HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Startling numbers..

Old
02-12-2011, 09:35 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
Very short sample but Enroth has been better than Lalime. We know what we get with Patrick. Not much.
Enroth is an unknown still.
I personally would be playing the backup 4-5 games rest of the year.
Lalime would probably go 1-3 in that stretch but maybe 0-4. If Enroth can get you two more points, isn't it worth it?
To me it is. I hate the playoffs when the Sabres are out.
We'd get crushed by the Flyers, unless refs make calls which they don't in playoffs. If we limb to 7th? Who knows.

Enroth .897 SV%, 2.90 GAA in 269 minutes
Lalime .890 SV%, 2.96 GAA in 365 minutes.

That difference is essentially meaningless. One game for either could swing the numbers significantly. From a subjective standpoint the only time I thought Enroth actually looked pretty good was his last game (1-0 loss to the Pens) and was just getting by.

You don't have faith in Lalime, which is your right. But I think you're ignoring other variables and just re-emphasizing the fact that you don't have faith in Lalime. There's just too little solid information to make any kind of reasonable judgment that's not from the gut. We all know how you feel about the team's goaltending.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 10:26 AM
JD SabreFan

Send a message via AIM to JD SabreFan
That's what happens when you pop the question.

JD SabreFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 10:30 AM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
Enroth .897 SV%, 2.90 GAA in 269 minutes
Lalime .890 SV%, 2.96 GAA in 365 minutes.

That difference is essentially meaningless. One game for either could swing the numbers significantly. From a subjective standpoint the only time I thought Enroth actually looked pretty good was his last game (1-0 loss to the Pens) and was just getting by.

You don't have faith in Lalime, which is your right. But I think you're ignoring other variables and just re-emphasizing the fact that you don't have faith in Lalime. There's just too little solid information to make any kind of reasonable judgment that's not from the gut. We all know how you feel about the team's goaltending.
Why don't you go back two more seasons on Patty? There is no reasonable expectation he will play well. He's got nine wins in three years.
To me you have nothing to lose trying Enroth.
And, I'm not anti-Miller. I just don't see him as the elite goalie others do. Good but having an off year. Last year he was dominant. To be elite, he needs to be considered as a Vezina finalist every year.
I also DO NOT want to trade Miller. The people who do are nuts. We have zero other proven goalies. Zero. That's why the guy is starting 34 games in a row or whatever it is.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 11:08 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
Why don't you go back two more seasons on Patty? There is no reasonable expectation he will play well. He's got nine wins in three years.
Sure, and if you go back to 2008, he's averaged more or less 3 GAs per game and stopped 9 out of every 10 shots. Wins... is not the stat I like to use when evaluating backups, particularly with this team. I don't personally think that stat line is good enough, but the W-L record has too many factors out of the control of a goalie who plays at the whim of his coach.

Quote:
To me you have nothing to lose trying Enroth.
Sure, but there's no reason to believe he give you a better chance at 2 points than Lalime or a tired Miller. It's all about gut feeling

Quote:
And, I'm not anti-Miller. I just don't see him as the elite goalie others do. Good but having an off year. Last year he was dominant. To be elite, he needs to be considered as a Vezina finalist every year.
I also DO NOT want to trade Miller. The people who do are nuts. We have zero other proven goalies. Zero. That's why the guy is starting 34 games in a row or whatever it is.
Well, I don't know anything about the elite arguments. To me it's semantics and I don't find those kinds of discussions personally interesting (but that's not a criticism of those who enjoy that type of argument). However, when you suggest that Miller should be starting 55 games a year, which is sitting one out of every three games, which is essentially sitting once a week, that doesn't seem like a particularly ringing endorsement to me.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 05:42 PM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
Sure, and if you go back to 2008, he's averaged more or less 3 GAs per game and stopped 9 out of every 10 shots. Wins... is not the stat I like to use when evaluating backups, particularly with this team. I don't personally think that stat line is good enough, but the W-L record has too many factors out of the control of a goalie who plays at the whim of his coach.

Sure, but there's no reason to believe he give you a better chance at 2 points than Lalime or a tired Miller. It's all about gut feeling

Well, I don't know anything about the elite arguments. To me it's semantics and I don't find those kinds of discussions personally interesting (but that's not a criticism of those who enjoy that type of argument). However, when you suggest that Miller should be starting 55 games a year, which is sitting one out of every three games, which is essentially sitting once a week, that doesn't seem like a particularly ringing endorsement to me.
I'm not sure how you can argue we have as a good a chance with Lalime? Look at his record. Ws do mean something. As for the tired Miller, you really think he can start 27 of the last 29 or even all 29. That's just insane.
It doesn't matter. We all know Lalime gets one more start from Ruff. That's the way he rolls. I'll be cheering for Patrick and I hope I'm wrong.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote