HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill XI

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Docgonzo
Triple Crown Line

vCash: 500
I think trading Simmonds to another Western Conference team would be a bad decision. I don't want to have to play against him more than once a year, especially since he might have a huge chip on his shoulder.

Old
02-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Uhh let's hear the logic behind this one.
Most overrated player on the Kings. So he hits like a mack truck, he has the hockey intelligence of a pet rock. Because of his contract he is bearable but I would trade him in a second for a more skilled yet maybe less physical scorer. Otherwise keep him on the 2cd/3rd line where he belongs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I disagree with everything here...
For the sake of healthy discussion please elaborate.

Old
02-12-2011, 10:38 PM
funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
Most overrated player on the Kings. So he hits like a mack truck, he has the hockey intelligence of a pet rock. Because of his contract he is bearable but I would trade him in a second for a more skilled yet maybe less physical scorer. Otherwise keep him on the 2cd/3rd line where he belongs.
the only way I trade Brown is in a blockbuster. I would trade him in a package for a guy like Nash. Other then that, he has skill, hits and is a great 2nd liner playing out of position like many on this team.

Old
02-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Brown is not an option, but I bet Simmonds is whether we like it or not. It would be for a signed top 3 player, not a rental.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Old
02-12-2011, 10:51 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:
No offense but all hockey experts seem to have nothing but positive things said about him. He is not a true sniper but he is a hard nosed leader with a ton of heart. Everytime I see some show on NHL channel or any interviews on XM, everyone around the league seem to think exact opposite of what you do.

Again, no offense, but I believe a majority of the NHL community over you or any other anti-Brown fan any day of the week.

Old
02-12-2011, 10:52 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Fully agree and honestly everyone thinking we could get a guy like Nash for him is dead wrong. Nash is miles ahead of Dustin Brown.

I'd take a guy like Ryan Callahan over Brown all day.

Old
02-12-2011, 10:56 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

It's easier to take Brown for what he is. A power forward with good speed, average hands and hockey sense, exceptional checking ability and prone to defensive lapses. That's it. Expect more and you will be disappointed. I fall into that trap every once in a while as well and catch myself. He is more than a role player and less than a star.

Old
02-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
Fully agree and honestly everyone thinking we could get a guy like Nash for him is dead wrong. Nash is miles ahead of Dustin Brown.

I'd take a guy like Ryan Callahan over Brown all day.
Why would you take a guy like Ryan Callahan over Dustin Brown? Curious.

Old
02-12-2011, 10:58 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
It's easier to take Brown for what he is. A power forward with good speed, average hands and hockey sense, exceptional checking ability and prone to defensive lapses. That's it. Expect more and you will be disappointed. I fall into that trap every once in a while as well and catch myself. He is more than a role player and less than a star.
I look at him differently. He is a power forward.. Who hits occasionally now-a-days instead of all the time like he should. THATS when he's effective. He has average, but still very very inconsistent hands. Average speed, yes, and BELOW average hockey sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Why would you take a guy like Ryan Callahan over Dustin Brown? Curious.
I think that has the potential to get me flamed only because of the perception of Dustin Browns value. Callahan has missed a lot of time this year, if he played all season his production would be up there at least close to Dustins.

Callahan is a much smarter player, and so much easier to play with. (I know the dumb response to that is: Have YOU ever played with them?) But you can just tell that Callahans hockey sense is better than Dustins. He works VERY HARD, has good offensive instincts, also tremendous defensively and throws his weight around a lot as well.

Old
02-12-2011, 11:03 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
I look at him differently. He is a power forward.. Who hits occasionally now-a-days instead of all the time like he should. THATS when he's effective. He has average, but still very very inconsistent hands. Average speed, yes, and BELOW average hockey sense.
You are being unfair. First, Brown can skate well. His mid range is his best. If he can work on that first step, he would be far more effective. There is no such thing as inconsistent hands. That term makes no sense. Brown is not a sniper. He has a hard shot but his shot trajectory is consistently the same. Notice how he doesn't pick a corner? In other words, he doesn't have a range (unlike Kopitar) with the wrist shot and, judging by how little he uses it, little confidence in his slapper. Below average hockey sense? I wonder what you consider average.

Old
02-12-2011, 11:08 PM
KingLB

Quote:
LOLOLOLOL average speed LOLOLOLOL Brown is probably the fastest player on the Kings....

People bashing Brown must have a real distorted few of the NHL....he is one of the most unique players in the game there is one other player in the NHL that brings what he does (50pts/tons of hits), Clutterbuck....and this is his first year of doing it. People need to realize you can't have a team with 12 80 pts players. Every player has a different role while Brown isn't a top line player on a Cup winning team he is defiantly top6 quality.. Comparing Simmonds to Brown right now is laughable Simmonds is a better player below the hash marks and along the boards but that and the rest of his game has stagnated this year.

Old
02-12-2011, 11:12 PM
two out of three*

Quote:
You are being unfair. First, Brown can skate well. His mid range is his best. If he can work on that first step, he would be far more effective. There is no such thing as inconsistent hands. That term makes no sense. Brown is not a sniper. He has a hard shot but his shot trajectory is consistently the same. Notice how he doesn't pick a corner? In other words, he doesn't have a range (unlike Kopitar) with the wrist shot and, judging by how little he uses it, little confidence in his slapper. Below average hockey sense? I wonder what you consider average.
Inconsistent hands can definitely be a term. You're telling me you haven't seen Dustin Brown at times.. Look like Pavel Datsyuk.. And then other times look like John Zeiler? More often than not though.. He looks like Zeiler.

Old
02-12-2011, 11:14 PM
riznat

Quote:
Inconsistent hands can definitely be a term. You're telling me you haven't seen Dustin Brown at times.. Look like Pavel Datsyuk.. And then other times look like John Zeiler? More often than not though.. He looks like Zeiler.
Sounds consistent to me.

Old
02-12-2011, 11:16 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Brown has never looked like Datsyuk. The comparison is comedy. Effort is inconsistent. Focus is inconsistent. Energy is inconsistent. Hands are genetic first, learned second. It is his focus that you are harping on. When Brown plays his very simple game, he is effective. He picks up the garbage goals and gets the timely rebounds, often with the goalie out of position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riznat View Post
Sounds consistent to me.
lol. I wasn't going to say anything...how did I know you would swoop in, you little vulture.

Old
02-12-2011, 11:17 PM
two out of three*

Quote:
Brown has never looked like Datsyuk. The comparison is comedy. Effort is inconsistent. Focus is inconsistent. Energy is inconsistent. Hands are genetic first, learned second. It is his focus that you are harping on. When Brown plays his very simple game, he is effective. He picks up the garbage goals and gets the timely rebounds, often with the goalie out of position.
Oh Good Lord. Really?

Fine. At times Brown looks like he has great hands, and other he looks like has HORRIBLE hands. Comparison good enough?

Old
02-12-2011, 11:23 PM
riznat

Quote:
Oh Good Lord. Really?

Fine. At times Brown looks like he has great hands, and other he looks like has HORRIBLE hands. Comparison good enough?
This is the problem though, Brown is not a player that is going to dazzle you with his hands. Yes, he has the ability to pull a nice deke once in a while but thats not the player he is. He is a hard hitting great skater, who isnt afraid to go into the corners. Who can consistently chip in 15-25 goals. He should never be expected to be a 30-40 goal superstar, he is not that player.

I think Brown would be a lot more appreciated around here if he wasn't the captain.

Old
02-12-2011, 11:23 PM
northernKing

Quote:
I think that has the potential to get me flamed only because of the perception of Dustin Browns value. Callahan has missed a lot of time this year, if he played all season his production would be up there at least close to Dustins.

Callahan is a much smarter player, and so much easier to play with. (I know the dumb response to that is: Have YOU ever played with them?) But you can just tell that Callahans hockey sense is better than Dustins. He works VERY HARD, has good offensive instincts, also tremendous defensively and throws his weight around a lot as well.
I watch about 80-90% of Kings and Rangers games because my brother is a die hard NYR fan. Callahan is a solid player with very few weaknesses. IMO he is pretty close to what Brown brings. Smarter hockey player? Easier to play with? Better hockey sense? I got to disagree with almost all of those. He is easier to play with because he often plays with fellow grinding type players. Last year Brown played very well with Stoll and Richardson and he is a grind it out type player with the occasional individual hilight type play. IMO based on watching both play 100+ games Brown>Callahan but its close. Both hit hard and often and both are locks for 20 goals a year. They are drafted a year apart yet Brown has a 30 goal year and 3 50+ point seasons. Callahan has a 22 goal season and a career high 40 point season.

Old
02-12-2011, 11:25 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

TRULY appreciated more if he was not captain. Well said Riz.

Old
02-12-2011, 11:43 PM
Shellz

Quote:

I have no reason to flame you, but I just disagree with what you say. Callahan is a solid player as well, but if you asked me who I would rather have, it's Dustin. Brown is one of the Kings hardest workers too. Callahan has better offensive instincts? Maybe in the future, but not right now. I don't see anything that Callahan is better at that Dustin can't do. Maybe better hands? Sure. Whatever.

I'm not some huge Brown homer either. I get frustrated with him but that's when he's trying to do too much. I think you just expect more out of Brown because he is the captain of the team.

Old
02-13-2011, 12:00 AM
KingPuckChoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
I have no reason to flame you, but I just disagree with what you say. Callahan is a solid player as well, but if you asked me who I would rather have, it's Dustin. Brown is one of the Kings hardest workers too. Callahan has better offensive instincts? Maybe in the future, but not right now. I don't see anything that Callahan is better at that Dustin can't do. Maybe better hands? Sure. Whatever.

I'm not some huge Brown homer either. I get frustrated with him but that's when he's trying to do too much. I think you just expect more out of Brown because he is the captain of the team.
that just sounded weird

Old
02-13-2011, 12:06 AM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPuckChoo View Post
that just sounded weird
Haha. I'm not going to even say anything else.

Old
02-13-2011, 12:09 AM
Tadite

The only reason why Simmonds is getting talk about is because he is a good, tough, young forward with a **** load of upside. He's the guy you notice on our team.

Doesn't mean he's going to be traded just means he's the first name to spring to mind when someones going to speculate. No ones stupid enough to make up a rumor about Kopitar, DD, or even JJ. Simmonds is going to spend most of his early career on someones wish list or proposal thread...

Old
02-13-2011, 02:20 AM
Kopistar

Somebody mentioned on "another forum site" that Teubert and Schenn are no longer listen on the prospects page of the LAKINGS site. They also said that they say Teubert's name up there yesteday..... no word on if Schenn's name was removed.

Old
02-13-2011, 02:22 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopistar View Post
Somebody mentioned on "another forum site" that Teubert and Schenn are no longer listen on the prospects page of the LAKINGS site. They also said that they say Teubert's name up there yesteday..... no word on if Schenn's name was removed.
Rick Nash

Old
02-13-2011, 02:24 AM
lafan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopistar View Post
Ocsar Moller is no longer listed either

Closed Thread