HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT Fisher vs Forsberg

Old
02-13-2011, 01:12 AM
cleangene

vCash: 500
Post game ramblings......Do you think we'll look back to see how HUGE Frannie's goal was at the end of the regular season?? PREDS of the past probably do not win a game like that one tonight. The toughness level needs to be dialed up many notches if we hope to make a long playoff run for sure; when will a teammate step in to do something about Horns getting choked nearly once each game??? I believe Fisher spent more time in front of the net tonight than arny did his entire PREDS career. It's so, so, so, so, so wonderful to keep hearing the word "sell-out" mentioned when attendance is brought up for games (PLEASE, though STOP that guy from showing it on his belly!!!) Btw, great to meet the one and only SLake after the win- THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR GREAT INSIGHTS !!!

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 01:24 AM
Fortheloveofthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I thought Wilson had a weak game. He still looks like a rookie out there at times. Giveaways, bad decisions with the puck, trying to do too much. He needs to simplify his game IMO.

Even though Leggy wasn't one of the 3 stars, I thought he was our best forward tonight (maybe after Erat).

Hell of a 1st game for Fisher
I do not agree. He was strong on the boards, made some great plays ( especially the play to Smithson, but he could not handle it) covered the point twice to keep the puck in the offensie zone. He had one turnover, which he worked his ass off deep in the D zone,twice to Ward who could not get it out, then carried over the blue line and his pass was "picked off". Happens.... but yes, they scored. To say he had a weak game I think is not warranted.
I thought Legwand had a great game!
Smithson, I thought had a rough one, Ward, not much better. Poor Dumont got just over 5 minutes of ice. Sullivan with many turnovers, Yet you still won the game - so Congrats on that!

Last edited by Fortheloveofthegame: 02-13-2011 at 01:34 AM.
Fortheloveofthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 01:34 AM
WartracePred

JP's disappearing act

Midway through the third period my wife leans over to me and asks "Where's Dumont?" Don't think he had a shift beyond the early part of the 2nd period. Was he lallygagging? I thought JP was fairly invisible when he was on the ice. But consider Willy's turnover that led to a goal. And Wilson's mistakes aren't that unusual. Sully did nothing to get noticed as well. Point is, JP seems to be singled out as always. Wish I knew the inside story on his limited ice time. I can see him being a healthy scratch once folks get healthy. Goc and Svatos will probably be ready Tuesday. I suppose Tootoo is not far behind.

I honestly don't think he is any less effective than Sully right now. But I'll be shocked if Sully is ever a healthy scratch.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 02:17 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

First Nashville game I went too. Your team feels a bit like Minnesota.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 03:52 AM
SK74 Snipes

Overall a good night in Nashville. Great way to settle Fisher in with his new team with a win. He seemed to be all smiles and joking around with Klein and a few others after the salute. Really excited about the potential of this team.

SK74 Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 08:49 AM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

The Senapreds alliance back in full force!

Marty Straka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 08:54 AM
Caseus
squirrelly wrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Hell of a 1st game for Fisher
Great to hear! Sucks to have him gone, but the Preds are just such a perfect fit for him. I'd bet money he'll have a career season next year.

Caseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 09:07 AM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
Can you elaborate?

Thanks for coming.

Welcome to the Senators fans, as well.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 09:12 AM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Fisher did an awful lot of the little things that win games; the backchecking, time in front of the net, being more physical than our centers have traditionally been, making the smart little passes that keep possession when under pressure rather than just dumping it out, and his success on the dot - as both a forehand and backhand draw.

As for Trotz and his egos comment, I couldn't agree more, but I'd also like to see Trotzy look at the ice and actually go with the guys who are really earning it. Sully is terrible right now - I know he's coming back off the injury, but...... and the Smitty line got beat like a drum last night - it was effective with Spaling, not nearly has effective in the other combinations we've had. With Goc back I wouldn't mind seeing us roll 4 lines that can actually contribute and play 2-way hockey - and if that means Mueller centering that 4th line so-be-it.....

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 10:23 AM
OpenWheel

If Trotz went by who was actually effective, Dumont would be getting ice time. Trotz made a point of praising Sully for the Hornqvist goal. Said twice that Sully made a great play to get it to Legwand.

I didn't think Smithson did much. I thought Wilson was hampered by both Ward and Smithson. Halischuk didn't get many minutes, but one shift in the first I focused on him and he was lost. Appeared confused and a half step behind.

Erat looked good. For some reason I didn't notice Kostitsyn much even though he got a ton of ice time. Leggy was very good. Very glad to have Fisher. I did notice that tunnel vision thing on offense his detractors say gets a bit maddening since it appears he could bag more points. But he brings a lot we need and looked very good.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 10:26 AM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
I Don't know how to take this! Is it a compliment or insult??
Since they have our former crappy owner now it fells more like an insult.

Gnashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 10:31 AM
JackBauer

congrats preds fans. fisher sounds like he had a pretty good debut. i hope you guys are happy to have him because we're going to miss him.

JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 11:07 AM
fishbaby

Watched the Preds game last night to see how Mike would do . . . and I must say he looked goooooood. Won most of his face-offs and did a great job of blocking Budaj. Can't wait to see him play when he's 100%.

Enjoy him Nashville. Treat him right. He's good for the team and good for the community. Couldn't ask for a better guy.

We'll miss you Mike.

fishbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 11:23 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
Does this mean I have to do Tuesday's GDT?
Yes, Yes it does.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 11:40 AM
kivaerijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootthepuck View Post
Does anyone know how serious the Goc injury is? I thought it was minor and he would be back tonight... guess thats not the case.
dont know if anyone answered this yet..but friday, i saw him in practice and he looked fine. must be precautionary. i was surprised to see him scratched. hornqvist wasnt at that practice though.. i dont really know what goes on with this team and injuries

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 11:47 AM
predfan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
Fisher did an awful lot of the little things that win games; the backchecking, time in front of the net, being more physical than our centers have traditionally been, making the smart little passes that keep possession when under pressure rather than just dumping it out, and his success on the dot - as both a forehand and backhand draw.

As for Trotz and his egos comment, I couldn't agree more, but I'd also like to see Trotzy look at the ice and actually go with the guys who are really earning it. Sully is terrible right now - I know he's coming back off the injury, but...... and the Smitty line got beat like a drum last night - it was effective with Spaling, not nearly has effective in the other combinations we've had. With Goc back I wouldn't mind seeing us roll 4 lines that can actually contribute and play 2-way hockey - and if that means Mueller centering that 4th line so-be-it.....

yes,yes,yes

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by kivaerijo View Post
dont know if anyone answered this yet..but friday, i saw him in practice and he looked fine. must be precautionary. i was surprised to see him scratched. hornqvist wasnt at that practice though.. i dont really know what goes on with this team and injuries
I didn't get the opportunity to see the injury, but given the fact that Goc was ruled questionable for a return in that game instead of out and that he practiced on Friday and took the morning skate on Saturday...I think it's something relatively minor that he can play through and likely would have played through yesterday had Fisher not been added.

With San Jose and Vancouver being our next two opponents I think Goc was held out to give him a couple extra days of rest so that he can heal and not miss more time as the season wears on.

Cooper classified it last night as an upper body strain in his blog. I think Goc will be fine and that the lines will come together better when he returns...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 01:00 PM
Seth Lake

Hmm, I thought Fisher was commonly compared to Legwand? He reminded me more of Hornqvist v2.0 getting a couple great screens on Budaj and standing in there fearlessly as Weber gets the puck at the point!

Reminded me a lot of Smithson v2.0 as he dominated the faceoff dot all night long and finished his checks in on the forecheck too!

Great move by Legwand to scoop up the puck after he scored on the empty net for Fisher's first point as Predator. Play really got started with Fisher winning a battle along the boards and getting the puck over to Erat who sprung Legwand down the other way!

Fisher is gonna be a good add. He compliments many of our existing players and I believe will actually elevate their games as much as they elevate his going down the stretch.

Welcome to Nashville Mike!!!

P.S. Thanks cleangene! It was nice meeting you too last night. Knew it had to be you as soon as I saw the jersey.

Old
02-13-2011, 01:25 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Hmm, I thought Fisher was commonly compared to Legwand? He reminded me more of Hornqvist v2.0 getting a couple great screens on Budaj and standing in there fearlessly as Weber gets the puck at the point!

Reminded me a lot of Smithson v2.0 as he dominated the faceoff dot all night long and finished his checks in on the forecheck too!

Great move by Legwand to scoop up the puck after he scored on the empty net for Fisher's first point as Predator. Play really got started with Fisher winning a battle along the boards and getting the puck over to Erat who sprung Legwand down the other way!

Fisher is gonna be a good add. He compliments many of our existing players and I believe will actually elevate their games as much as they elevate his going down the stretch.

Welcome to Nashville Mike!!!

P.S. Thanks cleangene! It was nice meeting you too last night. Knew it had to be you as soon as I saw the jersey.
i thought he grabbed the puck for Fisher as well, but it was said on Twitter last night that he actually gave the puck to Franson, for some reason.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
i thought he grabbed the puck for Fisher as well, but it was said on Twitter last night that he actually gave the puck to Franson, for some reason.
For safe keeping? I can't think of a reason off the top of my head that Legwand would immediately pickup the puck for Franson...

Franson wasn't even on the ice, was he? I think he handed it to him to hand to a trainer before heading out to take the next draw. I could be wrong though. Not the first time that would've happened!

Old
02-13-2011, 01:32 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
Can you elaborate?

Thanks for coming.

Welcome to the Senators fans, as well.
Good depth. Good role players. Solid goaltending for the most part. Solid defense.

But no finishers and too many times they simply couldn't capitalize on burying the puck.

Nashville is a great team no doubt about it because the team plays a great game. They put a lot of pressure on Avalanche early on and that helped.

But I couldn't help notice they had no real go to guy for offense.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 01:36 PM
kivaerijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Dumont used to be a good player, but he aged five years in less than six months and doesn't really have much left these days. That's why he gets so little ice time.
i disagree a little bit. dumont has shown plenty of desire and grit since he was put with the youngsters..i have even seen him hit people lately. he is a bit older sure, but he doesnt look lost out there like other old men (sully). he still makes some sweet passes, and would be on the score sheet more if he played over 10 minutes regularly.

Weber had a bit of a weak game imo..for him anyway. And he is really pinching in a bit too much for my liking.

It was nice to see the team win one for pekka last night. he has bailed them out a lot this year, and he had a weak game last night, and the team helped out. good for them!

legwand had a great game!

Fisher is a nice addition to the team...face offs were amazing, back checking , blocking shots..he does a lot.

I felt like that was going to be one of those games that we should win, but wouldnt. We had the puck 70% of the time.

kivaerijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 02:34 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

IMO Fisher has been Ottawa's best player over the last two seasons & you can see why. Always makes the smart move & not the stupid blind passes, rarely gives the puck away, works hard at both ends of the ice, is hard on the puck & never takes a shift off. Great player & great guy, all the best & good luck to the Preds in the playoffs, I hope you win the cup & Fisher gets the MVP.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Good depth. Good role players. Solid goaltending for the most part. Solid defense.

But no finishers and too many times they simply couldn't capitalize on burying the puck.

Nashville is a great team no doubt about it because the team plays a great game. They put a lot of pressure on Avalanche early on and that helped.

But I couldn't help notice they had no real go to guy for offense.
It would be nice to have a guy who could capitalize on burying the puck 95% of the time, but the reality is that we'd have to completely tank to get that coveted piece of the personnel or pay so much that the team becomes strapped for cash. Instead, Nashville plays the game by committee, and I'm fine with that. I don't need a star, I want to see a hard working team with heart. Acquiring Fisher made the committee better. It may be that once he learns our system that will free up someone to become the finisher. Or he may become that. Hard to tell after one game.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
It would be nice to have a guy who could capitalize on burying the puck 95% of the time, but the reality is that we'd have to completely tank to get that coveted piece of the personnel or pay so much that the team becomes strapped for cash.
Not true about tanking. Plenty have been drafted in late first through 2nd rounds. Poile cannot draft them.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote