HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Olde Tyme Hockey

Old
02-12-2011, 01:42 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Olde Tyme Hockey

Anyone else psyched with all the olde tyme hockey that has been going on the past week or so? I know a lot of people on here don't like fighting and goons and such, but does anyone else hope the Broad Street Bullies make a re-appearance next time the Flyers see the Penguins?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 01:48 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

vCash: 500
I don't mind the rough stuff at all, but why should the Flyers waste their time? The Penguins of the past 48 hours aren't worth the trouble, and the Flyers aren't exactly built for a bunch of line brawls. They have other goals in mind.
Maybe Pittsburgh will have their game back together in a month and I'll feel differently then, but right now, I'm thinking about Game 83 and beyond.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 01:51 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
I don't mind the rough stuff at all, but why should the Flyers waste their time? The Penguins of the past 48 hours aren't worth the trouble, and the Flyers aren't exactly built for a bunch of line brawls. They have other goals in mind.
Maybe Pittsburgh will have their game back together in a month and I'll feel differently then, but right now, I'm thinking about Game 83 and beyond.
Kick 'em while their down. You're telling me if the Flyers were the team that played the Pens tonight you wouldn't care? I was at the Sens-Flyers game a few years ago. Best game I have ever been to hands down. If that were to happen with the Pens it would be such an entertaining match, win or lose the fights and the game. Also, as much as I dislike Sid and Malkin, I think they probably would have dropped the gloves which I would love to see.

Old
02-12-2011, 01:51 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Oh, but I will say this ... I am enjoying watching other teams do it, and if a key player or two gets injured along the way, I'm not exactly upset about it.
Nothing critical on the injury, just enough to keep someone from playing.

Old
02-12-2011, 02:00 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

I think I've got too much of the '80s in me. I loved the Sens game last month. Carter dropped the gloves. Giroux too. It wasn't '04 (?) but it was a nice taste of OTH.
By the 80s, I mean the great teams that had something horrible happen to them and cost them playoff success.
The Flyers are 3 pts up with 3 games in hand in the East this season, after a run to the SCF last season. I would dread one of those freak injuries to a key player just three weeks ahead of the playoffs. The Flyers have enjoyed remarkable health this season, outside of Pronger. My thing now is to avoid injuries.

Though I will be at that game next month, and I'm sure the last thing I will think about is "ooh, he could get hurt," if they start to throw down.

Old
02-12-2011, 02:23 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Anyone else psyched with all the olde tyme hockey that has been going on the past week or so? I know a lot of people on here don't like fighting and goons and such, but does anyone else hope the Broad Street Bullies make a re-appearance next time the Flyers see the Penguins?
No, the Flyers should do what they did to the Senators a couple weeks ago, and what the Islanders did tonight. Blow them out of the water, leave no doubt on the scoreboards...and if they want to dance, show them everyone willing.

I like "old time hockey" but only if we're up big and the opposing team throws a hissy fit.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 07:11 AM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Absolutely not. The Flyers are working on a magical season in which they could win the Cup. They would be morons to risk derailing that to satisfy the bloodlust of a tiny minority of fans.

The best revenge on the Penguins is beating them in 4 games after game 82.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 07:24 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
I did have a flashback to the 70's and I do enjoy a good fight. However I would rather play a hard physical game and beat them on the scoreboard. I did find it satisfying to see the pens get their ass's handed to them. You just knew after the goalie fight the game before when the whole pens bench was laughing that there would be payback.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 08:40 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

There's no reason for the Flyers to just go "old time" on any time however, if need be, they better not back down

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 08:41 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
they're called Habs fans

Old
02-12-2011, 08:52 AM
CptCannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
There's no reason for the Flyers to just go "old time" on any time
Definately there are moments when they should just goon it up. Those moments being the likes with Isles last night: playoffs out of reach and divisional rival (especially the Pens) injuring key players last meeting. That's when you're supposed to show them no mercy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
however, if need be, they better not back down
As for now, I wouldn't like to see Flyers STARTING any of that kind of action, the Cup should remain as the ultimate goal for the season. In case the opposing team wants to goon it up, I'd like to see no Flyer to duck and hide, respond the rough stuff with even more rough stuff.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 10:02 AM
4Isles4*

i would love too see ur next game with the PENS...

4Isles4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Razor the Goalie
Can I Get a Hot Tub

This Flyers team has a mix of talent and grit that if it comes to that they can hold their own BUT only if it must be done.

2 points are more important but if Talbot throws a cheap shot like that and thinks he will get away with it he so wrong.

I also think this is good for the league because this year players like Subban and Talbot think they can get away with this and laugh it off but now they will double think throwing a cheap shot.

The thing that stirs me up more is when players throw the big hits but cannot answer the bell when it comes to backing it up.

Razor the Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 10:31 AM
ShelbyFlyer

First priority should be the two points no matter who it is against and what past memories there are. After that, if beat down teams like Isles and Pens want to take shots, clearly the Flyers have to defend themselves or their team mates. The one on one in weight class fights are cool. But some of the deliberate head shots, high elbows and that jump on from behind last night are what worry me.

ShelbyFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Mgkibbles

I don't mind heavy hitting or fighting, but what Trevor Gillies did to Eric Tangradi last night was completely classless.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 11:00 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Isles4 View Post
i would love too see ur next game with the PENS...
you mean the games where we play the Pens and are automatically down one man for the first 10 minutes of the game?

Old
02-12-2011, 11:06 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Nope.

Do the 'talking' on the scoreboard, don't risk injury.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 11:07 AM
PhillyFlying

i'd love our team to be tough in between the whistles, but i can do without this line-brawl stuff that's been going on lately. none of these teams are worth it. not even the penguins. beat 'em on the score sheet and hit 'em hard, but let's not get carried away.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 11:38 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Wow. Very disappointed in the way this thread is going.

Old
02-12-2011, 11:39 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
it aint the 70s anymore buddy

Old
02-12-2011, 11:43 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
People have to understand that one reason that the game last night got so out of hand was because the Islanders season is already over. Last night was a Game 7 for them.

Quote:
More like disappointed that it's not the 70s anymore. The Islanders are getting half their team suspended. Sure it's fun to watch line brawls when they're happening - since they never happen, but they're also happening because everyone is out of control because people are taking cheap shots at each other. One of the line brawls last night was because Gillies, who by definition is a thug, was being exactly that. The advent of the Flyers/Senators brawl in 2004 was because Havlat gave Mark Recchi a cheap shot with a stick to the face (something I believe Havlat got a stiff suspension for).

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 11:44 AM
L-train*

Send a message via AIM to L-train*
I loved last nights game. I mean, if the NHL isn't going to take discipline seriously (See Collie Campy as head disciplinarian ) then the teams need to take matters into their own hands. I bet most players will think twice about running anybody on the Islanders now, and I say good for the Islanders.

L-train* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

The only return to the Seventies I want to see at THIS point is the marches to the SCFs and Cups themselves... All the gooning up is not needed. Gooning can be a field leveler, and the team ahead of the pack needs not see any field leveling. What we need to see is Flyers players standing up for each other when needed and not backing down when called to dance -- unless doing so results in a needed man advantage on a one sided call.

The concerns I have with getting involved with such games are the injury risk factor as well as suspensions... and also there is the rhythm and bad habits that can spring up. The if it ain't broke, don't fix it mentality is what is needed right now, with tweaks to fine tune... Gearing up for the Postseason is what is in order about now.

The Islanders saw DP go out and there are others on combatant teams that are lost for a number of games due to resulting injuries... Do we want to see Boosh or Bob with a broken cheek bone at this point?... Do we want to see Giroux or Carter with broken hands or Briere with a wonky shoulder?... Do we want to see a key player concussed?... and to what benefit? If the Flyers were an also-ran at this point and needed to gambol to gain ground and were willing to take risks while ratcheting up the 19K+ fans, then by all means give it a shot; they are the front runners in the East and are arguably set up better than any other team to go the distance... Don't F it up for Heaven's sake.

... Ant then there is a little thing that I seriously would not doubt happening... The Flyers get into such a game and the NHL and all concern start to point to the Flyers and Goon Hockey, and how they must be nipped in the bud; the team that has a rep for doing the ungodly and screwing up the game... They make examples of the Flyers and suspend players... and then keep a close eye and call things tight from here on out... Paranoia or not, IMO it can easily happen.

Let the other teams have their fun and gather their suspensions and risk their key players to injuries... At THIS point in time the Flyers need only keep their house in order and watch after their own and protect when called on... keep it clean and play their game... Let the others worry about catching up with them.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 12:01 PM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Between Montreal-Boston and Pittsburgh and the Isles, this has been a hell of a week for hockey. My league-wide interest has been peeked by all the headlines and brawls. Good hockey in the mix too

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 12:10 PM
mypunkrock

I love fighting and whatnot, but if less fighting has this team winning cups, sign me up.

The Isles have nothing to play for and nothing to lose. Let them wallow in their oft injured goaltender and AAAA level players.

We have a tough, physical team that plays a great system, and wins games every way possible. Let's stick with that.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote