HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Let The Season End Now!!!

Old
02-11-2011, 02:41 AM
Jimmy Villa

vCash: 500
Let The Season End Now!!!

Did anyone else look at the standings after last nights results and think that the season ending now would be really cool?!?

Flyers v Canes
Lightning v Rags
Bruins v Habs
Pens v Caps

becomes

Flyers v Rags
Bruins v Pens

becomes

Flyers v Bruins

becomes

Eastern Conference Champion!!!

Now we just gotta figure out a way to beat the Nucks over 7!!!

Jimmy Villa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 03:31 AM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Villa View Post
Did anyone else look at the standings after last nights results and think that the season ending now would be really cool?!?

Flyers v Canes
Lightning v Rags
Bruins v Habs
Pens v Caps

becomes

Flyers v Rags
Bruins v Pens

becomes

Flyers v Bruins

becomes

Eastern Conference Champion!!!

Now we just gotta figure out a way to beat the Nucks over 7!!!
Did you plan the parade also?

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 04:03 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

I'd like ONE FREAKING SHUTOUT before we declare ourselves a lock for the Stanley Cup. We can lose to any of the other 7 teams in playoff position right now.

Don't write off the Canes, with the crap that Maurice, Staal, Ward, and Jokinen are able to pull off in the playoffs....

sobrien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 04:13 AM
Jimmy Villa

Na it's far from a foregone conclusion in truth, but I do think this is about the best play-off picture we could hope to see.

I want to avoid the Bruins (full-stop) at least until as late as possible, and the Pens would be a nightmare if Crosby and the gang are healthy.

The shutout thing is a worry, but we've been comfortably in the top 10 all season for GAA, so it isn't completely disasterous.

I wanna avoid the Bolts, because even though they don't have a wealth of play off experience in their roster, their fire power is the best in East (except for ours) and they've shown once already this year that in a striaght out slugfest, they can outscore us.

I don't really wanna come up against any team that we are 0-3 against if we can avoid it

Fair point about the Canes, but our record against them suggests that if they were to turn us over in 7, it would be like some kind of Kurt Russell inspired 'miracle'

Old
02-11-2011, 04:37 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
I do not want to face the bruins. They are so solid top to bottom and have no weakness.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 04:53 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

I'm all for it. Pens without Crosby.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 05:02 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Don't write off the Canes, with the crap that Maurice, Staal, Ward, and Jokinen are able to pull off in the playoffs....
That's right! You shouldn't write off the Canes because of Staal, Ward, Jokinen, Laviol---

Crap.

Nevermind. The Canes suck.

Honestly there is one team I'm worried about, and they are the Tampa Bay Lightning and that's not even because they're better than us, it's because for some reason they've beaten us 3 times this year. While I'm sure they'd lose to literally ANYONE else in a 7 game series, they'd probably sweep us with Gags scoring a goal in every game.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 05:31 AM
Jimmy Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
That's right! You shouldn't write off the Canes because of Staal, Ward, Jokinen, Laviol---

Crap.

Quote:
Honestly there is one team I'm worried about, and they are the Tampa Bay Lightning and that's not even because they're better than us, it's because for some reason they've beaten us 3 times this year. While I'm sure they'd lose to literally ANYONE else in a 7 game series, they'd probably sweep us with Gags scoring a goal in every game.
Honestly, I have had those EXACT thoughts!!!! I too think that the Bolts would most likely lose to anyone else over 7, but would somehow get past us, and it's written in the stars that Gagne would have a major impact.

Although you haven't mentioned them, I really don't want the Bruins either. They have a stronger team overall than last year, and man.........they must still be SUPER hosed about the way it went down last time around!

Old
02-11-2011, 05:33 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I don't want the Pens, Tampa or Bruins. Which, hopefully we wont see at least until the second round.

Tampa have our number this year, Bruins are quite a solid team and would of beaten us last year had Richards not made a miricle hit. We all know what Crosby is.

So i agree with the OP. Lets end the season now please

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 06:08 AM
CptCannon

I'd be happy to meet the Habs again and mop the floor with them.

On the other hand, Tampa definately scares the hell out of me. They're far better on the ice than on the paper. Specially now that they really seem to have our number.

Also meeting the Pens should make a good series, payback time.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 08:22 AM
agrudez*

I'd rather face the Habs than the Canes in the first round so that the series would be less physically wearing (I know that sounds weird after the Mon v. Bos game a few nights ago ).

No team really SCARES me, though. We are clearly the team to beat in the East; however, I would least like to face Boston (2nd best team, goalie having a possibly historic season, revenge factor for last year). Also, TB worries me simply because we have lost three times to them already.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 08:58 AM
Jimmy Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
I'd rather face the Habs than the Canes in the first round so that the series would be less physically wearing (I know that sounds weird after the Mon v. Bos game a few nights ago ).

No team really SCARES me, though. We are clearly the team to beat in the East; however, I would least like to face Boston (2nd best team, goalie having a possibly historic season, revenge factor for last year). Also, TB worries me simply because we have lost three times to them already.

Yeah, all valid points.

But if the Habs try to bring it physically, then.......

shelley fight.jpg carbomb.jpg

Their funeral!!

Old
02-11-2011, 10:28 AM
agrudez*

I was actually suggesting that Carolina would be more physically intense than Montreal.

LaRose and Cole (assuming he is still there) are big, physical guys that could really grind guys like Timonen down on the forecheck and hurt our chances past that round. All Montreal has is a bunch of chirpers like Lapierre and Subban and overall they still haven't shaken their midget lineup stigma from last playoffs.

Also, Ward >> Price.

Edit. Also, I doubt either Shelley or Carcillo are in the lineup for the playoffs.

Old
02-11-2011, 10:33 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I think the Pens lose to the Caps without Malkin and Crosby.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Jester

Quote:

Crap.

You probably should worry about Boston, too... given that their goaltending is excellent, and Tim Thomas has an excellent track record against us.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 11:21 AM
Villedelphia*

Am I the only one who thinks TB would beat NYR?

Villedelphia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villedelphia View Post
I think TB can beat anyone, and lose to anyone.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 11:34 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I'd like ONE FREAKING SHUTOUT before we declare ourselves a lock for the Stanley Cup. We can lose to any of the other 7 teams in playoff position right now.

shutouts are overrated.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 11:49 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I think TB can beat anyone, and lose to anyone.
Agreed. If Roli gets hot and their offense and special teams can fire on all cylinders, TB can do damage. I think they'll get out of the first round, but almost certainly not the second.

The Canes would not be easy, either...how many times have we seen them upset teams that are superior on paper in the playoffs? They are capable of ratcheting things up. I think we'd beat them, but that attitude will get you burned by a team like them...

As for Boston, I don't want them. At all.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 11:55 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
I'd rather use the rest of those tickets I paid for.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 11:56 AM
JagerPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villedelphia View Post
TB are the biggest threat to our Stanley Cup Run this year.

Old
02-11-2011, 12:02 PM
MrHockey1982

I don't want to win the cup UNLESS we play the Penguins. Yea that's right. You know beating them before we win the cup would be the icing on the cake. Obviously we have to get there first but I want the Pens.

MrHockey1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 12:12 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerPuck View Post
TB are the biggest threat to our Stanley Cup Run this year.
I'm still not sure if I am more worried about them or Boston. While they seem to have our number, I think over a 7 game series Lavi could figure them out and there are definitely weaknesses there, though Roli is currently playing out of his mind to mask a lot of them. Boston, however, should be very good - especially if Timmy can stay on his game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
I don't want to win the cup UNLESS we play the Penguins. Yea that's right. You know beating them before we win the cup would be the icing on the cake. Obviously we have to get there first but I want the Pens.
While it'd be fun to beat the Penguins, I couldn't care less if we don't see them en route to a Cup win. If we win the Cup, I don't care if we have the easiest road to win it as long as we win it.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 12:20 PM
JagerPuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHockey1982 View Post
Well, you cant always get what you want.

Old
02-11-2011, 12:27 PM
agrudez*

Even if we play the Penguins it would be a hollow victory because all of their fans would cry and say it was just because Malkin was out and Crosby wasn't fully back to his game yet.

They won't make it out of the first round this year anyway, imo. When the game slows down and teams focus all of their efforts on defending Crosby then they are ****ed.