HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

High Risk High reward Center

Old
02-12-2011, 10:44 PM
Pengo

vCash: 500
NVM that's not his actual Twitter.

- actually it might be, but all the messages are from February 2010.

Last edited by Pengo: 02-12-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Pengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 10:48 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassian View Post
Its 2011.

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 01:20 AM
Jeremy2020

I'd be ok with him and Roy as number 1 and 2...a straight swap...possibly...giving up additional prospects/picks...No.

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 03:07 AM
sabresfan123*

most people here say our team is Better without Roy. Does that mean our Team is better without Spezza? Every other day there is a thread about how this team preforms better with Roy Gone. So Roy for Spezza....does that mean the team wouldn't preform for Spezza either? Everyone here contridicts themselves. Their is atleast 3 threads one including Vanek saying he is better without Roy. So what's the problem with trading Roy?

Secondly this team will not win unless theyu overpay for a Center with a bad contract but can put up 80-100 points. People think Kyle Turris is coming here or Brad Richards. Not going to happen. If this team wants to win they are going to have to sacrifice something and it wont be Tim Connolly.

Also you think you are going to leave Ottawa with a hole up the middle by trading Pominville for Spezza? Who is centering Ottawa's first line after that? People here should really think about the big picture and not just Buffalo. What team is giong to give up there Center without getting one back?

Last edited by sabresfan123*: 02-13-2011 at 03:15 AM.
sabresfan123* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 03:25 AM
sabresfan123*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Though he's not ideal, Andy McDonald could be a decent option depending on price. There's certainly a lot of risk involved, but there's also a decent reward potential. His deal expires after 2012-13. He has a $4.7 cap hit, but he's owed $4.2 mil for each of the final two seasons. He still has talent, and he was the top center on a Cup-winner. The problem, of course, is that he's a soft, talented, oft-injured center. Sound familiar? Over the last three seasons he's played 49, 46, and 79 games, and the most he can play this season is 58 gmaes.

All that said, the price may be low. St. Louis currently sits in 13th place, and for all the talk that they were one of the up-and-coming teams in the league after their hot finish in 2008-09, they're on the verge of missing the playoffs for the second straight season. And with capable centers already on their roster like Backes, Berglund, Steen, and McClement (and Oshie can play the pivot, too), as well as Philip McRae in the pipeline, a budget-conscious team like the Blues may be willing to dump him for cents on the dollar if for no other reason than the cap relief for the next two seasons.

I'd offer something like:

Butler (local boy from St. Louis)
2011 2nd rd pick

for

McDonald

Obviously, most of the value in that deal for the Blues is the cap relief.
Yeah cause Butler and a second is going to get McDonald from St. loius Basically our garbage for their center. This isn't nhl2012. Also the guy has had two concussions in the last two years missing almost 30 games this year and a broken ankle last year. You want him? This is the alternative to Spezza? Face Palm.

sabresfan123* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 06:20 AM
fightclubber25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan123 View Post
most people here say our team is Better without Roy. Does that mean our Team is better without Spezza? Every other day there is a thread about how this team preforms better with Roy Gone. So Roy for Spezza....does that mean the team wouldn't preform for Spezza either? Everyone here contridicts themselves. Their is atleast 3 threads one including Vanek saying he is better without Roy. So what's the problem with trading Roy?

Secondly this team will not win unless theyu overpay for a Center with a bad contract but can put up 80-100 points. People think Kyle Turris is coming here or Brad Richards. Not going to happen. If this team wants to win they are going to have to sacrifice something and it wont be Tim Connolly.

Also you think you are going to leave Ottawa with a hole up the middle by trading Pominville for Spezza? Who is centering Ottawa's first line after that? People here should really think about the big picture and not just Buffalo. What team is giong to give up there Center without getting one back?
Trade chips come in many shapes and sizes. And we shouldn't underestimate a team in rebuild mode.

fightclubber25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 08:58 AM
joechip

Send a message via Yahoo to joechip
Quote:
Most people? No a vocal minority.

Ta,

joechip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 10:23 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yeah cause Butler and a second is going to get McDonald from St. loius Basically our garbage for their center. This isn't nhl2012. Also the guy has had two concussions in the last two years missing almost 30 games this year and a broken ankle last year. You want him? This is the alternative to Spezza? Face Palm.
Would you relax. You must've skipped the part where I said the value in it for St. Louis would be the cap relief. Or the part where I said McDonald wasn't ideal, but would certainly be high-risk, high-reward. I don't post pipedream trade scenarios--i.e., Roy for Spezza--and I do my best to keep it realistic.

St. Louis is on the verge of missing the playoffs for the second straight season after most thought they were going to be a perennial power following their great finish in 2008-09. The Blues would be wise to at least consider reallocating McDonald's $4.7 cap hit to other places in the lineup, especially considering they have several good centers already--Backes, Perron, Berglund, McClement, and Oshie can play there, as well. I laid out my case for why the Blues may be willing to move him. If they're not willing, then they're not willing. Far be it from me to criticize a team unwilling to alter an otherwise unsuccessful core.

Oh, and unlike Spezza, McDonald's GM hasn't told the press that he's not being traded. So whose scenario is unrealistic?

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote