HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MIKE FISHER: a scouting report

Old
02-10-2011, 12:25 PM
koreaboy

vCash: 500
MIKE FISHER: a scouting report

congrats on picking up mike fisher from us today. there are definite mixed feelings in ottawa about this move. fisher was a VERY popular player here and a core member of this team for a lot of years. a lot of people are going to be very upset that we moved him. here is what you are getting:

mike fisher is a top notch human being who can always be counted on to be a great teammate, and a hard worker. very religious, a quiet leader, lots of energy. it all starts with his skating. he is a very powerful skater with a wide stance and long strides. at his very best he is an excellent forechecker- using his speed to get in on defencemen and pound them. very, very strong. a load down low who isn't nice to play against. can be used in a checking role to control big C's. very responsible defensively and can definitely be used on a no.1 PK unit. excellent shot, especially his wrister. very powerful, but not very accurate and he's never really been used as a "shooter" on this team. good stickhandler and can do dangerous things off the rush, but he's really not a very creative player and there are stretches when he's pretty invisible offensively. not a fantastic passer or setup guy. when he isn't contributing offensively though, he is still doing lots of other things to make himself a useful player- the physicality and the defensive awareness. probably late in his prime right now, he really is best suited to be a superelite no.3 C a-la jared staal in pittsburgh. we have been playing him as a no.2 C but with his lack of creativity and consistent offense, that probably isn't his best spot. can probably be counted on to score 20-25 goals for at least the next couple of years and contribute on both special teams. you probably wouldnt want him on your 1st PP unit though.

he's been a physical player with shoulder issues recently- especially this year. that could be a real danger spot for you guys. he has some "hard miles" on him playing such a physical role for so many years, but if he stays healthy you have acquired a great team guy who skates well and does a lot of things well. i wish fishy nothing but the best. i will miss him alot.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 12:29 PM
koreaboy

oh- and a $4.25mil cap hit for 2 more years. probably about $1.25mil too much for what he brings.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Step
GO SENS GO

vCash: 50
Extremely well said. I would agree with Koreaboy's assessment. He had a career-year last season and the rumor is that he's playing hurt this season.

You guys have acquired the classiest guy in the league that works his ass off at every occasion. HUGE fan fav here in Ottawa, we'll miss him tons.

Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 12:41 PM
sighthndlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by koreaboy View Post
oh- and a $4.25mil cap hit for 2 more years. probably about $1.25mil too much for what he brings.
Interesting you say that, because he's actually going to cost us $4 and then $3, or $1.50 less than his cap hit. And we don't care nearly as much about the cap hit as the actual $$.

sighthndlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2011, 01:43 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

hockey stuff seems covered there. Non-hockey:

He's been the sens #1 ambassador in the community for years. Stepped up even more once redden left. He's present at almost any sens community project, and makes huge contributions to the ottawa hospital and the children's hospital of eastern ontario. Look up the elgin fraser story to find out what kind of human mike is. Growing up, my school used to do a pancake breakfast with sens players for charity. From his rookie season mike showed up to every one of them.

He's a fan favorite too. Girls like him. Tons of fisher jerseys are sold in ottawa, most to 10-25 year old girls. His play on the ice makes him a fan favorite for those of us who arnt too concerned about his looks.

Then there's Carrie Underwood. Dont really need to explain much here. She's actually a hockey fan, and frequented sens games. You can bet she will be at a ton of preds home games as well.

I know all this doesnt matter as much to you diehard hockey fans, but it means a lot to the organization and the growth of the fanbase. You guys got a good player on the ice who will fit into your ideology very well, but you also got a great guy and a very marketable guy who will help this franchise a lot off the ice as well.

02-10-2011, 11:28 PM
Bobby Blowhard

Everything has been covered but I just wanted to pop by to reiterate Fishers super human strength and toughness. It really is freakish sometimes. You will see him do strength related things that absolutely boggle the mind. He is without a doubt one of the strongest players in the league. His wide skating skating stance is key, but his strength related balance is really impressive too as its not uncommon to see Fish bounce oncoming players while being totally off kilter himself.

His fighting skills are underrated only because he opts not to use them very often. His good off ice friends Chris Neil must have taught him well. If he chooses not to end fights with violent wrestling tactics, he shows good stamina, an ability to force his way through jersey holds late in a fight, throws equally as strong with both left and right and has shown the ability to take a punch.

The guy can be a wrecking ball when he wants to be. If you have the luxury to use him in a playoff role as an energy shut down player he will quickly become a series altering storyline and youll have his name on your back in a game or two.

Take a pinch of Jordin Tootoo, add a cup of Ryan Kesler, a tablespoon of Dustin Brown sprinkle a liberal amount of Gary Roberts and serve with a warm bowl of Darren Helm and you have a Mike Fisher. Ohh, and don't forget Anderson Cooper's eyes... Your girlfriend already thinks less of you and Fish's plane hasn't even landed at Nashville Intl. yet.

enjoy the guy and treat him well, he deserves it.

Last edited by Bobby Blowhard: 02-10-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Bobby Blowhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 12:03 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
Then there's Carrie Underwood. Dont really need to explain much here. She's actually a hockey fan, and frequented sens games. You can bet she will be at a ton of preds home games as well.
Yeah she went to a ton of Preds game before she got with Fisher. I've run into her at the arena a couple of times, and promptly stumbled over my own feet.

Thanks for the reports guys. We don't get a lot of Sens games around here without CI

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 08:03 AM
kakemono

^
I always felt bad for the celebs like Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood when they were shown on the big screen b/c inevitably, they became swamped.

I can't imagine it makes for a fun time

kakemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Fisher is a good player BUT he peaked for us a long time ago. He probably on of the best 3rd line centres in the league but struggles as a 2nd line centre. He doesn't have the vision required to make his linemates better. I have been wanting the sens to trade him for a while not because he is not good but because he was playing out of position and being payed too much. He will only have positive effects for Nashville because he is the type of player any team would want for the playoffs but when it comes to the regular season he is very streaky. I hope with the change of scenery he takes his game to another level.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
Fisher is a good player BUT he peaked for us a long time ago. He probably on of the best 3rd line centres in the league but struggles as a 2nd line centre. He doesn't have the vision required to make his linemates better. I have been wanting the sens to trade him for a while not because he is not good but because he was playing out of position and being payed too much. He will only have positive effects for Nashville because he is the type of player any team would want for the playoffs but when it comes to the regular season he is very streaky. I hope with the change of scenery he takes his game to another level.
You mean last year? When he put up career numbers in goals, points and PP goals? He's not doing too well this year, but name me a Senator that is.

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 12:54 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

He also has a 105mph slap shot, and an absolute laser beam of a wrist shot.

His best years in Ottawa were with Schaefer on his line post-lockout, and Kovalev on his line last year. Both are/were good playmakers. So I hope you guys have a good playmaking winger to put with him.

But like has been said, he's probably the most north-south player in the NHL, with tunnel vision so bad its not even funny.

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 01:04 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftwin View Post
He also has a 105mph slap shot, and an absolute laser beam of a wrist shot.

His best years in Ottawa were with Schaefer on his line post-lockout, and Kovalev on his line last year. Both are/were good playmakers. So I hope you guys have a good playmaking winger to put with him.

But like has been said, he's probably the most north-south player in the NHL, with tunnel vision so bad its not even funny.
You guys advertise that as a bad thing, but for us, it's a very good thing. We have plenty of playmakers, but very few shooters. We also have a several guys that get lost trying to play East\West...if Fisher can play north\south like say, Hornqvist, he should reap some reward from it.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Fisher Is Injured

I don't know if this has been mentioned at all. Just a heads up.
I think you guys will be more than happy once you see what this guy brings game in and game out. BUT, before you make any judgements you have have to realize that he might still be seriously injured right now (upper body) which has been keeping him from any physical play/hard shots which is pretty much what he is all about.
He should impress right away but you will not see the full impact he can have until he is healthy.

It seems like he is getting a little better but i don't know how far away he is from a full recovery.

Jason York on the team 1200 here in ottawa said yesterday that he saw the injury (he suffered from himself while he was playing) and couldn't believe that Fish was still playing. Pretty sure he was saying he has a lot of scar tissue in his chest.

Once he IS 100% though, he will improve your team drastically, especially in the playoffs. Good luck guys.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 04:10 PM
senatoilers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
You guys advertise that as a bad thing, but for us, it's a very good thing. We have plenty of playmakers, but very few shooters. We also have a several guys that get lost trying to play East\West...if Fisher can play north\south like say, Hornqvist, he should reap some reward from it.
It's also not really true. A lot of HF Sens fans are just so enamored with Spezza that they think if a player doesn't throw blind spinorama back passes out into the slot then they aren't creative.

Fisher has underrated playmaking ability. In 06-07, he put up 26 assists in 68 games with Peter Schaefer (12G) and Chris Neil (12G) as his wingers.

Schaefer's career high in goals is 20 (which he scored on Fisher's wing), and Neil's is 16 (which he also scored on Fisher's wing).

Foligno scored 17 goals in his rookie season when he spent the majority of his time on Fisher's wing, and Ryan Shannon scored 8 goals in 35 games on Fisher's wing that same season (Shannon averages 8 goals / 82 game season over his 233 game NHL career).

Needless to say, Fisher hasn't exactly had the greatest wingers during his tenure in Ottawa.

HF Sens fans are prone to confirmation bias. They read something posted on here... then they wait for it to happen in the game and confirm it as a recurring issue. A perfect example is the whining about Fisher blasting his hard wrist shot into the goalie's chest constantly... He's got a 10.9% career shooting % (compared to ovechkin's 12%, Zetterberg's 11.3%, Kane's 11%), if anything he should be shooting more.

Trust me, a lot of the complaints you are hearing about Fisher are coming from HF Spezza fanboys who have been desperately scapegoating everyone for Spezza's gaffes.

As an example, the consensus on the Sens board was to absolve Spezza of all blame for Crosby's first goal in this game: http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2009030144

No joke.

senatoilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom of the System View Post
You mean last year? When he put up career numbers in goals, points and PP goals? He's not doing too well this year, but name me a Senator that is.
Statistically last season the team had a bad season also. We had a 11 game win steak that hid a lot of holes and got us into the playoffs.. He got more playing time last season because of injuries and only managed to increase his career highs by a few points. The management in Ottawa really hoped he would become a second line centre and he was only ever average at best. The one thing that has plagued him throughout his career is inconsistency. He has a hard shot but it's not accurate. He doesn't make his linemate better either. He's the type of player who puts his head down and goes all out but misses out on opportunities. He might be better on the wing as a forchecker, he's tough as hell, but as hard as he tried you couldn't count on him for offence. It comes but not like the average 2nd line centre. A change of scenery will probably do him good.

Old
02-11-2011, 05:24 PM
senatoilers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylizer1 View Post
Statistically last season the team had a bad season also. We had a 11 game win steak that hid a lot of holes. He got more playing time last season because of injuries and only managed to increase his career highs by a few points. The management in Ottawa really hoped he would become a second line centre and he was only ever average at best. The one thing that has plagued him throughout his career is inconsistency. He has a hard shot but it's not accurate. He does't make his linemate better either. He's the type of player who puts his head down and goes all out but misses out on opportunities. He might be better on the wing as a forchecker, he's tough as hell, but as hard as he tried you couldn't count on him for offence. It comes but not like the average 2nd line centre. A change of scenery will probably do him good.
Another example Fisher "flaws" that Spezza fanboys have concocted. Apparently other 50pt players score their points in a uniform distribution over the season. Whereas Fisher has the unfortunate characteristic of sometimes having a multi-point game or going on a "hot" or "cold" streak, and therefore is "inconsistent". If only we had a consistent 50pt scorer! Too bad 50pt scorers are inconsistent by nature.

Furthermore, Fisher put up most of his points prior to the 11 game win streak last season. Check his game log. Spezza fanboys don't really bother with facts when trying to bash Fisher though.

Old
02-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Stylizer1
BoomBapOriginalRap

Quote:
Originally Posted by senatoilers View Post
It's also not really true. A lot of HF Sens fans are just so enamored with Spezza that they think if a player doesn't throw blind spinorama back passes out into the slot then they aren't creative.

Fisher has underrated playmaking ability. In 06-07, he put up 26 assists in 68 games with Peter Schaefer (12G) and Chris Neil (12G) as his wingers.

Schaefer's career high in goals is 20 (which he scored on Fisher's wing), and Neil's is 16 (which he also scored on Fisher's wing).

Foligno scored 17 goals in his rookie season when he spent the majority of his time on Fisher's wing, and Ryan Shannon scored 8 goals in 35 games on Fisher's wing that same season (Shannon averages 8 goals / 82 game season over his 233 game NHL career).

Needless to say, Fisher hasn't exactly had the greatest wingers during his tenure in Ottawa.

HF Sens fans are prone to confirmation bias. They read something posted on here... then they wait for it to happen in the game and confirm it as a recurring issue. A perfect example is the whining about Fisher blasting his hard wrist shot into the goalie's chest constantly... He's got a 10.9% career shooting % (compared to ovechkin's 12%, Zetterberg's 11.3%, Kane's 11%), if anything he should be shooting more.

Trust me, a lot of the complaints you are hearing about Fisher are coming from HF Spezza fanboys who have been desperately scapegoating everyone for Spezza's gaffes.

As an example, the consensus on the Sens board was to absolve Spezza of all blame for Crosby's first goal in this game: http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2009030144

No joke.
You are so full of ****. When Fisher struggles we put Alfie on his line.

In 06/07 we had the best line in the League. I would hope he would have a good season at least.

Old
02-11-2011, 06:36 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:

No joke.
Wow. I'd love to hear arguments on how that isn't Spezza's fault because I can't fathom how the blame could be placed anywhere else.

Seems like this is a touchy subject among Sens fans

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 11:23 PM
senatoilers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Wow. I'd love to hear arguments on how that isn't Spezza's fault because I can't fathom how the blame could be placed anywhere else.

Seems like this is a touchy subject among Sens fans
They blame Volchenkov for leaving the zone too early and not being "creative" enough to understand the magic that Spezza was weaving. I kid you not.

Old
02-17-2011, 08:51 AM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
They blame Volchenkov for leaving the zone too early and not being "creative" enough to understand the magic that Spezza was weaving. I kid you not.
Has there ever been a thread anywhere at anytime where you dont trash Spezza? and conversely light candles to the Fisher shrine?

we ALL get it. you hate Spezza, you love Fisher. We get it under your current alias and we got it under your previous two.

You are in large part the reason people started to attack Fisher on our boards since everyone was so sick of you praising Fisher entirely at Spezza's expense.
"Fisher scores!!! Yeah!! woohooo see Spezza sucks!"

that gets tired everyday all year.

Good luck Nashville im pulling for you to make the playoffs in the 16h spot then make it at least to the conference finals

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote