HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Preds acquire Fisher

Old
02-11-2011, 11:42 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
She's been here a bunch, she usually sits in a suite. In fact she sat in the suite next to one I was in one night.

Country music stars really don't get hounded too much at events here. Taylor Swift and Kelly Pickler have been seen at a ton of games together, Vince Gill is a season ticket holder, Barbara Mandrel has been to many, the Judds, Tim and Faith, etc. That's why stars like Nashville, they can walk in public without being constantly harassed.

I just wonder if Carry and Mike can now take the top spot as Nashville's celeb-couple? Brad paisley and Nicole Kidman, who essentially took it from Tim and Faith...
Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman or Brad and his wife Kimberly Williams-Paisely or both?

No biggie, your point is valid. People are generally left alone.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 11:44 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Friday Face-Offs, 2/11/2011

Instead of making a new thread, this week's Friday Face-Offs focuses almost entirely on Mike Fisher.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Fisher Is Injured

moved
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=875415

Last edited by Icelevel: 02-11-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 01:42 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best WorstPoster View Post
moved
hurt? like injured?

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Hielo Grande

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stor...sher-call.html

cbc yarn on fisher. wonder what will happen to the home mike and carrie are building in ottawa area. seems they both like being in the nation's capital. i lived there many years ago (decades) and the city has its charm.
i think this is a major play for preds. when you have one guy who is busting his butt day in and day out others tend to mimic him cuz they feel guilty about taking days off. ojala.

Hielo Grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 02:23 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Singleton View Post
Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman or Brad and his wife Kimberly Williams-Paisely or both?

No biggie, your point is valid. People are generally left alone.
yeah, I don't read the scene much.......

Whoever the hot couple is in Nashville right now......

Kimberly Williams, that's it.... Thanks, man, she's hot too....

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 02:49 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Tmrw nights game is sold out already....wow

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
I forgot where I read it but there was a tabloid that said

"Nashville Predators hockey team welcomes Underwood's Husband"

It's defiantly going to sell tickets though. The predators have their superstar. Haha

What's this about Fisher being Injured????

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 03:15 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxClearTheCreasexx View Post
I forgot where I read it but there was a tabloid that said

"Nashville Predators hockey team welcomes Underwood's Husband"

It's defiantly going to sell tickets though. The predators have their superstar. Haha

Haha that was actually the front page article on The Tennessean's website. The largest newspaper in TN. I guess that's the kind of reporting one can expect from Gannett. Aside from the beat writer, the local fishwrap doesn't even know how to go about covering hockey unless they can make us look like a bunch of fools.

As for ticket sales I would typically be skeptical because we've never seen a huge correlation between big names and butts in seats, but I think with the influx of casual fans this season we might actually benefit from this in terms of attendance. It'll be interesting to see; that's for sure.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
DarrenDreger Darren Dreger
Fisher is still waiting for immigration documents to clear. Hoping to leave for Nashville soon
Also, some video interviews of Fisher and his teammates on the trade. Players seem sad to see him go. Very well liked guy

http://video.senators.nhl.com/videoc...=1141&id=97049

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 04:35 PM
sooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxClearTheCreasexx View Post

He was taken down on a break away against Toronto and ended up crashing into the boards. I want to say it was early November or late October. He ended up tearing rib cartilage but still played hurt. It took him awhile to heal because he didn't sit out.

sooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 04:37 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Also, some video interviews of Fisher and his teammates on the trade. Players seem sad to see him go. Very well liked guy

http://video.senators.nhl.com/videoc...=1141&id=97049
That reminds me of the interview with Sully when Arnott left, no wait, it doesn't.....

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 05:27 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
That reminds me of the interview with Sully when Arnott left, no wait, it doesn't.....
wow, that was good!

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 05:50 PM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Haha that was actually the front page article on The Tennessean's website. The largest newspaper in TN. I guess that's the kind of reporting one can expect from Gannett. Aside from the beat writer, the local fishwrap doesn't even know how to go about covering hockey unless they can make us look like a bunch of fools.
We want more people to become interested in hockey, right? There's more interest in Underwood than in hockey in Nashville, right? How is it bad that the headline is written that way? Wouldn't more people read it to see what's going on? Wouldn't some people buy tickets to see what all the fuss is about?

Granted it's not what a hockey purist would prefer but isn't it more like public relations? Just asking.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Adz

This tactic is demeaning and disrespectful. This wasn't PR, it was self serving and somewhat mean spirited. It is inappropriate to refer to either a man or a woman by the name of his or her spouse. If you'd ever referred to Andrea Conte as Mrs. Phil Bredesen or Kid Rock as Mr. Pam Anderson they'd have straightened you out immediately. The fact that Carrie Underwood's husband plays NHL hockey and is now on the Predators is news, but the headline could have been worded in a way that explained that without attacking his masculinity or his professional status.

This might be appropriate elsewhere, but Nashvillians are above this sort of thing. We're used to stars being married--sometimes to other stars.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 07:09 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Who wouldn't want to see Forsberg again?

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 07:17 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
This tactic is demeaning and disrespectful. This wasn't PR, it was self serving and somewhat mean spirited.
The fact that Carrie Underwood's husband plays NHL hockey and is now on the Predators is news, but the headline could have been worded in a way that explained that without attacking his masculinity or his professional status.

This might be appropriate elsewhere, but Nashvillians are above this sort of thing. We're used to stars being married--sometimes to other stars.
Attacking his masculinity? It was just an attempt at some fun and a jab that many in the town would know country music a lot better than hockey. . Nothing more. If it wasn't the Tennessean with their well known digs at the team we'd call it "self deprecating humor". If Fisher is even the slightest bit bothered by it and feels his masculinity was attacked maybe we aren't getting such a strong character guy.

It's just that sort of headline has been used before. Some articles on Indycar racing have called Dario Franchitti Mr. Ashley Judd. Because she was the bigger star. So it wasn't a funny headline, it's been done before. But that's the Tennessean for you. I can see why fans are a bit tired of the Tennessean, but there's zero reason for Fisher and Underwood to feel slighted, come on.

You're right, it was self serving. That's why newspapers try to create attention getting headlines. To self serve. This try backfired on them a bit, nobody really thought it was clever.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 02-11-2011 at 07:30 PM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Adz

Only person who should be referred to as Mr. Wife's name should be Mr. Admiral. ;-)

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 01:13 AM
dulzhok

Underwood is just way more famous than Fisher, not just in Nashville.

Probably at least 80% of America knows Carrie Underwood, probably less than 1% know Mike Fisher. .05% if he's lucky.

I think he'll be OK being called Mr. Underwood.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 08:29 AM
deanwormer

I would imagine when a person marries someone who is well known/a star, they might expect to be known as "spouse of The Star" - since the star is obviously going to have name recognition, be recognized by the press, etc. Guessing if MF (or Mrs. MF) even noticed the most they did was smirk.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 08:40 AM
jamwires

Congrats Preds fans, #12 is one hell of a person. Will be cheering for you guys in the playoffs (not just because it would make the conditional pick a 2nd rounder, either)

jamwires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 09:14 AM
preds1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Underwood is just way more famous than Fisher, not just in Nashville.

Probably at least 80% of America knows Carrie Underwood, probably less than 1% know Mike Fisher. .05% if he's lucky.

I think he'll be OK being called Mr. Underwood.
I agree that the masses of people know Carrie. But if I wasn't a season ticket holder for the past 5 years; I'd pay to see Mr. Fisher play in Nashville before Carrie any day of the week.

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 09:41 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
We want more people to become interested in hockey, right? There's more interest in Underwood than in hockey in Nashville, right? How is it bad that the headline is written that way? Wouldn't more people read it to see what's going on? Wouldn't some people buy tickets to see what all the fuss is about?

Granted it's not what a hockey purist would prefer but isn't it more like public relations? Just asking.
While I understand the premise of your post, I don't agree with the way in which it was initially covered by the paper. It was amateur and disingenuous. Yes I want more fans to like the team, but I want them to like the TEAM (or sport.) I don't think we're still in a situation where marketing a famous country singer's husband is the most beneficial way of going about that. Maybe a few years ago, but right now it's embarrassing.

I could be completely wrong in all of this. I'm not even going to pretend for a second that I have it all figured out. It's my opinion

Old
02-12-2011, 09:43 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I'm okay being Mr. Mandy Moore.
Ryan Adams?! Dude I love your music, but you're a bit of an A**hole

Old
02-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Originally Posted by srobinson View Post
He was taken down on a break away against Toronto and ended up crashing into the boards. I want to say it was early November or late October. He ended up tearing rib cartilage but still played hurt. It took him awhile to heal because he didn't sit out.
Playoff Soldier

Hope he didn't suffer any permanent damage because of that though.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote