HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Realistic players to target at the trade deadline

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-12-2011, 10:17 AM
  #26
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,584
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007 View Post
If they're fine with taking non-UFAs, toss Mike Weaver into that Weiss deal and call it a deadline?
Just curious as to why? 32-year old journeyman defenseman? I don't see him fitting a need unless Monty's hurt longer.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 10:19 AM
  #27
CowbellConray
Registered User
 
CowbellConray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,017
vCash: 500
What would it take to get Stephen Weiss from Florida? I would not mind having Roy-Weiss-Adam-Goose as out 4 centers.

It would allow Adam to be slowely worked into a possible top 6 role, and we could have a third line of Gerbe - Adam - Kassian. Possibly a nice chemistry for the future as well.

Would a Second plus a mid level prospect be enough? Would we need to send Salary back?

Just trying to look for fair value

CowbellConray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 10:25 AM
  #28
Pengo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Just curious as to why?
Mike Weaver is really good on the PK. Check out this stat:

http://twitter.com/andystrickland/st...33842041495552

Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 10:34 AM
  #29
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,115
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Just curious as to why? 32-year old journeyman defenseman? I don't see him fitting a need unless Monty's hurt longer.
The stat I keep hearing about him is that St. Louis' PK went from #1 with Weaver in 2009-10 to #21 in 2010-11 without him, while Florida's went from #23 last year to #5 this season with Weaver now in the fold. People say he was a big part of both. He's also signed for next season, so he could be the RD on the 3rd pairing.

EDIT: Too late. Kassian posted the link while I was looking up the numbers.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 10:59 AM
  #30
Ruckus007
Said too much
 
Ruckus007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Huntington, WV
Posts: 7,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Just curious as to why? 32-year old journeyman defenseman? I don't see him fitting a need unless Monty's hurt longer.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassian View Post
Mike Weaver is really good on the PK. Check out this stat:

http://twitter.com/andystrickland/st...33842041495552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
The stat I keep hearing about him is that St. Louis' PK went from #1 with Weaver in 2009-10 to #21 in 2010-11 without him, while Florida's went from #23 last year to #5 this season with Weaver now in the fold. People say he was a big part of both. He's also signed for next season, so he could be the RD on the 3rd pairing.

EDIT: Too late. Kassian posted the link while I was looking up the numbers.
There's that. Plus he's affordable. Plus if Monty is fine, I'd still trust Weaver as the #7 over Rivet/Butler/AHLer. And he's under contract next year so they'll have a semblance of a safety net if Monty walks. If you list defensive depth as a possible need, I think he fills it well.


Last edited by Ruckus007: 02-12-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Ruckus007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 11:05 AM
  #31
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life
 
enrothorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Downtown Buffalo
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,505
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
I really, truly and sincerely doubt that Forsberg would come back now and let Colorado trade him. There is likely a handshake deal that he's with them or no one.

enrothorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 12:17 PM
  #32
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death
 
Ron Barr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: bdddddddet
Posts: 5,820
vCash: 500
Two names on TSN's "Who's in Play" that I'd be interested in the Sabres to go after are Jakub Voracek and Zach Bogosian. Bogo has been pretty inconsistent these past couple years in Atlanta, but I think in the right environment he can become a special player. Having him as a long-term #2 defender with Myers would be amazing if the two can stay consistent.

Voracek is intriguing as well. Maybe we could make that Stoll for Pominville deal, and then trade picks and prospects for Voracek as well. I have a feeling that Voracek is gonna be one of those big breakout players next year, even more so now that he might get traded to a better team. Both of these players are RFAs this summer, so we wouldn't have to give them big raises seeing how neither of them have stepped up very much this year.

Voracek is a big body that is good along the boards, and a good two way player. He's a great passer but doesn't hold onto the puck for too long. I haven't seen a ton of him, but when I do watch the Blue Jackets he reminds me a bit of Pominville, just bigger and more physical. I think he'd be a great fit on Roy's wing. He can create some space for Roy, provide the skill needed to finish plays, but still let Roy do his thing with the puck more. Roy is a much more productive player when he isn't worrying about setting his wingers up (Vanek, Stafford), and he can let himself decide whether to shoot or pass. Not to mention if he played on a line with Ennis, then Tyler wouldn't have to rely on passing as much, and I think getting Ennis to shoot the puck more early in his career will help his development a ton.

Bogosian is a right handed physical defenseman who gets caught out of position quite a bit, but I think he'll learn that aspect of the game more in time. He'd be a solid replacement for Montador. Bogosian still has a pretty high offensive ceiling as well. I think a second pairing of Leopold-Bogosian would be solid, but we'd still need a left handed top pairing d-man for Myers in the off-season (perhaps Kaberle, Ehrhoff or Pitkanen).


Last edited by Ron Barr: 02-12-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 12:26 PM
  #33
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES
 
JOHNBOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Denver NC
Country: United States
Posts: 10,146
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
For some reason when I think of this years Trade Deadline I think I am having deja vu. IMO we will see the same we have seen in the past like a "2nd for Arnott" type of deal.

I would to see Regier go after a Center that needs a change of scenery, then that deja vu can come true when the team finds Daniel Briere v2.0!

JOHNBOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 12:36 PM
  #34
JPurp26
Registered User
 
JPurp26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 5,222
vCash: 300
2 Centers- Weiss, Arnott, Bailey, Turris, Oshie, Umberger, Brassard, Spezza, Belanger, Stoll, Riberio

LW- Booth

D- Brewer, White

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 12:40 PM
  #35
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,367
vCash: 500
I think Stoll is a realistic target.

Unrealistic... i still say, throw everything we can at columbus in attempt to get Brassard.

Ennis, Pysyk, 1st for Brassard?

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 12:44 PM
  #36
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!
 
BuiltTagonTough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 10,496
vCash: 500
I'd definitely take a risk on Bogo. I'm sure Lindy could get him to play to potential. Look at how Leopold is playing this year.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 12:55 PM
  #37
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,584
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
I really, truly and sincerely doubt that Forsberg would come back now and let Colorado trade him. There is likely a handshake deal that he's with them or no one.
Per CapGeek, Foppa has a NMC/NTC.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 12:58 PM
  #38
JPurp26
Registered User
 
JPurp26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 5,222
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I think Stoll is a realistic target.

Unrealistic... i still say, throw everything we can at columbus in attempt to get Brassard.

Ennis, Pysyk, 1st for Brassard?
I think you might be overvaluing brassard a little thats essentially 3 first round picks. I'd Say throw Adam,Pysyk and a 1st for Brassard

I agree Stoll would be a good pick up, I wonder if they would take Connolly for their playoff run to make Stoll more expendable so that they get a #2 center back along with more in a package.

I would look potentially at St. Louis and Florida as teams to deal with.

Weiss, Booth, and Allen are all guys thay could help as well as

TJ Oshie, Andy McDonald, Eric Brewer

Vanek-C-Pominville
Ennis-Roy-Stafford
Adam (if ready try to move Hecht) Hecht-Stoll-Kassian (if ready next year)
McCormick-Gaustad-Kaleta

D-Myers
Leopold-Montador
Weber-Morrisson

Miller
Enroth

The players targeted are generally more RFA's then UFA's

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 01:13 PM
  #39
mgeise
Registered User
 
mgeise's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 3,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Ennis, Pysyk, 1st for Brassard?
You think it would take that much to get him?

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 03:34 PM
  #40
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleta36 View Post
You think it would take that much to get him?
My opinion is that ennis and brassard have similar value and offensive scoring potential, with brassard having the edge in value.... I would trade pysyk and a 1st to turn ennis into a 6'1 200 lb center

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 03:35 PM
  #41
rabi
Registered User
 
rabi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,632
vCash: 500
Am I wrong for thinking Kovalev could help us for a run? He's still got great hands....

rabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 03:47 PM
  #42
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi View Post
Am I wrong for thinking Kovalev could help us for a run? He's still got great hands....
Yes...you are wrong

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 04:24 PM
  #43
dugman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 253
vCash: 500
I know this might not be realistic, but if I'm Terry Pegula, and I want to change the dynamic of my team, I look at the Sabres since Briere/Drury left. I see a lack of toughness, inconsistent work ethic and questionable leadership. Even being aware of the fact that he's 34 and a RW (and has a NTC), I would encourage my GM to see what it would take to pry Shane Doan loose from Phoenix (particularly if the Coyotes drop in the standings).
I know he's past his prime, but with a large number of young players potentially moving into prominent roles on the team in the near future, they need someone who sets the example and holds them accountable.

dugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 04:48 PM
  #44
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES
 
JOHNBOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Denver NC
Country: United States
Posts: 10,146
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi View Post
Am I wrong for thinking Kovalev could help us for a run? He's still got great hands....
Please God No!!!

JOHNBOY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 05:01 PM
  #45
fightclubber25
Registered User
 
fightclubber25's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 932
vCash: 500
from twitter..

@MattBarnabyESPN
Matthew Barnaby
Sabres fans - u r going to love the new ownership!!
6 hours ago via ÜberTwitter Favorite Retweet Reply


hes already talked about how he likes the ownership, so imo this is implication that he's probably heard some of the future "plans" for the team.

i could be reading into it too much, but hes already said enough about the ownership.. so this is pretty redundant if it doesnt imply something more.

fightclubber25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 05:26 PM
  #46
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor
 
thefifagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugman View Post
I know this might not be realistic, but if I'm Terry Pegula, and I want to change the dynamic of my team, I look at the Sabres since Briere/Drury left. I see a lack of toughness, inconsistent work ethic and questionable leadership. Even being aware of the fact that he's 34 and a RW (and has a NTC), I would encourage my GM to see what it would take to pry Shane Doan loose from Phoenix (particularly if the Coyotes drop in the standings).
I know he's past his prime, but with a large number of young players potentially moving into prominent roles on the team in the near future, they need someone who sets the example and holds them accountable.
There's 0% chance that Doan would get traded. He is a lifetime Coyote / Jet, he'll never waive his NTC, and the team will never move their heart and soul.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 06:06 PM
  #47
dugman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
There's 0% chance that Doan would get traded. He is a lifetime Coyote / Jet, he'll never waive his NTC, and the team will never move their heart and soul.
A 34 year old player with 11 goals, -5 on the season, and playing for a team that may miss the playoffs, might relocate, and draws 6,000 fans a game in an indifferent hockey market? I know Doan has intangibles (precisely the reason we would want him), but if the Coyotes miss the playoffs, they might be thinking of retooling the lineup with promising young players. Doan might just decide that playing somewhere that hockey matters would be enough to waive the NTC. Worth a phone call, at least....

dugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 06:37 PM
  #48
SoFFacet
Registered User
 
SoFFacet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rochester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassian View Post
Something tells me that Arnott would be the next Torres/Moore...
Honestly... what "realistic" acquisition would not be similar to Torres/Moore?

SoFFacet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 06:43 PM
  #49
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor
 
thefifagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugman View Post
A 34 year old player with 11 goals, -5 on the season, and playing for a team that may miss the playoffs, might relocate, and draws 6,000 fans a game in an indifferent hockey market? I know Doan has intangibles (precisely the reason we would want him), but if the Coyotes miss the playoffs, they might be thinking of retooling the lineup with promising young players. Doan might just decide that playing somewhere that hockey matters would be enough to waive the NTC. Worth a phone call, at least....
It seems very unlikely that the team will move, it appears all but certain Matthew Hulsizer is going to get the team and keep them there. He has repeatedly said that he wants to stay with the Coyotes, I don't see that changing. The outrage that would occur if he was traded in Phoenix would be insane. And, even in the hypothetical, if he was going to waive his NTC, I seriously can't see it being to Buffalo, who albeit is on a run, that is in 10th place in the Eastern Conference and isn't a serious contender this year. It would have to be to a surefire contender this year. His stats have nothing to do with if he is going to want to leave. And you say that Phoenix is a team that may miss the playoffs, but they're currently the 7 seed in the West, and 1 point out of 4th. I know that the West is bunched, but it's extremely unlikely that the Coyotes would be out of it by the deadline.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 07:10 PM
  #50
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS
 
drinking bleach irl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia
Country: Ras al-Khaimah
Posts: 11,017
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
My opinion is that ennis and brassard have similar value and offensive scoring potential, with brassard having the edge in value.... I would trade pysyk and a 1st to turn ennis into a 6'1 200 lb center
Brassard's one of my "rose-colored glasses" favorite players, but that's overpayment IMO. Perhaps take out the first, or change it to a 3rd or so.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.