HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preds acquire Fisher

Old
02-12-2011, 12:56 PM
MatthewT

vCash: 500
Will Fisher play tonight?

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
Will Fisher play tonight?
He should definitely be in the lineup, he was on the ice for morning skate. So was Svatos, but Erat and Sullivan weren't...

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 01:48 PM
predwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Yikes. I didn't think we'd go after him. Legwand and Lombardi are the exact same type of player.
I believe I heard Poile say Lombardi is probably out for the season, perhaps this pushed his hand, unsure that we'd get Lombardi back or not.

predwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by predwings View Post
I believe I heard Poile say Lombardi is probably out for the season, perhaps this pushed his hand, unsure that we'd get Lombardi back or not.
Listening to the whole conference call from yesterday with the media he specifically said Lombardi has made some progress in light workouts and if he could make it back this year that would be a fantastic addition for the playoffs, but that Lombardi would definitely be ready for next year. How he knows that is anyone's guess though...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 02:49 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Glad to hear Svatos is skating. I really liked the line of 33-11-40. They were really doing well. If Svatos gets healthy and he can turn into 30 goal Svatos that shoots from all angles, its going to be hella awesome to see what this team does.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by predwings View Post
My comment was mostly geared towards next season, since Fisher is signed for 2 more years after this. Just for this season I love the move. For future seasons I'm not so sure. But I don't know what Poile's offseason plans are so I probably shouldn't judge so early.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 04:32 PM
SK74 Snipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goc Ya View Post
IMO Cal is gone. We keep Goc.
Unfortunately if we have to give up someone like Cal then it's going to turn into another Rich Peverley. I think Cal will eventually be good for at least 30-40 points a season.

SK74 Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 11:04 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

1 assist, 12\16 on faceoffs, +2, 18:02 TOI, and perfect screen on the Weber's goal.

Not a bad debut for Fish.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2011, 11:06 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
kind of incredible that he took 16 faceoffs in his first game.

does goc normally take a lot of those faceoffs?

02-13-2011, 01:13 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

I know everyone is going to hate me for saying this but...you guys overpaid for Fisher. He's a great guy and a great center but he's 30 and hasn't scored more than 25 goals in a season. This team needs finishers...It's kind of like Minnesota and grabbing Cullen.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 01:19 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
1 assist, 12\16 on faceoffs, +2, 18:02 TOI, and perfect screen on the Weber's goal.
I realize this is a typo, but I think our captain's name should permanently have a definite article attached to it.

Fisher played fine. Still not sold on this move, but he played fine.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 01:25 AM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK74 Snipes View Post
Unfortunately if we have to give up someone like Cal then it's going to turn into another Rich Peverley. I think Cal will eventually be good for at least 30-40 points a season.
Yea but Peverley couldnt be anymore of just an average player (like Cal). Im glad that he made a statement his first season gone but now he isnt anything Id even consider adding to our roster let alone miss him. Goc is way more complete and can play any line from 1st to 4th and still contribute. Thats who our team is made out of. IMO Cal holds no value to us from now and to the future.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 01:38 AM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Yea we simply wont need cal with all these players we have, unless big moves were made which seems less likely to happen every passing day. Peverly is a good player and i hated that move when it was made but now i dont care

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 01:38 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
I know everyone is going to hate me for saying this but...you guys overpaid for Fisher. He's a great guy and a great center but he's 30 and hasn't scored more than 25 goals in a season. This team needs finishers...It's kind of like Minnesota and grabbing Cullen.
We paid for Fisher because we needed him. Our team scores goals when we're healthy and rolling our three decent lines, but we need three solid centers (plus Smithson as a utility man) and didn't have them. Fisher also adds more physical play than our other centers. Overall, Trotz doesn't have to figure out any big new roles, he just plugs Fisher in and it's an upgrade over what we had without him.

Poile disliked parting with a first (and I'm sure the extras as well) but he had to improve the lineup. At least it could/should be a later first and the supplemental only happens if we're happy because we advanced in the playoffs. Considering our real need for a center right now, it's not too bad, even for only having Fisher for two more years.

I really liked what Fisher brought in his first game. The Preds were better.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 02-13-2011 at 01:56 AM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 09:23 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Anyone who believes we overpaid for fisher should wait and see what gets given up for pure rentals on deadline day. I suspect we will come out looking pretty savvy

Last edited by PredsV82: 02-13-2011 at 01:24 PM. Reason: fat fingers cause bad spelling
PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 09:50 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
I wouldn't hate you after reading that, but i wouldn't respect your hockey opinion as much.

Fisher is one of the most under rated players in the league. He is not healthy right now, but when he is he will become one of the best players nashville has ever had on it's roster. Even at 30!

Hockey is not all about points. He's one of the most effective two way, physical, smart, determined warriors in the league.

I don't think Nashville needs him to score more than 25, but i wouldn't be surprised if he gets 30 and 60+ pts next year. He fits in perfectly there,imo.
Time will tell.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 10:41 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

To be honest, O'Reilly is in the Peverley/Santorelli mold. Good offensive centers who aren't going to give you an all around game. Fisher gives you the all-around game, the Predators way.

Lombardi
Fisher
Legwand
Smithson

That's just insanely deep center wise. I would like to see Goc re-signed and O'Reilly shipped off. Nothing against ORLY it's just that I prefer Goc better. Lombardi and Fisher should lock up the top two spots in the center rotation and Legwand the 3rd line duties.

Smithson, Spaling are the 4th line and I'm beginning to think that if Goc isn't coming maybe Ward is to lock up the Ward-Smithson-Spaling line.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 11:20 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Anyone who believes we overpaid for fisher shoulkd wait and see what gets given up for pure renrtals on deadline day. I suspect we will come out looking pretty savvy
I hope you are right ... the top 4 of the second round better not turn into # 13 of the 2nd round ... NJ has been eye of the sun hot of late

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 11:31 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK74 Snipes View Post
Oh no, where will we ever find someone who can produce 30-40 points a season?!

If that's all Cal is good for, then we shouldn't even qualify him in July. I would wager that there are at least 50 centers in the NHL that could put up better numbers, and even more that could put up similar numbers,with Goc being one of the latter AND being a better fit for the organization as a player.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 12:30 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best WorstPoster View Post
I wouldn't hate you after reading that, but i wouldn't respect your hockey opinion as much.

Fisher is one of the most under rated players in the league. He is not healthy right now, but when he is he will become one of the best players nashville has ever had on it's roster. Even at 30!

Hockey is not all about points. He's one of the most effective two way, physical, smart, determined warriors in the league.

I don't think Nashville needs him to score more than 25, but i wouldn't be surprised if he gets 30 and 60+ pts next year. He fits in perfectly there,imo.
Time will tell.
Time will tell but watching Nashville last night, I just noticed that they simply don't have a guy that can score at will like Radulov. Hornqvist hopefully can be molded into a finisher but...

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 12:49 PM
Reviled
Partisan

Next Year:

Lombardi
Fisher
Goc/Legwand
Smithson/Spalling
Wilson

Our centers seem to go down with injury, en masse. Wilson, Legs, Smithson, and Spalling can all play wing without merely taking up space as backup players/spare parts. We could weather 3 centers injured and only then need a first callup.

Last edited by Reviled: 02-13-2011 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Forgot to actually type 'Wilson'...duh.
Reviled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 01:26 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Congrats on acquiring Mike Fisher one of the best two way players in Sens history. He can do everything well including dropping the gloves. He has won fights over Tucker, Walker, Avery, Handsus (6'5") & Hedman (6'6") to name a few, he is very underrated as a fighter. He & his wife will also do great things in your community with numerous charities. You got a great guy on & off the ice, a real fan favourite & we'll miss him.

He is not overpaid for what he brings to the table, he can score, he can play on the PP, he can be a powerforward, he can block shots & play on the PP, he can fight, he is good at faceoffs, he will go into the corners & the dirty areas. He's a fast skater, he hits hard & play the game any way you want, he is simply good at everything just not great at certain things, worth every penny on & off the ice. Management will love this guy because he & his wife will put bums in the seats & be the most popular couple in Nashville soon, you won't meet a more humble & genuine nice guy. All the best to the Preds in future.

aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 01:27 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
I hope you are right ... the top 4 of the second round better not turn into # 13 of the 2nd round ... NJ has been eye of the sun hot of late
doesnt realy matter. I suspect its a crapshoot getting a good player at 32/33 vs 38/39.

thay arent likely to climb over more than 4 or 5 teams, even if they keep playing well. 10th in the east will still likely only be ahead of 2 or 3 teams in the west.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 03:51 PM
Noldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Underwood is just way more famous than Fisher, not just in Nashville.

Probably at least 80% of America knows Carrie Underwood, probably less than 1% know Mike Fisher. .05% if he's lucky.

I think he'll be OK being called Mr. Underwood.
How would you Nashville fans react, if Nashville jerseys with #12 and name "Mr. Underwood" start appear to the stands? Would it be considered a jersey foul or just great news?

Noldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 03:53 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Does anyone have\know of where to find NHL on the Fly from last night? I'd like to see the Fisher interview. Apparently really praised the crowd last night.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote