HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Benoit Pouliot appreciation thread

Old
02-12-2011, 01:23 PM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Benoit Pouliot appreciation thread

Get this guy in the top 6 now. He's the second best hitter on the team, has great hands, a laser shot and just knocked out a Boston Bruin. I don't see what the delay is.

Anyway, three cheers for Benny.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Picaroon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
Get this guy in the top 6 now. He's the second best hitter on the team, has great hands, a laser shot and just knocked out a Boston Bruin. I don't see what the delay is.

Anyway, three cheers for Benny.
100% agree. I have been saying this forever. He is probably my favorite hab. He has fan favorite and Montreal Lifer written all over him.

Picaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 01:35 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithsonhab View Post
100% agree. I have been saying this forever. He is probably my favorite hab. He has fan favorite and Montreal Lifer written all over him.
He doesn't have many games under his belt. He's done well imo. His body is still adapting I would think. Going to be a very important player for us.

Old
02-12-2011, 01:36 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

I love the way he plays - when he plays.

When he's on his game he's so dominant but it seems that every second game he floats around waiting for his teammates to set him up. He's never been known as a hitter or a power forward but it would be nice seeing him use his size to his advantage a bit more often. If he were to consistently play his game he would be a good top-6 guy. Otherwise, I love having him and DD on the same line with a grinder (Darche / White). The line has such a great combination of offence and defence. It seems they always have control of the puck and they're consistently our most reliable line. I'm surprised they're not getting more minutes, but they're doing a lot better than Gomez/Eller/AK

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 01:41 PM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Problem is, he'll need a centre to pass to.

2nd line centre is Gomez, that won't work. Put him with Plekanec, so who do you take out? Pacioretty or Gionta? It gets even more complicated once Cammalleri is back in the line-up.

It's tough. But I'd also like to see him with someone that can find him open so he can let that shot go.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Picaroon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post

2nd line centre is Gomez, that won't work. Put him with Plekanec, so who do you take out? Pacioretty or Gionta? It gets even more complicated once Cammalleri is back in the line-up.

It's tough. But I'd also like to see him with someone that can find him open so he can let that shot go.
At this point it's safe to say that DD and Pouliot's line is our second line. At least they are playing that way. Definitely not a good idea to put him with gomez.

Picaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post

Sounds like he should stay where he is. Its a 3rd line duo with top 6 calibur skill in pouliot-desharnais.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 01:47 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I started a thread last year saying Pouliot is the next Vicent Lecavalier.

It was a joke, but now I mean it. Love this kid. Hope we re-sign him.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 01:48 PM
googlymoogly

He kind of reminds a little of Stephane Richer. The difference is Richer had all the talent and rarely used it. Pouliot on the other hand has the talent but is confused at times on how to put it together. Richer was a floater I don't think Pouliot is, he just lacks confidence in himself at times.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Skarjak

I think Pouliot's struggles early on in the season when he was on a line with Gomez and Gionta can't really be attributed to him, as everyone playing with Gomez (save for Pacioretty) appears to be incapable of producing.

In a few games this year, when we've been down by a goal in the third, Pouliot has been put on Plekanec's line and as far as I'm concerned, did really well in those situations. Honestly, I think he would be ready for a bigger role with the team, but Plekanec already has our two best wingers playing with him, so the only option would be to put him with Gomez...

I think having an "unofficial" second line of Pouliot, Desharnais and *other winger* might be our best bet right now. You adjust their ice time in terms of how well the Gomez line is playing. Might want to put Cammalleri with those two if he can't produce with Gomez.

Pouliot can be quite a sniper, and as he showed when he first came to Montréal, can score a lot of goals around the crease if his center is good. While he's sniped many past goalies this season, he hasn't been as productive in front of the net, which might be because he hasn't had a center as good on his line as spring of 2010 Gomez. He could be a very good complimentary winger, if put on the right line.

I don't see why we wouldn't get him a new contract this summer.

Skarjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 05:49 PM
tinyzombies

I just think it's weird that we need size in the top 6 with skill and we have this guy sitting there on the third line. He's #2 on the team in hits. He has all the tools. Put him with the right people.

I would drop Gomez to the third line at this point and shift Cammy to center. Or move Eller to that spot if he can handle it. I think he can. Both of those guys just need someone to play with.

Pacioretty-Pleks-Gionta
Pouliot-Eller-Cammalleri
Desharnais-Gomez-Kostitsyn (get these two slackers away from checking and they might produce some depth scoring; Gomez might also want to win that second line spot, so might work hard)
Moen-Halpern/Maxwell-White

Old
02-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Gally11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
I just think it's weird that we need size in the top 6 with skill and we have this guy sitting there on the third line. He's #2 on the team in hits. He has all the tools. Put him with the right people.

I would drop Gomez to the third line at this point and shift Cammy to center. Or move Eller to that spot if he can handle it. I think he can. Both of those guys just need someone to play with.

Pacioretty-Pleks-Gionta
Pouliot-Eller-Cammalleri
Desharnais-Gomez-Kostitsyn (get these two slackers away from checking and they might produce some depth scoring; Gomez might also want to win that second line spot, so might work hard)
Moen-Halpern/Maxwell-White
I don't think habs want to be paying $8 mil for a third line center is the problem lol

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 10:07 PM
Marc-E-

I really like the game of Pouliot right now. He's more involved; he skates; he shoots; he places his body at the right place. I'm confident he's becoming a solid NHLer for years to come.

Marc-E- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 10:18 PM
puckguy11
This Space for Rent

He was the only reason I watched the Wild after Gaborik bailed; Benny is a joy to watch and is one talented hockey player.

puckguy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 10:58 PM
Hades

I think the 3rd line is a perfect fit for him. I'm sure he's happy playing there. He's a guy that doesn't seem able to deal with the pressure of playing on a top line.

The way I see it, the Habs will be a very dominant team if we have Pouliot on the third line. If we play him on the second, he'll end up asking for more money than we could offer him. If he stays on the third, he'll know his role and will probably give us 15~20 goals a year. He seems happy where he is. He's not consistent enough to make the top 6 anyways. He can be a good replacement for when a top player is injured, but other than that I think he's perfect for the 3rd line right now. The Habs will be a team with good depth once we get rid of Gomez's salary and find a more consistent guy than AK. Every line will be a threat to score, except maybe the 4th.

Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Prairie Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
I think the 3rd line is a perfect fit for him. I'm sure he's happy playing there. He's a guy that doesn't seem able to deal with the pressure of playing on a top line.

The way I see it, the Habs will be a very dominant team if we have Pouliot on the third line. If we play him on the second, he'll end up asking for more money than we could offer him. If he stays on the third, he'll know his role and will probably give us 15~20 goals a year. He seems happy where he is. He's not consistent enough to make the top 6 anyways. He can be a good replacement for when a top player is injured, but other than that I think he's perfect for the 3rd line right now. The Habs will be a team with good depth once we get rid of Gomez's salary and find a more consistent guy than AK. Every line will be a threat to score, except maybe the 4th.
He's okay on the third line but I would like to see him rotated onto the PP every now and then. I might be interesting to see him on the point given his heavy slapper and general sweet arsenal of shots. I don't really see that happening though given that we already have Wiz, PK and Weber with sweet shots and Hammer has amazing vision from the point.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 11:11 PM
habdynasty

Benoit just keeps getting better and better, such a smooth skater with great hands.

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Habskrieg

I don't want to be a buzz kill. But the guy's only 1 point in his last 8 games, 5 points in his last 14 games (or 20 games as a matter of fact). He looked great tonight thanks to DD. I don't hate the guy, but he's far from being great atm. I do hope he scores more though as he has been looking better. But still, seriously... relax, we won a big game. Doesn't mean we've won the cup and all our players are gods...
Next thing you know we bring up Gomez appreciation thread back.

Habskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 11:45 PM
KadoCH

Patches-Pleks-Gio
Pouliot-DD-Cammalleri
Eller-Gomez-Kostitsyn
Moen-Halpern-Darche/White

Make it happen Jacques, Pouliot has all the tools just needs to put them all together on consistent basis and he can be a star.

Love the the size him and Patches bring to the skilled forward group.

KadoCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 11:56 PM
CuteHockeyBunny

Pouliot is a very very quiet power-forward/sniper. he does what needs to be done but i can see why some people regarded him as lazy earlier in the season.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 11:57 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadoCH View Post
Patches-Pleks-Gio
Pouliot-DD-Cammalleri
Eller-Gomez-Kostitsyn
Moen-Halpern-Darche/White

Make it happen Jacques, Pouliot has all the tools just needs to put them all together on consistent basis and he can be a star.

Love the the size him and Patches bring to the skilled forward group.
**** no, I'm done with that line. Send Eller down and let him find his game and confidence again, but that line has just not been cutting it, period.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 12:31 AM
Erika

Why in the bloody hell Jacques Martin never puts him on the powerplay?!

While a joke like Gomez receives his regular powerplay ice time, Pouliot has done everything to earn it, but it's like if Martin doesn't care at all !! He hits, grinds, make nice plays, backcheck, score goals, etc...

Reminds me of the Sergei Kostitsyn situation. I hope that it doesn't end up the same way, because I like Pouliot alot !!

But knowing Martin, Pouliot has no chance of demoting Gomez... The guy has receives his regular ice time no matter what happens... which is sad...

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 01:07 AM
CuteHockeyBunny

He's tried but Pouliot I think is the worst player (statistically, not personal opinion) when it comes to time needed to score on the PP.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 01:14 AM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika EllerWick View Post
While a joke like Gomez receives his regular powerplay ice time, Pouliot has done everything to earn it
Pouliot has done everything except score. He has 1 powerplay point to Gomez's 15. That's why Gomez gets powerplay time and Pouliot doesn't.

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 03:47 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupmonger View Post
I don't want to be a buzz kill. But the guy's only 1 point in his last 8 games, 5 points in his last 14 games (or 20 games as a matter of fact). He looked great tonight thanks to DD. I don't hate the guy, but he's far from being great atm. I do hope he scores more though as he has been looking better. But still, seriously... relax, we won a big game. Doesn't mean we've won the cup and all our players are gods...
Next thing you know we bring up Gomez appreciation thread back.
He gets an average of 12 minutes a night with 3rd liners. He will never be a high producing guy with that amount of time and those linemates. If you ever want him to develop properly he needs atleast 18 minutes of decent ice time and powerplay time. Otherwise no he wont get much more than 30-40 points.

Gomez should have his ice time cut drastically to send a message. No free rides.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote