HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Versteeg for Cody Hodgson

Old
02-12-2011, 02:44 AM
ProstheticConscience
Kunst

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderTimer View Post
Please tell me where i Insulted him?....All I said was the truth!.....I have seen the Leafs win 4 cups....I was born in 1955
And you post on the net like a 12 year-old on Red Bull because...?

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 02:49 AM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
It's almost 4 in the morning in Toronto, he's arguing like a child version of Jfried after a dozen pixie sticks and some jolt cola...my guess is drunk.

Anyway, the offer wouldn't even register to anyone with the Canucks. I'd go further with the analogy and offer Hansen instead of Raymond for Kadri. Either way, no thank you, Toronto has nothing Vancouver wants, for the price Vancouver would be expected to pay.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 09:20 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Roy is not that special but Omark and Petry are legit. Especially Petry, the one Oiler rookie no one talks about. Probably because you don't notice him, but that's a good thing.
ya but he used as a way to insult leaf fans by their lack of talent but

-Kulemin and Omark are comparable and at the same age, Kulemin is already miles ahead
-Reimer and Roy are comparable but Reimer is already showing he belongs
-Petry is a really good prospect but is very comparable to Aulie both showing they already belong in the NHL (Aulie is actually 2 years younger)

And that is without including Kadri and Schenn

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 09:40 AM
jimmythescot

vCash: 500
We just need a Hodgson for Schenn, and a Hodgson for Kessel thread and we'll have the full set!

jimmythescot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
ya but he used as a way to insult leaf fans by their lack of talent but

-Kulemin and Omark are comparable and at the same age, Kulemin is already miles ahead
-Reimer and Roy are comparable but Reimer is already showing he belongs
-Petry is a really good prospect but is very comparable to Aulie both showing they already belong in the NHL (Aulie is actually 2 years younger)

And that is without including Kadri and Schenn
You forgot Hall, Eberle, MPS, Gagner...

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 11:40 AM
bobbyflex

do the Canucks actually foresee Hodgson cracking the top 6 in the near future? i doubt it. even top 9 is a bit of stretch

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 11:43 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
do the Canucks actually foresee Hodgson cracking the top 6 in the near future? i doubt it. even top 9 is a bit of stretch
Still doesn't mean we are trading him, for Versteeg no less.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 11:45 AM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Still doesn't mean we are trading him, for Versteeg no less.
hypothetically, if you were to trade Hodgson what would you be expecting? be realistic.....

Old
02-12-2011, 11:48 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Why do you say that? I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a top 9 role as early as next season.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Quote:
hypothetically, if you were to trade Hodgson what would you be expecting? be realistic.....
Probably a top-6 winger right now (I don't think that's Versteeg) and a B-level prospect or a depth defenseman (think like a 6th defenseman).

I think that's more than realistic considering where Vancouver is now in terms of their prospect pool and what their short term needs are and Hodgson's potential. In fact, I think there are a few Canuck fans that will say we could get more.

Old
02-12-2011, 12:38 PM
The Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Probably a top-6 winger right now (I don't think that's Versteeg) and a B-level prospect or a depth defenseman (think like a 6th defenseman).

I think that's more than realistic considering where Vancouver is now in terms of their prospect pool and what their short term needs are and Hodgson's potential. In fact, I think there are a few Canuck fans that will say we could get more.
I think that's pretty realistic.

Versteeg probably wouldn't crack Vancouver's top-six. But if there's any team that should have an appreciation of what he brings in the playoffs, it's the Canucks, a team you have to figure is eager to go deep into the post-season at this point. He's young, signed through next year, has championship experience, can play both ends of the ice and chip in some streaky offense while playing as an agitator. For those reasons we shouldn't be eager to move him, either.

In the same vein, Hodgson is probably expendable for the very reason that he's not a big piece of the current team's success, he could return an asset to potentially help put them over the top this year, and they have enough youth both on their roster and in their system to have no concerns about depleting the pipeline by trading away one prospect.

I doubt he gets traded, but I don't necessarily think it would be a bad move to shop him around a little. I really think this year could be the year for Vancouver.

The Management is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 12:56 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Hodgson's greatest value to the Canucks playoff chances is actually play for the team a couple of years on his rookie contract and contribute beyond his pay grade (see: rookie contracts on many recent cup winners). If Hodgson isn't at this level then there isn't anything worthwhile enough that we could get for him by trading our draft picks or other lesser assets. Versteeg isn't that good a player that it has to be our top prospect or bust to get him.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 01:46 PM
AntonRodin*

Quote:
Ask yourself this question, if you were to trade Kadri, what would you be expecting? be realistic. I'm sure the value is of each player is approximately equal since each prospect is the best on each team and each are overrated....

AntonRodin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 02:10 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonRodin View Post
Ask yourself this question, if you were to trade Kadri, what would you be expecting? be realistic. I'm sure the value is of each player is approximately equal since each prospect is the best on each team and each are overrated....
apples and oranges. different teams have different needs. comparing what leafs would trade kadri for versus what canucks would trade hodgson for won't prove anything. Canucks are trying to win now. Leafs are not. Trading kadri would be non-sensical for the leafs.

If you want to compares apples-to-apples, IF the Leafs were one of the top teams in the league AND had a good chance to win the stanley cup AND kadri wouldn't crack the top 6 for a long time, then i would easily flip kadri for the missing piece to ensure a championship.

Old
02-12-2011, 02:21 PM
jammyrft

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderTimer View Post
I can absolutley tell you that Versteeg is a HUGE UPGRADE TO HODGESON!!!!

I hate Versteeg more than any Leaf player...But I don't let my Homerism get the best of me like you do!!!

Have you ever been a GM????...seriously NO MATTER WHAT YOU AND I SAY.....It means ****!....Here is one for the ages!!!! 30 GM's right now have a choice of Versteeg....or Hodgeson! Which one can help thier team for the next 5 years??????

Sorry that I think like a GM...not like an HFer....get over that he is the next of what ever the **** he is....he's not the next of anything!!!!

how do 30 teams have a choice at Hodgson? he's not on the market. If Versteeg was as half as good as these trade proposals lead him on to be he would not only be ripping it up on the leafs, but you guys would want to keep him for yourself. Listen Laff fans, the Canucks don't want your small, highly paid 3rd liner

Especially for Hodgson

jammyrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 02:30 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
You forgot Hall, Eberle, MPS, Gagner...
Your missing the point, the guy i quoted below is trying to rub it in that Edmonton has young talent and the Leafs dont. He named Omark, Petry and Roy who the Leafs all have comparables too and Hall, MPS and Eberle disregarding the fact that the Leafs have Kadri and Schenn. The point was if he is going to try and mock a team atleast do it well

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
You kidding? LOL

My team is in the middle of ta rebuild. Well... yours is too... but they aren't willing to face that fact. I sleep very well at night knowing that the 1st or 2nd overall pick will soon be joining Hall, Eberle, Omark, Petry, Roy and MPS.

Are you sleeping well without a first rounder?

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Quote:
apples and oranges. different teams have different needs. comparing what leafs would trade kadri for versus what canucks would trade hodgson for won't prove anything. Canucks are trying to win now. Leafs are not. Trading kadri would be non-sensical for the leafs.

If you want to compares apples-to-apples, IF the Leafs were one of the top teams in the league AND had a good chance to win the stanley cup AND kadri wouldn't crack the top 6 for a long time, then i would easily flip kadri for the missing piece to ensure a championship.
That's the danger of it from a Canucks perspective. I don't think it's a secret we have been an extremely futile franchise with bad luck. Like the rain, the hockey gods started to piss on Vancouver from the start. There is a reason Gilbert Perreault wore #11 after all.

We are far too cautious. I don't think we'd want to close the window of winning in the long run for just a chance of bettering the odds of winning short-term. Our GM has openly stated he won't sell the farm for extra pieces at the deadline. Heck, I'm sure he doesn't even tolerate the trade deadline.

And I do agree with it is very much an apples-oranges situation. The Leafs can't afford to sell the farm, the Canucks can - but I don't think they will and I don't the fans would want to. Again I go back to the team's losing history, we won't take any chances from where we are now, which is why many media outlets have Vancouver as a very quiet team heading into the final tweaking of the roster on the 28th.

Old
02-12-2011, 02:49 PM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Why doubt it? The skill and the willingess to make it happen is there.

Stick Hodgson in the middle on the third line and have Malhotra slide to the wing. Manny has done that in the past, and he would still be on the ice to take draws.

As it is, the Canucks depth at center is pretty limited if one takes into account injuries, and you don't pooch a rookie center with huge upside because at the moment all the centers are healthy.

The Canucks have a huge amount of flexibility with their roster, and Hodgson only adds to that. All these trade proposals for Hodgson are ridiculous.

quat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 09:21 PM
BrianA

I am not or never been a Leaf fan but Hodgson is a kid who deserves a shot and the Leafs are a good fit.
Hodgson will not be more than 3rd line player with the Canucks for at least 5 years He is as good as Matt Duchene but has been hurt and has now disappeared.
Versteeg is only 24 and if he is playing with talent(Hawks)or Canucks he will score 20-30 goals.He kills penalties and he can play on a top 2 line when injuries require it.
How many Cups do the Canucks have?
What team has more talent the Hawks or Canucks?I would pick Canucks but who was 1 of the players who helped wear down the Canucks?I see a lot of sour grapes from Canuck fans but no appreciation of what Versteeg brings to a team.
You can hold on to your cheaper talent and watch the finals on t.v. or get a Versteeg type player or 2.

Usually a team going for the Cup will find a way around an extra cap hit.(Hawks,Wings)but if you want the same team next year but no Cup,
Good Luck

BrianA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 09:26 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb View Post
Counter offer. Go home and cry in a fetal position over your Oilers floundering, and I won't pick on you.
Mate, in two or three years Edmonton may well be contending. In that same amount of time Toronto will still be waiting for Kessel to score.

You have no business mocking another team, not until yours is out of the gutter.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 09:45 PM
tokenmetalhead*

Hodgson is NOT A TOP PROSPECT ANYMORE. The guy is putting up MEDIOCRE numbers in the AHL. Sure he may find his game down the road but the Hodgson in junior and WJC's is not the Hodgson you see this season. You are probably looking at a Daniel Cleary at this point (highly regarded prospect who flopped early on, and didn't improve into top-9 forward status until later in his career).

Toronto has Versteeg, a key contributor to the Blackhawks' deadly 3rd line on the team that won the Cup... last season. As I recall, that 3rd line was a HUGE reason why they went as far as they did. And Versteeg has improved his offensive numbers this season and gets played in all situations (for those defending or overblowing Hodgson's two-way game).

I would agree that Hodgson's ceiling is higher than Versteeg's, but you are a blind homering Canucks fan if you can't admit Hodgson's realistic ceiling is probably around what Versteeg is doing right now. Maybe Hodsgon scores a few more goals and a few less assists, that's it though.

tokenmetalhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 09:54 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokenmetalhead View Post
Hodgson is NOT A TOP PROSPECT ANYMORE. The guy is putting up MEDIOCRE numbers in the AHL. Sure he may find his game down the road but the Hodgson in junior and WJC's is not the Hodgson you see this season. You are probably looking at a Daniel Cleary at this point (highly regarded prospect who flopped early on, and didn't improve into top-9 forward status until later in his career).

Toronto has Versteeg, a key contributor to the Blackhawks' deadly 3rd line on the team that won the Cup... last season. As I recall, that 3rd line was a HUGE reason why they went as far as they did. And Versteeg has improved his offensive numbers this season and gets played in all situations (for those defending or overblowing Hodgson's two-way game).

I would agree that Hodgson's ceiling is higher than Versteeg's, but you are a blind homering Canucks fan if you can't admit Hodgson's realistic ceiling is probably around what Versteeg is doing right now. Maybe Hodsgon scores a few more goals and a few less assists, that's it though.
The problem is, we do not require Versteeg. He would be a luxury but is most certainly not worth Hodgson. We could offer our first and another prospect and land a player of similar caliber or possibly Versteeg himself. Thus, Vancouver will not move a potentially dynamic prospect who still has a lot to prove for an over glorified third liner.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 09:57 PM
BrianA

token,
I agree with everything said except Hodgson had and will regain #1 centre talent.It was injuries and Canuck depth that set him back,not attitude or lack of skill.
He is good kid who will regain his form.

BrianA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 09:59 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
Mate, in two or three years Edmonton may well be contending. In that same amount of time Toronto will still be waiting for Kessel to score.

You have no business mocking another team, not until yours is out of the gutter.
it is easier to make fun of other teams and ignore the plight of your own(curious if the oilers offered their team straight for the leads if KB would say yes)

As for this offer

WIthin a few years Hodgson will be in the top 6 for the nucks and Versteeg will be on the 3rd line somewhere--I wouldn't do the deal for the nucks

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 10:00 PM
tokenmetalhead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
The problem is, we do not require Versteeg. He would be a luxury but is most certainly not worth Hodgson. We could offer our first and another prospect and land a player of similar caliber or possibly Versteeg himself. Thus, Vancouver will not move a potentially dynamic prospect who still has a lot to prove for an over glorified third liner.

I absolutely agree with your post here. I definitely agree that Vancouver does NOT need Versteeg. My point is people over-rate Hodgson, I think there are many people who still think he's gonna be a 35+ goal, 70+ point 1st line centre.

I don't even know what Vancouver really "needs" anyways, this year they are one of the best teams in the NHL and are very strong at pretty much every position possible. Maybe they could use a slightly better goalie to ensure they win every year but who doesn't? Their forwards and defence are great-to-awesome. They really shouldn't be doing anything with their roster, especially anything involving acquiring another tweener 2nd/3rd liner.

tokenmetalhead* is offline   Reply With Quote