HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Volpatti sent down, Oreskovich called up

Old
02-10-2011, 11:11 PM
Diven

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jag View Post
Tony G and Ben K said he was likely going to be sent down in this video, and attributed it to lack of action after the Hamhuis hit.

http://communities.canada.com/thepro...n-hamhuis.aspx
Given that Volpatti (and the entire 4th line) was not given a shift in the 3rd period, I don't think he should be blamed for any lack of action.

Diven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 11:33 PM
Upoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
It's usually even more extreme than that. In 6 days with the Canucks Shirokov made almost 3 months AHL salary (14:1 ratio); Desbiens made more just in 39 days on LTIR this year than he would in 2 seasons in the AHL (10:1 ratio); Tanev's already made 2 years worth of AHL salary in his 26 days with the team (13:1 ratio); and 2 weeks on the Canucks roster gets Hodgson almost a year's worth of AHL pay (12:1 ratio).

A week on the Canucks roster will pay Oreskovich more than he'd make the rest of the season with the Moose (10:1 ratio).
Wow. No wonder players want to play here. A great decision by all mighty GMMG.

I love how the Canucks have turned into a world class organization from top to bottom.

Upoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 11:37 PM
galiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYVanfan View Post
interesting
lets hope he beats some people up

Don't hold your breath. He's a big guy who can't fight.

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 12:49 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Looking forward to seeing what he can do, should be an upgrade on Volpatti

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 12:53 AM
xtr3m

Tony G is not the one running the team.

Quote:
“We’re in first place overall. We’ve lost one game at home in two months. And suddenly we don’t have a guy who fights. I don’t see other teams taking liberties with our players. That was one body check (by Getzlaf) that turned out badly.

“We’re always looking to improve. But Detroit’s competed for the Stanley Cup every year for 15 years and I don’t see anyone who fights there. They’re the gold standard in our league and that’s the model we’re trying to follow.”

“(The Getzlaf hit) wasn’t anyone taking liberties,” said Gillis. “It was a body check. You know my opinion (on the Michalek hit). I thought it was a crappy play. But to panic because of one or two plays? That’s not the way we operate.”
It's Mike G.

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 03:03 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Let's hope Oreo can surprise us, pleasantly. Much like what Tanev and Sweatt did.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 03:16 AM
David71

oreo can't fight. But he sure hits like a freight train. i remember in the summer watching him getting interviewed, he said he worked out alot. sure he's bigg and can skate pretty well for a big guy like him, but he lack fighting skills. wasnt there a game in the preseason one time against calgary, he hit a calgary player, then the dude responded but oreo got beaten, not badly but yah his fighting skills arent that great.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 06:27 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Hasn't Bill Sweatt been much much better than Oreskovich this season and of late?

Looks like Vigneault will ride out the Torres/Malhotra duo regardless of how little chemistry they show.

They called up the wrong guy. Hopefully it only takes 2 games to figure this out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
If they want a big, physical body on the 4th line Raffi Torres is their man. They need to look at other options on that 3rd line left wing before the playoffs and for whatever reason they're completely unwilling to make changes to a duo that looks dreadful next to one another. Torres isn't a player you want playing the toughest minutes on your team and his inability to make plays with the puck is a poor fit next to another offensive blackhole like Manny. Torres is a finisher, get him next to a centre that can get him the puck. Hodgson can not only make plays he directs a ton of shots at the net - perfect for a garbage goal collector like Torres.

If any team can get by with no offense from the bottom 6 it's the Canucks - however that doesn't mean they should be assembling 2 lines that will be hard pressed to produce any timely goals in the playoffs.

I give the big-O two and out.
Agreed completely.

It's time to pull the plug on Raffi Torres and call his signing a (mitigated) failure. Not good enough to play in the top-6 on this team, not good enough defensively to play on a 3rd line for a contender plus has horrible chemistry with Malhotra.

All isn't lost because he becomes a pretty good 4th line player (and as you say, a good option as a linemate for Hodgson) who we can plug back up to the 3rd line if we have injury issues, but at this point we have to start looking for better solutions there.

I don't know if I want Sweatt on our checking line heading into the playoffs, but he's been great in the AHL and deserves a look a lot sooner than Oreskovich and his 4 goals in the AHL this year. Hell, Sweatt is now leading the Moose in scoring.

That said, Oreskovic will be an upgrade on Volpatti, who simply was nowhere near good enough to be playing in the NHL at this point of his career.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 07:55 AM
Catamarca Livin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag View Post
Tony G and Ben K said he was likely going to be sent down in this video, and attributed it to lack of action after the Hamhuis hit.

http://communities.canada.com/thepro...n-hamhuis.aspx
Well then they are retards as Volpatti didnt play a shift after the hit. Neither did Torres or Glass.

Catamarca Livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 08:55 AM
AlbertaNucksFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Eh, I don't know about that. Given some of the completely awful fourth lines we've had in recent years, anything looks like an improvement. But Volpatti didn't hurt the team when he was on the ice, had some good hits, fights and made some good outlet clears of the zone. Small, safe plays, kind of like Tanner Glass. I think there's at least some potential there.
I agree with this. He was hitting really heavy at first before he hurt his shoulder. And the speed of the game didn't seem out of reach to him in the future.

AlbertaNucksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Vajakki

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
It's time to pull the plug on Raffi Torres and call his signing a (mitigated) failure. Not good enough to play in the top-6 on this team, not good enough defensively to play on a 3rd line for a contender plus has horrible chemistry with Malhotra.
Agreed 100%. I really didn't know that much about Torres before this season (besides the fact that he seemed to bury the Canucks a lot when he was playing for the Oilers), hadn't followed his game closely enough so I could've had a strong opinion on him, but after these 55 games I can honestly say that I hate to have him on this team.

His skill set is very limited to start with, no where near top 6. He's also not a bottom 6 player because he doesn't have that defensive awareness that third line guy should have, and is not humble enough for the fourth line role (nor has the skating and hustle required for it). It seems like he thinks he is more than a bottom 6 player but unfortunately his skill level doesn't agree with that, and with that attitude (together with his low skill/head for the game) it's just not going to work, no matter what role he plays.

The one thing I've noticed, and definitely the biggest thing that drives me nuts is that Torres does all the "small things" just plain horrible on the ice. These "small things" include basic stuff like making a pass at least close to the target's stick, making a pass that doesn't put the receiver in a horrible spot, taking a pass, keeping your stick on the ice, flipping the puck out smartly, control your stick etc etc. Basic stuff that you should learn when you put your skates on. Obviously it's harder to do those things succesfully in the NHL, but by all means he's an "NHL player" and he should be able to do these simple things.

I mean, there's a lot of players playing in the NHL with limited skill. Just look at Jannik Hansen (or Glass) for example, not very skilled guy, rarely generates anything in the offensive zone, but is still being able to do the small things very well on the ice and therefore is good and dependable forward in the NHL.

Simply put, Torres just can't do that, and is a liability in any role in a good team. I'd waive him instantly and use Tambellini and Hansen with Malhotra in the third line. Glass and now Oreskovich with Hodgson in fourth. Maybe try to add a solid winger in the third line spot before deadline, if the price is reasonable.

Vajakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:24 AM
sdbullet

Send a message via AIM to sdbullet
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik19 View Post
I think a Torres benching is a bit overdue. Sure he could put up a 2G game out of the blue but right now he is an anchor around the third line's neck. Put some finish on the third line to put Hansen's hard work in creating turnovers to good use.

Tambellini - Malhotra - Hansen
Glass - Hodgson - Oreskovich
I would like to see the following

Glass Malhotra Hansen physical checking line
Tambellini Hodgson Oreskovich fast scoring energy line

sdbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:57 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Well this is an Oreskoviched development.

This is the audition I've been most looking forward to.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 11:29 AM
stevecanuck16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamarca Livin View Post
Well then they are retards as Volpatti didnt play a shift after the hit. Neither did Torres or Glass.
That might be because they were on the ice when the hit occurred, if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps the lack of an immediate response resulted in their benching.

stevecanuck16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 11:56 AM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecanuck16 View Post
That might be because they were on the ice when the hit occurred, if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps the lack of an immediate response resulted in their benching.
They weren't. The fact that the Canucks were behind in the game and trying to WIN was why they didn't play in the third. If they really want retribution on Getzlaf, he's not going anywhere.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 12:41 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Didn't AV even say that he felt that the time wasn't right for going after Getzlaf?

RobertKron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
Didn't AV even say that he felt that the time wasn't right for going after Getzlaf?
Maybe AV figured Volpatti wasn't staring from the bench in an intimidating enough manner. Poor Bowness had to pick up the slack there.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 12:49 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
According to NHL.com these were the other players on the ice: Bieksa, Malhotra, Hansen, Hodgson.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 01:15 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
According to NHL.com these were the other players on the ice: Bieksa, Malhotra, Hansen, Hodgson.
Now we know why Hodgson got sent down

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 01:30 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
Maybe AV figured Volpatti wasn't staring from the bench in an intimidating enough manner. Poor Bowness had to pick up the slack there.
Bowness thought O'Brien was still on the Ducks.

RobertKron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 03:16 PM
xtr3m

Quote:
@patersonjeff
Jeff Paterson
#canucks AV asked why Oreskovich. Said while management watched Salo's games with Moose, big winger was a stand out
Boom!

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 03:20 PM
JUMBOcanuck

vCash: 883
Oreskovich has played Centre in the past hasn't he? maybe not as a pro, but any experience there has to be more than Glass has you would think.

JUMBOcanuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Wetcoaster

I am interested to see Viktor Oreskovich. Last year he delivered some huge hits and not just on scrubs. He nailed Langenbrunner, Mike Green, Tuomo Ruutu, Alex Pietrangelo, etc.

He played Ontario provincial junior, NCAA (Notre Dame) and OHL with Kitchener Rangers where he put up a PPG pace one year. He was definitely the wild card in the deal and the Canucks asked for him specifically to be included in the deal at the insistence of Canucks' pro scouting director Eric Crawford.

According to Gills when he was interviewed on TSN at the time of the trade he said the Canucks believe that Oreskovich has "significant upside" which is you look at his junior career and scouting reports seems to be a tenable position. Not many rookie pros play 50 NHL games and certainly not ones that were out of hockey for the two prior seasons.

Keith Ballard's assessment of Victor Oreskovich whom he played with last year in Florida.

Vic is a real good skater, hes really strong, hes real good on the forecheck as far as using his speed and hes very physical. He creates a lot of chances using his physical play and his speed, he gets in on the foreheck and separates real well and can do a good job down low defensively. Hes a Canadian kid and I know hes excited about coming to Vancouver as well.

"He hits, he battles and basically makes the most of his ice time." -- Cory Stillman

"You don't forget the energy and speed a guy that size brings to the game." -- Peter DeBoer

"He's really good on the forecheck because of his size and his skating. He can be a real physical presence." -- Jack Birch, Florida's Director of Player Personnel

Date of birth: August 15, 1986
Place of birth: Whitby, Ont., Canada
Ht: 6-3 Wt: 215
Shoots: R
NHL Seasons: 1
Drafted by Colorado in 2004 (2/55).
Acquired in a trade with Florida in 2010.

ASSETS: Plays a power game and loves to work the boards. Is strong on his skates and a load to move from the front of the net.

FLAWS: Needs to continue rounding out his offensive game, including his quickness and reaction time. Must hit people more often to be make more of an impact.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Big-bodied winger.

He played centre in junior (top play-maker) so he could see some time there with the Canucks as well. Bear in mind all the horrible Vancouver teams where many such picks as Oreskovich did not get to 25 NHL games let alone 50 NHL games let alone after being out of hockey for two years.

Here was his post-draft scouting report after the Avalanche selected him in the second round:

Victor Oreskovich spent 2003-04 playing with Green Bay of the USHL, appearing in 58 games, and coming third in team scoring with 11 goals and 26 assists, and was the leader amongst the teams rookies in point production. He had a good season, obviously impressing the Avs scouts enough to select him fairly high in the draft.

Oreskovich is a big 18-year-old (62, 215 lbs) and he should continue to fill out over the next three years. This bodes well for Oreskovich who is a physical player who cannot be intimidated and refuses to back down from a challenge. He displays remarkable discipline for a young player, restraining himself when opponents try to provoke him. He has a solid offensive package, possessing good stick-handling that coupled with his size allows him to excel in traffic. He has a strong wrist shot and is unselfish with the puck. His combination of good skating and soft hands makes him a very promising player.

Oreskovich has committed to playing for the University of Notre Dame (CCHA) in 2004-05. He will spend several years in college refining his offensive game and the Avalanche hope that he will be able to fill a top six forward role. Oreskovich certainly has the tools to be an effective scorer in the NHL, but he is quite some time away at this point. An NHL arrival probably cannot be expected until 2008-09.

He left Notre Dame to play in the OHL for Kitchener but experienced some injury issues. In the fall of 2007 this was how he was seen:

In his first full OHL season, he had a good year, scoring at nearly a point-per-game pace with 28 goals, 60 points in 62 games. He scored half his goals on the power play, and finished with a +15 rating. He also added two goals in five playoff matches. Oreskovich is a prototypical power forward, possessing a good mix of size, speed, and skill. He is an unselfish player, who looks to pass as much as he looks to shoot. He is strong in traffic areas and excels in the physical game. He has tremendous work ethic and competes hard. Oreskovich has the tools to be a solid forward at the pro level, but he needs to fine tune his skills. Development in the AHL is needed and he will start his career with Lake Erie.

He unexpectedly refused to report to the AHL and retired from hockey.

Victor only stayed at Notre Dame for two years saying, I jumped to juniors to jump start my pro career and it worked out.

He played two seasons with the Kitchener Rangers, the second season being the most productive. He scored 28 goals, had 32 assists, and played in 62 games during the 2006/2007 season. He also played in five playoff games that season and registered two goals.

After that season (in Kitchener) he was looking to make the jump to the next level. I signed with Colorado after my last year in Kitchener but at that time I had a couple injuries and lost my passion along the way. I went to my second training camp with Colorado and retired that fall (2007).

On September 17, 2007 he was assigned to the Lake Erie Monsters but did not report and was suspended by the Avalanche at which point he retired from hockey.

After he retired he went back to Notre Dame to finish school and graduated with a degree in finance. While Victor was at school he says, That fire came back. I just started really missing the game and I really wanted to try and make a comeback.

After being off the radar for two seasons, Florida signed him as a free agent for last season and sent him to Rochester. His junior coach in Kitchener was Peter DeBoer and he was coaching the Panthers so he was familiar with him. He played just 34 games in the AHL and then was promoted playing 50 with the Panthers showing his skills had not completely left him.

He also played centre in the OHL so he could be the third or fourth line centre or play wing. Gillis values versatility and smarts - he seems to have it. In Florida they were overflowing at centre so he played the wing.

Oreskovich in 50 games delivered the second most hits of any Panther forward (99 in only 50 games) while only racking up 26 PIMs. Hitting without taking stupid penalties was probably Bernier's strongest point also - he had 105 hits in 59 games with 21 PIMs. So pretty much a wash in the trade yet the Canucks get younger and cheaper with the same size and physicality - if you consider cap space a valuable asset (and I do) then the deal works as an exchange of third/fourth liners.

Seems a solid fourth liner to start and he may have significant upside - a big guy who can skate, hit and is willing to drop the gloves is something the Canucks need on the forward line. Hopefully he lives up to his press clippings.

Last edited by Wetcoaster: 02-11-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
We should just let Oreskovich come in and play his game. So he's not a good fighter. If he can hit and hurt people, that would be a plus right now (would've loved it if somebody went out there and nailed Getzlaf's ***) if you ask me. Debs got his chance; so did Volpatti; now, lets see what Oreskovich can do.

My sense is he's not a confident player which means with proper coaching, he can improve. It just bothers me when expectations are set high (pressure), he can't fight (pressure), somebody else should be called up (pressure), etc...

My advice to Oreskovich: play your game and listen to your coach on what you can improve. Period. And don't read HF (oops - that's recursive).

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 05:01 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
I just like that even though Oreo isn't a good fighter, he'll back up his play whenever needed.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote