HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Kings vs. Capitals - 2/12/11 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
02-12-2011, 02:33 PM
null33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Wow that was a fantastic third period.

Question for Terry Murray, how many goals were scored off the cycle or the point shot?
Cripes. Kopitar's was. Handzus' was scored off Simmonds bad angle shot from the circle while both Handzus and Kopitar were crashing the crease. Not a cycle, but certainly part of Murray's philosophy of "shot mentality" and "net presence".

Loktionov's and Stoll's goals "off the rush" were outnumberd attacks off defensive breakdowns. Those are rare against good defensive teams. Good on the Kings for finishing.

The cycle is about more than scoring goals -- it's about keeping the other guys from scoring, too.

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 02:34 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Goal number 1: Kopitar is in the middle of the offensive zone. He makes the pass from between the circles to Simmonds. Simmonds doesn’t take a random shot. He doesn’t go behind the net. He doesn’t cycle. He drives to the net, takes the shot and Kopitar picks up the loose puck.

Goal number 2: Clifford drives through the middle of the ice. Takes the shot from just right of the hashmarks, rebound, Loktionov from one foot above the crease puts it in. No cycle. No bad angle shot. No shot from the point hoping for a rebound.

Goal number 3: Simmonds gets away from the boards. Drives to the net. Creates the loose puck. Handzus at the front sweeps it in. This one is especially important. Simmonds did not shoot it behind the net. He did not keep a cycle or develop one. He didn’t pass it to the point. He didn’t maintain his position along the half boards. He didn’t stop the puck to play this ******** “heavy stick” 1970 offense. He did what the post lock out game demands. Creativity. Creating time and space through skating and that creativity.

Goal number 4: Out numbered attack. Williams skates it in and from the left of the hashmarks he makes a cross ice pass to Stoll who is at the right of the hashmarks. Just like that. 4-1.
If they did all that today, and they were playing the same system they've been playing for the last few seasons, what is it about Murray's system that has not allowed them to do what they did today, at any time, when the opportunity presented itself? Absolutely nothing. If the players execute on the ice, what system a team plays doesn't matter. If the players don't execute on the ice, the system doesn't matter. It's hockey. There are only so many ways to play it.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 02:37 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars H View Post
Cripes. Kopitar's was. Handzus' was scored off Simmonds bad angle shot from the circle while both Handzus and Kopitar were crashing the crease. Not a cycle, but certainly part of Murray's philosophy of "shot mentality" and "net presence".

Loktionov's and Stoll's goals "off the rush" were outnumberd attacks off defensive breakdowns. Those are rare against good defensive teams. Good on the Kings for finishing.

The cycle is about more than scoring goals -- it's about keeping the other guys from scoring, too.
I know the first goal came off the cycle. The key difference however was that the play started and ended down low. They got away from forcing shots from the point, which was huge.

I know the cycle is about more than scoring goals.... after you've built a lead that is.

Zus' goal came off a rush play too that wasn't a defensive breakdown. It didn't come immediately off the rush, but the play happened with possession zone entry and immediate and direct attack at the net. No set up, no cycle, just 'get the **** out of my way I have blue paint to crash'.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Inner Turbulence

Send a message via MSN to Inner Turbulence
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
So Bernier better be starting tmrw. It's win and your in right TM?
I think that theory lasted about 3 days mid-january in the midst of a disastrous streak when Quick was struggling. Nothing wrong with giving Bernier back-to-back games after a win when we were struggling for wins.

Quick is back on his game, so expect him tomorrow.

Inner Turbulence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 02:46 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Great win! Gotta beat Philly to make up that ground.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Nice post Josh Deitell. I'd like to add that the Kings appear to be a better-disciplined defensive team than the Caps, from the limited perspective of today's game.

Let's not forget, defensive discipline is also a coaching issue. The Kings are right at (or virtually at) the very top of the league as far as goals against this season, this little factoid appears to be easy to forget around here.

The Kings can & will make the playoffs with this caliber of defensive hockey.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 03:13 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Hard to argue with the results. The Kings can be incredibly frustrating to watch sometimes but the results lately have been there. If they can figure out how to play 3 periods of solid hockey rather than 2 and Lombardi can tinker the lineup they should be in the mix. You just gotta take it one game at a time and look at the bright side!

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Ollie Weeks

Neat fact: all three of Loki's goals this year have been big ones in the 3rd period.

3-0-2 on our hellish roadtrip!

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Omni Owl

I hope Richardson plays tomorrow.

Omni Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 03:30 PM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Wonder how the lines will change when Marco comes back. We will have to send someone down.
There will be a trade

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 03:35 PM
SMoneyMonkey

God, I love Bernier. He's positioning when the caps crashed the net on the powerplay in the third was amazing. That said, Quick should probably start tomorrow, we have two good goaltenders, neither of which is on a cold streak, may as well not tire them out with back to backs. I'd like to see Bernier in every third game or so, though.

And Lokti is a god. Love him! Great game.

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 03:44 PM
no name

Ok, I think Lokti looked good at center and I assume he'll get better.

Hypothetical question so humor me. We can't have Schenn ad Lokti as 2 of our top3 centers next year. Too much inexperience. Assuming Loktionov establishes himsel does it make Schenn expendable for a guy like Vanek? Lokti's cap hit is 1/3 of Schenns so it will ease the 7.1 million dollar Vanek cap hit. Mind you that this is all hypothetical.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 03:45 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

I was able to watch the 1st and 2nd periods, then had to go out and missed the third period...

I am accepting all cash offers not to watch any more games this season

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Loki <3

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I think we should bench Greene and give Voynov a game.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 03:56 PM
dabeechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
Nice post Josh Deitell. I'd like to add that the Kings appear to be a better-disciplined defensive team than the Caps, from the limited perspective of today's game.

Let's not forget, defensive discipline is also a coaching issue. The Kings are right at (or virtually at) the very top of the league as far as goals against this season, this little factoid appears to be easy to forget around here.
LA is 5th in GA/G and WAS is 6th...

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 03:58 PM
AStammer7*

Big Win For Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I'm happy the team finally played well in front of Bernier.

Lokti continues to improve. He looks much, much, better at center. He even made some nice Datsyukian style defensive plays.

Smyth had a nice game.
This is a game the Kings definitely needed. A good win for Bernier and goals by Kopi,Lokti, Handzus,Stoll were what we/they needed!!! Nice work by Simmonds,great pass by Williams and nice slapper by Clifford enabled our heros to score and win!!!

PS Always thought the Kings of the future would line up with Kopi-Schenn and Lokti at centre,nothing wrond with having 3 scoring lines and 1 checking-energy-banging line.

AStammer7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Devls Advocate

Does anyone get the same impression that having Zeus and Simmer on the 1st line was an audition for Ottawa and Edmonton????

Devls Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 04:03 PM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

GOTTA BLAST!

FrozenKing18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 04:08 PM
AStammer7*

Would be Nice To See Voynov In LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I think we should bench Greene and give Voynov a game.
Here's a D-man(VVoynov) that has paid his dues having spent 3 years in Manchester and becoming their most reliable Defensive/Offensive presence. Greener is the type of D-man we need in the backend(tough,physical) but Voynov would add a offensive game that Greener does not possess. That is not to say I'madvocating the Kings to trade Greene,I'm NOT!!! Would like to see Kings keep both and play both with Doughty-Johnson, Martinez, and Forbort when he arrives in 2-3 years time. In a few years we could have the youngest and best D in the NHL(World). And nothing has been said of Hickey-Teubert either...regardless would like to see the Kings give Voynov a 5 -10 game stint this year...will probably be 2-3 games though...

AStammer7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 04:11 PM
William H Bonney

Happy with the win. Team defense was great. Bernier really wasn't tested and that's the way I like it.

Even with his increased focus on defense this year....Mike Green still sucks.

02-12-2011, 04:25 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I thought we had a good shot, way to go.

One of the keys that I saw was that Simmonds was a major contributor to all aspects of the game. He certainly looked like the old Simmonds that used to drive the net and be a pest as apposed to what we have been seeing this season. He and Clifford both had good games.

AMart played drift D for the first time in many games and that is where he is best suited. His skating is just so solid that given the space and time he makes the right decision more often than not. His spot play and positional movement was very good, not DD/JJ/RS good but very good considering he is a rookie.

Willie had a good game and looked like he does when he is on his game. I have had the feeling that he rushed his way back into the line up but today he really looked like the calm tough smart vet Dman that he has been at times this season.

Dustin had a good game in so much as he is capable lately. He is positionally aware but seems to be struggling with his push timing. Sort of to be expected with how much he is being bounced around. He isn't talented enough to cause his line mates to improve but he is talented enough to where he should be able to be plugged into any line he plays on and be successful.

JStoll looked like a guy who wanted to make up for his mistake from last game. He came out moving his feet and didn't stop until the end of the game. He isn't a guy who can take his team and put them on his back and win a game on his own but for my money this has been his best season and if he can keep it up I would reward him with an extension.

Yep, today looked like our players did what they had to do to win instead of doing what is being asked of them.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 04:33 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Quick to start tmrw, so much for win and your in.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Hypothetical question so humor me. We can't have Schenn ad Lokti as 2 of our top3 centers next year. Too much inexperience. Assuming Loktionov establishes himsel does it make Schenn expendable for a guy like Vanek? Lokti's cap hit is 1/3 of Schenns so it will ease the 7.1 million dollar Vanek cap hit. Mind you that this is all hypothetical.

If you can afford it I can't see the reason not to run with 4 centers all of whom can play defense, score, and make their line mates better. When/if the kids develop we'd have a chance of having the best middle in the whole NHL.

What I'd do is let the competition make my decision for me. Let Loki and Schenn fight it out for ice time with Stoll sitting around being the reliable vet. I'd also try to resign Handzus to a short-term contract just to give some flexibility while the kids develop. What I wouldn't do is throw away a possible 2nd line center just because I'm fixated on the fact that he's playing on the "3rd line." Which to my mind is doesn't really exist.

I still remember a few years ago we all debated if we had one top-6 center or none... the chance to have 4!... Such a shocking change.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 05:05 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
So did I do good Sydor25 ? or do you still want Orenji to do the GDT's ?

No offense Orenji ... we needed the change at the time, and you did great
Wn and you're in!!!*

* Not to be confused with Murray's version. I actually mean it.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote