HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official 2011 MLB Thread (All Mets, Yankees and MLB talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2011, 09:10 PM
darko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
I just have a weird feeling the Mets are gonna surprise some people this year. They will be in the Wild card hunt come late august.

I can see them in the hunt for the WC. Philly is probably the best team in baseball. Braves have tons of pitching, won 91 games last year and will be hard to beat again. pitching is what wins you ballgames. And you know Marlins are going to hang around.

If Mets finish with a better than .500 record they've done well. It's a tough division they are in.

Old
02-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

The Mets should trade Reyes while they can still get value for him. Injury prone, and a bad attitude. Besides if you can get a decent pitcher for him it helps you down the road because I look at this as a retooling year for the Mets anyway. Especially in a division with that monstrosity the Phillies have put together.

Old
02-10-2011, 09:13 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
The Mets should trade Reyes while they can still get value for him. Injury prone, and a bad attitude. Besides if you can get a decent pitcher for him it helps you down the road because I look at this as a retooling year for the Mets anyway. Especially in a division with that monstrosity the Phillies have put together.
He is injury prone, but I don't think that he has an attitude problem. I like his attitude. I think that they should make a trade though if the right trade comes along.

Old
02-10-2011, 09:15 PM
17futurecap

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Yeah, I thought it would be fun to guess the roster, but I neglected to realize that the Yankees have far less uncertainty than do the Mets. Seems like your 25-man is pretty much set in stone, right?
Interested to see the 4th and 5th starter battle, many just give the 4th spot to Nova, but I think I need to see more from him. I think the favorites are Nova and Garcia as mentioned, but it should be interesting to see if someone will compete with them.

Old
02-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17futurecap View Post
Interested to see the 4th and 5th starter battle, many just give the 4th spot to Nova, but I think I need to see more from him. I think the favorites are Nova and Garcia as mentioned, but it should be interesting to see if someone will compete with them.
Nova was lights out every start until the 5th inning. If we can just improve his length he'd be great in the 4 spot.

Old
02-10-2011, 09:26 PM
darko

Quote:

Bartolo Colon. Oh wait this is 2011.

Andrew Brackman could get a shot at some point. He's the only 1 out of Killer B's that could have an impact in 2011. Banuelos doesnt have the arm strength yet. Hector Noesi could get a look too.

Old
02-10-2011, 09:32 PM
17futurecap

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Bartolo Colon. Oh wait this is 2011.

Andrew Brackman could get a shot at some point. He's the only 1 out of Killer B's that could have an impact in 2011. Banuelos doesnt have the arm strength yet. Hector Noesi could get a look too.
Think we will see Brackman at some point this year, must take it slow with ManBan and Betances.

Old
02-10-2011, 09:34 PM
nyrleetch

Quote:
Nova was lights out every start until the 5th inning. If we can just improve his length he'd be great in the 4 spot.

4 and 2/3's every time and Girardi would give him the hook!

Old
02-10-2011, 09:35 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

with a healthy jose, carlos and jbay this team will be good enough to not suk. they will hang around but cannot beat the phils or the braves with their quantity of quality arms.

our pitching is weak. period. even with santana, im not in love with the arms.

krod is a tool and has lost velocity. his fastball is a meatball. not a huge fan.

i wish we had better arms because our lineup right now top to bottom is decent

if we can move reyes for a nice young arm, and santana returns 100 % we might sneak a wc spot. big maybe tho.

prediction, 3rd.

Old
02-10-2011, 09:36 PM
17futurecap

Girardi is going to be rough this year with all the guys he has in the pen, get ready for 5 hour Yankees games.

Old
02-10-2011, 09:36 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
4 and 2/3's every time and Girardi would give him the hook!
I kept wondering why they didn't just plan on it and bring in Mitre for 3-4 innings afterwards. Let them take a start together every 5th day and if they are winning in the 8th start matching but at least it gives the bull-pen a decent days rest every 5th start.

Old
02-10-2011, 09:37 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
What attitude problem?

It's just pain.
Old
02-10-2011, 09:44 PM
darko

Quote:
Think we will see Brackman at some point this year, must take it slow with ManBan and Betances.

We could. Alot depends on injuries and whether Yankees acquire another SP down the track (Liriano maybe - Twins are open to trading him). If 1 of the B's made his debut this season Brackman would be the short priced favorite. Betances is probably a year away and Banuelos will head back to Trenton to work on his arm strength. He's got just over 200 innings in 3 years under his belt. Yankees will be very carefull with him, frontline upside and he's a lefty.

Old
02-10-2011, 09:53 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

I hope the Mets do well this year but this team reminds me of the 2003-04 Rangers where from the first day of training camp I couldn't stand that team and was waiting for them to start a real rebuild and blow it up. It could be a comedy show this season with the Wilpons and a mediocre manager in Terry Collins.

I'd like to see them completely clean house with only Davis, Gee, Niese, Mejia, Thole, and Wright remaining.

I'd still offer Reyes/Pelfrey for Elsbury and Bucholtz if Boston would do that.

The Mets need to stop being PC and trying to be Yankees light. You play in a huge ballpark and pretty much always have, go back to being what made you good; pitching, small ball, and a take no crap attitude. Make a statement, bean Chipper Jones and Dan Uggula and Jimmy Rollins for no reason just cause it would show Mets fans something. Start a brawl, show some passion. Make this season interesting.

As for the Yankees, I love the Martin signing he should be great in that ballpark. Still, Boston probably had a better offseason than anyone but Philly, and Toronto and Baltimore are good young teams. Tampa..who knows? It's going to be a lot harder this year for them to contend and this may be the first transition year to the new generation.

Old
02-10-2011, 11:38 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
What attitude problem?
I don't know he strikes me as very arrogant.

Old
02-12-2011, 12:30 AM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
I hope the Mets do well this year but this team reminds me of the 2003-04 Rangers where from the first day of training camp I couldn't stand that team and was waiting for them to start a real rebuild and blow it up. It could be a comedy show this season with the Wilpons and a mediocre manager in Terry Collins.

I'd like to see them completely clean house with only Davis, Gee, Niese, Mejia, Thole, and Wright remaining.

I'd still offer Reyes/Pelfrey for Elsbury and Bucholtz if Boston would do that.

The Mets need to stop being PC and trying to be Yankees light. You play in a huge ballpark and pretty much always have, go back to being what made you good; pitching, small ball, and a take no crap attitude. Make a statement, bean Chipper Jones and Dan Uggula and Jimmy Rollins for no reason just cause it would show Mets fans something. Start a brawl, show some passion. Make this season interesting.

As for the Yankees, I love the Martin signing he should be great in that ballpark. Still, Boston probably had a better offseason than anyone but Philly, and Toronto and Baltimore are good young teams. Tampa..who knows? It's going to be a lot harder this year for them to contend and this may be the first transition year to the new generation.
That's an interesting point about the Mets trying to be Yankees light. The thing is, that's not really the way the Yankees did it at first, and this is going way back, to the early 90's. People forget, amidst all their big signings, that the Yankee's core has always been farm-produced, including by far their most valuable asset; their closer. The Mets, to their credit, do have a pretty damn good farm system, with recent gems such as Wright, Reyes, and Davis. The Mets should take a few years off from big names, and just concentrate more on the system, like the Yankees did in the early 90's, and then start making big signings when they really get good. If the Mets put the checkbook in the drawer for a few years, and go with youth, they'll be a top contender in a few years.

Old
02-12-2011, 08:49 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Girardi is going to be rough this year with all the guys he has in the pen, get ready for 5 hour Yankees games.
lol

How many lefty/righty match-ups we'll see?

Can't wait.

Old
02-12-2011, 04:45 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
lol

How many lefty/righty match-ups we'll see?

Can't wait.
Can't stand that lefty/righty bull ****. Most overrated thing in professional sports.

Old
02-12-2011, 05:22 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Can't stand that lefty/righty bull ****. Most overrated thing in professional sports.
You know there is truth to it though. Lefties usually have a tough time getting out righties and vice-versa. It's all about the pitch though, use change-ups against the lefties and cutters against the righties. Go on fangraphs.com and look at all sabremetrics for lefty vs righties, pay attention to strike out rates, ground ball rates, and fly ball rates.

Old
02-12-2011, 05:28 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
We could. Alot depends on injuries and whether Yankees acquire another SP down the track (Liriano maybe - Twins are open to trading him). If 1 of the B's made his debut this season Brackman would be the short priced favorite. Betances is probably a year away and Banuelos will head back to Trenton to work on his arm strength. He's got just over 200 innings in 3 years under his belt. Yankees will be very carefull with him, frontline upside and he's a lefty.
Brackman will make his debut out the bullpen later in the year, but he is behind on the depth chart to Phelps and Noesi, who both will see more innings this year than Brackman.

Old
02-12-2011, 05:33 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
You know there is truth to it though. Lefties usually have a tough time getting out righties and vice-versa. It's all about the pitch though, use change-ups against the lefties and cutters against the righties. Go on fangraphs.com and look at all sabremetrics for lefty vs righties, pay attention to strike out rates, ground ball rates, and fly ball rates.
Agreed.

It is not overrated at all. If you have played baseball at any level from high school on you could vouch for that. Your a left batter facing a lefty pitcher with a good off speed pitch (slider, curve, etc) it is very tough to hit. Mix in a good fastball and you have a tough AB on your hands. Lefties tend to have good movement on there fastballs as well.

The matching up is definitely not a myth.

Old
02-12-2011, 05:54 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
It works to an extent but it's overdone. It gets to the point where people will take out a good lefty, to bring in a **** righty, just because the batter is right handed. There were several times this year where Girardi did that, and the new pitcher got shelled. And they also do it against guys in which the stats show it doesn't work, like Cano. Managers are constantly matching lefties against Cano, and meanwhile Cano is hitting over .300 against lefties. They've gone overboard with it. Managers treat it as if a righty absolutely cannot, under any circumstances, get our a lefty, and a lefty absolutely cannot get out a righty. It's ridiculous. Should it be used? Yes. Should it dictate the entire game? No.

I also think it doesn't really work past a certain level of talent. the stats show that Cervelli struggles against right handed pitching, but I don't buy that righties get a guy like Arod out any better than lefties. Guys like Arod, Wright, Pujols; they're just great hitters, no matter what hand the pitcher uses.

Old
02-12-2011, 10:27 PM
darko

Quote:
I also think it doesn't really work past a certain level of talent. the stats show that Cervelli struggles against right handed pitching, but I don't buy that righties get a guy like Arod out any better than lefties. Guys like Arod, Wright, Pujols; they're just great hitters, no matter what hand the pitcher uses.

A-Rod struggled quite abit against lefties last season. If I'm a manager with A-Rod at the plate and good lefty in the pen I bring him in 9 times out of 10. You also look at how that pitcher has done against a certain batter in the past. It depends on game situations as well.

Also if you are going to go after Cano you should do it with a lefty. His OPS was some 80 points lower against them last season.

I agree that it's overdone at times but you cant completely ignore it.

Old
02-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
A-Rod struggled quite abit against lefties last season. If I'm a manager with A-Rod at the plate and good lefty in the pen I bring him in 9 times out of 10. You also look at how that pitcher has done against a certain batter in the past. It depends on game situations as well.

Also if you are going to go after Cano you should do it with a lefty. His OPS was some 80 points lower against them last season.

I agree that it's overdone at times but you cant completely ignore it.
That's all misleading. Since there's more righties, numbers against lefties are more extreme. If it were even, the numbers would even out too.

Old
02-14-2011, 05:00 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
That's all misleading. Since there's more righties, numbers against lefties are more extreme. If it were even, the numbers would even out too.
Not really. There's a difference between LHP/RHP facing LHH/RHH, whether you believe it or not.

Would number evens out if there were an even amount of both LHP/RHP and LHH/RHH? To a degree, it may. However, there aren't equal amounts, so LHH have less of an opportunity hone their skill against LHP, making that lefty-lefty match-up generally advantageous to the pitcher.

As far as Rodriguez goes, for his career his splits are just about even. However he has struggled against LHP over the past few years, so it appears to be a trend.

Lefty/righty spits and match-ups are pretty well established. Some managers obviously go a bit overboard with them, but they still have their place.

Last edited by nyr2k2: 02-14-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Closed Thread