HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phillies' Baseball (MLB): Happy Halladays and a Merry Cliffmas!

Closed Thread

Old
02-07-2011, 03:47 PM
McNasty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
You apparently missed how bad they were last year. Even if they're fairly washed up, they're a lot less washed up than Kevin Millwood. They'll still at least provide some life in the team and help the youngsters learn.

They're in no way going to make the playoffs, but it's a step in the right direction.
They're in no way going to be top 4th place either.

Old
02-07-2011, 04:06 PM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
Cole Hamels and his family had dinner at Chubby Balboas last night around like, 6:30-7:00. The place turned into a ******* circus when he arrived, I mean, people trying to take pictures of him and crap when he's got his kid in his arms.

Made me sick. I mean, yeah, it was cool to see him at a restaurant I will probably go to semi-frequently, but give the guy and his family some privacy, ya know?

By the way, cool bar. Average beer selection as far as what's on tap, but good bottled selection. They had Delirium Tremens ($14/bottle?!?!) and Golden Monkey, my two favorite strong Belgians.

Old
02-07-2011, 04:48 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
You apparently missed how bad they were last year. Even if they're fairly washed up, they're a lot less washed up than Kevin Millwood. They'll still at least provide some life in the team and help the youngsters learn.

They're in no way going to make the playoffs, but it's a step in the right direction.
I can see bringing in one or two to be the veteran presence, but at some point it's just silly. I think they've passed that point.

Old
02-07-2011, 06:47 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 0
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
So far the O's have signed JJ Hardy, Derrek Lee, Mark Reynolds, and now they sign Vlad Guerrero. My AL team is starting to get me excited for baseball season.
I'm excited, but the O's usually tend to disappoint. I just hope they make it interesting for the season.

Old
02-10-2011, 04:34 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Well it seems that the Phils actually tried to get Young from the Rangers at one point.

Link

Old
02-10-2011, 10:29 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Well it seems that the Phils actually tried to get Young from the Rangers at one point.

Link
At least Ruben knows he needs RH hitting help. I like the new Phils mentality, even if they are turning into Yankee South.

Old
02-10-2011, 02:35 PM
Phileeguy
RIP Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
At least Ruben knows he needs RH hitting help. I like the new Phils mentality, even if they are turning into Yankee South.
"Yankee South" isn't exactly a moniker that I particularly care for as I dislike the Yankees, but I am 100% behind the meaning of that name. The fact that I disliked the Yankees is that they would win by what most observers would deem buying a championship, but I always envied the fact that ownership was that hungry for them. The system allows for it as it has no cap (but a luxury tax) and I wished the Phils owners were more like the Steinbrenners. Now that they are spending more, and spending wisely for the most part it's beautiful. Sure as hell beats the leaner years of the late 80s and most of the 90s.

Old
02-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
"Yankee South" isn't exactly a moniker that I particularly care for as I dislike the Yankees, but I am 100% behind the meaning of that name. The fact that I disliked the Yankees is that they would win by what most observers would deem buying a championship, but I always envied the fact that ownership was that hungry for them. The system allows for it as it has no cap (but a luxury tax) and I wished the Phils owners were more like the Steinbrenners. Now that they are spending more, and spending wisely for the most part it's beautiful. Sure as hell beats the leaner years of the late 80s and most of the 90s.
It's tough to compare anyone to the Yankees. Their spending abilities are so far beyond what everyone else can reasonably do that it breaks down fast. That being said, Phils are now part of the reason why MLB needs a stricter luxury tax, or, better yet, a salary cap.

Old
02-10-2011, 10:16 PM
Terence Peterman

So, I was in a baseball keeper that started up last year. Real small -- just six teams. We're keeping 5 players each. But who the hell do I keep? These are the guys worth bringing into the conversation:

Hitters: Cano, Hanley Ramirez, Votto, Mauer, Heyward
Pitchers: Hamels, Phil Hughes, Felix Hernandez, Latos, Liriano

I'm thinking Hernandez because he's nasty everywhere but Ws, and Cano and Ramirez because of position. But I don't know.

Old
02-10-2011, 10:42 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I'd keep Cano, H-Ram, Votto, and Felix for sure. Those first 3 are 1st round draft picks.

Old
02-11-2011, 09:35 AM
agrudez*

Ramirez and Mauer are absolute no brainers, the two best players at both of their positions by far.

I would probably keep both Hernandez and Hamels (pitching against number 3's and possibly number 4's are going to bloat his win totals this year - finally).

The last pick is tricky, though. I would probably lean towards Cano over Votto because 2B is much harder to find good fantasy players than 1B (where even late rounders will put up 25+ HR's).

Old
02-11-2011, 11:01 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
So, I was in a baseball keeper that started up last year. Real small -- just six teams. We're keeping 5 players each. But who the hell do I keep? These are the guys worth bringing into the conversation:

Hitters: Cano, Hanley Ramirez, Votto, Mauer, Heyward
Pitchers: Hamels, Phil Hughes, Felix Hernandez, Latos, Liriano

I'm thinking Hernandez because he's nasty everywhere but Ws, and Cano and Ramirez because of position. But I don't know.
I'd keep Mauer, HanRam, Felix, and Cano. Do you have to keep 5? I'd throw the rest back. None of them are significantly better than what you'd find in the draft. If you have to keep another I'd go Hamels. 1B are ridiculously deep in fantasy, Heyward won't go super high, and the rest of the pitchers are meh.

Old
02-11-2011, 11:54 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
I'd keep Cano, H-Ram, Votto, and Felix for sure. Those first 3 are 1st round draft picks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Ramirez and Mauer are absolute no brainers, the two best players at both of their positions by far.

I would probably keep both Hernandez and Hamels (pitching against number 3's and possibly number 4's are going to bloat his win totals this year - finally).

The last pick is tricky, though. I would probably lean towards Cano over Votto because 2B is much harder to find good fantasy players than 1B (where even late rounders will put up 25+ HR's).
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
I'd keep Mauer, HanRam, Felix, and Cano. Do you have to keep 5? I'd throw the rest back. None of them are significantly better than what you'd find in the draft. If you have to keep another I'd go Hamels. 1B are ridiculously deep in fantasy, Heyward won't go super high, and the rest of the pitchers are meh.
Thanks guys. The number might drop to four (we're expanding), but if not, it's still five. I was thinking Ramirez and Cano because that's a crazy good MI, and Hernandez for similarly obvious reasons, but the other one or two are up in the air. I'd like another pitcher, but I don't know how much better Hamels or Latos gets next year. Another hitter would be nice, but 1B is so deep and catcher is pretty much the same after the first couple guys, so I don't put a ton of value on Mauer if I can find better overall production in a combination of other positions.

Decisions, decisions, I suppose.

Old
02-11-2011, 12:40 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Thanks guys. The number might drop to four (we're expanding), but if not, it's still five. I was thinking Ramirez and Cano because that's a crazy good MI, and Hernandez for similarly obvious reasons, but the other one or two are up in the air. I'd like another pitcher, but I don't know how much better Hamels or Latos gets next year. Another hitter would be nice, but 1B is so deep and catcher is pretty much the same after the first couple guys, so I don't put a ton of value on Mauer if I can find better overall production in a combination of other positions.

Decisions, decisions, I suppose.
Mauer is one of those first couple of guys, though. If you keep him, Cano, and HanRam you've got the three most exclusive positions locked up with arguably the best guy at each spot and you're then picking from all the deep positions in the draft. Keep those three and Felix and Hamels and you can go nab two OFs and a 3B in the early rounds of the draft and be stacked basically everywhere.

Old
02-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Justified
Amaro out

I see Cole being the best pitcher on the team by the end of the year.

Old
02-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Mauer is one of those first couple of guys, though. If you keep him, Cano, and HanRam you've got the three most exclusive positions locked up with arguably the best guy at each spot and you're then picking from all the deep positions in the draft. Keep those three and Felix and Hamels and you can go nab two OFs and a 3B in the early rounds of the draft and be stacked basically everywhere.
Hadn't thought about it that way to this point. The only keeper I've ever been in is our hockey one, so not keeping all the players is different to me. Most of my planning's a few weeks off with the draft towards the end of March.

Old
02-11-2011, 02:59 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
I see Cole being the best pitcher on the team by the end of the year.
Halladay
Lee
Oswalt
Hamels

Just gross. Any of these guys can be the best pitcher, but their recent history suggests it will go in this order.

Hamels best feature is his age. Oswalt, Halladay and Lee have all peaked in their early 30's. Hamels is 26.

Old
02-11-2011, 03:01 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Halladay
Lee
Oswalt
Hamels

Just gross. Any of these guys can be the best pitcher, but their recent history suggests it will go in this order.

Hamels best feature is his age. Oswalt, Halladay and Lee have all peaked in their early 30's. Hamels is 26.
Actually, I would argue that recent history would have the pitchers set up like this:

Halladay
Lee = Hamels
Oswalt

Hamels had a pretty ridiculous 2nd half of the season last year.

Old
02-11-2011, 03:04 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Actually, I would argue that recent history would have the pitchers set up like this:

Halladay
Lee = Hamels
Oswalt

Hamels had a pretty ridiculous 2nd half of the season last year.
I took Hamels 2009 year into account, but I completely agree. Hamels age and attitude means he can still improve or at least improve his consistency.

Either way, having Oswalt as your 4th best pitcher statistically is just nuts.

Old
02-11-2011, 03:08 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
I took Hamels 2009 year into account, but I completely agree. Hamels age and attitude means he can still improve or at least improve his consistency.

Either way, having Oswalt as your 4th best pitcher statistically is just nuts.
Hell, having Blanton as your 5th starter is probably even more nuts.

We have 4 number 1 starters (at least 2 of which will likely compete for a Cy Young this year) and a really solid number 3 starter in the 5 hole.

I should mention that I really hope they trade Blanton to save some money for next year's budget (and believe that they will) - I mean, why pay Kendrick 2.3M to be your long relief guy? Makes no damn sense.

Old
02-11-2011, 04:32 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Hell, having Blanton as your 5th starter is probably even more nuts.

We have 4 number 1 starters (at least 2 of which will likely compete for a Cy Young this year) and a really solid number 3 starter in the 5 hole.

I should mention that I really hope they trade Blanton to save some money for next year's budget (and believe that they will) - I mean, why pay Kendrick 2.3M to be your long relief guy? Makes no damn sense.
I would keep Blanton around cause, god forbid, an injury occurred, I would like to have him here.

And I would rather see Worley then KK as the #5.

Old
02-11-2011, 04:46 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
I would keep Blanton around cause, god forbid, an injury occurred, I would like to have him here.

And I would rather see Worley then KK as the #5.
The fact is, even if Worley outpitched KK in spring training he would still get the nod for the rotation on opening day because you don't pay a guy 2.3M to be long relief.

If a pitcher gets hurt the Phillies have Worley and Bastardo to bridge the gap til they are back... if they get hurt for the season we have one of the best A prospect pools in the league to try and get a King Felix or someone else who will likely be available.

Even if they don't go after an injury replacement, are we that spoiled that only having 3 aces is unacceptable now?

Having Blanton's 10M to be a 5th starter kills the budget.

Old
02-11-2011, 04:50 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Hadn't thought about it that way to this point. The only keeper I've ever been in is our hockey one, so not keeping all the players is different to me. Most of my planning's a few weeks off with the draft towards the end of March.
With baseball in particular you really have to worry about position scarcity. HanRam and Cano are two of the top producers regardless of position, but once you get past them and 1-2 others at each of those positions there's just nothing. 1B is the opposite, where you can grab a quality player in like the 10th round (though going Pujols first overall is nothing to scoff at).

Catcher is a little weird in that there's like 3-4 incredible top guys like at 2B and SS, but unlike those positions (which just completely fall off, especially at SS), there are a lot of decent replacement level guys, so you have to either grab one of the top guys real early (like keeping Mauer) or just leave it and grab one of the many decent guys way late. SPs can kind of go anywhere since there seems to be a steady decline in the talent available from round to round instead of big gaps between groups, so I always feel like you can just grab one of them when you're in a position where you're not forced to grab the last of another position. Since you don't have obvious picks for the last two keeper slots, you might as well scoop up guys like Felix and Hamels.

Out of curiosity, do your keepers affect your draft picks at all or is it just a straight draft after keeping 5 each? I'm in a football league where your keepers make you forfeit a pick in the draft that corresponds with where they got taken the year before (putting emphasis on late round steals and undrafted guys who come up big like Miles Austin did in 2009), so that type of thing completely changes your strategy.

Old
02-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Justified
Amaro out

I just see how far Cole has come since 2009 with his velocity way up and a cutter that seems to keep on getting better, and possibly with a curve ball. From July 1st on he was basically dominant and the best phillies pitcher imo. Plus he is only 27 years old and he seems to be maturing. A couple of years ago he was asked about pitching on short rest and he said that wouldnt even try it, but last fall when it came up again he said he would give it a shot if it came to it. Its not like the Phillies will be needing him to this with the way the rotation is currently set up, but it seems like Doc and Moyer have really rubbed off on him.

Old
02-12-2011, 10:09 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Kendrick wouldn't have to be long relief. He might end up being a candidate for Durbin's spot. If here limits himself to two or three pitches stranger things have happened.

Closed Thread