HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Minor Issue, but annoying...

Old
02-11-2011, 10:02 AM
El Emperor

vCash: 500
Minor Issue, but annoying...

Does anyone else find it completely annoying that the Flyers are the last team left in the NHL without a shutout this season?

While I do like how they can get through close games, it is really annoying to get through most of a game, run into a brainfart on defensely... leading to a goal that for the most part, the goalie shouldn't have had to face at all if they were being smart out there.

Ruutu's goal last night just annoyed me... minor thought b/c we did win the game, but I feel bad that Boosh and Bob have very good stats this year, but neither has one shutout as of yet... meanwhile, mutliple journeyman goalies throughout the league have at least one shutout for this season.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:13 AM
phantomphan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan333 View Post
Does anyone else find it completely annoying that the Flyers are the last team left in the NHL without a shutout this season?
no..

phantomphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:15 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

I'm finding it kind of humorous, to be honest. A little frustrating perhaps, but a shutout win doesn't get you more points than a regulation win. I'm much happier looking at the standings sorted by points rather than shutouts.

Last edited by CharlieGirl: 02-11-2011 at 10:33 AM.
CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:16 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan333 View Post

While I do like how they can get through close games, it is really annoying to get through most of a game, run into a brainfart on defensely... leading to a goal that for the most part, the goalie shouldn't have had to face at all if they were being smart out there.

Ruutu's goal last night just annoyed me... minor thought b/c we did win the game, but I feel bad that Boosh and Bob have very good stats this year, but neither has one shutout as of yet... meanwhile, mutliple journeyman goalies throughout the league have at least one shutout for this season.
The goal last night had a lot of people in front which can throw a goalie off a bit.

As for no shutouts, I'm fine with it. The team is arguably the best team in the league, and wouldn't be here without the offense and defense. If we try to go for a better goalie, we spend more money on said goalie, and some players from that offense and defense go away. Right now the defense is a deep in spots 1-6 and help make Boosh and Bob look like awesome goaltenders. I'm fine with it so far.

In fact, considering there are zero shutouts, and the Flyers are arguably the best team in the league, that says a hell of a lot about the offense.

I'd find it annoying if this team was fighting for a lower seed playoff spot, but they're not, so I have no problem with it so long as they keep winning.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:20 AM
MrHockey1982

I find it to be a good thing. It will keep the team working harder since we have yet to have a "perfect game."

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:21 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

I think it's funny actually.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:27 AM
El Emperor

LOL... I guess I'm just being picky. Like I said, minor issue.

However, I will say that when Ruutu did score that goal, nowhere in my mind did I think we would lose that game. I do like how someone said above that it keeps the Flyers away from being "perfect."

Old
02-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Mgkibbles

I really couldn't care less. I might be a bit frustrated if I had Bob or Boosh in a fantasy league, but as a Flyers fan it really doesn't matter - still would like to see Bob get his first though.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:34 AM
clockwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
I really couldn't care less. I might be a bit frustrated if I had Bob or Boosh in a fantasy league, but as a Flyers fan it really doesn't matter - still would like to see Bob get his first though.
I have both.

Gives them something to work for. There isn't much left to achieve in the regular season.

clockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:35 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Obviously we are saving our shutouts for the playoffs.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:36 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
DONE! Close out the thread, best response ever!

Old
02-11-2011, 10:45 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Last time I checked, if the number next to your team's name is higher than the number next to the other team's name, then you win.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 11:09 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

I was annoyed in November, but at this point it's funny.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 11:10 AM
BrindamoursNose

Whatever gets us a W.

BrindamoursNose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 11:32 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Meh. As long as they are winning who cares how many goals they let up. 10-9 victories are worth the same amount of points as 10-0 victories.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 11:36 AM
McNasty

I'm not concerned because it's not like they haven't had great defensive games. I mean they have Chicago completely confused, and then Hossa gets a penalty shot.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 11:44 AM
captainpaxil

its not so much that theyre not getting shutouts im just irked at why were not getting them. ive sorta become accustomed to the weak goal that goes in but thats not whats happening. its like we become hypnotized by our own defensive awesomeness and let up on the other team. its frustrating because id like to see boosh/bob come up with a big save at that point and its just not happening.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 12:17 PM
decadentia

I'd be more worried if we had a goal differential similar to Tampa's.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 01:09 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
The goal last night had a lot of people in front which can throw a goalie off a bit.

As for no shutouts, I'm fine with it. The team is arguably the best team in the league, and wouldn't be here without the offense and defense. If we try to go for a better goalie, we spend more money on said goalie, and some players from that offense and defense go away. Right now the defense is a deep in spots 1-6 and help make Boosh and Bob look like awesome goaltenders. I'm fine with it so far.

In fact, considering there are zero shutouts, and the Flyers are arguably the best team in the league, that says a hell of a lot about the offense.

I'd find it annoying if this team was fighting for a lower seed playoff spot, but they're not, so I have no problem with it so long as they keep winning.
I don't think there is any real annoyance with the goaltenders themselves. I think everyone knows that both Bob and Boosh have been beyond solid, and no shut-outs isn't reflective of poor play.

And while it's not an indictment or anything to worry about, yeah, it's annoying. As a goalie, I savor shut-outs, and it irks me that I haven't been able to cheer for any this year.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 01:11 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

shutouts are overrated

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 01:21 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

At this point I hope they don't get one all season.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 01:27 PM
mja
Negative Creep

I just want W's.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 03:45 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
As long as we win, I'm alright with not getting one. Just sucks for Boosh and Bob. The one thing that does irk me though are the people on this board saying that the only thing that'll worry them is if we don't have one come playoffs. I don't understand why you would be worried if we don't have one by then. Michael Leighton putting up Bernie Parent numbers last year against Montreal was a bit fluky, so it's not like shutouts are part of or expected in the POs. If the Flyers keep playing like they have this season, the fact that we don't have a shutout isn't something to worry about. It just means we've won a **** ton of games with the other team scoring.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I kinda think it's a serious problem. But we can look at it two different way.

The flyers are consistently giving up goals, which is a bad thing. We all know that the scoring can be a great deal tighter in the Play-offs, and is usually lower. So that can be quite a worrying statistic that it's like that. The fact that our D, and our goalies cannot keep weak offense's off the board is a little puzzling.

The advantage to it of course, is that the players on the ice are constantly battling for something. That first shut-out. I honestly believe it's playing on their minds a little too much, because whenever we give up a goal, our defense all of a sudden becomes much tighter and stronger as a unit. As if a weight has been lifted off.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
It's funny because it's true

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote