HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

What is it with the people that get bent out of shape when you flame the Rangers

Old
02-12-2011, 04:42 AM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

vCash: 500
What is it with the people that get bent out of shape when you flame the Rangers

Lest you say something not nice about our super duper, amazing, wonderful hockey team. We're all so spoiled by all the Cups they win, where do any of us get off complaining? Forget that we just lost six one-goal games in a row, and are probably gonna miss the playoffs again, it's all about...

THE FUTURE!!!!!!!!

Look, if I'm not happy about my favorite team, I have every right to complain and say they suck. If you don't like it, you should go hang out the Red Wings forum, they're always happy over there. Gee maybe winning has something to do with that.

Since when does getting on your own team's case make you any less of a fan?

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 06:53 AM
Melrose_Jr.

It all comes down to expectations. There isn't a lot to complain about when a mediocre team that was almost unanimously picked to fight it out for the 8th spot finds themselves......fighting it out for the 8th spot with other mediocre teams.

The future is all this team has. Development and assessment can be a painful process, but it's the only path to the ultimate goal in the post-lockout NHL.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 07:07 AM
lJuicel

I think it has to do with the lengths some of us go to, from 1 end of the spectrum when we are winning, to the other when we are losing.
While I do agree that coming on here to complain about your favorite team when they clearly haven't been playing well shouldn't result in you having your allegiances questioned.
Not really sure how anyone can watch last nights game and say Del Zotto is a capable NHL D-Man, he's hit a wall, has a confidence issue....whatever the case. Its just at this point when early in the year it looked like this team had a legit playoff spot and now nerves are getting raw as it slips away, how can you not get upset ? Questioning your team is all part of the love of sport, truly passionate fans love the highs and loathe the lows, its what makes sports...well sports.

lJuicel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 07:17 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
I dont think there is anything wrong with sharing your opinion about the team, I get pretty down on them myself. I'm a fan that will offer high praise when deserved, and crushing criticism when deserved as well.
You are on a public forum though, where it may bother certain people. It took me some time to learn and pick my spots. I look at it this way. The GDT is an open thread for all, I'll say whatever I feel in there, if people don't like it, too bad.

What I'm learning NOT to do, is go into a POSITIVE thread someone starts, and turn it into a BASH session.

There are enough of us here that have a flair for the cynical and negative that you will have plenty of spots to vent in.
And theres nothing wrong with a litle back and forth if its respectful (and on topic).

Its safe to say were all Rangers fans, we should be able to coexist. And we have a bunch of good moderators too, use them.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 09:21 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Because you go out of the way to insult a 20 year old sophomore slumping offensive defenseman who put up 40 points in his rookie year, who has NEVER been a defensive zone stud. Who also shouldn't be in the NHL right now until he gets his offensive game back. That's on Torts and Sather, not him.

He's also paired with Matt "Scott Stevens" Gilroy who keeps proving he's not as good as everyone keeps saying he is. At all. And please don't say he's been better than MDZ because he hasn't.

Nobody's happy with the way this team is playing right now, but the fact is this team wasn't expected to go anywhere and the only reason you're upset is because they played very good hockey pre-allstar break. Which is a great thing, because this is a transition year and at this point you can't let Sather's horrendous management that makes this 6th year post-lockout a transition year or else you'll either want to headbutt a wall (i've almost done it before)...or be Foxhound.

My eyes have always been set on July 1st, which will make or break our next few years.

I also think you're not a proponent of getting Richards IIRC, but that's how I feel.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 09:26 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Lest you say something not nice about our super duper, amazing, wonderful hockey team. We're all so spoiled by all the Cups they win, where do any of us get off complaining? Forget that we just lost six one-goal games in a row, and are probably gonna miss the playoffs again, it's all about...

THE FUTURE!!!!!!!!

Look, if I'm not happy about my favorite team, I have every right to complain and say they suck. If you don't like it, you should go hang out the Red Wings forum, they're always happy over there. Gee maybe winning has something to do with that. Since when does getting on your own team's case make you any less of a fan?
I'm in!!! Yeah baby! Go Wings!! woo hoo!!

You know what? I DO feel better! I'm going with this. Detroit Red Wings are now my surrogate team!! Rangers are still number 1 in my book, but for now, I am on the Wings band wagon. Cool. I'm good with this.

Mhead: seriously. I share your frustration. I wish there was something we more could do as fans to express this to MSG. It sucks.

I did not expect to win the Cup this year, but once again they get hopes up and disappoint. It blows.

02-12-2011, 09:31 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
I'm in!!! Yeah baby! Go Wings!! woo hoo!!

You know what? I DO feel better! I'm going with this. Detroit Red Wings are now my surrogate team!! Rangers are still number 1 in my book, but for now, I am on the Wings band wagon. Cool. I'm good with this.

Mhead: seriously. I share your frustration. I wish there was something we more could do as fans to express this to MSG. It sucks.

I did not expect to win the Cup this year, but once again they get hopes up and disappoint. It blows.
Poe's Law fails me here.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 09:44 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
It all comes down to expectations. There isn't a lot to complain about when a mediocre team that was almost unanimously picked to fight it out for the 8th spot finds themselves......fighting it out for the 8th spot with other mediocre teams.

The future is all this team has. Development and assessment can be a painful process, but it's the only path to the ultimate goal in the post-lockout NHL.
while i think this is true, many fans here feel hurt that what seemed like a special season has just been thrown away. the young defense, filled with NHL no-names, was one of the best in the league. A roster filled with injuries at all it's important positions, was proving to be a hardworking, smart team, that capitalized on other team's mistakes.

then, inexplicably, slats and torts makes a single decision that throws all that away. with one decision they have guaranteed at least once per game, someone will be matched up against our most ineffectual defenseman, in the low slot, and that will either lead to a goal or an opposing PP. so it's no coincidence we're suddenly losing tons of one goal games. teams crash down low much more often in close games, and it's exposing a player we should be developing night in and night out.

there is a moan and groan swelling around this fan base due to slats and torts cashing a season in that we as fans were thoroughly enjoying watching, seemingly to destroy a prospects confidence. this is NYC, and i would not be surprised one bit if the boo birds start to show up for MDZ. then just think of the wonderful idea it was to keep a struggling player on the big club's roster. torts screaming at him on the bench, players knowing he's costing them games, and a fanbase showering him with a bronx welcome. yeeesh

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 09:53 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
Poe's Law fails me here.
No parody here friend. I amd going to get an NHL package and start watching the Red Wings.

No smiley, no emotocons. Just some good hockey to watch.

Meanwhile, I will still follow MY team and see what happens. Just going to limit my emotional investment.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 09:54 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post

You even worded it better than I would have.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 10:12 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Well maybe because some of the positive threads are so filled with BS that some just simply can't take it. ...and if they actually any amount of money pay to see this team, who could blame them?

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 10:19 AM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
while i think this is true, many fans here feel hurt that what seemed like a special season has just been thrown away. the young defense, filled with NHL no-names, was one of the best in the league. A roster filled with injuries at all it's important positions, was proving to be a hardworking, smart team, that capitalized on other team's mistakes.

then, inexplicably, slats and torts makes a single decision that throws all that away. with one decision they have guaranteed at least once per game, someone will be matched up against our most ineffectual defenseman, in the low slot, and that will either lead to a goal or an opposing PP. so it's no coincidence we're suddenly losing tons of one goal games. teams crash down low much more often in close games, and it's exposing a player we should be developing night in and night out.

there is a moan and groan swelling around this fan base due to slats and torts cashing a season in that we as fans were thoroughly enjoying watching, seemingly to destroy a prospects confidence. this is NYC, and i would not be surprised one bit if the boo birds start to show up for MDZ. then just think of the wonderful idea it was to keep a struggling player on the big club's roster. torts screaming at him on the bench, players knowing he's costing them games, and a fanbase showering him with a bronx welcome. yeeesh
I feel strongly about MDZ playing in Hartford right now. I don't understand why we are force feeding his development to happen at the NHL level. With that said, I don't think it is fair to lump our current losing streak entirely on his shoulders. I think what we are seeing now is the scale balancing itself out.

Lets be honest with ourselves for a second. Talent wise we are a very middle of the pack team compared to other teams in the NHL. When we were on a roll we were grinding out wins and winning hard fought 1 goal games. Now we are losing those 1 goal games. We will blow out a team here and there but most of our games are going to be decided by 1 goal. When you are existing that close to the line you are going to have streaks like this. Where you are hitting posts with 2 seconds left that would have tied the game a month ago. Our margin for error has been so small all season.

I've accepted what this team is. I like watching our young guys develop (the ones who belong in the NHL) and I know we are going to be battling for a bottom playoff spot. This team has been real easy to root for all season because of the way they play. They stick up for each other and play hard. So this current losing streak can't be pinned on one thing/person in my opinion. It is a mediocre team being balanced out by the long NHL season.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 10:24 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:

Del Zotto is stinking it up out there, no doubt, but lets not create the illusion that the decision to play him is whats sabotaging this team.

Some people will never admit it, but this team isnt very good. They were playing way over their heads/talent level earlier in the season and these things have a way of evening out over an 82 game grind.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 10:30 AM
nyrfan519

It's fine to be frustrated, but when you (speaking rhetorically) start saying asinine things like "Fire Torts", you've gone too far. People get angry to the point where they're no longer rational and forget about how well we've played in most of our other games this year, with a fairly untalented roster.

nyrfan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 10:36 AM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Most people have closed their ears toward me these days, in person and on these forums, due to my pessimistic view.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 10:45 AM
OverTheCap

I'm really not sure what some fans were expecting this year. I think the fact that we overachieved in the first half may have deluded some fans into thinking this is a cup contending team or something.

The holes that existed before the season are still here, nothing's changed. You can only get so far with no first line center or PP QB. Not to mention that this team is young and growing pains are predictable. I can't really get bent out of shape about these issues now since I've already come to terms with them.

What bugs me more than anything is when a team doesn't show up or players don't put forth an honest effort, that's why I've been getting on Gabby lately. But the team is hardworking for the most part and doesn't take complete games off like they did in past years. I'd be venting a lot more if this team didn't have a good work ethic.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 11:53 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Del Zotto is stinking it up out there, no doubt, but lets not create the illusion that the decision to play him is whats sabotaging this team.

Some people will never admit it, but this team isnt very good. They were playing way over their heads/talent level earlier in the season and these things have a way of evening out over an 82 game grind.
we're losing one goal games. and he's on the ice for at least 1 goal per game, even in his limited minutes. is that really an illusion?

Old
02-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
we're losing one goal games. and he's on the ice for at least 1 goal per game, even in his limited minutes. is that really an illusion?
Since Jan. 1st, 19 games, we've scored over 2 goals in regulation THREE TIMES. Is that Del Zotto's fault?

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
So replace Del Zotto and we'd be winning these games? Voila, just like that, huh?

Like I said, its an illusion, and if you really believe that, you're just scapegoating the kid.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post

THE FUTURE!!!!!!!!

Look, if I'm not happy about my favorite team, I have every right to complain and say they suck. If you don't like it, you should go hang out the Red Wings forum, they're always happy over there. Gee maybe winning has something to do with that.

Since when does getting on your own team's case make you any less of a fan?
I agree, I can't stand poster that start commenting about other posters instead of hockey related matters.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 01:27 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Since Jan. 1st, 19 games, we've scored over 2 goals in regulation THREE TIMES. Is that Del Zotto's fault?
considering the only value MDZ has is offensive, this is the most bizarre pro MDZ argument that could be made.

Old
02-12-2011, 01:47 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
So replace Del Zotto and we'd be winning these games? Voila, just like that, huh?

Like I said, its an illusion, and if you really believe that, you're just scapegoating the kid.

it's only an illusion to someone that doesn't realize we're losing one goal games, while having a player that is a regular PPG against. The chemistry of this defense has changed drastically since MDZ's return. Gilroy is no prize himself, but he's not a steady 1g against per game guy.

TO CLARIFY: I'm not the one saying this is MDZ's fault. I blamed Torts and Slats for throwing away an interesting and fun season to watch, just to have a kid have his confidence utterly annihilated night in and night out.

Old
02-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Balej20*

The GM has had too long. This franchise has been around forever and only has 4 cup wins. Fans have every right to be pissed.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 02:08 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
considering the only value MDZ has is offensive, this is the most bizarre pro MDZ argument that could be made.
My argument is not a "pro-DZ" one as much as it is a response to your original post. You implied that since DZ is on the ice for a lot of the oppositions goals and we are losing one goal games that somehow DZ is largely responsible for these losses. My counter was that it is NOT DZ's poor defense that is at fault, it is the fact that we are not scoring goals as a team. And blaming DZ for not scoring goals is completely ludicrous because the forwards should be the ones held accountable for that.

Also if you're conceding that the only value he has to this team is his offensive game, then why are you complaining in your earlier post that he's a poor defender?

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 02:13 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers44 View Post
I agree, I can't stand poster that start commenting about other posters instead of hockey related matters.
Oh you mean like the very premise of this thread?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote