HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

David Legwand and J.P Dumont appreciation thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-11-2011, 09:44 PM
  #26
cleangene
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beautiful Bellevue
Posts: 955
vCash: 500
I remember game 6 against the team from michigan 3 seasons ago, arny with the concussion(?) missing the game. Legwand, on the other hand, just barely able to skate playing his heart out.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 09:52 PM
  #27
predfan24
Registered User
 
predfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Legwand earns the praise he gets here but he also earns the criticism too, he can be brilliant at times but does take nights off and you're kidding yourself if you don't think so, and I'm a Legwand fan. I also think hes overpaid but at the time, we needed to overpay him and Erat that was a PR move more than anything.
I agree with this as far as Leggy goes. Still, we are better off with him than without him. He is overpaid but isn't severely overpaid.

I love Dumont but I would love if we could move his contract. Yes he has been a great player for us and yes he is a great person but this business is a what have you done for me lately business. When your making the money Dumont is and not producing you hamper a budget team like ourselves. When Legwand isn't scoring he is usually still helping the team. Dumont is paid to score. I honestly wish he would start playing better and Trotz would start trusting him again and he started earning his contract but I'm not holding my breath.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 12:59 AM
  #28
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
William Wallace killed fifty men. Fifty. Cut through them like Moses through the red sea.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 05:05 AM
  #29
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime
 
sparkle twin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hendersonville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,887
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Legwand is one of my favorite players. He was my first favorite Pred and will always be a favorite no matter who else comes along.

Sure he's got his flaws, but what player doesn't? We could make a long list of criticisms for almost every player on our roster. And a lot are deserved.

But since this was intended just to appreciate JP/Leggy, that's what I'm going to do.

I appreciate that they accept their roles. That they don't go to the media and cry about ice time or line mates or whatever. That they do more off the ice than probably we really know. I appreciate the goals they have scored, the playoff game tying ones and ones in the middle of an 8-0 blowout. I appreciate that JP has said he and his family already plan to stay in Nashville after he retires (he may change his mind, but he stays here during the summer now). I appreciate that they play through pain/injured. I appreciate that sometimes, no matter how much either of them accomplish for this team, it will never be enough for some people. Or it will always come with conditions..."yeah he did that, but...".

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 09:02 AM
  #30
preds1
Registered User
 
preds1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,198
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I'll say two things, look at our record with and without Legwand in the lineup. That's worth what he's making a year. Secondly, while Dumont may not be putting up numbers, he's being a leader to those young kids he's been playing with all year. He's teaching them how to be a pro, even if things aren't going your way. I'm sure he'd love more ice time but he doesn't go to the press and moan about it, he does what the coach asks him to do and I have a tremendous amount of respect for an athlete that will put his ego aside for the benefit of the team. Wish more guys would do this in all sports.
Absolutely agree. I wish more guys had the heart of these boys.

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 09:57 AM
  #31
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by preds1 View Post
Absolutely agree. I wish more guys had the heart of these boys.
I honestly think that the heart and desire of players like Legwand and Dumont is rubbing off on the rest of the team, especially the younger players.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 10:10 AM
  #32
Kloparren
Hth
 
Kloparren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,449
vCash: 500
Wouldn't this be the perfect oppurtunity to try playing Colin as a winger with Fischer and having two good top lines?

Or are they gonna waste him as the 3rd line centre?

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 10:15 AM
  #33
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,222
vCash: 500
Wilson has been used as a winger all season. Whether or not he is used with Fisher remains to be seen.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 10:58 AM
  #34
zellthemedic
Registered User
 
zellthemedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 296
vCash: 500
71 - 12 - 74 line.

zellthemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 11:07 AM
  #35
SilasAdams
Registered User
 
SilasAdams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Deadwood
Country: United States
Posts: 1,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zellthemedic View Post
71 - 12 - 74 line.
i dont think you can split the kostitsyn erat goc line but i would like to see dumont with fisher to be honest i think it could spark something. but i doubt trotzy will do that.

SilasAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 11:10 AM
  #36
zellthemedic
Registered User
 
zellthemedic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK All Day View Post
i dont think you can split the kostitsyn erat goc line but i would like to see dumont with fisher to be honest i think it could spark something. but i doubt trotzy will do that.
Haha, yeah, I figured the Euro Line was going to stick together no matter what. Would be pretty awesome to see Dumont and Fisher though, could possibly have some awesome chemistry.

zellthemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 11:38 AM
  #37
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I honestly think that the heart and desire of players like Legwand and Dumont is rubbing off on the rest of the team, especially the younger players.
You are talking about a guy who was recently called out by Trotz for his lack of effort.

I'm sorry, but I strongly disagree that Legwand is a model citizen for his heart and compete level. Sure he's played with a injury a couple of time. Sure, his compete level was great in the playoffs last year (a six games sample size), but he goes stretches where he's mostly invisible, stays strictly on the perimeter, and doesn't not want to go into the trenches and get his nose dirty. There are reasons he's never been consider for a full-time assistant captain, and a hot/cold compete level is one.

I look at guys like Scotty Nichol or Nick Spaling and our new addition Mike Fisher as a much more of a model player for bringing it-- night in, night out.

And this tread started out by saying with the OP disagreeing with some the opinions being said about Legwand, and classified them as 'hate'. It's a round about way to express blanket opinions, anticipating that no one will provide an alternative view point. Well, there are some differing view points...


Last edited by dulzhok: 02-12-2011 at 11:47 AM.
dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 12:01 PM
  #38
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
You are talking about a guy who was recently called out by Trotz for his lack of effort.

I'm sorry, but I strongly disagree that Legwand is a model citizen for his heart and compete level. Sure he's played with a injury a couple of time. Sure, his compete level was great in the playoffs last year (a six games sample size), but he goes stretches where he's mostly invisible, stays strictly on the perimeter, and doesn't not want to go into the trenches and get his nose dirty. There are reasons he's never been consider for a full-time assistant captain, and a hot/cold compete level is one.

I look at guys like Scotty Nichol or Nick Spaling and our new addition Mike Fisher as a much more of a model player for bringing it-- night in, night out.

And this tread started out by saying with the OP disagreeing with some the opinions being said about Legwand, and classified them as 'hate'. It's a round about way to express blanket opinions, anticipating that no one will provide an alternative view point. Well, there are some differing view points...
Quotes from Trotz:

"1."The guys who have been the most consistent are Sergei Kostitsyn and Shea Weber. Where's (David) Legwand? Where's (Martin) Erat? Where's (Patric) Hornqvist? Where are guys who are supposed to score?"

2."Some guys are just having a good 'ol time playing. They're not producing. That's not what I want. I want steady production."

3."I just don't need dry spells of one goal in 17 games if you're an offensive player. That's a problem. With the talent level that some of the guys possess, that's way too long. That can't happen."

4."Get your nose dirty. It's OK to go to the hard places because that's where the goals are.""

Where does he say anything about effort? He ripped them for not producing offensively. It's two separate things. Legwand has always skated hard and if you say differently then you don't watch the games closely. Sorry, but I get tired of the effort bashing on Legwand. I'll give you that he is inconsistent offensively. Absolutely. He needs to be producing at a higher rate.

Funny thing I found about Trotz's comments was that Legwand's had producing chances, just not burying the puck. I think he was trying to have those guys bear down that much more and bury what was given to them. It's great to create but you still have to finish. I think that's what he wants more of.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 12:15 PM
  #39
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
"You just aren't watching the games" argument, nice.

Trotz saying "Some guys are just having a good 'ol time playing".. I read as a lack of compete level. At the end of year conference, Poile said Legwand's play last year was unacceptable. I do not read into that as just not being able to bury chances.

You won't convince me that Lewgand is a model citizen for his compete level, and one who brings it every night. I watch the games. He's mostly a perimeter guy . He skates well. A guy like Arnott doesn't have natural skating ability, so his lack of effort is much easier to pick up on. And Arnott got REAMED on here for being a perimeter player.

I'm not saying Legwand is a lazy bum. I'm saying he's not a model citizen for laying it all on the ice every-night. He's somewhere in between.

His play in the playoffs last year is EXACTLY what frustrates me about him. He played hard, he went in the trenches, he laid it all on the line. And then, that willingness will disappear for games on end, and he's content to be a perimeter defensive specialist.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 01:43 PM
  #40
jcupp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hermitage
Country: United States
Posts: 195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Quotes from Trotz:

"1."The guys who have been the most consistent are Sergei Kostitsyn and Shea Weber. Where's (David) Legwand? Where's (Martin) Erat? Where's (Patric) Hornqvist? Where are guys who are supposed to score?"

2."Some guys are just having a good 'ol time playing. They're not producing. That's not what I want. I want steady production."

3."I just don't need dry spells of one goal in 17 games if you're an offensive player. That's a problem. With the talent level that some of the guys possess, that's way too long. That can't happen."

4."Get your nose dirty. It's OK to go to the hard places because that's where the goals are.""Where does he say anything about effort? He ripped them for not producing offensively. It's two separate things. Legwand has always skated hard and if you say differently then you don't watch the games closely. Sorry, but I get tired of the effort bashing on Legwand. I'll give you that he is inconsistent offensively. Absolutely. He needs to be producing at a higher rate.

Funny thing I found about Trotz's comments was that Legwand's had producing chances, just not burying the puck. I think he was trying to have those guys bear down that much more and bury what was given to them. It's great to create but you still have to finish. I think that's what he wants more of.

So, to you, that quote doesn't say anything about not giving enough effort?

It does to me.

jcupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 02:14 PM
  #41
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcupp View Post
So, to you, that quote doesn't say anything about not giving enough effort?

It does to me.
When have Erat or Legwand ever gone to the hard areas though? That's not their game. It's like saying Gretzky should be digging pucks out of the corner. Obviously I went overboard with the analogy but I don't know what Trotz expects out of guys that are barely 200 lbs.

What Trotz should be wanting these guys to do is use their speed, create a relentless forecheck and keep defensive pressure on the other team. When we go on our winning streaks, that's exactly what happens, then offensive chances happen off of that. If he wants guys to go into the corners, they get tied up, it opens up ice and the other team has a breakout. He can't have it both ways.

I've always complained we don't finish enough checks but if we're playing an aggressive forecheck, we can't finish checks because it creates space for the other team and that's exactly what we don't want. So I gave up on trying to figure out why we're not that physical and accepted the fact that's the way we play and when it works, great but I find it funny the coach wants them to play both styles and it's just not possible to keep yourself in the play, dig in the corners all the time and eliminate space. That's just me though.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 02:16 PM
  #42
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
"You just aren't watching the games" argument, nice.

Trotz saying "Some guys are just having a good 'ol time playing".. I read as a lack of compete level. At the end of year conference, Poile said Legwand's play last year was unacceptable. I do not read into that as just not being able to bury chances.

You won't convince me that Lewgand is a model citizen for his compete level, and one who brings it every night. I watch the games. He's mostly a perimeter guy . He skates well. A guy like Arnott doesn't have natural skating ability, so his lack of effort is much easier to pick up on. And Arnott got REAMED on here for being a perimeter player.

I'm not saying Legwand is a lazy bum. I'm saying he's not a model citizen for laying it all on the ice every-night. He's somewhere in between.

His play in the playoffs last year is EXACTLY what frustrates me about him. He played hard, he went in the trenches, he laid it all on the line. And then, that willingness will disappear for games on end, and he's content to be a perimeter defensive specialist.
Can't disagree with you here but a lot of guys do the same thing. They ramp it up in the playoffs beyond belief. I'd love to see that style of hockey all year round but these guys would be beat all to hell if they did that. It's not excusing their play because I agree with you. I just wish there was more consistency all the way around from the entire team.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 03:55 PM
  #43
jcupp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Hermitage
Country: United States
Posts: 195
vCash: 500
You' re right that isn't their game. It seems to me that the Leggy line keeps good posession of the puck in th offensive zone, but it is always a cycle and no one goes to the middle of the ice and the puck is eventually turned over. It's hard to score a goal from bad angles off the boards with the defense on the same side as the cycle blocking lanes.

Isn' t it the centers responsibilty to at least try and get open in a good shooting area?

By the way, I like Legwand and Dumont. I' ve only started to appreciate what Legwand does the past couple of years. In years past I always seemed to focus on how many passes and shots he whiffed on (which he doesn' t seem to do much anymore).

I still like Dumont too, and think he deserves more ice time, but I don' t where else he fits in. I think where he is may be the best spot for him. Like others have said I think he is being a good mentor for the young players.


If I am wrong about what I said in the first paragraph, please forgive as I have never played the game, and am only beginnig to understand more of the strategy of the game.

jcupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 05:22 PM
  #44
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
You are talking about a guy who was recently called out by Trotz for his lack of effort.

I'm sorry, but I strongly disagree that Legwand is a model citizen for his heart and compete level. Sure he's played with a injury a couple of time. Sure, his compete level was great in the playoffs last year (a six games sample size), but he goes stretches where he's mostly invisible, stays strictly on the perimeter, and doesn't not want to go into the trenches and get his nose dirty. There are reasons he's never been consider for a full-time assistant captain, and a hot/cold compete level is one.

I look at guys like Scotty Nichol or Nick Spaling and our new addition Mike Fisher as a much more of a model player for bringing it-- night in, night out.

And this tread started out by saying with the OP disagreeing with some the opinions being said about Legwand, and classified them as 'hate'. It's a round about way to express blanket opinions, anticipating that no one will provide an alternative view point. Well, there are some differing view points...
This is the only time I will respond to anyone on this thread who is attempting to argue with me. The title and point of this thread is "appreciation". If you'd like to debate feel free to open up a discussion via another thread or private message. Being called out by Trotz for a block of games isn't indicative of a entire career. Sorry, but that's weak.

/argument

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 05:59 PM
  #45
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
This is the only time I will respond to anyone on this thread who is attempting to argue with me.
/argument
This title of this thread was a round-about way to express one's opinion, and and not allow anyone to give a different view point. Sorry, if this was Legwand's birthday card, I wouldn't give a differing opinion, but the OP started this tread with saying he doesn't like other people's opinions on this site and classified them as "hate." That's opening the door for discussion...

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 09:41 PM
  #46
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
This title of this thread was a round-about way to express one's opinion, and and not allow anyone to give a different view point. Sorry, if this was Legwand's birthday card, I wouldn't give a differing opinion, but the OP started this tread with saying he doesn't like other people's opinions on this site and classified them as "hate." That's opening the door for discussion...
er, no, I'm pretty sure that constitutes a thread hijack.

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 10:51 PM
  #47
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 16,708
vCash: 500
So Legwand has looked really good since Trotz called him out. I just wish he had the drive to keep it going....

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 12:26 AM
  #48
cleangene
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beautiful Bellevue
Posts: 955
vCash: 500
Anybody else who saw the game notice J.P. starting to hit more and more?? I'll never forget in an earlier game, someone who cheap-shotted #71, and as he was skating away holding his stick in the air, J.P. hit the barrel of it, and it soared nearly halfway across the rink. Sure, I'm very disappointed in his production numbers, but I will NEVER feel like Mr. Dumont didn't give me my money's worth in effort.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 02:01 AM
  #49
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
So Legwand has looked really good since Trotz called him out. I just wish he had the drive to keep it going....
I agree, he's played with more tenacity since being called out.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 12:34 PM
  #50
Ollie Weeks
Registered User
 
Ollie Weeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sioux Lookout, NWO
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,691
vCash: 500
Hey guys, Kings fans here, coming in with hostile intent.

What's up with Dumont the last couple years? He's still fairly young-is it injury related? Motivation? I see his ice times been cut, but for what reason?

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.