HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Murray names Spezza as first untouchable

Old
02-12-2011, 06:15 PM
thinkinfeller

vCash: 500
A 7 million dollar contract is really difficult to move, but that doesn't mean Spezza doesn't have value. He's a phenominal talent and in a non-cap world would bring a huge return to Ottawa if he were available. I would love him on the Leafs (I know it would never happen), but at his age, there is no reason why the Sens can't rebuild around him. I think it's mystifying that some seem to think you can't do a proper rebuild unless every player on your roster is 21 and under.

I do think it would make sense for the Sens to move Alfie, a move which I'm sure would be mutually beneficial for both player and team. In all likely hood he's not going to win a Cup in Ottawa, so why not start the rebuild by trading him to a contender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshots View Post
That may be some what true but i would take him and his contract over any one player the Leafs have to offer.
Idiotic statements like this are unneccesary. If you don't have an explanation, you have no reason to post.

thinkinfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 06:23 PM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkinfeller View Post
Idiotic statements like this are unneccesary. If you don't have an explanation, you have no reason to post.
Mod edit:

I'm saying that Spezza is IMO worth more than any one player on the Leafs roster. .
I would not trade Spezza straight up for any player on the Leafs roster even with his contract.
Did i explain it good enough for you to understand

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 02-13-2011 at 03:25 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary comment
mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Makes sense. Half the league are looking for #1C with flashlights. Would be silly to trade the one you have.

I am not the biggest Spezza fan, but he certainly has the skill and age to be a valuable piece of a rebuild.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 06:30 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by newellky View Post
by untouchable he means untradable
I was gonna post the same thing.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 06:40 PM
kolider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
During a rebuild it's always important to hold onto an expensive underperforming player.

This is Murray's last year in Ottawa, book it
Spezza is still a #1 Centre in the NHL whether you like it or not. He definitely has give-away issues but has gotten a lot better in his overall game the past while.

The Sens have so much cap-space anyways so it isn't like his contract numbers are damaging the team either.

#1 Centres don't grow on trees and he still a great talent in the league. If the Sens want to quickly get back on track, they need players like Spezza so they aren't a team full of rookies and 2nd-year players who can't score reliably.

In short, your post sucks.

kolider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolider View Post
Spezza is still a #1 Centre in the NHL whether you like it or not. He definitely has give-away issues but has gotten a lot better in his overall game the past while.

The Sens have so much cap-space anyways so it isn't like his contract numbers are damaging the team either.

#1 Centres don't grow on trees and he still a great talent in the league. If the Sens want to quickly get back on track, they need players like Spezza so they aren't a team full of rookies and 2nd-year players who can't score reliably.

In short, your post sucks.
This is the most tired ******** out there. He has more takeaways than giveaways, he would be around 50th in the league if everyone played the same amount of games, behind guys like Iggy, Morrow, Zetterberg, Ovie, Malkin (in 43 games, not prorated), Marleau, Alfie, Brown, St. Louis, Getzlaf, B Richards, Thornton, etc... not to mention he'd be right around Crosby.
If Spezza is a giveaway machine, so is every single top NHLer except like Datsyuk.

Oh, also, important to note than not one of those guys have more takeaways than giveaways, like Spezza does.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 07:38 PM
Strange Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
They asked Murray for his Untouchables and he started with Karlsson and Spezza, then he said Alfredsson also was a fixture.
Going back about 2 weeks ago Murray had openly said that Alfie and Karls were the only untouchables.
I guess Spezza has become the next untouchable but this is just recently.

Strange Universe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 07:42 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

Untouchable or Untradable?

Bob McKenzie told the Bill Watters show that Spezza and Gonchar were untradable. Fwiw.

Bill Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 07:54 PM
Wham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Universe View Post
Going back about 2 weeks ago Murray had openly said that Alfie and Karls were the only untouchables.
I guess Spezza has become the next untouchable but this is just recently.
Exactly, his story changes day to day. If the right deal came along he'd move Spezza just as he'd move Karlsson. Spezza ain't untouchable, he was shopped around last summer but at his current pricetag the market was weak. Teams are reevaluating their situations all the time, and desperate GM's can grease the wheels for deals of this caliber. The fact that Spezza's salary in real dollars is less than his cap hit over the remainder of his contract doesn't hurt either.

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 08:10 PM
Osprey

I'm just going on what the OP said, but if that's how the question and answer happened, then Murray did not name Spezza as an untouchable. He, in fact, evaded the question. That's clue #1 that Spezza is available for the right price. Clue #2 is that the answer that he did give was that they "really don't want to trade" him. That's practically a non-answer, since it's common for GMs to trade players that they don't "want" to trade. Murray didn't "want" to trade Fisher, either. This doesn't necessarily mean that Spezza's days are numbered, just that it'll require a significant offer. Considering his high cap hit and poor performance this season, my guess is that no one will offer enough, and Murray will be fine with that, but the speculation isn't put to rest.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 08:32 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Spezza has got to be THE most underrated player by fans of other teams on this board. If he and his contract are such a burden and so untradable for anything other than salary dumps and scraps (they aren't a burden, trust me), then why, pray tell, are there mountains and mountains of Spezza proposals from fans of other teams?

I'll answer that : its because they KNOW he's a legit first line center, and are trying to devalue him and make Sens fans drink their Kool-Aid and make us think dumping him for scraps is a good idea.

HE GOES NOWHERE WITHOUT STUPID OVERPAYMENT, AND HE IS NOT GOING TO A DIVISIONAL TEAM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
Unless Gaborik, Burns or some other ridiculous offer is made. I cannot imagine Spezza being traded. I do believe Ottawa should move Alfy though. He could net a fairly decent return from a cup contender like Detroit, San Jose or maybe even Vancouver or Chicago. I significantly doubt the latter two but hey, stranger things have happened.
Alfie writes his own ticket, as has been said by our owner, and that is how it should be. He's given everything for this team, the fans, and the city, and shown extreme loyalty from day 1 when he was drafted. The Sens will do the same in return. He ONLY goes anywhere if he asks. And Alfie has said multiple times that he will only play for the Senators, not any other NHL team. He would rather play his whole career with the team that drafted him, even though they stink this year, because as much as he wants a Cup, he's just that loyal.

Why can't people understand these things?

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Clamshells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Untouchable or Untradable?

Bob McKenzie told the Bill Watters show that Spezza and Gonchar were untradable. Fwiw.
Well if its a little of both, then I guess everybody wins.

Clamshells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 09:57 PM
TheHMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I'm just going on what the OP said, but if that's how the question and answer happened, then Murray did not name Spezza as an untouchable. He, in fact, evaded the question. That's clue #1 that Spezza is available for the right price. Clue #2 is that the answer that he did give was that they "really don't want to trade" him. That's practically a non-answer, since it's common for GMs to trade players that they don't "want" to trade. Murray didn't "want" to trade Fisher, either. This doesn't necessarily mean that Spezza's days are numbered, just that it'll require a significant offer. Considering his high cap hit and poor performance this season, my guess is that no one will offer enough, and Murray will be fine with that, but the speculation isn't put to rest.
That's not really what he was hinting at. Even the announcers who did the interview said later in the game that Spezza, Alfredsson, and Karlsson were untouchable.

There's no conspiracy or underground plan in the works. Trading either Spezza or Karlsson goes completely against the plan that the organization has laid out. Alfredsson is also part of the plan as a mentor, and it's been promised that he's in control of his own destiny. He wants to stay, so he stays.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 11:24 PM
ThisYearsModel

Someone is going to send Ottawa a #1 pick for Alfredsson?

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 11:34 PM
Retsmra2010*

This makes sense. You have to think Spezza's value is low right now so why should Murray consider trading him? Everyone knows the talent Spezza has and when he gets the players to maximize his strengths, his contract will become an afterthought. The situation in Toronto with Kessel is very similar.

Retsmra2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 11:41 PM
thinkinfeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Someone is going to send Ottawa a #1 pick for Alfredsson?
Absolutely, they got one for Fisher.

thinkinfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 01:32 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
7 mill for what he does = will not get value that they want= untouchable
As in, no one wants to touch him.

Black holes, Plutonium, the Sun are all untouchable.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 02:24 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Goon View Post
Do you just go on every Ottawa thread and post something stupid?
Lol i noticed this too. I believe his post is just to release anger since his teams 50+ goal scorer is about to barely net 30 this year.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 03:18 AM
sabresfan123*

Just curious, sabre fans think Derek Roy is better then Jason Spezza. How do Ottawa fans feel about that?

sabresfan123* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 03:22 AM
TheHMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan123 View Post
Just curious, sabre fans think Derek Roy is better then Jason Spezza. How do Ottawa fans feel about that?
People can think whatever they want to think.

I've been saying this for a while, but if you get the right coach and the right mix of players, Spezza could very easily hit 100 points. I don't care what his point totals are today, or his so called "declining play". The guy that I watch on the ice is a better player than he was in his early 20's.

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 03:30 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
This is so funny on so much levels.

1)Spezza contributed 90+ points while Roy didn't. You can't really use the excuse, "But, but...Spezza has star playerrss!" Roy had Vanek, Pomnville, Connolly, Briere etc...

2)Roy STILL has an excellent sniper in Vanek who imo is better than Heatley because he actually finds ways to score unlike Heatley who just waives his stick and waits for Spezza to put it there. He also has great young players like Ennis to work with. Yet Spezza still manages to keep steady point production with Roy. Spezza had an injured Michalek and Foligno and Alfredsson.

3)Spezza is bigger than Roy and bigger centers are a bigger commodity, long reach, much harder to knock off puck etc...

4)Spezza is a better goal-scorer than Roy and better set-up man.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 07:12 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHMan View Post
People can think whatever they want to think.

I've been saying this for a while, but if you get the right coach and the right mix of players, Spezza could very easily hit 100 points. I don't care what his point totals are today, or his so called "declining play". The guy that I watch on the ice is a better player than he was in his early 20's.
That.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 08:12 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Good to see this. Spezza's a good player and needs to be a big part of this team going forward. Get him a scoring winger in the draft or through free agency and we could see him getting 80-90 points again.

tony d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 12:42 PM
Zip15

Quote:
I can't believe Sens fans took this bait. This does not represent the majority of Sabres' fans feelings. Most rational Sabres fans believe:

A) For a team who needs centers like we do, it makes almost no sense to trade Roy for another center. We need Roy and another center;

B) Roy and Spezza have put up similar numbers over the last three seasons. Roy has a cap hit $3m per season less than Spezza, and a contract that expires before Spezza's. So we're certainly not going to be adding much, if anything, to move Roy and his great contract, and take on Spezza. In other words, the trade will never happen around these two players.

Hope that clears things up. Also, consider the source (the above poster). He flew off the handle yesterday and created a thread just to call HF Sabres fans morons. Today, he's creating false rumors over on the Oilers board (Hemsky for Pommer). Again, consider the source before taking the bait.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote