clear that he likes our roster now, and I don't think we could afford to take on anymore money without somehow unloading Dumont.
To be clear, I believe if we pickup a defenseman it'll be of the veteran depth variety. As for a forward, I believe Poile will kick the tires, but it'll be difficult to add without subtracting from the current roster. Svatos coming back soon should provide some additional offensive depth on the wing, but I wouldn't be surprised again if a vet depth guy wasn't acquired.

Poile is not going to pull the move on anyone major at this point unless he gets an offer he can't refuse. Fisher was his No. 1 target and he got him...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 11:55 PM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I'm happy!!

I love that this is the top story everywhere. Willy said on 104 this afternoon that it was the top story on People.com, lol.

Let's Go Preds!!!!

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 11:58 PM
dulzhok

Undecided on this one...

I think Fisher makes us a better team. But, we paid a high price for someone who's an 'offesnive tweener'-- someone who can't be counted on consistently to produce offense.

But he brings something our other tweeners don't have-- a tenacity about him.

Taking on his contract is surprising. Not only the 4.2m cap hit, but it will also likely mean losing several million in revenue sharing next year. So, the net impact of his contract could be 6m+.

I'd feel better off about it if we could dump one of our other overpriced contracts.

To me, this is David Poile (and ownership) trying get us to the next level.

We shall see, we shall see.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 12:04 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Undecided on this one...

I think Fisher makes us a better team. But, we paid a high price for someone who's an 'offesnive tweener'-- someone who can't be counted on consistently to produce offense.

But he brings something our other tweeners don't have-- a tenacity about him.

Taking on his contract is surprising. Not only the 4.2m cap hit, but it will also likely mean losing several million in revenue sharing next year. So, the net impact of his contract could be 6m+.

I'd feel better off about it if we could dump one of our other overpriced contracts.

To me, this is David Poile (and ownership) trying get us to the next level.

We shall see, we shall see.
how is it going to cost us full revenue sharing?

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 12:21 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
how is it going to cost us full revenue sharing?
I didn't say it would cost full revenue sharing. If that's the case, he'd be costing us an extra 5m+

It will likely put is over the mid-point next year, which means we won't get full revenue sharing. Someone else can chime in with what it will costs us in lost revenue sharing. But they will be estimates at this point, because no one knows what the revenue sharing numbers will be.

I'm not against going over the midpoint. But, for us, going over the midpoint means we almost HAVE to win the first round (at the least).

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 01:24 AM
Soundwave

I kinda wonder if Nashville ownership was a bit more sold on taking on basically pure salary because Carrie Underwood is so well known and having her at a lot of the games will be a nice marketing boon for the franchise, maybe giving a little more sense of "prestige" to being at a Predators game for casual/non-hockey fans. Build a buzz around the team, get some people to come to games that maybe would be on the fence otherwise.

Obviously that would have to be a secondary reason as Fisher is a good player and the whole thing is moot if the team isn't good to begin with. But it was probably is something the marketing department probably likes and that's good for the business side, it wouldn't shock me if the ownership at least kinda ran that through their minds too.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 04:33 AM
OpenWheel

So Fisher is 4m, 4m, 3m, in salary (not cap hit) for this year and the next two. That's not bad. Considering Erat is 5.25 and 6 and 5.5 and Legwand is 4.5 each.

I disagree about needing a higher end sniper. Of course we'd love one, but you can't get those guys. Some of the scorers mentioned don't score more goals than Fisher. I think what we needed is some of the speed we lost when Lombardi went down. Fisher gives that. He will add a lot of veteran presence and ability. I just hope he's healthy. If so, I like the trade. Price seems fair since it doesn't add the extra pick unless we win.

We can't put big money into some hoped for scoring savior, we just need to be better. If Weber and Suter are our future playoff stars, they will need to live up to it. It's not like we lost to Chicago by shutting their scoring down. I noticed our top defenders were on the ice in game five in Chicago when they scored tie it up and Chicago scored a fair number of goals in game six in Nashville. I think this year will be different and our defense is better and we're better up front now as well.

I like it. I doubt Poile makes any other moves. This is a very good team. If they don't get it done, oh well, there's always next year.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 02-11-2011 at 05:46 AM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 08:21 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I kinda wonder if Nashville ownership was a bit more sold on taking on basically pure salary because Carrie Underwood is so well known and having her at a lot of the games will be a nice marketing boon for the franchise, maybe giving a little more sense of "prestige" to being at a Predators game for casual/non-hockey fans. Build a buzz around the team, get some people to come to games that maybe would be on the fence otherwise.

Obviously that would have to be a secondary reason as Fisher is a good player and the whole thing is moot if the team isn't good to begin with. But it was probably is something the marketing department probably likes and that's good for the business side, it wouldn't shock me if the ownership at least kinda ran that through their minds too.
Does anyone really believe that we have a bunch of people sitting around all of a sudden getting up to get tickets because a country star's husband plays hockey?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 08:34 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Does anyone really believe that we have a bunch of people sitting around all of a sudden getting up to get tickets because a country star's husband plays hockey?
Yes, actually. In fact, I'm pretty sure of it.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 08:36 AM
predfan98

Quote:
or believe that marketing is going to be able to utilitze carrie underwood as a marketing tool? she's not going to let that happen and i can't believe that anyone in marketing ever even asks her or is thinking about it.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 08:45 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
or believe that marketing is going to be able to utilitze carrie underwood as a marketing tool? she's not going to let that happen and i can't believe that anyone in marketing ever even asks her or is thinking about it.
If they thought it was the right thing, of course they ask her. They'd have to pay her just as they would anyone else, but why wouldn't they ask? Doesn't she do endorsements or something? Other country stars have done marketing for the team, why is she untouchable?

However, I doubt anything except who they could get that would improve the team was on the Preds mind. Extra butts in the seat are just a small bonus, I find it hard to believe they expect big dividends from anything except winning. But of course they know he's a popular character guy. For Ottawa it mattered who the trade was to, as they wouldn't send a guy like Fisher to any old place.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 09:06 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Seriously, are you new to Nashville? Not only do I think that will happen, I'd bet dollars to donuts it will happen. How much, I have no idea but it will happen.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 09:31 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Still listening to Ottawa Radio. They are gleeful that they got a 1st for Fisher. And they are talking about trying to poach Weber. BUT, Nashville has the cash for Fisher, Weber, Rinne, all the pay raises, SK.

IF, they are willing to part with Goc, Ward, and O'Brien.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 09:34 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Guys, I'm an usher at Scotiabank Place here in Ottawa, and I can tell you that on nights Carrie was in the building watching Mike play, there was always a TON of people trying to get autographs, pictures, it was actually a huge pain in the ass as an usher sometimes.... it was a big deal, there was always a buzz when she was here, and we're not even a big country music town.

To think that NASHVILLE can't capitalize on Carrie Fisher () is... well, it's ridiculous.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 09:53 AM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post
Guys, I'm an usher at Scotiabank Place here in Ottawa, and I can tell you that on nights Carrie was in the building watching Mike play, there was always a TON of people trying to get autographs, pictures, it was actually a huge pain in the ass as an usher sometimes.... it was a big deal, there was always a buzz when she was here, and we're not even a big country music town.

To think that NASHVILLE can't capitalize on Carrie Fisher () is... well, it's ridiculous.
of course we can capitalize........but we won't.

this is why people (stars) like nashville............this isn't gonna happen a lot, imo.

she'll probably stay on the suite level anyway for a while, anyway. (that is where a lot of players wives stay with their kids usually............)

examples.........vince gill and scott hamilton sit within a stones throw from me in the lower bowl... people don't bother them, they are given privacy, they are rarely shown on camera.
alice cooper came down and sat with vince for a while and people left him alone.

i can see her doing something for the preds (commercial or something)...... but they are going to respect her privacy...... and her husbands. imo, this is her husbands job.......and she will keep her distance to some degree...she's in the category of a "players wife"....first.

Last edited by predfan98: 02-11-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old
02-11-2011, 09:57 AM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Seriously, are you new to Nashville? Not only do I think that will happen, I'd bet dollars to donuts it will happen. How much, I have no idea but it will happen.
I'm not new to nashville, but if someone told me I might catch a glimpse of , well, Garth Brooks (or michael jordan or whoever) but I had to go watch some sport for 2 hours that I didn't care about............to maybe catch a glimpse of someone.........well, I'd rather go home and wash my hair....

Old
02-11-2011, 10:03 AM
token grinder

I wnder if we can get Taylor Swift to marry Stamkos....

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:05 AM
PredsChik

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I wnder if we can get Taylor Swift to marry Stamkos....
a million times this.

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:11 AM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsChik20 View Post
a million times this.
stamkos.........well , we can't afford him and suter.....let's do it,

Old
02-11-2011, 11:22 AM
swiftwin
#lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
Its not just: "UNDERWOOD! FISHER UNDERWOOD FISHER! PREDATORS!!!!"

Fisher was HUGE in the community, always making appearances for charities, etc. etc. etc. Now if Fisher+Underwood do it together, it brings alot of attention to both of them from non-hockey fans, and to "Carrie's husband", which will make people atleast glance at the Preds, and pique their interest.

Oh yea, and incase you havent heard the Elgin Fraser story yet:
http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...80a80a&k=13288

Last edited by swiftwin: 02-11-2011 at 11:28 AM.
swiftwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 11:30 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensjersey11 View Post

She's been here a bunch, she usually sits in a suite. In fact she sat in the suite next to one I was in one night.

Country music stars really don't get hounded too much at events here. Taylor Swift and Kelly Pickler have been seen at a ton of games together, Vince Gill is a season ticket holder, Barbara Mandrel has been to many, the Judds, Tim and Faith, etc. That's why stars like Nashville, they can walk in public without being constantly harassed.

I just wonder if Carry and Mike can now take the top spot as Nashville's celeb-couple? Brad paisley and Nicole Kidman, who essentially took it from Tim and Faith...

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote