HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Mark Streit

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2005, 02:40 AM
Trudel

vCash: 500
Mark Streit

What do you think of him? Has Montreal any intentions to sign him to a oneway-contract?

Old
07-15-2005, 02:52 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
I think Montreal WOULD want him to come over, I just don't think Streit wants to.

Damn shame too, he could play in the NHL.

Old
07-15-2005, 03:28 AM
Trudel

according to this
http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/dyn/news...se/519079.html

Mark Streit hasn't heard from Montreal since a year, but his intention is to come over when Montreal offers a oneway-contract.

Old
07-15-2005, 03:46 AM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Yeah I know, he wants to be in the NHL or else. That's the problem. Habs would want him to take a two-way deal so that he could go and play in Hamilton if needed.

Streit is a star in international hockey and the best of his country. Those who watched recent Swiss matches could easilly single out Streit as the best man on the ice on his side and that's including current and ex-NHLers like Julien Vauclair, Reto Von Arx and the goalies Aebischer and Gerber.

It's a bit like big fish in small pond VS small fish in a big pond. Streit is a big fish playing in Europe and on International tourneys SWI plays to qualify for more important competitions. But in the NHL, he'd become a common player. I think he fears that. I think he's right. But I think the Habs should invite him to camp and then sign him to his contract if he looks good, a one year deal.

Old
07-15-2005, 06:43 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudel
according to this
http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/dyn/news...se/519079.html

Mark Streit hasn't heard from Montreal since a year, but his intention is to come over when Montreal offers a oneway-contract.
Here's the babelfish translation:

Meanwhile Mark Streit is training this summer with its personal coach, while keeping an eye on the developments in North America. Because decides on the fact where he will play in the next winter. The agreement in the NHL Arbeitsstreit points now on Montreal, Streit gives oneself however reservedly: "I became careful. Since one year I heard nothing from Montreal. It will show up, what happens." Best Swiss defender always stressed that he would change only with a one-way contract to the Canadiens. He would be however ready to do for his NHL dream without something money: "I do not expect million-contract. It would be simply beautiful, if I got the chance." The Mindestsalaer for a NHL player is to amount to in accordance with the new agreement 450,000 dollar, of it drops approximately half for taxes. Montreal has to date only seven players under contract, under it two defenders.

Last edited by Fozz: 07-15-2005 at 08:54 PM.
Old
07-15-2005, 06:47 AM
Fozz

I can't see Streit being a downgrade from Brisebois, especially at $450,000. I say give him a one-year; one-way contract and take it from there. If he can't cut it, send him the the AHL anyways... Heck, we had Dykhuis and Traverse playing in Hamilton on one-way contracts two years ago.

Old
07-15-2005, 07:18 AM
eddy

I'd like him to come over, I think he could be a good 5-7 D with some PP time.

Old
07-15-2005, 07:53 AM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz
I can't see Streit being a downgrade from Brisebois, especially at $450,000. I say give him a one-year; one-way contract and take it from there. If he can't cut it, send him the the AHL anyways... Heck, we had Dykhuis and Traverse playing in Hamilton on one-way contracts two years ago.
That's exactly what needs to be understood, Gainey could pay him 500K one-way and he can still be asked to go down. If he doesn't want to report, so what, we're stuck with honouring his Contract? Not a lot to pay given that the consensus is this guy could step into the lineup. Even if we carried him on the roster as a 7th, he'd probably be an upgrade.

My only question would be the atmosphere he might bring to the team. If Gainey signed him, what would that tell other guys that have been working hard for a few years for a shot and are really close?

Old
07-15-2005, 08:27 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999
My only question would be the atmosphere he might bring to the team. If Gainey signed him, what would that tell other guys that have been working hard for a few years for a shot and are really close?
The only one that fits that category is Hainsey... If Brisebois is bought out, there's room for Streit.

Old
07-15-2005, 09:42 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Agreed, bringing Streit over would be nice. He even says in that article that he wouldn't be looking for a million-dollar deal, so signing him to a one-way contract for $500,000 or $600,000 could pay off. Hopefully, he'll be willing to come to the Summer rookie development camp (even though he's a little older) without a contract so that management can have a closer look at him.

Old
07-15-2005, 10:26 AM
Traitor8

I wouldn't worry about the fact that he hasn't heard from the Habs in about a year, I don't think a lot of players talked with management especially prospects overseas.
That said, he is 27 yrs old, is he actually really that good? Maybe he looks good cause he plays against people that suck?

I'm not hating him, just want some information! If he is good enough then come along especially if he only want 500 K. We would be able to spend a lot more on free agents such as Niedermayer or Aucoin and Kovalev.

How is his passing and his puck handling skills, his skating?

Old
07-15-2005, 12:59 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
I wouldn't worry about the fact that he hasn't heard from the Habs in about a year, I don't think a lot of players talked with management especially prospects overseas.
That said, he is 27 yrs old, is he actually really that good? Maybe he looks good cause he plays against people that suck?

I'm not hating him, just want some information! If he is good enough then come along especially if he only want 500 K. We would be able to spend a lot more on free agents such as Niedermayer or Aucoin and Kovalev.

How is his passing and his puck handling skills, his skating?
In the WC, his strength was definitely his passing and skating with the puck (he skates with his head up at a pretty good speed). He was very good at leading the rush out of his own zone, and he looked confident and calm on the PP. He isn't very physical though, but he seems to play a pretty good positional game. He could be a poor man's Timonen or Lydman (someone in that mold), or just an undersized nobody that is best suited to the wide ice of international hockey.

Old
07-15-2005, 01:02 PM
TroyM

His only "weakness" would be his tenacity and his size in my opinion but he was a bit like Markov in the sense that he didn't need it to due to great positional defence, after the WC there's no doubt I'd give him 500k and let him see what he can do.

Old
07-15-2005, 05:41 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
How did He look as compared to World cup players? Is He in the same league against the best?

Old
07-15-2005, 05:47 PM

He'd certainly look out of place in the early weeks of the season, but he could still hold his own for the rest of the season, IMO.

At $500K, we're saving something ofaround $2M on Brisebois' contract, wich would give us more money to spend on Kovalev and others. I'd certainly do it if he looks good in camp.

He'd certainly make less mistake than Brisebois and Rivet.

Old
07-15-2005, 07:35 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Streit was making world class defensive plays against guys like Kovalev, Kovalchuk etc... In the games I saw he was the best player on the ice for either team in both games, (against Russia and Belarus) He wasn't physical but usually was always in the right spot, played his man well with good body positioning so they couldn't turn him around. His skating, speed, passing, shot were all fine. I was most impressed with his defensive play and how he handled bigger stronger players.

IMO he should be signed and in the NHL next season.

Old
07-15-2005, 07:39 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Streit was making world class defensive plays against guys like Kovalev, Kovalchuk etc... In the games I saw he was the best player on the ice for either team in both games, (against Russia and Belarus) He wasn't physical but usually was always in the right spot, played his man well with good body positioning so they couldn't turn him around. His skating, speed, passing, shot were all fine. I was most impressed with his defensive play and how he handled bigger stronger players.

IMO he should be signed and in the NHL next season.

I agree, you can never have enough talent. Besides, our defense isnt exactly a position of strength and if we can find a dependable offensive defensemen to compliment Markov it would be great. I have big doubts when it comes to Brisebois and Hainsey.

Old
07-15-2005, 09:14 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Like I said previously, and without bragging, I said so the day he was drafted on Usenet, Mark Streit was a great pick. If he wouldn't have been picked then somebody would have signed him as a free agent or would be about to sign him.

Habs should draft an overager every year in the late rounds. Some of these guys can come over and help. And you can't deny that these guys have a...how can you say this, they have a certain "star" power.

Case in point, we're talking about MARK STREIT here. How often do we talk about 9th rounders, picked 262nd overall, BEFORE they even play in the league?

Great pick. The Habs scouting department hasted every one and these guys will dig some gold for us in the future I'm sure. And some cups, too.

Old
07-16-2005, 11:20 AM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
He couldn't have been signed, he needed to be drafted. Euro players must be drafted so they come over...

Old
07-16-2005, 11:54 AM
Zaitsev

Send a message via MSN to Zaitsev
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLger
He couldn't have been signed, he needed to be drafted. Euro players must be drafted so they come over...
drafted in the 9th round in 2004 by montreal ...

Closed Thread