HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill XI

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2011, 11:09 AM
razzy

vCash: 500
Stay the course Deano! We have a great young nucleus, solid farm team, tons of young prospects and great young goalies. Let's see if Kopi, Doughty, JJ, DB, WS can rally here. I want to be even younger next year and while we could maybe take a round in the playoffs I still think we are a little slow and really don't want to trade away too many kids prematurely.

Old
02-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty View Post
I see the logic in what you are saying but I think Simmonds is more than just serviceable. I think he's having an off year and that happens. He's young and he's growing. I think we have to be careful with trades because replacing a player with Simmond's upside could take years. He's not the best player on the team but he is definitely way above mediocre. I wouldn't want to see a trade happen unless we knew that there was more at the end of the tunnel than a 50/50 or a 60/40. I want more than that.

That said, I do not foresee any major trades at the deadline to grab "the player". I think moving Zeus if at all possible would be a good idea. Poni can go as well.

I agree with Tghost in reference to having no objections to picks. It will make some of the younger players step up since some of the vets would be out of the way. Plus, filling the cabinet with quality is always a good thing. More importantly, it would also supply ice time for those who are still growing into their role and make them compete for a playoff spot.

If we can grab a player without giving up too much then I'm all for it. I just don't see it happening.
Simmonds certainly isn't mediocre or serviceable, but he isn't Iginla either. He is a quantifiable commodity and a shiny piece in a trade. If he can get you a top 3 winger, then you have to pull the trigger, we are flush with bottom 6 depth, but we are struggling with skillful top talent. The deal has to be made, and I bet that Lombardi is open to the idea of trading him. I just wish he was last season when Kovalchuk was available... I think if we had traded for him, things would be a lot different.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Old
02-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
Oh and as for dealing for picks being a bad move all I can say is huh? Take a look at the constant cup teams, they will deal for picks/prospects any chance they get. Its part of being a healthy strong contending team. This years picks should show dividends two to three years from now. We are chock full of solid picks three of which should step in next year and be good to special players and then the following year should net us a couple more and so on.

Its always a good thing.
it's about being able to provide a pipeline or funnel of SOLID prospects to the NHL team. without this pipeline of talent a top level team cannot, will not remain a perennial contender.

players move on due to RFA, UFA, injury, age.....a GM, coach, team need to be able to replace these players with prospects that have talent. one of the issues the Kings have had forever is the inability to do this, which has resulted in the peaks and valleys of success. for the first time ever in the franchise's history they are developing this pipeline. what is lacking now is solid depth at the wing positions and a handful of snipers.

the problem with this system is the time commitment involved for the team and for the fans. i think DL did himself a major dis-service with his "5-year" plan, by stating that he started a timer on the turnaround. i understand why he said that but it makes his job more difficult because of expected expectations from fans by year 5. in this day and age of 'instant gratification' as fans we need to learn to be patient with the building and re-tooling process.

do i want the Kings to win now? hell yes, but not for the sake of ripping apart or derailing what has been assembled so far. to have put the time and effort into this plan so far and then make some knee jerk roster moves/trades defeats the long term result WE ALL WANT - the SC

Old
02-12-2011, 12:18 PM
johnjm22

Can we add Forsberg to the Pipe Dream category at least?

The Avs are not going to make the playoffs. They're 14th in the conference, 8 points out, have lost 6 in row. They have no defense, and no goaltending.

Forsberg stated helping the Avalanche make the playoffs was one of his main goals. If they're not going to be in the playoffs, what's the point from PF's perspective?

If Hejduk and Forsberg really want to help the Avs organization, they should allow them selves to be rented out. Each one could return a 1st round pick.

Then they can pull a Tkachuk and go back to Colorado in the offseason.

Old
02-12-2011, 12:35 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Barry:
Source: Kings have this years' pick on table

So atleast we know were keeping our 1st this year

Old
02-12-2011, 12:44 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Can we add Forsberg to the Pipe Dream category at least?

The Avs are not going to make the playoffs. They're 14th in the conference, 8 points out, have lost 6 in row. They have no defense, and no goaltending.

Forsberg stated helping the Avalanche make the playoffs was one of his main goals. If they're not going to be in the playoffs, what's the point from PF's perspective?

If Hejduk and Forsberg really want to help the Avs organization, they should allow them selves to be rented out. Each one could return a 1st round pick.

Then they can pull a Tkachuk and go back to Colorado in the offseason.
Colorado still has some injuries and Craig Anderson left the team for personal reasons. So he might have something more important going on in his real life which would explain his poor numbers this year. Forsberg and Hejduk both have no trade clauses, I doubt they get moved.

Old
02-12-2011, 01:17 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Colorado still has some injuries and Craig Anderson left the team for personal reasons. So he might have something more important going on in his real life which would explain his poor numbers this year. Forsberg and Hejduk both have no trade clauses, I doubt they get moved.
It's unlikely. But if the playoffs become out of reach, and management is looking around thinking we desperately need defense and goaltending prospects (which they do), then their most tradable assets are: Foote, Forsberg, and Hejuk. They could ask them to waive clauses as favor to the organization.

No one thought Oilers were going to move Smyth at the deadline, but they did.

And who knows, may be these guys actually want to get a chance at the playoffs.

Old
02-12-2011, 03:09 PM
Orenji

Hammond said on the telecast that the Kings are 100% buyers and looking around for the top line talent.

With Loktionov emerging as a dynamite center, we should be looking for a winger for Kopitar to play with.

Old
02-12-2011, 03:47 PM
NoLocus*

2011 off-season proposal.

IF LA acquires Vanek or another overpaid player(Gaborik).

Penner(4.25) for Smyth(6.25) + Hickey/Teubert+

Not that familiar with your players but something like this for a line up?
Vanek - Kopitar - Williams
Penner - Schenn - Brown
XXX - Stoll - Simmonds

Old
02-12-2011, 03:54 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
Hammond said on the telecast that the Kings are 100% buyers and looking around for the top line talent.

With Loktionov emerging as a dynamite center, we should be looking for a winger for Kopitar to play with.
and i will hold steadfast that said winger need be a playmaker.

Old
02-12-2011, 03:54 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post

The center position is looking great with Loktionov developing at the NHL level and Schenn ready for the big time.

Old
02-12-2011, 04:06 PM
HeadInjury

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
Barry:

Your skepticism is justified, but I think that he's probably right on this one. At some point we have to focus on the present.

Old
02-12-2011, 04:06 PM
Martyros

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLocus View Post
2011 off-season proposal.

IF LA acquires Vanek or another overpaid player(Gaborik).

Penner(4.25) for Smyth(6.25) + Hickey/Teubert+

Not that familiar with your players but something like this for a line up?
Vanek - Kopitar - Williams
Penner - Schenn - Brown
XXX - Stoll - Simmonds
Smyth's not getting traded.

Old
02-12-2011, 04:27 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadInjury View Post
Your skepticism is justified, but I think that he's probably right on this one. At some point we have to focus on the present.
But then this is something that, I think I'm safe in saying, everyone and their mothers has been saying all year including DL....

So he is "right" but then so is all of humanity.

On the topic of Simmonds:

I think he's being amazingly underrated. Simmonds is the personification of what a playoff player needs to be. Tough, physical, mean, and skilled. This is a guy who you want on your team heading into a 7th game. He isn't some flash in the pan regular season player he's a guy who gets better the more you push him around. Sure, he's having to figure out how to be a professional but I just can't imagine getting anyone who would really justify trading him let alone just some nothing rental. I think he's going to to out as a mid-20's goal scorer with a shot at 50ish pts while playing a power forward style....

Old
02-12-2011, 04:32 PM
onlyalad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
Barry:

Unless you are a lottery team, this year's pick is always on the table.

Old
02-12-2011, 04:32 PM
DoktorJeep
Original Bandwagoner

What about a guy like Michael Grabner (NYI)? He's young, cheap, has scored 20 goals, and its not like the Islanders are some franchise that has any sort of plan for improving. I'd give up Teubert + Muzzin for him.

Old
02-12-2011, 04:35 PM
guderian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorJeep View Post
What about a guy like Michael Grabner (NYI)? He's young, cheap, has scored 20 goals, and its not like the Islanders are some franchise that has any sort of plan for improving. I'd give up Teubert + Muzzin for him.
what about Michalek, Sens are selling and he could be just the right fit for Kings

and you would not need roster players to get him, couple of picks would do

Last edited by guderian: 02-12-2011 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Language :D
Old
02-12-2011, 04:35 PM
SuperAlmeida

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorJeep View Post
Grabner is a RW! We need a LW.

Old
02-12-2011, 04:42 PM
HeadInjury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
But then this is something that, I think I'm safe in saying, everyone and their mothers has been saying all year including DL....

So he is "right" but then so is all of humanity.
No doubt on that.

Old
02-12-2011, 05:42 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
We should trade with Columbus for Filatov and Tyutin and then sign Kitsyn to an entry-level contract.

Filatov-Loktionov-Kitsyn
Voynov-Tyutin

Old
02-12-2011, 05:50 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
it's about being able to provide a pipeline or funnel of SOLID prospects to the NHL team. without this pipeline of talent a top level team cannot, will not remain a perennial contender.

players move on due to RFA, UFA, injury, age.....a GM, coach, team need to be able to replace these players with prospects that have talent. one of the issues the Kings have had forever is the inability to do this, which has resulted in the peaks and valleys of success. for the first time ever in the franchise's history they are developing this pipeline. what is lacking now is solid depth at the wing positions and a handful of snipers.

the problem with this system is the time commitment involved for the team and for the fans. i think DL did himself a major dis-service with his "5-year" plan, by stating that he started a timer on the turnaround. i understand why he said that but it makes his job more difficult because of expected expectations from fans by year 5. in this day and age of 'instant gratification' as fans we need to learn to be patient with the building and re-tooling process.

do i want the Kings to win now? hell yes, but not for the sake of ripping apart or derailing what has been assembled so far. to have put the time and effort into this plan so far and then make some knee jerk roster moves/trades defeats the long term result WE ALL WANT - the SC
That's pretty much what I am saying.

Getting picks is a good thing, especially for players that we are likely to lose to free agency anyways and having the kind of talented pipeline that we do is a great thing and can only be improved by adding to it as often as possible.

Voynov is a legitmate #1/3 potential dman.
Deslauriers is as good in my opinion but is also a better skater and plays angry
Muzzin is a #4/6 pmd dman who has shown that he is capable of being a solid nhl dman with a little time and grease.

Hickey is far from a bust in my opinion and if I had to place a bet about where I think he will end up I would say that he will make his way to being a second pairing talented pmd within the next two years.

Tuebert is a grey area for me, at times I can see where he is slowly progressing his way into becoming a tough stay at home monster of a third pairing guy and at other times he looks like he is easily confused. Too tough to call but he is still valued by other GM's and as such holds a certain amount of value.

Then we have Forbort who is 6'6 heavy and tough but his greatest attribute is that he plays smart hockey and for a kid who is still learning and developing his game that is one of the most important things that there is. I like him allot and will be shocked if he doesn't eventually become a top pairing guy somewhere in the league though I do think he is at least 3 or 4 years away from doing so.

We have JB and Jonsey behind Quick in the nets and look really really good there.

We have Linden Vey who all of us should make the time to watch at least one of his games if you haven't already. He is nails and going to be a stud NHL winger and I think within the next 2/3 years. He plays like he has one last chance to make it every shift, if he keeps it up he is going to be a long time fan favorite.

Tyler Toffoli is the real deal but how his game will translate into the NHL has me wondering. He will be an offencive threat and will in my opinion be a great NHL'er, its just will he develop soon enough to fill our needs or will he take a bit longer and be better suited as trade bait down the road, I don't know yet but I love his game and can't see any fail on him.

Weal has the skill to make it at any level he wants, his drive is the only thing that I can see holding him back if there is anything at all that would do so. He isn't big but he does play a smart game and I could see him as a 20/20 2nd/3rd liner with a little more upside.

Kitsyn is a mean tough old school Russian who either doesn't understand what the word quit means or simply refuses to recognize it. He is a 50/50 guy in my opinion, he will either make it and be very good or fail to do so and bolt back to a long KHL career, tough to say. I would have no problem putting him in Manchester and then after a season up with the Kings to see what he can do.

Kozun will make his mark in the NHL rather it is as a King or not who knows.

Moller will play more games in the NHL but same thing goes as it does with Kozun.

The list goes on.

My point is that I see us as having a very deep and talented pool of kids that we can plug into our line up and as early as next year will be a much younger and better team as a result of it.

Schenn should and will be a productive rookie for us and is clearly showing us why it was a good thing that he got his last year of junior eligibility out of the way, rushing him would have been a mistake and now he has more than proven to himself and everyone else that he should be an exceptional player in the NHL and considered one of the best young players around.

With another solid draft this coming year (not as deep as some but nowhere near as bad as 04 or 06 depending on how you rate drafts) we could be even closer to set.

I know I left allot of our talented kids off the list but to prove a point, we are deep and very solid and adding to the pool is only going to be a great thing.

Now will we move any of them and or one or two of our young roster players to get a very talented skill guy for our top 3? Its possible but I don't know how or when or if it will happen.

Old
02-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Fat Elvis

Great post Tonnelli, an exciting time to be a Kings fan.

Old
02-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
That's pretty much what I am saying.

Getting picks is a good thing, especially for players that we are likely to lose to free agency anyways and having the kind of talented pipeline that we do is a great thing and can only be improved by adding to it as often as possible.

Voynov is a legitmate #1/3 potential dman.
Deslauriers is as good in my opinion but is also a better skater and plays angry
Muzzin is a #4/6 pmd dman who has shown that he is capable of being a solid nhl dman with a little time and grease.

Hickey is far from a bust in my opinion and if I had to place a bet about where I think he will end up I would say that he will make his way to being a second pairing talented pmd within the next two years.

Tuebert is a grey area for me, at times I can see where he is slowly progressing his way into becoming a tough stay at home monster of a third pairing guy and at other times he looks like he is easily confused. Too tough to call but he is still valued by other GM's and as such holds a certain amount of value.

Then we have Forbort who is 6'6 heavy and tough but his greatest attribute is that he plays smart hockey and for a kid who is still learning and developing his game that is one of the most important things that there is. I like him allot and will be shocked if he doesn't eventually become a top pairing guy somewhere in the league though I do think he is at least 3 or 4 years away from doing so.

We have JB and Jonsey behind Quick in the nets and look really really good there.

We have Linden Vey who all of us should make the time to watch at least one of his games if you haven't already. He is nails and going to be a stud NHL winger and I think within the next 2/3 years. He plays like he has one last chance to make it every shift, if he keeps it up he is going to be a long time fan favorite.

Tyler Toffoli is the real deal but how his game will translate into the NHL has me wondering. He will be an offencive threat and will in my opinion be a great NHL'er, its just will he develop soon enough to fill our needs or will he take a bit longer and be better suited as trade bait down the road, I don't know yet but I love his game and can't see any fail on him.

Weal has the skill to make it at any level he wants, his drive is the only thing that I can see holding him back if there is anything at all that would do so. He isn't big but he does play a smart game and I could see him as a 20/20 2nd/3rd liner with a little more upside.

Kitsyn is a mean tough old school Russian who either doesn't understand what the word quit means or simply refuses to recognize it. He is a 50/50 guy in my opinion, he will either make it and be very good or fail to do so and bolt back to a long KHL career, tough to say. I would have no problem putting him in Manchester and then after a season up with the Kings to see what he can do.

Kozun will make his mark in the NHL rather it is as a King or not who knows.

Moller will play more games in the NHL but same thing goes as it does with Kozun.

The list goes on.

My point is that I see us as having a very deep and talented pool of kids that we can plug into our line up and as early as next year will be a much younger and better team as a result of it.

Schenn should and will be a productive rookie for us and is clearly showing us why it was a good thing that he got his last year of junior eligibility out of the way, rushing him would have been a mistake and now he has more than proven to himself and everyone else that he should be an exceptional player in the NHL and considered one of the best young players around.

With another solid draft this coming year (not as deep as some but nowhere near as bad as 04 or 06 depending on how you rate drafts) we could be even closer to set.

I know I left allot of our talented kids off the list but to prove a point, we are deep and very solid and adding to the pool is only going to be a great thing.

Now will we move any of them and or one or two of our young roster players to get a very talented skill guy for our top 3? Its possible but I don't know how or when or if it will happen.
bingo.....

LA is close, well closer than it was a few years ago. what they aren't is a legitimate SC contender at this point. it was nice seeing pre-season posts saying so, but imo i think that jacked with quite a few minds in the organization.

i also think it set overly high levels of expectations for the fans that LA is in the upper echelon of the league. as a result with the struggles and up's and down's of this season, the fans are over reacting and demanding DL pull the trigger on deals to get the team up the standings, deep into the playoffs and playing for the cup. sorry folks but it isnt going to happen this season, or next.

i knew this season would be rocky and next year as well. as the team progresses in maturation, skill and roster times will be tough for them and for us fans. it's part of the process of taking a franchise that for DECADES has been reliant on rentals, old vets and a patchwork roster; then transforming it into a young, talented, disciplined organization looking to compete every year.

imo for DL to make a trade or two at this point that would strip a player(s) or prospect(s) that everyone knows is key to the long-term success is just foolhardy at this point. my predicition is that LA is and will be geared and ready to move into the upper echelon in 2-3 years.

sorry guys but that's the truth, DL has to let this first 'core' of players mature and then see if they can lead. once the like of Smyth, Zus, Willie, etc move on the organization has to see what it has. the core of DB, Kopi, DD, JJ, etc will be expected to serve in those vet roles bringing the next 'core' along. it's at this point when LA essentially has two groups of core players coming together they will be ready or not to go for the cup.

to expect anything more than a first round playoff win now is to much imo, because they just don't have the experience and depth to go any further. to make some moves for the sake of pushing past that and losing in the 2nd or 3rd round doesn't make sense. all they gain is a higher draft pick and a handful more of playoff games under their belt.

Old
02-12-2011, 06:38 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
bingo.....

LA is close, well closer than it was a few years ago. what they aren't is a legitimate SC contender at this point. it was nice seeing pre-season posts saying so, but imo i think that jacked with quite a few minds in the organization.

i also think it set overly high levels of expectations for the fans that LA is in the upper echelon of the league. as a result with the struggles and up's and down's of this season, the fans are over reacting and demanding DL pull the trigger on deals to get the team up the standings, deep into the playoffs and playing for the cup. sorry folks but it isnt going to happen this season, or next.

i knew this season would be rocky and next year as well. as the team progresses in maturation, skill and roster times will be tough for them and for us fans. it's part of the process of taking a franchise that for DECADES has been reliant on rentals, old vets and a patchwork roster; then transforming it into a young, talented, disciplined organization looking to compete every year.

imo for DL to make a trade or two at this point that would strip a player(s) or prospect(s) that everyone knows is key to the long-term success is just foolhardy at this point. my predicition is that LA is and will be geared and ready to move into the upper echelon in 2-3 years.

sorry guys but that's the truth, DL has to let this first 'core' of players mature and then see if they can lead. once the like of Smyth, Zus, Willie, etc move on the organization has to see what it has. the core of DB, Kopi, DD, JJ, etc will be expected to serve in those vet roles bringing the next 'core' along. it's at this point when LA essentially has two groups of core players coming together they will be ready or not to go for the cup.

to expect anything more than a first round playoff win now is to much imo, because they just don't have the experience and depth to go any further. to make some moves for the sake of pushing past that and losing in the 2nd or 3rd round doesn't make sense. all they gain is a higher draft pick and a handful more of playoff games under their belt.
I have a feeling a trade gets done. The reason everyone is demanding a trade because what we need is a top 3 winger, and that is not within the system. It is something we need now, and also something we'll need in the future in order to compete. Half of those players on that list will never play for the Kings, or will simply not have a roster spot available. It is a waste to let them rot. While, in the end, there is no need for some suicide rush to make a deal, one must be done. Even Lombardi has said and acknowledged that it is the number one team need, outside of "youngsters stepping up", and it must be done through a trade.

Old
02-12-2011, 06:44 PM
northernKing

Quote:
I have heard the same we will be sellers at the deadline rumors and believe them to be true. I know that we are willing to move Zues and Poni and that there is interest in Zues from a few teams one of them being Tampa Bay.

But consider us as sellers, it also means that we will be buying regardless of what the return might be. You can't do one without the other. In this coming draft it would be great to have a second first round pick giving us the ability to move up into the top ten might be a critical thing.

I still look for us to make smaller more well thought out moves than us going after any big names regardless of how we are doing in the standings.

Who knows?
Handzus to TB for James Wright would be a great move for LA!

Closed Thread