HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Benoit Pouliot appreciation thread

Old
02-13-2011, 06:53 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
He gets an average of 12 minutes a night with 3rd liners. He will never be a high producing guy with that amount of time and those linemates. If you ever want him to develop properly he needs atleast 18 minutes of decent ice time and powerplay time. Otherwise no he wont get much more than 30-40 points.

Gomez should have his ice time cut drastically to send a message. No free rides.

he's developping just fine... JM had to start from scratch with him even though he had some NHL experience... less that two years later he's at least a 40 pts player who still has potential to do more... and although he still has to work on those two facets - he's better defensively now (although still not great) and way more consistent (both production and effort)

there's little doubt in my mind he'll start next season as a top 6 LW.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 08:27 AM
Cupmonger

Quote:
He gets an average of 12 minutes a night with 3rd liners. He will never be a high producing guy with that amount of time and those linemates. If you ever want him to develop properly he needs atleast 18 minutes of decent ice time and powerplay time. Otherwise no he wont get much more than 30-40 points.

Gomez should have his ice time cut drastically to send a message. No free rides.
No doubt that his ice time limits his scoring. But in Pouliot's situation, he was placed on the top lines before and demoted. That's why he has limited time. So, it's not as if he doesn't have anything to do with that. I would like him to be playing more time. But whenever we have let him, he hasn't been much different then what he is now. He has the talent, but why isn't he using them? All the easy goals he's missed... Sry, I just don't think he deserves an appreciation thread right now. Its good he's showing flares again, but c'mon, one goal, entirely set up by somebody else, and now this thread. I hope he plays better and consistently, but he's just as streaky as AK... Both have skill, sometimes you wonder why or how they can perform so badly... Had he missed that shot last night, this thread wouldn't be around. But its to be expected from fans high on a big win vs one of our rivals.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 08:40 AM
Strokes

We would see Pouliout full potential if he's lined up with a solid passing Center and strong Power Forward. As of now I'm liking the fact that he's accepted his role and is excelling. Hopefully he finishes this season with 25 goals.

Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 08:49 AM

It's easy to forget but he doesn't even quite have the equivalent of 2 full NHL seasons under his belt. This is the first year he's been playing regular minutes (even if limited)...

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 09:20 AM
MTL-rules

He's our own Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. One minute, he's spectacular, showing off his elite skills and the next shift he does a bonehead play. He still takes too many shifts off and his confidence always seems on the verge of collapsing.

I hope he'll manage to be more consistent, because he has all the talent in the world... but time is running out.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 09:24 AM
BBrowser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
He's our own Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. One minute, he's spectacular, showing off his elite skills and the next shift he does a bonehead play. He still takes too many shifts off and his confidence always seems on the verge of collapsing.

I hope he'll manage to be more consistent, because he has all the talent in the world... but time is running out.
How so? PLENTY of time left. The guy's here for the long haul.

BBrowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 09:27 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBrowser View Post
How so? PLENTY of time left. The guy's here for the long haul.
Because he's been in the league for a fairly long time and at some point, development stops.

Old
02-13-2011, 10:01 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Because he's been in the league for a fairly long time and at some point, development stops.
Is this is a joke? He hasn't played a full season yet. He's had a couple of seasons where he's split time with the AHL and had 30-40 games.

Compared to Latendresse who's had many, many more NHL games experience. I've seen you say that we weren't patient enough with Lats and he still has room to develop.

waffledave
waffledave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 10:06 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Is this is a joke? He hasn't played a full season yet. He's had a couple of seasons where he's split time with the AHL and had 30-40 games.

Compared to Latendresse who's had many, many more NHL games experience. I've seen you say that we weren't patient enough with Lats and he still has room to develop.
Did I ever wrote that Pouilot doesn't have room to develop anymore ?

Chill out, I said that time was running out... meaning a year or two, not much more... same for Latendresse.

Old
02-13-2011, 10:11 AM
Kriss E

Quote:

I really don't know what you're talking about. This is as poor an assessment of Pouliot's play this year one can make.

Pouliot has been one of the most consistent player this year for us. He's also still developing. Martin is bringing him up nicely, not putting any extra pressure to be performing like a top 6 player. Limited ice time, limited duties. Hopefully, that helps him settle into a great player in the coming years.

You're describing A.Kost, not Pouliot.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 10:20 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I really don't know what you're talking about. This is as poor an assessment of Pouliot's play this year one can make.

Pouliot has been one of the most consistent player this year for us. He's also still developing. Martin is bringing him up nicely, not putting any extra pressure to be performing like a top 6 player. Limited ice time, limited duties. Hopefully, that helps him settle into a great player in the coming years.

You're describing A.Kost, not Pouliot.
I'm describing both...

FFS, you guys need to relax... my post wasn't an attack on Pouilot. I mean what the hell, we just cannot be critical anymore. I know some of you consider the habs a religion, but you don't have to bring your wrath on me like this.

In order to evaluate a player, you need to look at both his forces and weaknesses, that's what I did.

I'm looking at the development curve of a player to assess his "value" and future projection. What I see is a little stagnation on Pouilot's development compare to let say Subban's, Weber's or Desharnais's.

Calm down.

Old
02-13-2011, 10:49 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
I'm describing both...

FFS, you guys need to relax... my post wasn't an attack on Pouilot. I mean what the hell, we just cannot be critical anymore. I know some of you consider the habs a religion, but you don't have to bring your wrath on me like this.

In order to evaluate a player, you need to look at both his forces and weaknesses, that's what I did.

I'm looking at the development curve of a player to assess his "value" and future projection. What I see is a little stagnation on Pouilot's development compare to let say Subban's, Weber's or Desharnais's.

Calm down.
I think you're the one that needs to relax.
You can criticize anybody that deserves it, Pouliot doesn't. He's been one of our most consistent scorers since the beginning of the season. His point production/ice time is among the best on our team. As I said, your assessment of him this season is very poor.

Old
02-13-2011, 10:52 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
I think you're the one that needs to relax.
You can criticize anybody that deserves it, Pouliot doesn't. He's been one of our most consistent scorers since the beginning of the season. His point production/ice time is among the best on our team. As I said, your assessment of him this season is very poor.
I'm not the one who jump with accusations to start with. I'm very calm and it's not because he had a good game last night that he doesn't have any holes in his game.

My assessment is not "poor", you might disagree with it, but yours isn't better or worse... none of us here are professionals, we only have our opinions, period.

Old
02-13-2011, 10:58 AM
Cupmonger

Quote:
I'm not the one who jump with accusations to start with. I'm very calm and it's not because he had a good game last night that he doesn't have any holes in his game.

My assessment is not "poor", you might disagree with it, but yours isn't better or worse... none of us here are professionals, we only have our opinions, period.
I fully agree with you've said. Pouliot has still improving to do. I do hope he becomes a good player for us in the future. But he scores the game winner in a big win, and somehow he's worth praise. Yes, he's 23 points in 54 games, in what could be his first full season. Which is pretty good. But he still has improvment to do. First off, he needs to be able to get back on one of the top two lines for more ice time. We've put him there a few times already, we all know he got demoted back down fairly fast. I guess we should keep him with DD for now, I don't think its a coincidence Pouliot has been looking better ever since he's been paired with DD. I have hopes for him like the next guy, but yea, people around here need to learn not to get too high on a big win or, not to rage so much in a bad game.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 11:03 AM
Kriss E

Quote:

I didn't accuse you of anything. I said your assessment is poor.
Opinions can be bad and flawed. Yours is about Pouliot.

Pouliot has flaws like anybody else, but he's having a great year. You said he's inconsistent, one shift good, the next he disappears or make bonehead plays. That's simply not true. Pouliot has played well this season, off games happen, but overall he's been great at fulfilling his role. He's being used as a 3rd liner, with limited ice time, and managed to give us some much needed offensive depth. His pt/TOI ratio which is among the best on our team further proves my point.

Old
02-13-2011, 11:17 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
I didn't accuse you of anything. I said your assessment is poor.
Opinions can be bad and flawed. Yours is about Pouliot.

Pouliot has flaws like anybody else, but he's having a great year. You said he's inconsistent, one shift good, the next he disappears or make bonehead plays. That's simply not true. Pouliot has played well this season, off games happen, but overall he's been great at fulfilling his role. He's being used as a 3rd liner, with limited ice time, and managed to give us some much needed offensive depth. His pt/TOI ratio which is among the best on our team further proves my point.
Ok then, your evaluation sucks...

If he was so steady, like you say, he would have been a steady lock on our Top 6. Fact is that a very struggling Eller, a grinder with not much talent in Darche and a bottom 6 player in Moen had more confidence from Martin to be used in an important role.

You can also look at his play and you'll see that he can disapear for long stretches at a time and them, bang, 2-3 great games. Yopu could even watch it during games. He can have one great shift follow by very bad ones...

He's been steady alright... meaning he hasn't been able to be consistent with his play all year long.

Is he having a bad year ? No. Is he a lost cause ? No. Is he going to be a solid Top 6 forwards for years to come ? Maybe... we don't know yet, he has shown great promises, but also some concerning habits.

This is again well known around the team...

Old
02-13-2011, 12:56 PM
Loner

Like Latendresse, Pouliot doesn't have the speed of execution for PP and doesn't want to go in the front of the net like Pacioretty or Desharnais. His play style make him more efficients at even strength.

Loner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Dekar

In the Habs/Leafs game, I made a list of every Basic Technique fail the Habs' players made. For the next week, I'll track Pouliot's good-play-vs-bad-play ratio, and come back with the results each game.

5 bucks says I completely forget to do this come next game.

Last edited by Dekar: 02-13-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 03:53 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Pouliot plays like a center. It's obvious. He has the speed and size and the awareness to be a center. He has long strides and in a second, you see him go from the wing to the center or other side in what appears to be effortless. He has a pass first menality, and is creative. I'm not suggesting to make him a center(although he originally was one), I'm merely saying he's a versatile player.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 04:21 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Pouliot can make some very nifty moves - sometimes they are moves I didn't think possible. And his shot must be deceiving. Seems like he scores plenty on just bad angle shots. I hope he gets stronger on his skates.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Ok then, your evaluation sucks...

If he was so steady, like you say, he would have been a steady lock on our Top 6. Fact is that a very struggling Eller, a grinder with not much talent in Darche and a bottom 6 player in Moen had more confidence from Martin to be used in an important role.

You can also look at his play and you'll see that he can disapear for long stretches at a time and them, bang, 2-3 great games. Yopu could even watch it during games. He can have one great shift follow by very bad ones...

He's been steady alright... meaning he hasn't been able to be consistent with his play all year long.

Is he having a bad year ? No. Is he a lost cause ? No. Is he going to be a solid Top 6 forwards for years to come ? Maybe... we don't know yet, he has shown great promises, but also some concerning habits.

This is again well known around the team...
What in God's name are you talking about?

Pouliot is being limited to a 3rd line role because it's how Martin wants to bring him up. Pouliot is coming off a shaky year and has confidence issues. Martin put him on the second line to begin the year. He had 2pts in 2gp and then was moved down.
Pouliot is the 2nd most effective scorer at ES on our team. Only Plekanec produces at a better rate than him at ES.
Martin is limiting his role because he believes it's the proper way to deal with Pouliot's development, it has nothing to do with not trusting him more than a plugger.

You have nothing to counter the FACT that Pouliot is our 2nd most effective scorer. Does he go through streaks? Yea, like most players

Old
02-13-2011, 05:41 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

I have a Pouliot jersey and rock quite often. I got it after he beat up Redden last year.

When the habs won 3-0 in Ottawa and Pools scored, I was there with it. People weren't too happy with the Pools jersey.

Some of them were hab fans. Didn't even like the guy. Said he got lucky that game.

Another hab fan asked why I would waste money on a Pouliot jersey.

It's not common like Cammalleri and he's a player we truly need. (we need cams, but we need pools because he has size and skill)

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 05:48 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupmonger View Post
No doubt that his ice time limits his scoring. But in Pouliot's situation, he was placed on the top lines before and demoted. That's why he has limited time. So, it's not as if he doesn't have anything to do with that. I would like him to be playing more time. But whenever we have let him, he hasn't been much different then what he is now. He has the talent, but why isn't he using them? All the easy goals he's missed... Sry, I just don't think he deserves an appreciation thread right now. Its good he's showing flares again, but c'mon, one goal, entirely set up by somebody else, and now this thread. I hope he plays better and consistently, but he's just as streaky as AK... Both have skill, sometimes you wonder why or how they can perform so badly... Had he missed that shot last night, this thread wouldn't be around. But its to be expected from fans high on a big win vs one of our rivals.
I don't really care about his stats. Just watching him play you can tell he is way too talented for his teammates. Numerous times I have seen him control the game in the offensive zone only to have no help . Yes when he got here he had no confidence but that has changed and he deserves a shot with Pleks. Sticking anyone with gomez is career suicide. If you don't put him with a great playmaker like Pleks he wont develop into a power forward, instead he will become a 2 way player with mediocre offense suited for 3rd line roles and that would be a waste of talent.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 06:02 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
I don't really care about his stats. Just watching him play you can tell he is way too talented for his teammates. Numerous times I have seen him control the game in the offensive zone only to have no help . Yes when he got here he had no confidence but that has changed and he deserves a shot with Pleks. Sticking anyone with gomez is career suicide. If you don't put him with a great playmaker like Pleks he wont develop into a power forward, instead he will become a 2 way player with mediocre offense suited for 3rd line roles and that would be a waste of talent.

ha hasnt play with Gomez in a long while in case you didnt notice...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 06:12 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
ha hasnt play with Gomez in a long while in case you didnt notice...
Yes but they played together on the 2nd line and he was demoted and everyone blamed him for gomez lack of production. Today it is clear who the real dead weight was on that line but most people on this forum blamed Pouliot.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote