HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

76ers' Basketball (NBA)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-11-2011, 08:28 PM
  #1
Start Leighton*
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 3,099
vCash: 500
76ers' Basketball (NBA)

The future.




Expecting this thread to die pretty quickly but since a couple of us have had some discussions in the obsequious thread figured I would start a thread.


Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 03-24-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Start Leighton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 08:29 PM
  #2
PhilaFlyers
Registered User
 
PhilaFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 8,239
vCash: 300
Can't watch the games here at school but they're definitely heading in the right direction

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 08:30 PM
  #3
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Monster win tonight. If this team could get a real center or a more consistent version of Meeks they'd be pretty legit.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 08:33 PM
  #4
Start Leighton*
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 3,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Monster win tonight. If this team could get a real center or a more consistent version of Meeks they'd be pretty legit.
Hawes and Speights have their moments and are both young. I don't think they will ever be dominate players but I think they could be quality starters. Holiday really impresses I really think he is on his way to becoming an all star player.

Don't look now but the Sixers are 25-28 a lot better than expected.

Start Leighton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 08:33 PM
  #5
zarley zelepukin
Registered User
 
zarley zelepukin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Norristown, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,614
vCash: 500
There's no winning a championship in the NBA unless you have a superstar, unless maybe you have several all-stars. Good win tonight but I don't see what the team's plan is for winning an actual title.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 08:36 PM
  #6
JagerPuck
Registered User
 
JagerPuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: the 215
Country: United States
Posts: 2,588
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
They could win 50 games and I'd still find the NBA intolerable.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 08:38 PM
  #7
Start Leighton*
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 3,099
vCash: 500
Doug Collins said he went up to Popovich after the game and said he was going to call him to ask him how to improve the Sixers since they won't see each other until the finals anyway.

Start Leighton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 08:38 PM
  #8
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,443
vCash: 500
Turner has been disappointing.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 08:39 PM
  #9
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?
 
Roo Mad Bro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,705
vCash: 500
Nice win tonight against the best team in the NBA (record wise).

Jrue played awesome.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 08:41 PM
  #10
Start Leighton*
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 3,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Turner has been disappointing.
He seems scared almost. He hesitates to shoot the ball and refuses to drive which is the best part of his game.

Start Leighton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 08:45 PM
  #11
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.
 
Phileeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 4,747
vCash: 500
Team is definitely headed in the right direction. Consistensy is the key though. You'd like to see this kind of defensive effort night in and night out, they'd probably be well above .500 if so, but they're young and they'll have their growing pains.

I definitely want to see how Holiday continues to grow, as well as the other young guys. I'm still not 100% sold on Turner, but he's shown flashes and he's a Rookie so I give him more leniency than say Iguodala who is frustrating at times and either hot or cold, and he was pretty chilly tonight offensively.

I also want to see Holiday shine so I can say, "In Philly it's a Hell-of-a-day with Halladay and Holiday." Yeah, different teams/sports and it's pretty geeky but I like it

Phileeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 08:51 PM
  #12
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Turner has been disappointing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xchrisx159 View Post
He seems scared almost. He hesitates to shoot the ball and refuses to drive which is the best part of his game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
Team is definitely headed in the right direction. Consistensy is the key though. You'd like to see this kind of defensive effort night in and night out, they'd probably be well above .500 if so, but they're young and they'll have their growing pains.

I definitely want to see how Holiday continues to grow, as well as the other young guys. I'm still not 100% sold on Turner, but he's shown flashes and he's a Rookie so I give him more leniency than say Iguodala who is frustrating at times and either hot or cold, and he was pretty chilly tonight offensively.

I also want to see Holiday shine so I can say, "In Philly it's a Hell-of-a-day with Halladay and Holiday." Yeah, different teams/sports and it's pretty geeky but I like it
Turner looked bad his first year at Ohio State too. He seems to just need longer to adapt than you'd like. Kid's looking a lot better the past couple weeks.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 08:53 PM
  #13
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
There's no winning a championship in the NBA unless you have a superstar, unless maybe you have several all-stars. Good win tonight but I don't see what the team's plan is for winning an actual title.
Let these kids flourish, then sign a big FA when Holiday is a great PG, Brand is still a good PF, and Iggy is still a great swiss army knife. Nobody builds entirely through the draft anymore.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 08:58 PM
  #14
Start Leighton*
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 3,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Let these kids flourish, then sign a big FA when Holiday is a great PG, Brand is still a good PF, and Iggy is still a great swiss army knife. Nobody builds entirely through the draft anymore.
They don't have the cap to do that. What I think happens is Iggy gets traded for picks. When Brand's contract is up and Iggy is off the books they will have some serious money and can throw a max contract at somebody. In a couple years I think the team looks like this.

Holiday
Turner
Young
xx/Speights or Hawes
Speights or Hawes/xx

Lou will be the 6th man.

The xx is a big name FA.

Start Leighton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 09:10 PM
  #15
PhilaFlyers
Registered User
 
PhilaFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 8,239
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by xchrisx159 View Post


The xx is a big name FA.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 09:16 PM
  #16
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.
 
Phileeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 4,747
vCash: 500
Clippers in danger of losing to the Cavs in OT. Will the streak end!?

Phileeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 09:20 PM
  #17
zarley zelepukin
Registered User
 
zarley zelepukin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Norristown, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xchrisx159 View Post
They don't have the cap to do that. What I think happens is Iggy gets traded for picks. When Brand's contract is up and Iggy is off the books they will have some serious money and can throw a max contract at somebody. In a couple years I think the team looks like this.

Holiday
Turner
Young
xx/Speights or Hawes
Speights or Hawes/xx

Lou will be the 6th man.

The xx is a big name FA.
That big name FA was supposed to be Brand. It will be tough to get the cap space and identify the right guy but that's only phase one. Then they actually have to convince him to come here. The Sixers don't seem to be a real attractive destination for NBA stars lately. Brand only came because he's from the area.

To me, it seems more feasible to draft that guy. And there are obviously no guarantees there and we'd need a top 5 pick probably. This is just why the NBA is so hard to follow if your team isn't already elite.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 09:23 PM
  #18
Start Leighton*
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 3,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
That big name FA was supposed to be Brand. It will be tough to get the cap space and identify the right guy but that's only phase one. Then they actually have to convince him to come here. The Sixers don't seem to be a real attractive destination for NBA stars lately. Brand only came because he's from the area.

To me, it seems more feasible to draft that guy. And there are obviously no guarantees there and we'd need a top 5 pick probably. This is just why the NBA is so hard to follow if your team isn't already elite.
In a couple years players will want to come to Sixers. Nobody wants to go their now because they are young and are still rebuilding and nobody wants to be part of a rebuild.

Start Leighton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 09:36 PM
  #19
Justified
Moderator
Amaro out
 
Justified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 28,674
vCash: 673
they are one of the few teams in the league that defend on a regular basis. But in order to win a title in the nba you need a superstar. they are fun to watch.

Justified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 09:49 PM
  #20
CantSeeColors
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Seychelles
Posts: 5,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xchrisx159 View Post
They don't have the cap to do that. What I think happens is Iggy gets traded for picks. When Brand's contract is up and Iggy is off the books they will have some serious money and can throw a max contract at somebody. In a couple years I think the team looks like this.

Holiday
Turner
Young
xx/Speights or Hawes
Speights or Hawes/xx

Lou will be the 6th man.

The xx is a big name FA.
They have over 11 million coming off the books this summer in Kapono and Songalia and another 6 million next summer in Nocioni. That's basically a max contract right there during the summer that Dwight Howard is a free agent. Who knows what the new CBA does, but that's still $17 million coming off. That doesn't include the smaller contracts that expire either, like Hawes, Battie, Meeks.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:02 PM
  #21
KevinLin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,478
vCash: 500
Been watching them all year. Been kind of quiet on here since I stopped playing TH. But I have been enjoying this sixers team all year.

Jrue is still terribly inconsistent but this was a great game for him after 4 or 5 bad ones. They wont have any cap space till Brand and Igoudala expire. But I am okay with it. By the time they have space Jrue and Turner will be entering their prime.

Hawes/Speights are not an answer at center. One option that I love out there. If Melo is traded the sixers have to go hard after Nene. Preferably giving up LouWill in some deal. Lou Will is the real problem with this team. He scores but his attitude and ballhoging stunts Jrue and Turner's development.

Turner hasnt had a great season but he hasnt been as bad as people have made him out to be. He has been a solid basketball player. But he hasnt been a #2 pick yet. He's provided defense, rebounding and playmaking. The scoring hasnt come yet but he's displayed the underlying skills to be a good player.

I would really try and work something around Lou Will+Speights/Hawes for a center.

KevinLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:07 PM
  #22
Mgkibbles
Registered User
 
Mgkibbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gilbertsville, Pa
Posts: 2,024
vCash: 500
The Sixers still don't have a future go to scorer. Its great they have a nice deep team, but they're still a very, very long way from contending in the Playoffs.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:11 PM
  #23
Brock Anton
Deal with it.
 
Brock Anton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Westerly, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 12,587
vCash: 500
Canes fan coming in peace, misplaced Sixers fan in Celtics country.

I'm pleasantly surprised at how we've been playing so far this year. We play the great teams very well (Boston, San Antonio etc.). Tonight's win was huge for this team going forward, it gives us the confidence to go up against the likes of the Celtics, Heat and Magic and expect to be competitive. Jrue Holiday, finally we have a point guard since Iverson. We should all thank the 16 other teams that passed him up back in the 2009 draft. Elton Brand hasn't been bad this season, but still his contract is a burden to us. If we can find a team dumb enough to unload that contract on, we should do it. With Collins, I notice our defense is greatly improved, much better than the past few years.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:12 PM
  #24
Start Leighton*
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 3,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
They have over 11 million coming off the books this summer in Kapono and Songalia and another 6 million next summer in Nocioni. That's basically a max contract right there during the summer that Dwight Howard is a free agent. Who knows what the new CBA does, but that's still $17 million coming off. That doesn't include the smaller contracts that expire either, like Hawes, Battie, Meeks.
The problem with that is we are 7 million into the hard cap. So even if we clear 17 mil we can only spend 10 mil of that because of the 7 mil into the hard cap. Plus Young needs a new contract.

Start Leighton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:14 PM
  #25
KevinLin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,478
vCash: 500
Also to those who want to trade Brand. At this point he is a negative trade asset. But he is a positive asset to the team. So really there is no reason to trade him. But everything really depends on the new CBA and how everything is structured.

KevinLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.