HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill XI

Closed Thread

Old
02-11-2011, 11:31 PM
LombardiTool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadInjury View Post
Before anyone gets excited about what Barry claims, someone please point me to a trade rumor of his that has ever turned out to be accurate.

And saying he breaks news on injuries or signings doesn't count. I give him credit where it's due, but to the best of my recollection he's never nailed a trade rumor, although he's made many.

Plus, even with this Hemsky rumor, Barry's not the first person to claim a deal was being discussed for him.
Thanks for ruining all of the excitement I build up from Barry's posts!!!

Old
02-11-2011, 11:39 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadInjury View Post
Before anyone gets excited about what Barry claims, someone please point me to a trade rumor of his that has ever turned out to be accurate.

And saying he breaks news on injuries or signings doesn't count. I give him credit where it's due, but to the best of my recollection he's never nailed a trade rumor, although he's made many.

Plus, even with this Hemsky rumor, Barry's not the first person to claim a deal was being discussed for him.
Gotta love his last tweet:

"If losses continue to mount for L.A., could be SELLERS at the deadline with juicy assets. Handzus, Williams, Mitchell (?)... and maybe Poni?"
19 minutes ago via web

Ummmm....they're 5-0-2 in there last 7 games. That's 12 of a possble 14 points. What an attention *****.

Old
02-11-2011, 11:46 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
Gotta love his last tweet:

"If losses continue to mount for L.A., could be SELLERS at the deadline with juicy assets. Handzus, Williams, Mitchell (?)... and maybe Poni?"
19 minutes ago via web

Ummmm....they're 5-0-2 in there last 7 games. That's 12 of a possble 14 points. What an attention *****.
I was actually going to twitter him back the same thing, but figured I'd just keep my mouth shut. LOL Glad I'm not the only one that instantly thought "losses continue to mount"? Has he watched the last 7 games?

Old
02-12-2011, 12:06 AM
Tonellisghost
Baby Face Killer!

I have heard the same we will be sellers at the deadline rumors and believe them to be true. I know that we are willing to move Zues and Poni and that there is interest in Zues from a few teams one of them being Tampa Bay.

But consider us as sellers, it also means that we will be buying regardless of what the return might be. You can't do one without the other. In this coming draft it would be great to have a second first round pick giving us the ability to move up into the top ten might be a critical thing.

I still look for us to make smaller more well thought out moves than us going after any big names regardless of how we are doing in the standings.

Who knows?

Old
02-12-2011, 12:13 AM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

vCash: 567
Well Tonell said a small move and Hemsky would be big so I call BS on Barry.

Old
02-12-2011, 12:17 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I have heard the same we will be sellers at the deadline rumors and believe them to be true. I know that we are willing to move Zues and Poni and that there is interest in Zues from a few teams one of them being Tampa Bay.

But consider us as sellers, it also means that we will be buying regardless of what the return might be. You can't do one without the other. In this coming draft it would be great to have a second first round pick giving us the ability to move up into the top ten might be a critical thing.

I still look for us to make smaller more well thought out moves than us going after any big names regardless of how we are doing in the standings.

Who knows?
Moving Zeus would allow Lotkionov to play at his actual position, I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing, I also wouldn't consider that to be a sign that we are giving up...

Old
02-12-2011, 12:18 AM
Orenji

Why would we be sellers?

That makes no sense. Selling main roster players for a draft pick is basically going against EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING, Lombardi has been preaching for the past year.

If our biggest move is moving a player for a 1st round draft pick, and we get no Top 6 help, Lombardi is going to get roasted.

A team that has gone 5-0-2 in their last seven and in the midst of a playoff push don't become sellers. Even the Avalanche, who are five points behind us and one less game to play, are probably going to be buying defenseman and a goalie.

Lombardi said on TSN a few days ago that we were looking for a Top 6 player with skill. A loss to the freaking Penguins in OT where we got a point on the road isn't going to change us from BUYERS to SELLERS.

So if we beat the Capitals, do we suddenly become Buyers again?

Old
02-12-2011, 12:24 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
Why would we be sellers?

That makes no sense. Selling main roster players for a draft pick is basically going against EVERYTHING, and I mean EVERYTHING, Lombardi has been preaching for the past year.

If our biggest move is moving a player for a 1st round draft pick, and we get no Top 6 help, Lombardi is going to get roasted.

A team that has gone 5-0-2 in their last seven and in the midst of a playoff push don't become sellers. Even the Avalanche, who are five points behind us and one less game to play, are probably going to be buying defenseman and a goalie.

Lombardi said on TSN a few days ago that we were looking for a Top 6 player with skill. A loss to the freaking Penguins in OT where we got a point on the road isn't going to change us from BUYERS to SELLERS.

So if we beat the Capitals, do we suddenly become Buyers again?
Depends on what you mean by sellers,

If we trade Zeus, does that mean we are sellers? Not to me, if we trade Williams, for a pick, then yea, we are sellers, but not Zeus, not when we have a homegrown replacement that seems ready to step in at his natural position.

Old
02-12-2011, 12:27 AM
Orenji

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Depends on what you mean by sellers,

If we trade Zeus, does that mean we are sellers? Not to me, if we trade Williams, for a pick, then yea, we are sellers, but not Zeus, not when we have a homegrown replacement that seems ready to step in at his natural position.
Yeah, we could trade Zeus, but we shouldn't be going after draft picks. We're supposed to be past that stage. We should be trading assets for people to make us better now - not later.

How do you think the team will respond if we trade away starting players for freaking draft picks when they're still in a playoff hunt? Do you think they'll be happy with that?

Old
02-12-2011, 12:28 AM
Tonellisghost
Baby Face Killer!

How would our moving Poniboy be a mistake that could cost us anything? Has he been a key piece to the team's ability to win? He is a fringe player who is gone at the end of the season, if we deal him we get something in return for him as opposed to letting him walk for nothing. Same can be said for the rapidly slowing and less productive Zues. Lose them both for naught or move them allowing for players like Loktionov etc to step in and begin their reign as Kings. Make room for Parse to come in prove himself.

Selling from where we are may not only be a smart thing to do but not selling some of our vets might also be a very dumb thing to do.

I don't know, maybe I see things differently.

Old
02-12-2011, 12:31 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

I thought Zeus had a NTC or NMC?

Old
02-12-2011, 12:32 AM
Tonellisghost
Baby Face Killer!

Oh and as for dealing for picks being a bad move all I can say is huh? Take a look at the constant cup teams, they will deal for picks/prospects any chance they get. Its part of being a healthy strong contending team. This years picks should show dividends two to three years from now. We are chock full of solid picks three of which should step in next year and be good to special players and then the following year should net us a couple more and so on.

Its always a good thing.

Old
02-12-2011, 12:33 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Yeah, we could trade Zeus, but we shouldn't be going after draft picks. We're supposed to be past that stage. We should be trading assets for people to make us better now - not later.

How do you think the team will respond if we trade away starting players for freaking draft picks when they're still in a playoff hunt? Do you think they'll be happy with that?
It all depends on the grand plan, if you plan on keeping Zeus, then trading him for a draft pick doesn't work, I don't think they are planning on that, so yea, I can see a draft pick and a prospect for Zeus knowing Lotkionov is there.

Also with Williams, moving him for a pick and prospect and calling up Moller, is that giving in? I don't know...I don't believe Moller will be with the team or make the team etc, but they might think differently, if they feel he can take Williams spot, and be effective, then yea, they move Williams for whatever they can get.

Like I said, it all depends on your definition of what a "seller" is

Old
02-12-2011, 12:33 AM
Orenji

Quote:
How would our moving Poniboy be a mistake that could cost us anything? Has he been a key piece to the team's ability to win? He is a fringe player who is gone at the end of the season, if we deal him we get something in return for him as opposed to letting him walk for nothing. Same can be said for the rapidly slowing and less productive Zues. Lose them both for naught or move them allowing for players like Loktionov etc to step in and begin their reign as Kings. Make room for Parse to come in prove himself.

Selling from where we are may not only be a smart thing to do but not selling some of our vets might also be a very dumb thing to do.

Moving some of our assets away is fine, but we still need to be buyers as well. We are log jammed with mediocre left wing talent; Parse, Poni, Sturm, Richardson, etc. If we want to go after a top winger, one of those could easily go the other way for a pick.

I'm fine with trading some of the depth talent we have for picks if the salary we clear up goes towards buying a player who can help us right now in the Top 6.

I'm saying I will be mad, and most will probably be mad, if all we do at the deadline is send away Poni and something else away for a high draft pick. That's what teams like the Senators and Oilers are doing; we shouldn't be having a deadline like a rebuilding team.

If we can balance selling some of our depth away and buying a piece or two to help us now, I'll be fine.

I just find it weird that people like Barry were talking about us being buyers weeks ago when we had gone 2-9 in our past eleven and now say we might be sellers after a stretch where we went 5-0-2 and gained 12 out of a possible 14 points.

But moving Mitchell and Williams should be out of the question. How the **** could you justify that? That is a spit in the face of all the fans. You don't just give up on a team just because they're not in the playoffs right now.

If you look at the standings, we're just a few wins away from being a point or two out of the Pacific lead.

Old
02-12-2011, 12:37 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
I thought Zeus had a NTC or NMC?
Handzus has a NMC.

Old
02-12-2011, 12:41 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Moving some of our assets away is fine, but we still need to be buyers as well. We are log jammed with mediocre left wing talent; Parse, Poni, Sturm, Richardson, etc. If we want to go after a top winger, one of those could easily go the other way for a pick.

I'm fine with trading some of the depth talent we have for picks if the salary we clear up goes towards buying a player who can help us right now in the Top 6.

I'm saying I will be mad, and most will probably be mad, if all we do at the deadline is send away Poni and something else away for a high draft pick. That's what teams like the Senators and Oilers are doing; we shouldn't be having a deadline like a rebuilding team.

If we can balance selling some of our depth away and buying a piece or two to help us now, I'll be fine.

I just find it weird that people like Barry were talking about us being buyers weeks ago when we had gone 2-9 in our past eleven and now say we might be sellers after a stretch where we went 5-0-2 and gained 12 out of a possible 14 points.

But moving Mitchell and Williams should be out of the question. How the **** could you justify that? That is a spit in the face of all the fans. You don't just give up on a team just because they're not in the playoffs right now.

If you look at the standings, we're just a few wins away from being a point or two out of the Pacific lead.
I'd be ecstatic if we can get a high draft pick for Ponikarovsky.

Trading Mitchell I doubt you can get anything for him but I don't think he should be traded either....

Old
02-12-2011, 01:07 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

Throwing some names out there for the sake of discussion:

POTENTIAL TARGETS
Marian Gaborik
David Booth
Ales Hemsky
Thomas Vanek
Jakub Voracek
Dustin Penner
Milan Hejduk
Jason Pominville
Tuomo Ruutu
Brad Boyes
Andrew Brunette
Nikolai Kulemin
Nik Zherdev
Kris Versteeg
Kristian Huselius
Jussi Jokinen
Nathan Horton
Jason Arnott
Tim Connolly
Curtis Glencross
Michael Ryder
Stephen Weiss
Devin Setoguchi
Patrik Berglund
Milan Michalek
Niklas Hagman
PA Parenteau
Cory Stillman

PIPE DREAM
Rick Nash

POTENTIAL TRADEBAIT
Alexei Ponikarovsky
Wayne Simmonds (?)
Oscar Moller
Slava Voynov
Colten Teubert
Jake Muzzin
Brandon Kozun
Jordan Weal
Jeff Zatkoff
All draft picks

Old
02-12-2011, 01:28 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Why would the Rangers trade Gaborik? They're in a playoff spot as of right now.

Old
02-12-2011, 01:31 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I would trade Simmonds and Teubert for Hemsky. I am not a fan of the deal, but I would do it. Hemsky is a terrific playmaker, and could be a huge spark for Kopitar.

"I think part of his game is hes over aggressive at times, which I like. Well tame that. Id rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Old
02-12-2011, 01:44 AM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I would trade Simmonds and Teubert for Hemsky. I am not a fan of the deal, but I would do it. Hemsky is a terrific playmaker, and could be a huge spark for Kopitar.
His concussion concerns me. It was recent and one could argue that the Oilers' medical staff blew it by letting him play through it until he was hurt again in the Wild game. It looks as though he suffered a concussion games before that. For a player to suffer that injury so recently may mean he is serious damaged goods. Now, Teubert is not worth much. Simmonds...no freaking way.

Old
02-12-2011, 01:52 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
His concussion concerns me. It was recent and one could argue that the Oilers' medical staff blew it by letting him play through it until he was hurt again in the Wild game. It looks as though he suffered a concussion games before that. For a player to suffer that injury so recently may mean he is serious damaged goods. Now, Teubert is not worth much. Simmonds...no freaking way.
I suspect Dean feels the same and is waiting for other options to arise, but I have a feeling if something doesn't present itself, a deal like this is exactly what he will settle for. I am concerned as well, but he is currently the best player on that team, and is reasonably signed. It could very well turn into a Williams situation times two, and I am prepared to take risks now. Simmonds and Teubert are replaceable commodities and the value is there. I would hate to do it, I love Simmonds, and especially the relationship he and Doughty have developed, but we have to keep our eye on the goal.

Old
02-12-2011, 02:00 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:

Addition by subtraction, perhaps. Poni is wasting a roster space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Deitell View Post
Throwing some names out there for the sake of discussion:

POTENTIAL TARGETS
Marian Gaborik
David Booth
Ales Hemsky
Thomas Vanek
Jakub Voracek
Dustin Penner
Milan Hejduk
Jason Pominville
Tuomo Ruutu
Brad Boyes
Andrew Brunette
Nikolai Kulemin
Nik Zherdev
Kris Versteeg
Kristian Huselius
Jussi Jokinen
Nathan Horton
Jason Arnott
Tim Connolly
Curtis Glencross
Michael Ryder
Stephen Weiss
Devin Setoguchi
Patrik Berglund
Milan Michalek
Niklas Hagman
PA Parenteau
Cory Stillman

PIPE DREAM
Rick Nash

POTENTIAL TRADEBAIT
Alexei Ponikarovsky
Wayne Simmonds (?)
Oscar Moller
Slava Voynov
Colten Teubert
Jake Muzzin
Brandon Kozun
Jordan Weal
Jeff Zatkoff
All draft picks
Is Kovalev on the trade block?

Why is Setoguchi on that list?

Old
02-12-2011, 02:16 AM
KingLB

Trading Poni right now is no big deal, but trading Zues you might as well call it a day....

While Poni isn't that important and I could see him being traded. You trade a player who's value skyrockets in the playoffs in Zues, and replace him with Loki who hasn't played any center in the NHL yet is crazy...Stoll will have to take every PK faceoff.....

Old
02-12-2011, 02:18 AM
Scrivezina
Who needs offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I suspect Dean feels the same and is waiting for other options to arise, but I have a feeling if something doesn't present itself, a deal like this is exactly what he will settle for. I am concerned as well, but he is currently the best player on that team, and is reasonably signed. It could very well turn into a Williams situation times two, and I am prepared to take risks now. Simmonds and Teubert are replaceable commodities and the value is there. I would hate to do it, I love Simmonds, and especially the relationship he and Doughty have developed, but we have to keep our eye on the goal.
I see the logic in what you are saying but I think Simmonds is more than just serviceable. I think he's having an off year and that happens. He's young and he's growing. I think we have to be careful with trades because replacing a player with Simmond's upside could take years. He's not the best player on the team but he is definitely way above mediocre. I wouldn't want to see a trade happen unless we knew that there was more at the end of the tunnel than a 50/50 or a 60/40. I want more than that.

That said, I do not foresee any major trades at the deadline to grab "the player". I think moving Zeus if at all possible would be a good idea. Poni can go as well.

I agree with Tghost in reference to having no objections to picks. It will make some of the younger players step up since some of the vets would be out of the way. Plus, filling the cabinet with quality is always a good thing. More importantly, it would also supply ice time for those who are still growing into their role and make them compete for a playoff spot.

If we can grab a player without giving up too much then I'm all for it. I just don't see it happening.

Old
02-12-2011, 02:21 AM
Scrivezina
Who needs offense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Trading Poni right now is no big deal, but trading Zues you might as well call it a day....

While Poni isn't that important and I could see him being traded. You trade a player who's value skyrockets in the playoffs in Zues, and replace him with Loki who hasn't played any center in the NHL yet is crazy...Stoll will have to take every PK faceoff.....
Maybe that's it. I just don't see us making a real run at the cup this year which is why Zeus should go now while he has value.

Closed Thread