HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Olde Tyme Hockey

Old
02-12-2011, 12:13 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-train View Post
I loved last nights game. I mean, if the NHL isn't going to take discipline seriously (See Collie Campy as head disciplinarian ) then the teams need to take matters into their own hands. I bet most players will think twice about running anybody on the Islanders now, and I say good for the Islanders.
A last place team like the Isles who need unity and a reason hold their head up... and to look to the future have little to lose; good for THEM... This resulted from what happened earlier and the Isles will not really be hurt this lost season by suspensions and injuries... The Pens on the other hand can be further depleted and lose seeding... Whatever they gained by getting their laughs at the expense of a team that mean absolutely nothing to them was quickly lost as their player paid the price of Islander revenge... One brawl filled game may have helped them but the second? No so much.

The Flyers are much more in the same position as the Pens than as the Isles... They have much more to lose and little to gain... At this point the Flyers fans are much more amused by winning well played games than fight filled games on a regular basis... In the Seventies that filled the Spectrum and visited arenas; that is not needed today with these more mature fans of quality hockey.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 12:15 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerPuck View Post
Between Montreal-Boston and Pittsburgh and the Isles, this has been a hell of a week for hockey. My league-wide interest has been peeked by all the headlines and brawls. Good hockey in the mix too
Don't forget Dallas getting caught up up the mix also.

Old
02-12-2011, 12:22 PM
CptCannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Don't forget Dallas getting caught up up the mix also.
If the Flyers don't make it to the SCFs - I definately hope the finals are between Dallas and Boston. Should be a ton of fun action in that series.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 01:13 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
More like disappointed that it's not the 70s anymore. The Islanders are getting half their team suspended. Sure it's fun to watch line brawls when they're happening - since they never happen, but they're also happening because everyone is out of control because people are taking cheap shots at each other. One of the line brawls last night was because Gillies, who by definition is a thug, was being exactly that. The advent of the Flyers/Senators brawl in 2004 was because Havlat gave Mark Recchi a cheap shot with a stick to the face (something I believe Havlat got a stiff suspension for).
Yeah people will be suspended and even if our five best players got suspended for 10 games and the Flyers lost the next ten in a row because of it (which I doubt would happen) they'd still be in no danger of missing the playoffs. And people are complaining about injuries and whatnot from fighting...yeah they happen, but its just as likely as someone getting injured from going after a puck in the corner or hustling to make an icing touch up. Maybe they should put pads on the boards so no one gets hurt? And maybe they should play the games at 3 in the afternoon everyday so the players can get a good night sleep after the games. Its hockey. Cheapshots, fights, etc have been in the sport (and every other sport) since its inception. I don't want to see anyone on the Flyers get hurt from a cheapshot or a fight, but if someone cheapshots a Flyer I want to see a line brawl and if a Flyer cheapshots someone else I want to see the same thing. The fighting and physical nature of the sport is one of the main reasons I love it. And fighting and line brawls is not going to prevent this team (or any team) from winning a Cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
I love fighting and whatnot, but if less fighting has this team winning cups, sign me up.

The Isles have nothing to play for and nothing to lose. Let them wallow in their oft injured goaltender and AAAA level players.

We have a tough, physical team that plays a great system, and wins games every way possible. Let's stick with that.
Less or more fighting is not why this team will win or lose a Stanley Cup.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 02:06 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCannon View Post
If the Flyers don't make it to the SCFs - I definately hope the finals are between Dallas and Boston. Should be a ton of fun action in that series.
no thanks, dont want to see Boston in the finals

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah people will be suspended and even if our five best players got suspended for 10 games and the Flyers lost the next ten in a row because of it (which I doubt would happen) they'd still be in no danger of missing the playoffs. And people are complaining about injuries and whatnot from fighting...yeah they happen, but its just as likely as someone getting injured from going after a puck in the corner or hustling to make an icing touch up. Maybe they should put pads on the boards so no one gets hurt? And maybe they should play the games at 3 in the afternoon everyday so the players can get a good night sleep after the games. Its hockey. Cheapshots, fights, etc have been in the sport (and every other sport) since its inception. I don't want to see anyone on the Flyers get hurt from a cheapshot or a fight, but if someone cheapshots a Flyer I want to see a line brawl and if a Flyer cheapshots someone else I want to see the same thing. The fighting and physical nature of the sport is one of the main reasons I love it. And fighting and line brawls is not going to prevent this team (or any team) from winning a Cup.

Less or more fighting is not why this team will win or lose a Stanley Cup.

Having a player hurt by accident while playing the game is one thing... having players hurt from extracurricular situations is quite something else. And IMO there is less chance of players being hurt when playing smartly and being on guard than in all out Hell bent brawls... and when there is revenge behind attacks. Skill players have less chance of broken hand during games than during fights... and big brawls often see a lot of 'funny' take-downs and board slams.

Yes injuries happen, and they will happen in game action during the season... but when you add needless injuries in macho situations you have more injuries -- keep in mind please that we are not talking the run of the mill one on one fights that occur -- And again, it all depends on the risk vs rewards situations; The Flyers have more to lose with this team and the position they are in than less talented teams trailing them... And conversely, they have less to gain as I see it.

You speak of less or more fighting is not why this team will win or lose the Cup... but IMO it can make a difference when used to their benefit. And once again, there is a huge difference between using fighting in the correct way, and at the proper times, and getting in repeated all out brawls like those that we have seen lately, and like the ones the Broad Street Bullies used to live on in the Seventies.

What kind of fighting are you suggesting?

Old
02-12-2011, 02:22 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Having a player hurt by accident while playing the game is one thing... having players hurt from extracurricular situations is quite something else. And IMO there is less chance of players being hurt when playing smartly and being on guard than in all out Hell bent brawls... and when there is revenge behind attacks. Skill players have less chance of broken hand during games than during fights... and big brawls often see a lot of 'funny' take-downs and board slams.

Yes injuries happen, and they will happen in game action during the season... but when you add needless injuries in macho situations you have more injuries -- keep in mind please that we are not talking the run of the mill one on one fights that occur -- And again, it all depends on the risk vs rewards situations; The Flyers have more to lose with this team and the position they are in than less talented teams trailing them... And conversely, they have less to gain as I see it.

You speak of less or more fighting is not why this team will win or lose the Cup... but IMO it can make a difference when used to their benefit. And once again, there is a huge difference between using fighting in the correct way, and at the proper times, and getting in repeated all out brawls like those that we have seen lately, and like the ones the Broad Street Bullies used to live on in the Seventies.

What kind of fighting are you suggesting?
I'm not suggesting that every single game the Flyers go out and start line brawls and crack people over their heads with their sticks. All I'm saying is that I would like to see a pig brawl like that in a Flyers game from time to time. If it happens once every year I'd love it. If it happened more I would too.

I understand that adding extra situations like brawls makes an injury more possible, but this is part of the game. Its like people complaining about the all star game because you can get injured. People have gotten so soft in recent years. Injuries happen and can happen at any time, if you don't want to risk an injury in a fight then don't play hockey. You don't have to go out and fight every game, but don't, as fans, act like these guys are all glass jaws and should be scared to get in a fight because they may hurt themselves. Like I said before, you can get hurt going into corners. You can get hurt going for an icing. You can get hurt doing anything. You want it to be like the Rangers last season when Carcillo fought Gaborik and the Rangers just all sat there and watched it? The players like fighting in hockey. You think Chris Pronger after a game like the one last night in NY would be saying that he hopes that never happens again because he doesn't want anyone to get hurt? You think Mike Richards would say, we need to stay away from a fight because I might hurt my hand? No, if **** went down they would be the first ones over the boards to mix it up.

Old
02-12-2011, 02:39 PM
captainpaxil

last night made me care about the islanders in a way that no amount of draft picks could. what that says about me and the sport i dunno but its the honest truth. i cant wait to hate the fishsticks again.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 02:45 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 840
Quote:
Accidents happen. They're not premeditated.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
I'm not suggesting that every single game the Flyers go out and start line brawls and crack people over their heads with their sticks. All I'm saying is that I would like to see a pig brawl like that in a Flyers game from time to time. If it happens once every year I'd love it. If it happened more I would too.

I understand that adding extra situations like brawls makes an injury more possible, but this is part of the game. Its like people complaining about the all star game because you can get injured. People have gotten so soft in recent years. Injuries happen and can happen at any time, if you don't want to risk an injury in a fight then don't play hockey. You don't have to go out and fight every game, but don't, as fans, act like these guys are all glass jaws and should be scared to get in a fight because they may hurt themselves. Like I said before, you can get hurt going into corners. You can get hurt going for an icing. You can get hurt doing anything. You want it to be like the Rangers last season when Carcillo fought Gaborik and the Rangers just all sat there and watched it? The players like fighting in hockey. You think Chris Pronger after a game like the one last night in NY would be saying that he hopes that never happens again because he doesn't want anyone to get hurt? You think Mike Richards would say, we need to stay away from a fight because I might hurt my hand? No, if **** went down they would be the first ones over the boards to mix it up.
Please don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good fight in a game and I also enjoy watching when it gets nasty and you get a chippy game with hard hits and multiple fights... But I enjoy a Cup championship much more. I've seen two Cup and more fights and brawls than I can remember. There are very few seasons when we can look at our team and say that we have more than just a mere shot at the Cup if we get the breaks... there are few teams in Flyers history where the talent and heart and drive and coaching is at this level, and where there is depth and most players having good seasons... there are very few holes on this roster, and the rest of the NHL is not filled with exceptional teams blocking us. I want as many odd on the right side as we can get... and I want a healthy team that is not under the NHL microscope for infractions; I want the deck stacked in our favor.

I really fear Karma coming into play and would hate for a freak accident to spoil the run... and I fear fighting the Officials in another uphill battle -- F you, Leon Stickle!!! -- And I fear this team not running smoothly under Lavy's system... I don't want them getting out of sync either. There have been many seasons where the Flyers have thrived under the us vs the World mentality; this IMO is NOT one of those seasons where they need it... I want to see Pittsburgh and Boston panicking and trying crap, and limping into the Postseason.

I have n problem whatsoever watching a few fights along the way... and I don't want to see the hard hitting ever end in Flyers games... I just want them to be like the Montreal Dynasty of the lat Seventies that could and would play the game however they had to to win... Skill or rough it up; whatever it takes.

Old
02-12-2011, 05:27 PM
BernieParent

We saw what the Flyers do when the need to against Ottawa. And I'll admit that Holmgren looks like a real visionary this week for getting Shelley (though still paid him too much) to take care of the extracurriculars. I don't at all want to see either Bob or Boucher jumping in, though.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 05:31 PM
jb**

the flyers are not built for that and would probably be on the wrong end of the fights, which would be sad to watch. I would bet my mortgage pmt a memo goes out to all teams this week to keep the fighting down. The nhl will never embrace or market what sells. That is how you attract the casual fan

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 12:03 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Martin got 4 games, Gillies got 9, and Goddard got 10. I would gladly take that hit from either side to enjoy a game like that. Especially if the Flyers came away with the W like the Isles did. I'd take that even if it was Richards and Carter getting the suspensions (though I would imagine it would be Carcillo and/or Shelley getting at least one of the suspensions, with Hartnell probably getting the other if Carcillo or Shelley weren't playing).